PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: Is Steven Colbert really a Republican?

MahiMike
10-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Or is it just good satire?

KcMizzou
10-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Option B

JBucc
10-09-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't know but I'm sure he hates the Donks.

cdcox
10-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Or is it just good satire?

You're kidding, right?

kcfanXIII
10-09-2006, 09:51 PM
no way is he a rep. the neo cons don't have a sense of humor.

KcMizzou
10-09-2006, 09:52 PM
no way is he a rep. the neo cons don't have a sense of humor.DC! DC!!

|Zach|
10-09-2006, 09:55 PM
ROFL

Reaper16
10-09-2006, 09:56 PM
There is no way you can be serious.

Adept Havelock
10-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Actually, I believe he is a Whig. Or possibly a Know-Nothing.

Either way, he's funny as hell!

SPchief
10-09-2006, 10:18 PM
I think its clear that he is a communist.

SNR
10-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Actually, I believe he is a Whig. Or possibly a Know-Nothing.

Either way, he's funny as hell!Bull Moose all the way!

yeti
10-09-2006, 10:34 PM
I argued for like an hour with my friend because he thought that Colbert was being sincere and not being sarcastic at all. I couldn't believe it.

Basileus777
10-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Wow, you can't be serious. ROFL

JBucc
10-09-2006, 10:39 PM
I argued for like an hour with my friend because he thought that Colbert was being sincere and not being sarcastic at all. I couldn't believe it.Maybe he should put /sarcasm in his little word box thingy

Psyko Tek
10-09-2006, 10:48 PM
truthiness, got any questions?

BWillie
10-09-2006, 11:09 PM
He's decreased the bear population enormously the last decade. It's amazing what he's done...and I like his toupee. Manly

cdcox
10-09-2006, 11:14 PM
Actually, one of my coworkers has a nephew who thinks Colbert is a staunch conservative and is being completely serious in his takes.

beer bacon
10-09-2006, 11:16 PM
I argued for like an hour with my friend because he thought that Colbert was being sincere and not being sarcastic at all. I couldn't believe it.

Tell your friend that the internet thinks he is stupid.

Actually, one of my coworkers has a nephew who thinks Colbert is a staunch conservative and is being completely serious in his takes.

Ditto.

Smed1065
10-09-2006, 11:20 PM
He's decreased the bear population enormously the last decade. It's amazing what he's done...and I like his toupee. Manly

If only he would use his powers against the mid-east!

:)

Or skip!

TrickyNicky
10-10-2006, 01:55 AM
"The fictional Stephen Colbert character drives the show's focus on "bluster and personality", and is inspired by the TV personalities of Bill O'Reilly, Stone Phillips, and Geraldo Rivera.[9] The character Colbert assumes in the show is centered on egomania, American patriotism and the reduction of complex political matters into ludicrously simplified soundbites or illogical conclusions. Colbert's character claims to be an independent, but uniformly despises liberals and almost always agrees with the actions and decisions of George W. Bush and the Republican party."

I would really doubt that he was being sincere. It's obvious parody. But others have been fooled:

"Presented as non-satirical journalism

Huffington Post
In May, 2006, a fake guest blogger on the political news site Huffington Post filed a satirical polemic which, feigning ignorance of the Report's satirical nature, criticized Colbert's journalistic style and questioned "why this Republican pundit Colbert is on Comedy Central". The site subsequently issued an apology for the satirical post. The "guest" blogger was actually regular columnist, Bob Cesca, who adopted the fictional character of a "vitriolic progressive blogger" named Gotterdammerung while he "travelled".

Tom DeLay Legal Defense Trust
Also in May 2006, the Tom DeLay Legal Defense Trust posted a video of The Colbert Report on its website and sent out a mass email urging DeLay supporters to watch how "Hollywood liberal" Robert Greenwald "crashed and burned... when promoting his new attack on Tom DeLay."[27] The video features Colbert asking questions such as "Who hates America more, you or Michael Moore?"[28] The Trust's email describes its content as "the truth behind Liberal Hollywood's" film about DeLay, and characterizes the Colbert Report clip with the headline, "Colbert Cracks the Story on Real Motivations Behind the Movie".

On June 8, 2006, Colbert retaliated on his show by conducting an "Exclusive Fake Interview" with DeLay. It was done by splicing three different interviews with DeLay on different networks to put him in a bad light. Colbert ended the "interview" by saying "I do hope you enjoyed my manipulation of your words".

Robert Wexler
On July 25, 2006, Colbert took to task some television network morning news shows specifically NBC's The Today Show and ABC's Good Morning America for taking out of context comments made by Florida Congressman Robert Wexler on The Colbert Report (e.g., "I enjoy cocaine because it's a fun thing to do"). Wexler had made the comments in response to a suggestion by Colbert to "say some things that would really lose the election for you if you were contested." As of the show's airing, Wexler was running for re-election unopposed. In a rare moment, Colbert broke character to say that Wexler "didn't mean a thing he was saying. He knew it was a joke, and he was confident enough to play along."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Colbert_Report

Ultra Peanut
10-10-2006, 02:22 AM
This thread is so meta.

KcMizzou
10-10-2006, 02:30 AM
The whole COMEDY Central thing should be a clue.

This is why we have to have laugh tracks in american TV shows.

:shake:

ChiefaRoo
10-10-2006, 03:46 AM
The Intelligence bell curve tells us that a certain percentage of people are not too bright. When you combine that fact with the number of people who watch the show it's logical that some of these dimwits will think it's real. In a related story Skip thinks Gilligan is still on the Island.

MahiMike
10-10-2006, 10:05 AM
The whole COMEDY Central thing should be a clue.

This is why we have to have laugh tracks in american TV shows.

:shake:

I dunno. I think Jon Stewart is the funniest thing on TV. He constantly catches dubya and co. in hilarious lies. That show is the breeding ground for up and coming comics (i.e. Steve Carrell).

Thig Lyfe
10-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Stupid thread.

And it's StePHen, not SteVen.

HolmeZz
10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
I think everyone realizes it's satire except for some republicans.