PDA

View Full Version : How can this O get better and a chance to make the postseason?

chiefsfan1963
10-09-2006, 10:21 AM
I know most are glad to see DV gone, but let's face facts we can argue all about his failings to produce a decent D but he produced one of the finest O's this franchise has ever witnessed. Top 3 or 5 in the league the past 5 years.

There's no way Herm can match DV on O, but like DV needing a top 15 in D how can Herm get a top 15 O this season and have a chance to make the postseason?

keg in kc
10-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Just a guess, but improved o-line play, less dropped passes and Trent Green under center is what will get the O into the top 15.

Dick "God" Vermeil and Al "Jesus" Saunders wouldn't have been any better under the same circumstances. Because the issues are all execution, injuries or retirement.

|Zach|
10-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Yup execution.

FAX
10-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Hmmm.

Better play at OT?

FAX

chiefsfan1963
10-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Just a guess, but improved o-line play, less dropped passes and Trent Green under center is what will get the O into the top 15.

Dick "God" Vermeil and Al "Jesus" Saunders wouldn't have been any better under the same circumstances. Because the issues are all execution, injuries or retirement.

Don't bet on Trent just coming in and being our savior. He's hurt, and he may not be the same QB when he comes back. He may never.

That being said I hope you're right.

Like you I'm a fan and I'm betting on the same thing.

BigChiefFan
10-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Less turnovers.

chiefsfan1963
10-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Less turnovers.

you're right given the fact that this O is a shell of itself the past 5 years, they can ill afford turnovers and dropped passes.

that may be too much to ask though.

|Zach|
10-09-2006, 10:49 AM
you're right given the fact that this O is a shell of itself the past 5 years, they can ill afford turnovers and dropped passes.

I gotta say, after those losses I am surprised you are here. You usually tuck tail and run...stop watching games. Congrats.

CupidStunt
10-09-2006, 10:50 AM
The offensive line absolutely stinks. We can barely protect Huard and I've never seen a Chiefs unit run block so poorly.

And yes, turnovers lose you football games.

TRR
10-09-2006, 10:50 AM

I disagree whole-heartedly. I think this O looks exactly the same as it has the last 5 seasons. Herm has changed the mindset, but the motion, the trickery, etc...It's all still there. Obviously the execution has hurt this offense. Anytime you have to replace your RT, LT, FB, and QB, there's going to be some change. However, I think our Offense has looked about the same, especially in the last 2 weeks.

chiefsfan1963
10-09-2006, 10:53 AM
I disagree whole-heartedly. I think this O looks exactly the same as it has the last 5 seasons. Herm has changed the mindset, but the motion, the trickery, etc...It's all still there. Obviously the execution has hurt this offense. Anytime you have to replace your RT, LT, FB, and QB, there's going to be some change. However, I think our Offense has looked about the same, especially in the last 2 weeks.
ROFL

beer bacon
10-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Right now the Chiefs are 19th in total offense and 14th in scoring offense. We are also 9th in ToP.

Deberg_1990
10-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Execution. Especially during critical 3rd downs.(always been a problem, even in the DV era)

Better players on the O-Line. Cant fix that this year. We just have to wait it out this year and hope they improve.

noa
10-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Huard got sacked 3 times yesterday, had a couple passes batted down at the line, and we couldn't block for LJ. The OLine needs to step it up next week or its going to be a long day. Pitssburgh is going to be aggressive with their blitzes.

ChiefsCountry
10-09-2006, 11:54 AM

I agree the offense looks the same, just we are missing some key personal that doesn't put up the dizzying scoring numbers.

FringeNC
10-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I agree that this offense has to get better for us to beat good teams. Arizona sucks -- they have up 262 rushing to the Falcons! I've never seen the Chiefs' running game shut down like yesterday. It has to be near a franchise low for yardage on the ground.

If the defense is so focused on stopping the run, there should be receivers running open downfield, yet we refused to throw downfield because we were afraid of taking sacks.

Either our offense line really, really sucks or our game-plan sucked yesterday.

If we can't run against Arizona, how are we going to run against good defenses? I don't think we can make the playoffs with Jordan Black at left tackle. Turley or Welbourn maybe, but not Black. Also, the play-calling needs to adjust to exploit what the D is doing. We didn't start throwing downfield until late in the 4th quarter. And we started moving the ball.

Getting Green back won't be enough with Black at left tackle.

JimNasium
10-09-2006, 12:37 PM
I agree that this offense has to get better for us to beat good teams. Arizona sucks -- they have up 262 rushing to the Falcons! I've never seen the Chiefs' running game shut down like yesterday. It has to be near a franchise low for yardage on the ground.

If the defense is so focused on stopping the run, there should be receivers running open downfield, yet we refused to throw downfield because we were afraid of taking sacks.

If we can't run against Arizona, how are we going to run against good defenses? I don't think we can make the playoffs with Jordan Black at left tackle. Turley or Welbourn maybe, but not Black. Also, the play-calling needs to adjust to exploit what the D is doing. We didn't start throwing downfield until late in the 4th quarter. And we started moving the ball.

I put this in another thread but I'll throw it in here too. If you get Welborne and Turley back plus Green under center to stretch the field the running game will return.

tk13
10-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. That should be our #1 priority right now. We're 3-1 if we win the turnover battle, and probably look like an elite AFC team.

Basileus777
10-09-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree that this offense has to get better for us to beat good teams. Arizona sucks -- they have up 262 rushing to the Falcons!

Thats probably not the best example. The Falcons have destroyed everyone on the ground they have played except for the Saints. We are a team that is better running it up the middle this year. The Cardinals have some great play from their big DTs and clogged up the middle. The Falcons run game is completely different from ours. Their finesse zone blocking scheme eats alive big slow defensive lines. The Cardinals run D isn't as bad as it looked against Atlanta.

Jilly
10-09-2006, 12:54 PM
a Tony R. type fullback and a smarter right tackle; not calling a run on the third down when it didn't work the first 2 times

KCChiefsFan88
10-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Offensive Line, Offensive Line and Offensive Line.

The only way the Chiefs are really going to be able to open things up is if the QB (Huard or Trent) has time to drop back and the WRs have time to get downfield on deep passing plays.

elvomito
10-09-2006, 01:07 PM
one problem from last year that carried over is redzone offense. we simply must get better

chiefsfan1963
10-09-2006, 05:20 PM

:clap:

JohnnyV13
10-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Its all about the o line. The mediocre O line play has taken Tony G. out of the game and that has seriously hurt our passing game.

Getting Welbourne, Turley and Green back will help, but we won't be up to our normal standard.

Calcountry
10-09-2006, 05:45 PM
I put this in another thread but I'll throw it in here too. If you get Welborne and Turley back plus Green under center to stretch the field the running game will return.The third and 6, before we punted the last time, I was calling for a screen. I hadn't remembered a screen to LJ being called all day.

Perhaps Solari was just saving it for the knockout. He surely had them set up for it. With all the passes to the flat, and the quick drops. Their Dline was so agressive to the ball, that they were bent over for it.

They got it.

I have to give Solari credit for saving it. The longer he waited to pull that trigger, really set it up for the big play that it was.

chiefsfan1963
10-15-2006, 11:47 PM

Do you still feel this is the same O? Missing DV/AS. Our D is better though. :)

Logical
10-16-2006, 12:23 AM

Got to agree, who did not see this coming when Roaf retired and Welbourn opted out. That coupled with letting TRich go made this outcome obvious.

Count Zarth
10-16-2006, 12:25 AM
I don't understand why our run-blocking has fallen off the ****ing shelf. In 2000 we couldn't run the ball for shite all of a sudden after doing it for years. It was because the team lacked "want-to" when it came to the running game.

Run blocking is all about attitude and effort. What the hell happened?

KCWolfman
10-16-2006, 12:38 AM
I don't think it was Vermeil as much as it was Saunders.

King_Chief_Fan
10-16-2006, 06:10 AM
I don't think it was Vermeil as much as it was Saunders.

really? Have you seen Washington play lately?

MahiMike
10-16-2006, 07:17 AM

You couldn't be more wrong. Herm took the best O in football and made us all say 'O ma gawd! Where is Al?'

htismaqe
10-16-2006, 08:17 AM
It's official, 1963 is a ****ing moron.

I REALLY wish Al had come back. It would be fun to watch what douchebag would say when Al fails.

Wait...Al IS failing. In Washington. Without Willie Roaf, Al is AVERAGE. And that's a FACT.

Easy 6
10-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Yup execution.
My teams execution...................I'm in favor of it!!!

ChiefsCountry
10-16-2006, 09:36 AM
What was Saunders record when he was head coach in San Diego?