PDA

View Full Version : Team suspends player for Facemask penalty

Demonpenz
10-10-2006, 12:41 AM
Chiefs suspend Derrick Thomas
KC star will miss one week; Simmons waived.

By RICK DEAN
The Capital-Journal

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A penitent Derrick Thomas apologized to everyone from his grandmother to the youth of Kansas City to Shannon Sharpe on Tuesday as he accepted the terms of his one-week suspension -- without pay -- from the Kansas City Chiefs.

Thomas was suspended until next Monday by coach Marty Schottenheimer after drawing three personal fouls during an 80-yard Denver drive for its final touchdown in the Broncos' 30-7 kicking of the Chiefs on Monday night. He will not participate in team workouts or meetings until then, and he will miss this week's game in San Diego.

Thomas still got off easier than did linebacker Wayne Simmons.

The Chiefs waived Simmons, whom they acquired from Green Bay in a trade last season, for what they said were performance-related reasons. The Chiefs have been unhappy with Simmons' play for some time this year after giving him a three-year contract following the 1997 season.

"A year ago he played extremely well, but his performance this year was not to that standard," Schottenheimer said of Simmons, the starting linebacker who played over opposing tight ends.

But Schottenheimer also was unhappy that Simmons drew one of the five penalties (for 62 yards) during the Denver drive that Schottenheimer said embarrassed the entire Chiefs organization.

"The ironic thing is, we've got a good group of young men," Schottenheimer said. "But we let the conduct of a couple of guys cast the rest of them in unfavorable light.

"If people don't want to fall in line with the way we do things," Schottenheimer added, "there are 29 other teams in this league."

Thomas said he did not want to play for any of those other 29 teams as he accepted his suspension.

Speaking to the media for the first time since he was relegated to situational duty three weeks ago, Thomas said he regretted the bad example he demonstrated on national TV.

"As an individual who I think people look up to, I have to conduct myself in a manner that is positive at all times," Thomas said. ""My conduct last evening was not characteristic of my game. I allowed a situation to get out of hand, and for that I apologize."

Thomas extended apologies to his mother and grandmother, to Lamar Hunt and Schottenheimer, to young people involved in his Third and Long Foundation -- a program to promote literacy -- and even to Sharpe, the Denver tight end whose facemask he grabbed in incurring one of his three penalties.

Thomas said he became incensed when he saw Sharpe cut-blocking Simmons -- who had been defending him much of the night -- at his knees. Thomas retaliated with a forearm blow to the head of Broncos' quarterback Bubby Brister, then later viciously shook Sharpe by the face mask.

"To the youth of America who look up to Derrick Thomas, I apologize because that is not sportsmanlike conduct and you should not conduct yourself in that way," Thomas said. "To the kids in my foundation, who I want to see me as a role model, I apologize. I preach to you to be positive, yet last night I let someone influence me into doing something that is totally out of character.

"This is probably as difficult a thing as I've had to deal with since I've been here. I'm not happy with this (suspension), but I did it and now I have to be accountable. I think the punishment is justifiable."

Rookie Greg Favors will replace Simmons at the left linebacker position.

Demonpenz
10-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Point being if you think the nfl would suspended rolle for accidently you are wrong. It took the chiefs to suspend one of their own.

Guru
10-10-2006, 12:48 AM
As long as he is fined. Even if it is only an extremely small fine. As long as the NFL acknowledges the potential seriousness of the play.

HMc
10-10-2006, 12:51 AM
what's with fining dudes 5,000 who make at a bare minumum 16,000 a game and in many cases a whole lot more than that?

Guru
10-10-2006, 12:58 AM
AS long as they don't just ignore the issue.

Florida_Bronco
10-10-2006, 07:19 AM
I haven't seen the play yet, but I don't recall any instances of players being fined and/or suspended for facemask penalties unless it was multiple times or done with extreme malice.

jlscorpio
10-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Extreme malice = Antrelle Rolle

jspchief
10-10-2006, 07:35 AM
As long as he is fined. Even if it is only an extremely small fine. As long as the NFL acknowledges the potential seriousness of the play.It is my understanding that every personal foul in the game comes with a fine.

Bwana
10-10-2006, 07:40 AM
I haven't seen the play yet, but I don't recall any instances of players being fined and/or suspended for facemask penalties unless it was multiple times or done with extreme malice.

Really? :hmmm:

mac58
10-10-2006, 07:56 AM
this is completely different. . .derrick thomas had a breakdown that night and intentionally went at sharpe like 4 plays in a row. . .I personally loved it. . .do u think its possible to find a pic or a gif of this or any derrick thomas gif. . . coughs 'go chiefs' coughs

Bearcat
10-10-2006, 08:02 AM
this is completely different. . .derrick thomas had a breakdown that night and intentionally went at sharpe like 4 plays in a row. . .

Talking logic like that around here could get your head chopped off.

StcChief
10-10-2006, 08:05 AM
this is completely different. . .derrick thomas had a breakdown that night and intentionally went at sharpe like 4 plays in a row. . .I personally loved it. . .do u think its possible to find a pic or a gif of this or any derrick thomas gif. . . coughs 'go chiefs' coughs

I was at that MNF meltdown. F THannon THarpe.

|Zach|
10-10-2006, 08:08 AM
I haven't seen the play yet.
Ok, thanks for your time.

chief52
10-10-2006, 08:15 AM
this is completely different. . .derrick thomas had a breakdown that night and intentionally went at sharpe like 4 plays in a row. .

Exactly. The thread starter is in error. DT was not suspended for face masking. He was suspended for a TOTAL blow up.

I think Rolle should be suspended a game, but comparing it to DT's game is totally apples and oranges.

Simplex3
10-10-2006, 08:33 AM
More and more I'm thinking flagrant deals like this and the Haynesworth thing should be punished by something more severe. Something the athletes give a crap about.

Take away Rolle's earrings.

FAX
10-10-2006, 08:39 AM
More and more I'm thinking flagrant deals like this and the Haynesworth thing should be punished by something more severe. Something the athletes give a crap about.

Take away Rolle's earrings.

ROFL

FAX

Kerberos
10-10-2006, 08:58 AM
AS long as they don't just ignore the issue.

Exactly

IMO the ONLY thing between Rolle and L.J. putting up 6 points was L.J.' facemask.

The POS had ONE chance to stop L.J. from scoring and the facemask was the ONLY thing he had to grab, Plain and Simple. Is endangering another player WORTH stopping them from scoring? :shake:

If the NFL does nothing about this I don't think I will be the only one her pissed off.

Simplex3
10-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Exactly

IMO the ONLY thing between Rolle and L.J. putting up 6 points was L.J.' facemask.

The POS had ONE chance to stop L.J. from scoring and the facemask was the ONLY thing he had to grab, Plain and Simple. Is endangering another player WORTH stopping them from scoring? :shake:

If the NFL does nothing about this I don't think I will be the only one her pissed off.

If the NFL does nothing I think we're going to see kickers facemask every time they're the last man in coverage. I think we're going to see that when guys get a hand on the mask they won't let go in an attempt to only get the 5 yarder, they're going to go ahead and use that thing without regard to the other player.

MVChiefFan
10-10-2006, 10:11 AM
On a different note, going back to the original story, I really enjoyed the meltdown. Hell, we were losing anyway and I despise Shannon Sharpe, I thought it was funny. However, I don't know if anyone else remembers this but in the next day or two sportscenter had Bill Homo-nowski on the show talking about the game and he kept saying (in that extremely annoying voice of his) "it's just sad and horrible" "I mean for a player to just be that dirty and just take cheap shots at other players is disgusting". I nearly came unglued. I mean first of all, that was a complete oxymoron to pick him to interview about non-violence. I guess spitting in a guy's face and shattering a man's eye socket is acceptable.

DaFace
10-10-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm finding myself not caring about this issue and more and more. I think he should be fined (which he will - 15-yard face mask penalties come with a mandatory fine). It wasn't violent enough to warrant a suspension, IMO. Time to move on to the next game...

jspchief
10-10-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm finding myself not caring about this issue and more and more. I think he should be fined (which he will - 15-yard face mask penalties come with a mandatory fine). It wasn't violent enough to warrant a suspension, IMO. Time to move on to the next game...I'm the same way. The more i watch it, the more I think it's not nearly what Chiefs fans are making it out to be. Parker's lame ass attempt at a block forced Rolle to come in from a weird angle/from behind.

I don't think it was intentional and I think the physics of it is what makes it look so bad.

WilliamTheIrish
10-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Point being if you think the nfl would suspended rolle for accidently you are wrong. It took the chiefs to suspend one of their own.

The NFL (Tags) let the Chiefs do the dirty work. Lamar came on camera (which is pretty unusual for LH) and made a public apology. Then they announced the suspensions. If you think for one second the league wasn't going to lower the boom in a big way on Thomas for his role in that fiasco,during the league's prime time game, you are mistaken.

WilliamTheIrish
10-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Oh, and lest you feel I'm in the "Fine him" crowd, I'm with most folks who saw the play as it was.

Parker's constantly yapping, pass dropping, non blocking ass, not cutting Rolle is the bigger problem.

jspchief
10-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Oh, and lest you feel I'm in the "Fine him" crowd, I'm with most folks who saw the play as it was.

Parker's constantly yapping, pass dropping, non blocking ass, not cutting Rolle is the bigger problem.10 years ago this would be a thread on the Cardinals BB about a fine for Dale Carter's low block.

Thig Lyfe
10-10-2006, 10:51 AM
10 years ago this would be a thread on the Cardinals BB about a fine for Dale Carter's low block.

10 years ago I'd be surprised if the Cardinals even had a BB.

WilliamTheIrish
10-10-2006, 11:12 AM
10 years ago this would be a thread on the Cardinals BB about a fine for Dale Carter's low block.

I don't know about the Cards BB, but I know the Donx have a fine memory of Dale Carter whacking Tyrone Braxton. (And blowing out his knee. And mocking him while he lay on the ground.)

Inspector
10-10-2006, 11:40 AM
I hope that rookie Greg Favors works out for us.