View Full Version : Student, 13, fires AK-47 in Joplin School

dirk digler
10-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Student, 13, fires AK-47 in Missouri school
POSTED: 1:00 p.m. EDT, October 9, 2006
Adjust font size:
Decrease fontDecrease font
Enlarge fontEnlarge font

JOPLIN, Missouri (AP) -- A 13-year-old student fired an AK-47 inside his middle school Monday morning after confronting two others students and his principal, but no one was injured, authorities said.

The student was wearing a mask and pointed the assault rifle at Principal Steve Gilbreth, Assistant Superintendent Steve Doerr and two students, saying, "not to make me do this," Superintendent Jim Simpson said.

Simpson said the teen then fired a shot into the ceiling, breaking a water pipe, and said again, "Please don't make me do this."

"It was a very close call," Simpson said.

Doerr and Gilbreth persuaded the student to leave the building, where he was confronted by two police officers with weapons drawn. The student dropped the rifle and was taken into custody, Simpson said. The student's identity was not released.

Joplin police Officer Curt Farmer said officers found a note in the student's backpack indicating that he had placed an explosive in the school, which has about 700 students. Students in the school were moved to nearby Joplin Memorial Hall, and the school was closed while officers searched the building.

The student was wearing a mask and apparently had been planning an attack for a "long time," Simpson said. He didn't elaborate and said authorities did not know whether others were involved.

Joplin, which has about 40,900 residents, is in southwest Missouri, on the Kansas border about 140 miles south of Kansas City.

Schools across the country have been on alert after three deadly school shootings in three states in the span of a week, and several schools have been locked down or closed entirely during the past two weeks because of threats.

el borracho
10-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Beat his ass within an inch od his life and then lock up whoever helped him acquire an AK-47.

Coach
10-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Jesus... how the hell did a 13 year old get a goddamned rifle and explosives?

Unbelieveable. :shake:

FAX
10-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Somebody's been shopping at the AK-47 store again.

FAX

dirk digler
10-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Seriously where can you purchase an AK-47 and how would a 13 yr old get one?

DMAC
10-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Seriously where can you purchase an AK-47 and how would a 13 yr old get one?He probably swiped it from his old man.

bogie
10-09-2006, 12:31 PM

Porbably from DAD, dumb ass daddy.

bogie
10-09-2006, 12:31 PM
He probably swiped it from his old man.

yep

JBucc
10-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Damn.

Cochise
10-09-2006, 12:34 PM

Well, they are legal in semi-automatic configuration.

Mr. Kotter
10-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Damn, Republicans.

What are they teaching their children? :cuss:

:)

dirk digler
10-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Damn, Republicans.

I am surprised you didn't post Bush is da debil

Radar Chief
10-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Seriously where can you purchase an AK-47

Just ‘bout any gun shop.
Back in the day, you could get an AK for ‘round $150. Though, since the Clinton bans were repealed, I haven’t seen one for under $300.
Same with SKS’s. I bought one pre-ban for $60 still in the Cosmoline, pack’n grease. I haven’t seen one since for less than $150.

and how would a 13 yr old get one?

Stolen? From an irresponsible adult? A combination of the two? :shrug:

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Damn when I leave town everything gets exciting. The most boring town in Missouri and the day I leave it gets exciting.

Cochise
10-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Damn when I leave town everything gets exciting. The most boring town in Missouri and the day I leave it gets exciting.

Maybe you forgot to lock the gun cabinet when you left? :p

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Jesus... how the hell did a 13 year old get a goddamned rifle and explosives?

Unbelieveable. :shake:

Try this place

Brandon's Gun Trading Company
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ebLorLuqM

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Maybe you forgot to lock the gun cabinet when you left? :p

Prob so.

Bob Dole
10-09-2006, 01:46 PM
Damn, Republicans.

It's not the Republicans that are the problem. It's the immigrants from Colorado.

L.A. Chieffan
10-09-2006, 01:48 PM
another day, another high school shooting. Im gonna have to send my kids to school wearing flak jackets

kcfanXIII
10-09-2006, 01:55 PM
unfortunatly, irresponsible gun ownership is a huge problem in america. they make it easy for the left to push their anti gun agenda.

Garcia Bronco
10-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I think you start putting these kids up as adults and put them away for life...or...put them to death. Then we'll see how many of these wannabe nutjobs come out of the wood work.

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 03:08 PM
unfortunatly, irresponsible gun ownership is a huge problem in america. they make it easy for the left to push their anti gun agenda.

you think?

Cochise
10-09-2006, 03:10 PM
I think you start putting these kids up as adults and put them away for life...or...put them to death. Then we'll see how many of these wannabe nutjobs come out of the wood work.

Good idea.

Jayhawkerman2001
10-09-2006, 03:10 PM
It's all about crappy parents... Too often nowadays parents are letting their kids have way too much damned slack with everything. Its horrible. Theres no way in hell I'd even come close to being able to sneak an ak-47 past my parents without them calling the cops on my ass for having it, thats how much they actually cared.

ChiefsCountry
10-09-2006, 03:14 PM

That and if the media didnt have to blow every one of these up as a huge event that makes wannabes want to do it.

Kerberos
10-09-2006, 03:26 PM
It's all about crappy parents... Too often nowadays parents are letting their kids have way too much damned slack with everything. Its horrible. Theres no way in hell I'd even come close to being able to sneak an ak-47 past my parents without them calling the cops on my ass for having it, thats how much they actually cared.

I was under the impression that if a parent REALLY cared they might just lock the goddammed thing up in a gun safe or to a gun rack on the wall.

Every flippn gun in our house growing up was either in a safe or locked to a gun rack. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Jayhawkerman2001
10-09-2006, 03:30 PM
I was under the impression that if a parent REALLY cared they might just lock the goddammed thing up in a gun safe or to a gun rack on the wall.

Every flippn gun in our house growing up was either in a safe or locked to a gun rack. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Thats the point I was making, of course my parents wouldnt call the cops on me. When my parents had kids they actually sold the guns off that my dad had. Way too many iresponsible parents out there.

stevieray
10-09-2006, 03:31 PM

might as well, we treat them like adults in almost every other scenario.

Saulbadguy
10-09-2006, 03:35 PM

"What good would my gun do if it was locked up?"

HC_Chief
10-09-2006, 03:38 PM

Yep.

That, and "ADD" drugs. Of course, that ties back into the first point: 'Billy' is hyperactrive and mom & dad refuse to deal with it or give the kid a healthy conduit for their energy (sports, chores, or some other productive physical activity). No, instead they go get a prescription filled and voila, Billy appears miraculously transformed. Only problem is these same drugs often turn little Billy into a psychotic nutball.

jidar
10-09-2006, 03:43 PM

Which would have zero impact on anything at all other than making us look barbaric.
Increased consequences isn't a detterant to children.

Kerberos
10-09-2006, 03:46 PM
"What good would my gun do if it was locked up?"

I have no problem keeping a gun in a locked drawer in your bedroom as long as it would take a chainsaw or better to get it out minus having the key.

If you need home protection a baseball bat to someones knees puts'em on the ground real fast. Or a pair of chucks to the temple is a real burglary buster.

Seriously.... if you have kids in the house guns need to be locked up IMHO.

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 03:49 PM
9:40 a.m. Details emerging on shooting

A 13-year-old student was wearing a “makeshift mask” when he entered Memorial Middle School this morning and had been planning an attack for a “long time” that apparently included an intent to use explosives in some manner.

Joplin schools Superintendent Jim Simpson, at a news conference this morning outside Memorial Middle School, said the student pointed an assault rifle at two students and at two school administrators, Memorial Principal Steve Gilbreth and Assistant Superintendent Steve Doerr.

School officials say the student pointed the gun at the two men, asked them “not to make me do this” and then raised the gun and fired a shot into the ceiling of the school, breaking a water pipe. After firing the shot, he said again, “Please don’t make me do this.”

“It was planned for a long time,” Simpson said.

He said a search of the student’s backpack revealed some evidence that explosives were part a plan. He said three teams of Joplin police were searching the building.

Simpson said authorities did not know whether others were involved in the planned attack, but that police were investigating all possibilities.

For more on this story return to www.joplinglobe.com throughout the day for updated reports.

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 03:49 PM
9:47 a.m. Mother watches scene unfold

A Joplin mother who was dropping her son off at Memorial Middle School this morning stopped short of letting her child out of the car when she saw Principal Steve Gilbreth “waving crazily” as police cars pulled up behind her.

Blake Spivak, former advertising director for The Joplin Globe, sat in her car with her son, Cooper, a student at the school and watched as the principal, wearing a white, long-sleeved dress shirt and a tie, walked back into the school flanked on either side with police carrying guns and dressed in flack jackets.

Spivak’s arrival at the school came about the same time as a 13-year-old Memorial Middle School student had walked into the school with an AK-47 like assault gun.

Spivak said she saw the principal and then immediately saw a swarm of police pulling up beside her.

“I couldn’t have left if I wanted to. Police were heading into the school with weapons drawn and the principal was pointing to the east side of the school,” Spivak said.

Spivak said after about 10 minutes, a police officer walked by her car and told her she needed to get down or get her car away from the scene.

“I managed to get to the parking lot where there were about 30 kids congregated,” she said. “Parents were arriving to check on their kids.”

Spivak said the Gilbreth later came out and gathered the students together to let them know the student with the gun had been arrested.

“He assured them that their friends were safe and that no one had been hurt,” Spivak said. “The principal seemed very much in control and in command of the situation.”

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 03:50 PM
11:19 a.m. ‘I thank God’

“Scared to death, very scared to death,” parent Mary Wright said about today’s incident at Joplin Memorial Middle School.

Her son is 13-year-old Mikey Suvusa, a seventh-grade student at the school where this morning a 13-year-old Middle School Student walked in with an assault rifle. No one was hurt, although the student fired the gun into the ceiling of the school.

“I thank God that they’re all OK and nobody got hurt,” Wright said.

Parent Kimberly Day said important questions needed to be addressed.

“I don’t understand how he got the gun in there in the first place,” Day said. “If that could be answered, I’d be more relieved. My kids were running late, thank goodness.”

Parent Brian Hughes said he didn’t have much information when picking up his son at Memorial Hall.

“It looks like the school did everything they could,” Hughes said. “You hate to see it come to our small town.”

For more on this story return to www.joplinglobe.com throughout the day for updated information.

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Monday 11:35 a.m. Police search Joplin home

Police searched a home this morning at 521 North Gray St. in Joplin.

Rainey Saunders, a neighbor, said she was told by officers to leave her home about 9:30 this morning. Officers with dogs searched the home, and Saunders says she saw officers come out of the home carrying two rifles.

Police roped off a half-block area around the home, but would not reveal specifics about the search.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol, meanwhile, arrived at Memorial Middle School shortly after 11 a.m. with bomb-sniffing dogs and a search of the third floor of the school is underway.

School officials believe it is possible an explosive device had been planted at the school, based on notes taken from the backpack of a 13-year-old student who walked into the school with an AK-47 assault gun.

The student pointed the gun at two administrators and two students and then fired it into the ceiling of the school.

Officials were planning a news conference for late this morning.

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 03:52 PM
12:20 p.m. Bomb-sniffing dogs hit on locker

Bomb-sniffing dogs shortly before noon hit on a locker on the third floor of Memorial Middle School.

A Springfield bomb squad is at the school and at 521 S. Gray St. in Joplin where officers are searching the home.

Authorities believe there is a link between the Gray address and an incident early today at the school where a 13-year-old student walked into the school with an assault gun. No one was injured. By late morning most students had been picked up by their parents.

The student pointed the gun at two administrators and two students and then fired it into the ceiling of the school. Officials later found notes in the student’s backpack indicating that explosive devices may have been placed in the school.

There were 21 weapons incidents reported in Joplin schools in 2005, three times the state average.

Unlike today’s incident, most of those involved knives and martial arts weapons and not firearms, said Joplin Superintendent Jim Simpson.

In three previous years, the number of weapons incidents reported in Joplin was at or below the state average, according to statistics reported by public schools and compiled by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.

Statewide, there were 815 incidents involving weapons in 2005, according to state statistics. That is a ratio of .10 per every 100 students; in Joplin, the ratio was .30 per every 100 students, according to data reported in October 2005.

A weapon is defined as any device or instrument capable of causing serious bodily injury. It does not include a knife with a blade of less than 2.5 inches.

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 03:53 PM
12: 41 p.m. Bomb squad sets up at Joplin address

The Springfield Fire Department’s bomb squad, at 12:25 p.m. today, set up a command center at 521 S. Gray Ave.

Police officials have linked the search at that address with an incident earlier today where a 13-year-old Memorial Middle School student walked into the school with an AK-47 like assault rifle.

The student pointed the rifle at two school administrators and two students, then fired into the ceiling of the school. The school administrators were able to get the student outside, where he dropped the gun and was arrested by Joplin police at 7:53 a.m.

Police later found a note in his backpack indicating he had left an explosive device at the school. Shortly before noon, bomb-sniffing dogs had hit on a locker on the third floor of the school.

For more on this story return to www.joplinglobe.com throughout the afternoon for updated information

Pitt Gorilla
10-09-2006, 03:55 PM
I think you start putting these kids up as adults and put them away for life...or...put them to death. Then we'll see how many of these wannabe nutjobs come out of the wood work.I don't think that would matter. These kids aren't thinking about consequences.

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 03:55 PM
1:38 p.m. Rifle jammed after first shot, police say

The MAC 90 7.26 MM assault rifle used by a 13-year-old male student in a shooting this morning at Joplin Memorial Middle School appeared to have jammed after the first shot.

Joplin police Sgt. Curt Farmer said the gun was a semi-automatic assault rifle, and that it is legal to possess. Rifles altered to fire in automatic mode are illegal.

“It is my understanding that the gun did jam after the first shot had been fired,” Farmer said.

The student entered Memorial Middle School shortly before 7:45 this morning, wearing a full-length, black, military-type black trench coat, Farmer said. The boy was wearing a makeshift mask made out of a white T-shirt.

The student was confronted in a hallway by Assistant Superintendent Steve Doerr, who saw the boy pointing the rifle at another student. He attempted to intervene, and called 911.

Memorial Principal Steve Gilbreth then confronted the boy, persuading him to leave the building. Gilbreth followed the boy out, walking about 10 feet behind him.

Police arrested the student at Ninth and Wall streets, the old Joplin Public Library.

Inside a backpack he was carrying, Farmer said, police found a set of BDUs, or camouflage battle dress uniforms. Police also found notes on how to make a bomb.

Earlier today, the Springfield Bomb Squad established at command center at 521 S. Gray Ave. in Joplin. Police searched the home, as well as the third floor of the middle school. The results of those searches were not immediately known .

Tiffany Pendergraft, 12, a seventh-grader at Memorial Middle School was eating breakfast in the cafeteria when the school was locked down. “I was in the middle of breakfast,” she said. “They started saying we got to be quiet. I was just kind of wondering what was happening.”

She said she was “sort of” scared, but she and a friend also joked with each other morbidly about what the other would do if one was killed.

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 03:56 PM
3:07 p.m. Globe Internet viewers quick to comment on school shooting

The first comment was posted within minutes of the news hitting the Joplin Globe Web site.

A 13-year-old male student had walked into Memorial Middle School about 7:45 a.m. Monday, pointed an assault rifle at two students and two administrators and fired a shot into the school’s ceiling. The near-tragic incident ripped through the community, and by 3 p.m. more than 100 comments had been left on the Globe’s Web site.

Many viewers sought to identify root causes for the shooting, ranging from the lack of God in the classroom to violence on television to the National Rifle Association lobbying against gun control.

A sampling of comments:

“How long are we going to tolerate the violence daily fed to all of us on television and now even worse in computer games? It has been decades that experts have been telling us that seeing all this violence on television hardens us to it and increases violence in children. Why do we tolerate it? Why are we surprised when things like this happen?”

Lori

“Guns don’t kill people. People kill people. Don’t even dream of messing with my constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If the kid’s parents were doing their job, the kid wouldn’t have gone to a school with a gun. It is high time that people quit blaming the system and everyone else and start looking internally for the source of the problem. A knee-jerk law criminalizing all guns will only make the problem worse. ... If this kid’s parents went to jail with him, maybe other parents would consider doing a better job of raising their offspring. Blame the lousy parents, not the NRA.”

Oh Please

‘“Another incident at which America’s heart swells with pride for allowing a group like the NRA to put a gun in the hands of every teenage misfit.’ That has to be one of the most idiotic comments I have ever had the misfortune to read in my life. Parental responsibility has nothing at all to do with “teenage misfits” does it? It’s all the NRA. Hitler would be very proud of your socialistic views.”

wf godot

“The NRA has nothing to do with incidents like this. Like the saying goes, guns don’t kill people, people kill people. Also, if I remember correctly, isn’t there a part of the constitution that says we ‘have the right to bear arms?’ If this kid had the notion to do something, he would have used any weapon he could get his hands on. This time it just happened to be a gun. It really irritates me when people automatically start complaining about NRA and such. The real issue here is where is the school security that this kid can get that far with a gun.”

Farmmom

“The NRA did not put a gun into this child’s hand. How can anyone start to pass judgment on a child or parents without having full knowledge of the story.Instead we should all be thankful that no one was hurt,and pray for the family of this child. Most of all we should pray for the troubled child!”

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Try this place

Brandon's Gun Trading Company
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ebLorLuqM

From 1992 funny video

Pitt Gorilla
10-09-2006, 03:58 PM
The principal sounds like a pretty brave guy and did a great job handling the situation. It's a good thing the semi jammed.

Radar Chief
10-09-2006, 03:59 PM
I have no problem keeping a gun in a locked drawer in your bedroom as long as it would take a chainsaw or better to get it out minus having the key.

If you need home protection a baseball bat to someones knees puts'em on the ground real fast. Or a pair of chucks to the temple is a real burglary buster.

Seriously.... if you have kids in the house guns need to be locked up IMHO.

When I was grow’n up, none of dads guns were locked up and I was taught to treat everyone of’em as if they were loaded. :shrug: Oddly enough, I never took one to school.
Maybe it has more to do with this responsibility thingy I’ve been hear’n ‘bout. ;)

Radar Chief
10-09-2006, 04:03 PM
The principal sounds like a pretty brave guy and did a great job handling the situation. It's a good thing the semi jammed.

Fate? Karma? Or pure luck?
AK’s are known to be reliable. Jams are rare.

Cochise
10-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Fate? Karma? Or pure luck?
AK’s are known to be reliable. Jams are rare.

That surprised me too, I thought you were supposed to be able to bury them in the sand or throw one to the bottom of the ocean for a year and it'd still fire.

dirk digler
10-09-2006, 04:07 PM
When I was grow’n up, none of dads guns were locked up and I was taught to treat everyone of’em as if they were loaded. :shrug: Oddly enough, I never took one to school.
Maybe it has more to do with this responsibility thingy I’ve been hear’n ‘bout. ;)

Yep totally agree.

Radar Chief
10-09-2006, 04:13 PM
That surprised me too, I thought you were supposed to be able to bury them in the sand or throw one to the bottom of the ocean for a year and it'd still fire.

Might not’ve been a true Russian AK. There’re lots of cheap copies run’n ‘round from (IIRC) Egypt, Spain and China.

gblowfish
10-09-2006, 04:20 PM
My wife teaches in a middle school, so this kind of story isn't funny to me.

This kind of crap -13 year old kids bringing assault rifles to school loaded- is starting to scare good people away from considering the teaching profession.

That, plus by the time you make it through a four year college, you don't make enough teaching to pay back your student loans because teacher pay is so lousy.

Pretty soon they're gonna start frisking kids and putting them through airport style metal detectors every morning. Sad state of affairs.

Demonpenz
10-09-2006, 05:02 PM
I didn't have to use my AK. I gotta say it was a good day.

Bowser
10-09-2006, 05:12 PM
This kid thinks he's pissed at the world now, just wait until he gets divorced and has to pay bills.

And seriously - what could drive a kid to do this kind of thing? Nothing is that horrible at thirteen, hormones or no.

carlos3652
10-09-2006, 05:46 PM
It wasnt a true AK... It was "AK-47 like"

JBucc
10-09-2006, 05:50 PM
It wasnt a true AK... It was "AK-47 like"I bet you could configure up a toy cap gun inside a toy AK-47 and make it look and sound pretty real. I used to have a metal cap gun that looked exactly like a real gun aside from the orange thingy sticking out the end.

Rukdafaidas
10-09-2006, 05:56 PM
It was a MAC 90 7.26 MM assault rifle.
This hits close to home. I live in Joplin and have a kid in the Joplin School district, but he's in kindergarten.

tommykat
10-09-2006, 05:59 PM

This kind of crap -13 year old kids bringing assault rifles to school loaded- is starting to scare good people away from considering the teaching profession.

That, plus by the time you make it through a four year college, you don't make enough teaching to pay back your student loans because teacher pay is so lousy.

Pretty soon they're gonna start frisking kids and putting them through airport style metal detectors every morning. Sad state of affairs.

AMEN!! Nothing is funny about a child doing anything like this......I would say anything that has been said "just" in jest be taken off here! Many families are teachers and have a spouse or friend that are. Enough kid chit here!:mad:

ZepSinger
10-09-2006, 06:17 PM

I mean this more every day- I am DAMN glad my wife and I homeschool our 3 daughters.

KCChiefsMan
10-09-2006, 06:31 PM

I don't know if exciting is the word I would choose for this situation

Otter
10-09-2006, 06:48 PM

Same here.

I'd love to learn the correlations between these kids. Motive? Home Life? What were they trying to accomplish? Were they on Ritalin or some other psychotropic medication?

I think it's safe to say this isn't an anomaly or the actions of a 'random nutjob' anymore. There has to be some kind of pattern developing at this point.

tommykat
10-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Same here.

I'd love to learn the correlations between these kids. Motive? Home Life? What were they trying to accomplish? Were they on Ritalin or some other psychotropic medication?

I think it's safe to say this isn't an anomaly or the actions of a 'random nutjob' anymore. There has to be some kind of pattern developing at this point.

I believe this is called "parents" are more important than the children!

KingPriest2
10-09-2006, 07:05 PM
I don't know if exciting is the word I would choose for this situation

If you know Joplin it is exciting. I don't mean Man we are exctied to see that happen.

If something out of the blue happens that never happens it casues excitment

Yellowbutter72
10-09-2006, 09:04 PM
I teach in Webb City and when we heard the news of the gun in a Joplin school we went into lock down immediately. It is very scary. Some children have such a bad homelife that being jail would be better than going back to their homes. I've taught for 25 years and I've seen children who come from the worst situations that many people can't even imagine! If you reach just one of these children you feel like you have a success story to tell. Teaching is a special job and you don't go into the profession thinking you are going to get rich. It is a job of the heart, not the wallet!!!!! I LOVE MY JOB!! And it makes me VERY sad when I hear about children who have to resort to these kind of actions!

Enough of my soapbox!!!

Discuss Thrower
10-09-2006, 09:31 PM
McAuley Catholic is right across the street from Memorial, and our school got placed into lockdown as well.

Being said, driving to school I see all the urchins that attend Memorial.

Anyway, the senior and junior classes were on a field trip to Kansas City to visit the Renaissance Faire. So we got the calls from Joplin on our way there about the idiot Memorial kid. Problem is, on our way back, three girls in my class got ran over by a van in Harrisonville. All three are okay, two don't remember being hit (head injuries of sorts) and one got her foot ran over. It's gonna be fun to see our entire damn school go into "Crucify Elderly Drivers" mode tomorrow, being as driver of said van was an older woman.

Age is only a number when it comes to being a total cluster**** behind the wheel.

dj56dt58
10-09-2006, 10:35 PM
I teach in Webb City and when we heard the news of the gun in a Joplin school we went into lock down immediately. It is very scary. Some children have such a bad homelife that being jail would be better than going back to their homes. I've taught for 25 years and I've seen children who come from the worst situations that many people can't even imagine! If you reach just one of these children you feel like you have a success story to tell. Teaching is a special job and you don't go into the profession thinking you are going to get rich. It is a job of the heart, not the wallet!!!!! I LOVE MY JOB!! And it makes me VERY sad when I hear about children who have to resort to these kind of actions!

Enough of my soapbox!!!
Where do you teach at? I graduated from Webb last year..

doomy3
10-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Anyone hear if they actually found the explosive?

HMc
10-10-2006, 12:38 AM
That and if the media didnt have to blow every one of these up as a huge event that makes wannabes want to do it.

The fact that you don't think a 13 yr old firing a ****ing assault rifle at a <b>school</b> is a big deal demonstrates how bad the problem is.

Gravedigger
10-10-2006, 03:05 AM
That kid is fugged up in the head. Please don't make me do this.... what the hell why bring an assault rifle to school and then beg people to not make you shoot them? Unbelievable

KingPriest2
10-10-2006, 08:25 AM
I don't know but Simpson might be partially to blam e for this.

Joplin had a excellant program called the TLC program that helped problems kids. Simpson did not like Colborn and shut down the school which TLC was located in. I know that most of the teachers if not all the teachers were upset that TLC was shut down with it.

It was shut down 3 years ago.

Granted they do have other programs as well. but this was a truly effective program

KingPriest2
10-10-2006, 08:28 AM

I agree with you.

The JOplin TV station did not break in at all by 9 They just had a segment on the 8 25 segment.

AT first I was thinking Here is a kid shooting a gun in a school in Joplin and no breaking news.

Radar Chief
10-10-2006, 08:39 AM
It was a MAC 90 7.26 MM assault rifle.
This hits close to home. I live in Joplin and have a kid in the Joplin School district, but he's in kindergarten.

http://www.ak-47.us/MAK-90.php

Ah, Mak 90. Norinco, Chinese.
Though, it’s 7.62X39 mm, same round as an SKS and AK. Just FYI.

KingPriest2
10-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Gun may have come from family's safe

The Joplin Globe

By Jeff Lehr

jlehr@joplinglobe.com

The assault rifle that a 13-year-old boy toted to school Monday morning bore a partially filled, 30-round clip, according to Joplin police.

The weapon was identified by police as a Mac-90 7.62-by-39 mm assault rifle that the seventh-grade student is believed to have taken to school from his home at 521 S. Gray Ave.

"It was believed to have been in a safe inside the residence," said police Sgt. Curt Farmer. "His parents apparently were not aware he knew the combination."

Police believe the boy may have carried the weapon to school in a lawn-chair bag.

The boy lives about eight blocks from Memorial Middle School, and a witness reportedly saw him walking to school in the morning, wearing a dark-green trench coat and camouflage pants, with the lawn-chair bag and a duffel bag in his possession, according to police Sgt. Geoff Jones.

Jones said other witnesses at the school also reported seeing the boy with the lawn-chair bag. Jones said the bag was not in the boy's possession when he was apprehended outside the school shortly before 8 a.m., and it had not been located by late Monday afternoon.

Police initially reported finding multiple clips for the assault rifle in the duffel bag the boy had in his possession when he was apprehended. Jones corrected that information later in the day, saying that no clips other than the one that was in the gun were found in the boy's possession.

Jones said the clip in the gun appeared to have multiple rounds in it. He said police had yet to empty the clip and count the rounds because they wanted to preserve any fingerprint evidence on the rounds. But it appeared to be more than half full, Jones said.

The boy is believed to have fired a single shot inside the school. The shot was aimed at the ceiling. But police said the boy also pointed the gun at two teachers, two administrators and two students during the few minutes he was inside the school.

The student's parents, Greg and Norma White, were contacted by school officials after the boy was detained and his identity was ascertained. Consent was obtained from the Whites to search their home, according to police. Officers arrived at the home on South Gray Avenue about 9:30 a.m. and were seen removing two long guns about 10 minutes later, according to neighbors.

A crime-scene perimeter was set up around the house, and a bomb-sniffing dog from the Springfield Fire Department was taken to the location. Joplin police said the search of the property was prompted by items found in the duffel bag the boy was carrying, including notes about bomb-making materials.

A suspicious device was found in the front yard of the home, and the Springfield Fire Department's bomb squad was called to the scene in addition to its dog and handler. Police said the device eventually was determined to be an old military container for a flare and not a bomb.

Farmer said six guns were removed from the home, along with additional clips of rounds for the Mac-90 assault rifle and a "potato gun," a homemade tubular device that can propel a potato with compressed air.

Halfcan
10-10-2006, 12:18 PM
I see nothing wrong with this conduct-kids should be allowed to have guns and bring them to school when ever they want. If some stoopid kid gets shot it is their own fault.
Mecca

FAX
10-10-2006, 12:32 PM

Enough of my soapbox!!!

Thanks for all you do, Mr. Yellowbutter72. Except for the choice of username, of course.

Great people can emerge from small schools.

FAX

boogblaster
10-10-2006, 12:49 PM
No control at home..parents aren't allowed to discipline their kids anymore..when I was a kid you fu*ked-up your ass got burned..if not at home at school too..plus kids took care of wierd little-fu*ks who steped over the line......

Pitt Gorilla
10-10-2006, 01:08 PM
I see nothing wrong with this conduct-kids should be allowed to have guns and bring them to school when ever they want. If some stoopid kid gets shot it is their own fault.
MeccaActually, this is somewhat isomorphic to the argument for conceal and carry; if I have a gun, that guy is less likely to shoot me. Maybe we should give the kids a lesson on gun safety and let them all bring them to school.

Yellowbutter72
10-10-2006, 05:39 PM
I teach at Eugene Field, 4th grade. This is my 22nd year in that building. It makes me crazy when people are going to home-school their children because of the violence that is occuring in the schools. If they are going to keep them away from school for that reason they need to keep them away from the shopping malls because a person could pull a gun there as well, they could even pull a gun in a church! You take a chance the minute you walk out your door, so my question: Is home schooling your child the answer?

BIG_DADDY
10-10-2006, 05:44 PM
I teach at Eugene Field, 4th grade. This is my 22nd year in that building. It makes me crazy when people are going to home-school their children because of the violence that is occuring in the schools. If they are going to keep them away from school for that reason they need to keep them away from the shopping malls because a person could pull a gun there as well, they could even pull a gun in a church! You take a chance the minute you walk out your door, so my question: Is home schooling your child the answer?

I think they need to privatize but that's just me. School has never been safer. Nothing bothers me more than this selling of fear.

FAX
10-10-2006, 05:47 PM

My son would have been bused to 5 count 'em 5 different schools if we had chosen public, Mr. Yellowbutter72. It's completely stupid.

That's one of the reasons we elected to send him to private school.

FAX

Yellowbutter72
10-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Ms. Yellowbutter, Fax.

FAX
10-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Ms. Yellowbutter, Fax.

Sorry, Ms. Yellowbutter72. My bad. I have "at work" mode on, so if there is an indication of your sex in your avatar or sig, I wouldn't have seen it.

Please accept my humble and most sincere apologies.

FAX

Yellowbutter72
10-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Oh, no apologies needed. I was just being ornery!

KingPriest2
10-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Published October 12, 2006 12:00 am -

Boy nearly drew fire, official says

The Joplin Globe

By Jeff Lehr

jlehr@joplinglobe.com

The seventh-grade student accused of firing an assault rifle inside Memorial Middle School on Monday came within a split second of drawing gunfire from Joplin police officers after he'd left the school, a police spokesman said on Wednesday.

Thomas White, 13, was crouched on the steps of the old Carnegie Library building just south of the middle school with the assault rifle next to him when officers arrived at 7:45 a.m. with their guns drawn and ordered him to raise his hands, Sgt. Geoff Jones said at a press conference on an investigation into the school-shooting incident.

Jones said the boy appeared to officers to be in the act of removing the camouflage pants he was wearing over a pair of blue jeans. The officers believe he started to reach for the semiautomatic Mac-90 weapon but stopped short of grabbing it.

"If the suspect had grabbed the gun, I believe the officers would have been justified in shooting," Jones said. "They would have had to stop that threat."

He said that fortunately the boy decided not to pick up the weapon.

White has been charged as a juvenile with first-degree assault, armed criminal action and making a terrorist threat for allegedly bringing the gun to school, pointing it at students and staff before firing it into the ceiling of a second-floor hallway and trying to fire the weapon again at the school's principal.

At a hearing Wednesday in juvenile court in Joplin, a juvenile officer revealed that a fourth charge has been filed against the boy, one alleging that he attempted to escape from the Jasper County Juvenile Detention Center.

White appeared at the hearing with his parents, Greg and Norma White, and his attorney, Chuck Lonardo.

April Foulks told the court the escape attempt took place about 6 a.m. Wednesday as detention center employees were collecting meal plates from a holding-cell area for juvenile detainees. She said White drew the attention of staff to a bruise that had developed on his arm just prior to trying to bolt past an employee through a hallway door that was left unlocked while the plates were being collected.

Foulks said the boy made it through the door but was caught before he got out of the building. She said his cell mate subsequently told juvenile authorities that White had been talking about trying to escape throughout the night.

At the conclusion of the hearing, Associate Judge Stephen Carlton ordered the boy to remain in custody at the center for up to an additional 30 days pending the outcome of an investigation into the shooting incident. The judge also ordered the boy to undergo a psychological evaluation.

The boy reportedly is being kept in isolation from other juvenile detainees in the wake of his alleged escape. Lonardo told the judge that he concurred with the juvenile office that his client should remain in detention for his own safety.

"If he goes into the community right now, he might as well have a target on his back," Lonardo told reporters after the hearing

ptlyon
10-12-2006, 12:24 PM
He said that unfortunately the boy decided not to pick up the weapon.

Fixed that for ya, Mr. Jones.

C-Mac
10-12-2006, 12:30 PM

I agree that teachers are the most under paid profession out there. I have said many a time that a professional athelete should only be allowed to make 1 dollar less than the highest paid teacher. You teach 4th grade but if you taught HS I really think your perspective and view would change. I have two younger boys in 2nd and 4th grade and I'm very happy that they are being taught by some great teachers. I also have two High School teenage children (girl and boy). My son still goes to HS but now my daughter home schools. Any time a threat is made public at the school my son stays home. My daughter had ligitimate fears and concerns and we didnt feel it was beneficial to force her to go to HS knowing her true feelings. How could you really justify that? I'm sorry for this fine world we live in but home schooling my daughter is the only alternative for us at this time and it appears to be working out just fine.