PDA

View Full Version : Help with an office debate.

wutamess
10-10-2006, 10:40 AM
A Coworker seems to think you can get fired for investing in a competitors stock.

For instance, He says that a top Mc Donalds Director could get fired for investing in BK stock.

Is this the case?
Poll coming.
Explanations wanted.

wutamess
10-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Can't post a fuggin poll.

JBucc
I doubt they'll care if the Burger flipper in investing into someone's else's stock, but maybe if it's like a Big Whig at McDonalds headquarters or something like that.

Fire Me Boy!
Very possibly a conflict of interest. If you're financially vested in BK stock, you might be willing to hurt the McD stock and make bad decisions.

Fire Me Boy!
10-10-2006, 10:43 AM
You had to do it when you created the thread, wutadumass. :p

BigChiefFan
10-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Very possibly a conflict of interest. If you're financially vested in BK stock, you might be willing to hurt the McD stock and make bad decisions.
Agreed. I believe it is a conflict of interest.

Rain Man
10-10-2006, 10:56 AM

Go to the bottom left of the whole page and click "Add a poll".

I would have a hard time believing that it's a fireable offense. I would bet that there are zillions of people at big companies who unknowingly hold a competitor's stock via mutual funds.

If you're a CEO or other high-ranking exec at a publicly traded company, it might get the attention of the SEC, wondering if you've got a conflict of interest, but I wouldn't think it would be a fireable offense for a low-level worker. If a low-level worker bought a bunch of a competitor's stock individually and then was unsavvy enough to talk about it, I'd think it wouldn't be really good for his career, though. It shows a non-team attitude.

tyton75
10-10-2006, 11:04 AM
I would think that an executive could be fired for investing in a competitors stock based on Ethics and/or insider trading...

I'm not saying they couldn't get away with it; but if it came to light and he was on the hotseat, they could probably fire someone for that.

jspchief
10-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Wouldn't investing in a rival company be a violation of a no-compete clause?

It may be a gray area, but I could see where it might get someone fired.