PDA

View Full Version : KC STAR - Pollard pretty special.

Douche Baggins
10-09-2006, 02:42 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15712865.htm

Pollard pretty special
Rookie’s punt block is one of many highlights on a productive day for the Chiefs’ special teams.
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

GLENDALE, Ariz. | Chiefs rookie Bernard Pollard holds the school record at Purdue for blocked kicks. He was hoping to make an impact in that area in the NFL.

It happened in the second quarter of Sunday’s 23-20 win over the Cardinals. Pollard blocked a Scott Player punt, and the ball went out of bounds at the Arizona 6.

Larry Johnson soon caught a touchdown pass that helped the Chiefs recover from an early 14-0 deficit.

“I got in the first time and almost got it,” said Pollard, who blocked five kicks in college, including three punts. “The next time I could feel that sting on my arm, and that’s when I knew I got it. That sting is the best feeling in the world. I’ll take it anytime.”

Pollard’s block was only part of a strong special-teams game by the Chiefs. Lawrence Tynes made all three of his field-goal attempts, including a 19-yarder that gave the Chiefs the winning points with 1 minute, 36 seconds remaining.

Dustin Colquitt had a punting average of better than 50 yards.

None of that would have mattered without Pollard’s blocked punt. The Chiefs during the week thought they could overwhelm Marcel Shipp, the blocker on Pollard’s side.

Sure enough, that’s what happened.

“It doesn’t really matter because the way I play and the way our team plays, we’re going to line up on you and beat you,” Pollard said. “We’re going to line up and beat you, regardless of whatever scheme you run.”

Tynes, meanwhile, was grateful for the perfect playing conditions at the Cardinals’ University of Phoenix Stadium. The Chiefs played in rain against Cincinnati in the opener at Arrowhead Stadium and gusty winds the following week in Denver.

But everything was calm Sunday. The stadium roof was closed because of early-fall desert heat.

Tynes made a 45-yard field goal for the Chiefs’ first points and a 40-yarder midway through the fourth quarter that tied the score 20-20. Then came the game-winner.

“It was a short kick,” Tynes said. “You’re going to make 99 out of 100 of those. But it’s still a game-winner, and you’ll take those anytime.”

Tynes and his teammates had to sweat out a 51-yard field-goal try by Arizona’s Neil Rackers in the final seconds. Rackers was a Pro Bowler last season, when he made six of seven field goals of 50 yards or more.

Rackers made earlier field-goal attempts from 41 and 45 yards but didn’t appear to be hitting the ball with his normal pop. His final attempt was wide right.

“He’s going to make 75 percent of those in this stadium,” Tynes said. “He’s the best kicker in the NFC. We thought about calling timeout there, but it seemed like they were rushing it a little bit.”

Arizona coach Dennis Green said: “There’s nothing easy about it. You always want it to be closer, and there’s no such thing as a gimme, whether it’s 37 yards, which he knows very well, or 51 yards.”

Douche Baggins
10-09-2006, 02:43 AM
“He’s going to make 75 percent of those in this stadium,” Tynes said. “He’s the best kicker in the NFC."

And you, you ****ing stud, are the best kicker in the NFL.