PDA

View Full Version : AZ game report from Chiefs bar in Venice Beach. With VIDEO!

TinyEvel
10-09-2006, 12:20 PM
I’ve mentioned the Whaler Bar in Venice Beach a few times before, it’s the local Los Angeles Chiefs bar. There’s an upstairs balcony overlooking Venice Beach. Sun. Sand. Chiefs games. Not too shabby. So, even though I have Sunday Ticket I wanted to make it there for a game, because it’s great to be in a room full of like-minded individuals when your team is kicking a$$, as I figured would be the case Sunday.

Turns out I needed them for moral support for most of the game. But the good news is my hands are bruised from the high-five assault which followed the shanked Rackers field goal.

If you ever have a reason or opportunity to come to Los Angeles during football season, you’ve got to try to see a game at this bar. It’s really a great place. Nice KC fans, everybody introduces themselves to you when you walk in wearing red. We all sit near the bar where the flat-screens are, while the Ryan Seacrest wanna-be’s, tourists, and off-duty strippers eating on the deck provide the people-watching.

So, DIRECTV was not getting the game. We were all going crazy, trying to call other sports bars to see if it was just us or DIRECTV. I got out my Treo and logged into the Planet. Every post in the game thread was like “WTF??!!” F**** sh**!” “we suck!” etc. I figured it wasn’t going well.
The game finally came on and there was immediate cheering, followed by an even more immediate “WTF??!!” and “F**** sh**!” as we found out it was 14-0. You know the rest of the story. Except at the end there’s a bit of irony:

The last time I was at this bar was last years’ Dallas game. You know how that went: Tynes could have tied it with a field goal and shanked it.

Well, I was a little nervous when he lined up for the 19-yarder. “Not again, PLEASE!” Well, he made it. But then suddenly here’s Arizona marching downfield. This was history repeating itself. It was all I could do to not break a beer bottle over my own head.
So, Rackers lines up for the 51-yearder, and History sort-of repeats itself, only this time the shank was the other guys. CHIEFS WIN.

It wasn’t the prettiest of wins. A lot of good and bad, kind of balanced the day out. LJ fumbles two times, but ran in a TD and saved the game with that 78-yard reception. Parker dropped a lot of balls, but made that great play in the endzone. I’ll take the W, any way we can. But I wish we had another bye week, we could use it before Pittsburg.

THIS VIDEO SAYS IT ALL: I WAS RECORDING IT BEFORE AND DURING THE SHANKED KICK!!!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ADgdzb1FFg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ADgdzb1FFg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

L.A. Chieffan
10-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Beautiful, wish i coulda been there....sometimes being lazy sucks. sometimes

TinyEvel
10-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Beautiful, wish i coulda been there....sometimes being lazy sucks. sometimes

I hear ya, but you gotta make it down at least once this season. The Oakland game, maybe. It's only like a 30 of 40-minute drive for ya!

L.A. Chieffan
10-09-2006, 12:34 PM
hmmm...sounds intriguing. i ccould pick up my buddy that lives in the valley on the way down too. Hes a Chief fan that I usually go to the SD game with

TinyEvel
10-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Here's some pics, though they don't do the place justice.

TinyEvel
10-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Cool Priest Holmes painting by a popular local artist.

JazzzLovr
10-09-2006, 01:18 PM

:spock: um... I'd rather have a stevieray painting...

But anyway, great video. I'll have to check that place out if I'm ever in the area.

Fish
10-09-2006, 01:20 PM

Does Priest really look like that under his helmet....? Man that would freak some defenders out....

JazzzLovr
10-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Does Priest really look like that under his helmet....? Man that would freak some defenders out....

:LOL: No wonder he hasn't done any interviews recently....

GoHuge
10-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Kick Ass! That looks like a hell of a time.

sd4chiefs
10-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Kick Ass! That looks like a hell of a time.

I would like to drive up for a game sometime but LA traffic sucks.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Hell I would party there.

ChiefFan31
10-13-2006, 01:45 AM
I would like to drive up for a game sometime but LA traffic sucks.

X2

LA Traffic is such a bitch. That bar does look bad ass though. Sure would be nice to watch a game with some fellow Chiefs fans out here :)