PDA

View Full Version : Schottenheimer disses by omission.

Baby Lee
01-04-2001, 02:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> "There are a handful of premier franchises in the NFL, from a historical perspective," said Schottenheimer. "The Redskins, the Packers, the Giants, the Bears and the Browns -- and I've coached there. Those are the premier franchises, so it's a privilege to be the coach of the Washington Redskins." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now I have no illusions of the Chiefs being all-time great teams, but no mention whatsoever of his time here? Yet he mentions the Browns? This quote makes it look like his Chiefs decade was just biding his time until he could get into the real NFL, the NFC.<BR>

DaWolf
01-04-2001, 02:39 PM
Actually he's right. Those are original NFL franchises and the Browns wereone of the all time great original NFL franchises. He doesn't mention teams like the Niners, Cowboys, Steelers, etc. because they don't fit into that context...

Chieffan
01-04-2001, 02:41 PM
He also spoke of franchises with great traditions and named the Chiefs.

Phobia
01-04-2001, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I don't feel dissed at all. I think Marty still loves the time he spent in KC.

Baby Lee
01-04-2001, 02:44 PM
I guess its just the tone of [and maybe I'm reading too much into this, but I don't think so]; "I was proud of coaching the Browns [a team that in reality no longer exists, or if it exists, its in Baltimore with Whore Modell]. Then a did some other stuff. Now I'm proud to be back coaching a real team."

Phobia
01-04-2001, 02:45 PM
"premier franchises in the NFL, from a historical perspective"

this is the key portion of his statement. Still no bad feelings here.

Baby Lee
01-04-2001, 02:47 PM
Chieffan - I just read the Mortensen piece, couldn't listen to the press conf., but there wasn't anything Schott said about the Chiefs in Mort's article.

[This message has been edited by JC-Johnny (edited 01-04-2001).]

Chieffan
01-04-2001, 02:52 PM
I listened to it and heard him remark about Washingtons' great tradition, then he went on to talk about being part of two other franchises that have great football tradition, he named the Browns and Chiefs.

Mark M
01-04-2001, 02:57 PM
No offense, but who gives a sh!t what Marty thinks? :confused:

The Dan will find out soon enough how great of a coach Marty is...until the playoffs. I'll be stunned if Marty makes it to the end of his contract with Snyder running things. I don't care what The Dan says, he can't keep his fingers out of the pie...especially not one that spoils in January.

MM
~~Could care less what others think about the Chiefs...only us Chief's fans, players and (new) coaches matter! :)

------------------
One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic pictures.
--George W. Bush

DanT
01-04-2001, 03:04 PM
Not to be picky, but the Browns are not what I'd call an original NFL team. They came into the NFL in 1950 from the All-America Football Conference, along with the Colts and the 49ers. The are an original NFL team in the sense that they played in the NFL before it merged with the AFL in 1966 but that's too broad a use for "original" for my taste. Notably, a good argument could be made that they were the best overall team in the NFL throughout the period between when the AAFC and AFL teams joined the NFL.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/football/nfl/teams/pages/CLE/history.htm

DaWolf
01-04-2001, 03:06 PM
Bad choice of words on my part. I guess they would qualify as a "premier" NFL franchice however...

DanT
01-04-2001, 03:13 PM
DaWolf,

I know what you mean. The Browns came into the league with such force that they kind of seem like an original!

I don't think that Marty meant any disrespect to the Chiefs. There are just some franchises with long, long histories and multiple NFL championships. We just don't happen to be one of 'em! ;)

Go CHIEFS!

[This message has been edited by DanT (edited 01-04-2001).]

Baby Lee
01-04-2001, 03:20 PM
If anyone but the coach of the Chiefs from 88-97 had said this, you wouldn't have heard a peep out of me. Sure, we're not the elite. But I can't erase the sense that he may have viewed us a stepping stone all along.

donkhater
01-04-2001, 03:39 PM
A ten-year stepping stone?

donkhater
01-04-2001, 03:39 PM
A ten-year stepping stone?

Packfan
01-04-2001, 06:30 PM
JC Johnny,

The Chiefs havent won a super bowl in 30 some years! The Chiefs are NOT among the most storied franchises, as Shottenheimer correctly ommitted them. When you win three playoff games in 30 years, sorry, you are not a premier franchise. SOME of you guys got to get rid of the "most wins in the 80's" hard on. It doesnt mean squat if you dont do anything in the post season!

Mark M
01-05-2001, 06:19 AM
Packfan--
I thought the Chiefs had the most wins in the 90s, not the 80's? :confused:

Although I have to concurr...the Chiefs do not belong on the same list as some of those teams. However, as a Packers' fan, don't you find it odd that he listed the Bears? They've only won one SB in the last 30 years as well. According to your logic, they are on the same level as KC...both were dominant before the merger, and have had many a playoff heartbreak since.

MM
~~In his house, the Chiefs are the premier franchise.

Spott
01-05-2001, 06:57 AM
We had the most wins in the 80's? There must have been some really crappy teams in the 80's if the Chiefs had the most wins.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Baby Lee
01-05-2001, 07:09 AM
Hey Packa$$ - How many times need I say I have no illusions about the Chiefs' place in the fottball cosmos? My point is that Schott's omission [unlike ANY other coach, unless Hank stram were to return] seemed a little henke.
It'd be like Dean Martin [and yes I know he's dead] talking about all the comedic geniuses he got to or wanted to work with and not saying a word about Jerry Lewis. I don't think Jerry Lewis is a comedic genius, but given their shared history I think he would deserve a mention when Dean Martin talks.

DaWolf
01-05-2001, 12:16 PM
Actually he's right. Those are original NFL franchises and the Browns wereone of the all time great original NFL franchises. He doesn't mention teams like the Niners, Cowboys, Steelers, etc. because they don't fit into that context...