PDA

View Full Version : Who's ready for hunting season?

Gonzo
10-09-2006, 04:36 PM
A special Muzzleloader deer season is this weekend and I am tingling with anticipation.

I bought an industrial meat saw and grinder combonation this weekend that will allow me to butcher a deer in about two hours. This thing rocks. I tried it out on some of last-years deer meat and it works quite well.

Picture to follow.

Gonzo
10-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Here ya go.

JBucc
10-09-2006, 04:38 PM
I never quite understood why muzzleloading has it's own season. What's the reason for that hunter type people?

TinyEvel
10-09-2006, 04:38 PM
The only animals I kill are flies and mosquitos.

Well, actually, I do drown a few brownsnakes each day after the morning coffee.

Gonzo
10-09-2006, 04:41 PM
I never quite understood why muzzleloading has it's own season. What's the reason for that hunter type people?

It's a more traditional type of hunting a little more fair for the game than a friggin B.A.R. or sniper rifle.

ChiefsCountry
10-09-2006, 04:41 PM

Its a whole lot harder than with a regular firearm.

bogie
10-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Here ya go.

Gonzo, that is a great idea. How much did that set you back?

JBucc
10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Its a whole lot harder than with a regular firearm.Really. I've never shot one, I figured it'd be the same except for the loading part.

bogie
10-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Its a whole lot harder than with a regular firearm.

Well, it's a single shot, but with the new scoped up black powder rifles, I don't know if it's really a whole lot harder.

ChiefsCountry
10-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Well, it's a single shot, but with the new scoped up black powder rifles, I don't know if it's really a whole lot harder.

Yeah true, but I was giving the eaiser answer for why it demands its own season.

PastorMikH
10-09-2006, 04:50 PM
I just ordered $145 bucks worth of parts for the Land Cruiser to get it ready to go. Half of that was for 2 door handles because idiot passengers fail to realize that a 30 year old rig's doors just don't fly open when you pull on the handle like the new cars do so they just sit there and keep yanking on the door handle thinking that if they pull it like they are starting an outboard motor the door will finally open.

Too be honest though, the hunting bug hasn't hit me yet this year. I need to see some big bucks in person to get the itch going.

ChiefsCountry
10-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Too be honest though, the hunting bug hasn't hit me yet this year. I need to see some big bucks in person to get the itch going.

Outdoor Channel does a great job of that for me. I guess Bass Pro can too, its like 3 blocks from me. But when you see it everyday it loses its appeal.

kcfan88
10-09-2006, 04:55 PM
I got my antelop last Thursday, it was great, my daughter filmed the whole thing. I start for deer this Friday. Can't wait!!

bogie
10-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Yeah true, but I was giving the eaiser answer for why it demands its own season.

Got it. The traditional black powder is a lot more difficult IMO. Sometimes it's pretty hard keeping your powder dry and open sites etc.

bogie
10-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Outdoor Channel does a great job of that for me. I guess Bass Pro can too, its like 3 blocks from me. But when you see it everyday it loses its appeal.

Outdoor channel keeps my buck fever going all year long.

bogie
10-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Just saw a guy on Outdoor Channel shoot a nice 10 point from 130 yards out. Cool, black powder has come a long way.

ChiefsCountry
10-09-2006, 06:20 PM
They had a sweet show the other day, some guy was hunting moose up in the Yukon and when he was calling the moose in a huge Grizzly showed up about 30 yards in front of the moose. They looked at each other and ran opposite directions. The guy then shot the moose and then 2 minutes later went and got the grizzly. All this was with black powder.

dtebbe
10-09-2006, 06:37 PM
A special Muzzleloader deer season is this weekend and I am tingling with anticipation.

I think there are a bunch of wives and girlfriends tingling with anticipation too. That's what I'd be worried about. Most hunters I know spend more time hunting than they do taking care of things at home, and then are puzzled with thier little missey ends up bagging the neighbor. You know you are not the only one that's cold at 5am.....
:p

DT

bogie
10-09-2006, 07:23 PM
I think there are a bunch of wives and girlfriends tingling with anticipation too. That's what I'd be worried about. Most hunters I know spend more time hunting than they do taking care of things at home, and then are puzzled with thier little missey ends up bagging the neighbor. You know you are not the only one that's cold at 5am.....
:p

DT

The hunters you know are obviously pussy's and don't know how to keep their women happy.

Gonzo
10-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Gonzo, that is a great idea. How much did that set you back?

This ran me 200.00 (on sale) Check sportsman's guide they have one's a lot like it. Sorry it took so long to answer, I had a work emergency last night.

Iowanian
10-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I don't hunt muzzleloader, but I've purchased a new benelli Supernova slug gun with ghost rings sites for shotgun season in Iowa, 2 additional tree stands, 2 more ladder sticks, another 15' ladder stand, and a no-limit 18lb climber. I've got a ladder up in a tree in the yard, have been shooting pretty regularly, and have been plinking apples with a thumper tip for good measure. I've washed and de-scented my camo, added some 3D leaves(find the same ones in a string at the craft store for a fraction of the price of Cabelas....

I'm ready.

If neighbor is foolish enough to bang the wife of a man he's just watched spending 2 months cleaning guns on the front step, shooting objects the size of his heart from 30 yards with a silent but deadly weapon, and witnessed sharpening a bone handled 6" knife......well.....sometimes Darwin just wins.

Chiefnj
10-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Two weeks into the season by me. In state I see more bear than deer.

Deer 2, ChiefNJ 0.

bogie
10-10-2006, 04:15 PM
I don't hunt muzzleloader, but I've purchased a new benelli Supernova slug gun with ghost rings sites for shotgun season in Iowa, 2 additional tree stands, 2 more ladder sticks, another 15' ladder stand, and a no-limit 18lb climber. I've got a ladder up in a tree in the yard, have been shooting pretty regularly, and have been plinking apples with a thumper tip for good measure. I've washed and de-scented my camo, added some 3D leaves(find the same ones in a string at the craft store for a fraction of the price of Cabelas....

I'm ready.

If neighbor is foolish enough to bang the wife of a man he's just watched spending 2 months cleaning guns on the front step, shooting objects the size of his heart from 30 yards with a silent but deadly weapon, and witnessed sharpening a bone handled 6" knife......well.....sometimes Darwin just wins.

:) Great post. Half the fun is the preparation.

Iowanian
10-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Taking a bear with a bow is on my "to do List".

bogie
10-10-2006, 04:23 PM

If you're thumpin' apples at 30 yards you need to get after yogi.

Iowanian
10-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm thumping apples at 20 yards....I miss more at 30 because the thumper tips fly a little different...

Anything in the clear at 25 closer is dead.....30 should be nervous. I'm not the kind of shooter to punch out "Xs" on the targets, but I shoot decent groups.

bogie
10-10-2006, 05:52 PM
I look forward to seeing a pic of your bear. I haven't busted out my bow in years. Used to shoot with my brothers. Whoever got closest to killing George on a dollar bill got the dollar. Whoever missed worst put the next $ up. I lost more than I won, but had a blast losing it. My bro was bad ass with bow.

Simply Red
10-10-2006, 06:00 PM

That'd be quite a feat. What about Pheasant H`ting Iowa? My dad goes to Aimes once a year. Not really my deal, but he loves it and ohh btw; The coldest I've ever been in my life was up near aimes. We used to stop at a Steakhouse up there that was phenominal called "The Redwood."

Iowanian
10-10-2006, 07:03 PM
My inlaws are an hour or so from Ames...in pheasant land....I really don't do much bird hunting, unless you count Turkeys. I did alot in HS with my buddies, but in 93 the flood killed most of them off.

My biggest problem is competition for my time. If its Oct-Nov I'm bow hunting whitetails.....If its early Dec, I'm shotgun hunting whitetails. If its Jan, its late season Bow, late season Doe, or too effing Co-ld.

My favorite place to eat in Ames is "hickory park".

Jenny Gump
10-10-2006, 07:06 PM
My ex just got back from hunting elk in Canada. I think that's what he's talking about to me on the phone. Not sure though. Not really listening.

Simply Red
10-10-2006, 08:24 PM
My inlaws are an hour or so from Ames...in pheasant land....I really don't do much bird hunting, unless you count Turkeys. I did alot in HS with my buddies, but in 93 the flood killed most of them off.

My biggest problem is competition for my time. If its Oct-Nov I'm bow hunting whitetails.....If its early Dec, I'm shotgun hunting whitetails. If its Jan, its late season Bow, late season Doe, or too effing Co-ld.

My favorite place to eat in Ames is "hickory park".

Yeah only went to Ames once we ended up "road-hunting" in my Uncle's Van. We'd spot them and get out and try to pop them. Kinda fun because it kept us out of the cold.

ChiefsCountry
10-10-2006, 09:38 PM

That would be quite the thrill but you have to some balls of steel to do it.

Bwana
10-11-2006, 12:09 AM
heh

Mojo Rising
10-11-2006, 01:31 AM
I am going to Stockton if any N ' Cal people want to join it is the best hunting option out there.

For $25 show up and walk the bird line. You will hit a bird if you stay for the day. There will be a dog too that will get it for you.

Every time I go there is a dog working the field for practice.

http://www.stocktonsportsmensclub.com/eventcalendar.html

bogie
10-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Yeah only went to Ames once we ended up "road-hunting" in my Uncle's Van. We'd spot them and get out and try to pop them. Kinda fun because it kept us out of the cold.

Please stay away from Southern Missouri with your road hunting. Thanks.
:shake:

ChiefsCountry
10-11-2006, 06:52 PM
What is the weight that you guys you use on your bow?

Iowanian
10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
I pull about 55lbs. I could pull more, but if I've been sitting in the cold for hours, I don't want to have to struggle to draw it at the moment of truth.

I pretty much think the guys pulling 65-70lbs are just showing off.

Chiefnj
10-12-2006, 08:39 AM
What is the weight that you guys you use on your bow?

70lbs with a 10 year old 80% let-off bow.

Iowanian
10-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Unless you're shooting Elk or polar Bears.....why pull so much weight?

ptlyon
10-12-2006, 09:12 AM
That would be quite the thrill but you have to some balls of steel to do it.

10-24-04 in Saskatchewan

Chiefnj
10-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Unless you're shooting Elk or polar Bears.....why pull so much weight?

Two main reasons. First, I hate change when it comes to hunting. I've always shot it at 70lbs. I'm not the best at re-tuning the bow, so once I find something that works well, I stick with it. Second, I have good results with it. Every time I've shot a deer I've had a complete pass through, which has meant a good blood trail and has resulted in a quick, clean, kill. Plus, with the 80% let off it isn't difficult to hold back.