PDA

View Full Version : Two-Face Larry comes through in the clutch for KC

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 04:38 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/10/chiefs-cardinals-commentary101006.html

It wasn't pretty. Then again, Larry Johnson's style has never been terribly pretty when it comes to football.

In the Kansas City Chiefs ' 23-20 come-from-behind victory over Arizona on Sunday, Johnson was both the goat and the hero.

"Larry Goat" came early. With Arizona leading 7-0, the Chiefs took over on offense. Four plays later, Johnson and quarterback Damon Huard combined to fumble a handoff, and Arizona cashed in the turnover for a 14-0 lead.

It was tough sledding for Johnson from there on out. Fortunately, KC's defense stiffened, and shut the Cardinals out for the rest of the first half. That gave "Larry Hero" a chance to show up; and he did, just before the break.

After Chiefs rookie safety Bernard Pollard blocked a punt, Kansas City was just six yards from pay dirt. The next two plays netted a loss of three yards, and the Chiefs needed someone to step up. Guess who?

"Larry Hero" burst onto the scene. Johnson took a short dump pass from Huard, broke two tackles and dove into the end zone. It was a fantastic play, and the Chiefs suddenly had all the momentum, trailing 14-10.

And then "Larry Goat" showed up again. Johnson fumbled just before halftime, allowing Arizona to tack on a field goal.

The rest of the game was a slugfest. Johnson pounded away at Arizona's defense with little success, running into a wall of red on almost every play. The Cardinals packed the box and held Johnson to just 36 yards on 16 carries, the worst start of his NFL career.

But you had the feeling that "Larry Hero" hadn't made his final appearance just yet.

The Chiefs put together a clutch touchdown drive without him. Huard moved KC's offense down the field and hit Samie Parker perfectly with a 15-yard touchdown pass. The score was 20-17 with just over nine minutes left. Plenty of time for "Larry Hero" to show up and drag the Chiefs over the finish line, right?

Maybe. For a while, it looked like Ty Law would be the hero. With a little less than six minutes remaining, Law picked off rookie quarterback Matt Leinart, putting Kansas City at Arizona's 22-yard line. It was a perfect opportunity for "Larry Hero" to give the Chiefs the lead.

But it didn't come. Johnson did nothing in three plays, and the Chiefs were forced to settle for a tying field goal.

Kansas City's defense stopped Arizona on the ensuing possession. There was about two minutes left in the game. One last opportunity for Larry to play the Hero, or the Goat.

Johnson had endured a long, tough game. He had been battered into frustration. And then out of nowhere, when you least expected it, it happened.

"Larry Hero" burst out of a phone booth and saved the day.

Huard flipped a short screen pass to Johnson, who was seemingly bottled up. Then Johnson broke a tackle by Darnell Dockett and blew past three Arizona defenders, who fell to the ground like dominoes. "Larry Hero" raced down the sideline. Seventy-eight yards and a gruesome facemask later, "Larry Hero" was "Fallen Hero."

Fortunately, Johnson got up and walked off under his own power. The Chiefs kicked the go-ahead field goal. Arizona missed a game-tying attempt a minute-and-a-half later. It was a wild, dramatic, improbable ending to a great football game.

Brought to you by Jekyll and Hyde. Otherwise known as Larry Johnson.

Comments? Suggestions? Criticism? Contact C.E. Wendler at cwendler@realfootball365.com

Get more Kansas City Chiefs insight at RealFootball365.com

Kyle401
10-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Um... OK, with all the "Larry Hero", "Larry Goat" references I felt like I was watching an episode of Vegitales. http://www.thequickster.com/images/LarryBoy.jpg

Reaper16
10-10-2006, 05:03 PM
Larry Goat and Larry G.O.A.T. m i rite?

HemiEd
10-10-2006, 05:34 PM
:hmmm:

FAX
10-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Headless Larry Frightens Fans

Chief fans got an early Halloween surprise from the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday when defensive back Antrell Rolle ripped running back Larry Johnson's head off after a seventy-eight yard screen pass from quarterback Damon Huard.

After receiving the pass and breaking a tackle by Cardinal defender Darnell Dockett, Johnson ran down the sideline when his facemask was grabbed by Rolle who twisted Johnson’s head until it came off and rolled into the endzone.

Johnson lay motionless on the sidelines for several minutes as team trainers and local physicians on the scene worked feverishly to reconnect the head. After several unsuccessful attempts, the pro bowl running back’s head was placed in the team’s Gatorade cooler and Johnson re-entered the game with his helmet affixed to his shoulder pads with Gorilla Glue.

“We needed this win,” said Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards, “And, head or no head, Larry wanted back in the game.”

Small children attending the event began screaming as Johnson came back onto the field. Fans were then cautioned by game announcers to cover their eyes before the next play which gained the Chiefs no yards. Several plays later, Chiefs place kicker Lawrence Tynes completed a 28 yard, game-winning field goal and Johnson’s torso was led to the sidelines by a group of his teammates. An embarrassing moment ensued near the Chiefs’ bench as Johnson attempted to “high five” several players who were standing some 20 feet away.

During a post-game press conference, Edwards was upbeat, “Larry will be okay. I’m no doctor, but the last time I checked, you don’t need a heck of a lot of brains to run the ball. He may not have his head in the game next week, but he’ll play. He’ll play”.

When asked by reporters after the game how he felt about the Chiefs performance, Johnson had no comment.

FAX

OldTownChief
10-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Your articles are dry and boring.

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Your articles are dry and boring.

I just got a raise for being dry and boring, I guess. w00t!

scott free
10-10-2006, 05:43 PM

Chief fans got an early Halloween surprise from the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday when defensive back Antrell Rolle ripped running back Larry Johnson's head off after a seventy-eight yard screen pass from quarterback Damon Huard.

After receiving the pass and breaking a tackle by Cardinal defender Darnell Dockett, Johnson ran down the sideline when his facemask was grabbed by Rolle who twisted Johnson’s head until it came off and rolled into the endzone.

Johnson lay motionless on the sidelines for several minutes as team trainers and local physicians on the scene worked feverishly to reconnect the head. After several unsuccessful attempts, the pro bowl running back’s head was placed in the team’s Gatorade cooler and Johnson re-entered the game with his helmet affixed to his shoulder pads with Gorilla Glue.

“We needed this win,” said Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards, “And, head or no head, Larry wanted back in the game.”

Small children attending the event began screaming as Johnson came back onto the field. Fans were then cautioned by game announcers to cover their eyes before the next play which gained the Chiefs no yards. Several plays later, Chiefs place kicker Lawrence Tynes completed a 28 yard, game-winning field goal and Johnson’s torso was led to the sidelines by a group of his teammates. An embarrassing moment ensued near the Chiefs’ bench as Johnson attempted to “high five” several players who were standing some 20 feet away.

During a post-game press conference, Edwards was upbeat, “Larry will be okay. I’m no doctor, but the last time I checked, you don’t need a heck of a lot of brains to run the ball. He may not have his head in the game next week, but he’ll play. He’ll play”.

When asked by reporters after the game how he felt about the Chiefs performance, Johnson had no comment.

FAX
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

OldTownChief
10-10-2006, 05:44 PM

Consider the source.

Simply Red
10-10-2006, 05:44 PM

FAX

Finally. Where has it been all season?

Finally he's PISSED!

OldTownChief
10-10-2006, 05:45 PM

FAX

Now thats some enjoyable reading.

Simply Red
10-10-2006, 05:46 PM

No, No don't be silly. Your not dry and boring. I happen to find your threads superlative.

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Consider the source.

You got something against the fine folks running realfootball365.com?

OldTownChief
10-10-2006, 05:49 PM
You got something against the fine folks running realfootball365.com?

Nope, been a football fan for around 35 years and never went to that site.

FAX
10-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Headless Larry Arrested

Chiefs running back Larry Johnson, whose head was removed in the first known sports-related decapitation, was arrested early this morning by Kansas City police and charged with assault.

According to a police spokesperson, officers responded to a 911 call and, after arriving at the scene, arrested Johnson who had allegedly attempted to hit his girlfriend but missed and struck a bystander instead. Eyewitnesses reported that the pro-bowl running back was arguing with his companion with the assault occurred.

“They were having a pretty heated discussion,” said one witness who agreed to speak under the condition of anonymity, “but it seemed kind of one-sided. The girl was doing all the talking and Larry was just sort of standing there. Then out of the blue, he took a swing at her. I guess he missed. And, you know, he’s a lot shorter than I thought he would be.”

Police on the scene said that Johnson refused their orders to enter the police vehicle. “We kept asking him to comply, but he just wandered around like he was lost or something.” said one arresting officer, “He even refused to give us his name or acknowledge his rights after they were read to him, so we tasered him.”

Johnson’s attorney released a preliminary statement indicating that a press conference will be held at noon today to issue Johnson’s account of the incident.

FAX

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Good god, you suck.

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Good god, you suck.

Maybe someday you can get paid for sucking.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Maybe someday you can get paid for sucking.

I'd rather not. Those types of things produce several unintended consequences. Like you :)

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 06:44 PM
That's good, Skip. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

FAX
10-10-2006, 06:45 PM

ROFL

Did you see what he did?

FAX

Skip Towne
Did anyone actually slog through that whole thing? What drivel.

Count Zarth
I didn't actually. Did anyone save the post?

FAX
10-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Did anyone actually slog through that whole thing? What drivel.

Much better.

FAX

FAX
10-10-2006, 06:47 PM
I didn't actually. Did anyone save the post?

ROFL

He quoted one of my "Headless Larry" articles. I mean, he's right about the drivel part and all.

FAX

Skip Towne
10-10-2006, 06:48 PM
ROFL

He quoted one of my "Headless Larry" articles. I mean, he's right about the drivel part and all.

FAX
I deleted it because I quoted your post by mistake. I didn't want that.

FAX
10-10-2006, 06:50 PM
I deleted it because I quoted your post by mistake. I didn't want that.

You are never wrong, Mr. Skip Towne. I'm certain that fate directed your hand.

FAX

Skip Towne
10-10-2006, 06:52 PM
You are never wrong, Mr. Skip Towne. I'm certain that fate directed your hand.

FAX
Not a chance. It is directed at mamasboy.

OldTownChief
10-10-2006, 07:07 PM
You ask for Comments? Suggestions? Criticism? I don't doubt that you have potential, its just that everything you write is filled with the obvious. No originality to speak of. Were you just shooting for a re-cap of the game? If so it's a stupid title. Is this an article about Larry Johnson or about a football game?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-10-2006, 07:10 PM
You ask for Comments? Suggestions? Criticism? I don't doubt that you have potential, its just that everything you write is filled with the obvious. No originality to speak of. Were you just shooting for a re-cap of the game? If so it's a stupid title.

This is all true, and when combined with your sentence style and structure, which is redundant and banal, it makes for a painful read. You'd do well to take a creative writing workshop, or read more fiction and try and implement more stylistics into your writing. As of now, it reads like an instruction manual.

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Were you just shooting for a re-cap of the game?

Uh, yeah. I don't know what else you were expecting.

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 07:12 PM
As of now, it reads like an instruction manual.

Bullshit. This is more entertaining writing than your average AP story, which is about as boring as it gets.

OldTownChief
10-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Uh, yeah. I don't know what else you were expecting.

By the title I expected an article about Larry Johnson, not a re-cap of a game Larry played in.

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 07:15 PM
The article was mostly about Larry. Hence the title.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Bullshit. This is more entertaining writing than your average AP story, which is about as boring as it gets.

ROFL

As someone who actually has studied journalism, that is a ridiculous statement. Other than the AP style errors, that article couldn't be any more generic if you sold it at a Dollar Store.

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 07:24 PM
that article couldn't be any more generic if you sold it at a Dollar Store.

That's a load of crap. I was talking about Jekyll and Hyde at the end.

Donger
10-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Not that bad. But, not exactly your best piece to date.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-10-2006, 07:57 PM
That's a load of crap. I was talking about Jekyll and Hyde at the end.

What a daring, crazy analogy :rolleyes:

plbrdude
10-10-2006, 09:06 PM

FAX

sounds like an episode of celebrity death match

Phobia
10-10-2006, 09:14 PM
While the criticism is a little on the harsh side, there is some merit to it. If I hadn't seen the game, I'd perhaps have read the entire article. Since I watched the game, I couldn't take the recap. I stopped reading about halfway through.

OldTownChief
This is more entertaining writing than your average AP story,

Only if your target audience is somewhere around the 10-12 year old range, otherwise your articles have absolutely no entertainment value what-so-ever.

Halfcan
I hope LJ holds on to the damm ball this weekend-he has been killing us with his fumbles-costing us the Donks game and Bungles.

KcMizzou
10-10-2006, 09:20 PM
I hope LJ holds on to the damm ball this weekend-he has been killing us with his fumbles-costing us the Donks game and Bungles.You're right that he's got to cut that shit out. There's no excuse for it, and it's got to stop.

However, I shudder to think where we'd be without him.

He'll get it worked out.

Florida_Bronco
10-10-2006, 10:43 PM

You are the last one who should be saying that to anyone.

Psyko Tek
10-11-2006, 12:58 AM
This is all true, and when combined with your sentence style and structure, which is redundant and banal, it makes for a painful read. You'd do well to take a creative writing workshop, or read more fiction and try and implement more stylistics into your writing. As of now, it reads like an instruction manual.

we don't want that
if he used that style
herm would be LJ's father

or we would clone a whole Oline of Bubba Roalfs

King_Chief_Fan
10-11-2006, 07:17 AM
whoa-
who wrote that article? GoChiefs?
don't give up your day job man....oh wait....

vailpass
10-11-2006, 10:34 AM
This article would be useful as a practice excercise wherein freshman journalism students could read it and identify multiple examples of what good sports journalism is not.

StcChief
10-11-2006, 10:37 AM
This article would be useful as a practice excercise wherein freshman journalism students could read it and identify multiple examples of what good sports journalism is not.

I didn't want to say it... but your right. :clap:

Will practice make improvements...I'm sure we will see as it's pimped weekly here.

Count Zarth
10-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Please don't quote vailpass and his worthless opinions.

vailpass
10-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Please don't quote vailpass and his worthless opinions.

Draven can't handle the truth so he puts me on iggy so as to avoid re-hydrating the salt spiders on his Princess Leia sheets with his boy tears.

Begging people not to quote those you have on iggy because you are afraid of them is so frigging lame it hurts.

Phobia
10-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I've already said this article wasn't his best work. His article at Scout earlier this week was real strong.

vailpass
10-11-2006, 11:06 AM
I've already said this article wasn't his best work. His article at Scout earlier this week was real strong.

I admire your self-confidence that is so strong it let's you associate yourself with Draven without being afraid of how it reflects on you.

Florida_Bronco
10-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Draven can't handle the truth so he puts me on iggy so as to avoid re-hydrating the salt spiders on his Princess Leia sheets with his boy tears.

Begging people not to quote those you have on iggy because you are afraid of them is so frigging lame it hurts.

He pulled that crap on the Mane with me here awhile back. He threatened to ignore anyone who quoted me, so of course everyone and their mother starts quoting me to piss him off.

After a few days of realizing the Mane was about to get very lonely for him, he backed off. :)

Spott
10-12-2006, 03:08 PM
He pulled that crap on the Mane with me here awhile back. He threatened to ignore anyone who quoted me, so of course everyone and their mother starts quoting me to piss him off.

After a few days of realizing the Mane was about to get very lonely for him, he backed off. :)

You mean it pissed him off when people did this?

:)

Florida_Bronco
10-12-2006, 03:13 PM
You mean it pissed him off when people did this?

:)

Gochiefs is easy to piss off.

excessive
10-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Gochiefs,

The dueling Larrys was a good conceit (look it up). It was just overworked a bit. Well, actually, it was really strained to the max. Use the controlling metaphor, but give your reader some credit for intelligence.

Keeping writing. What's good will get better and what's weak, we'll, hopefully there's a cure.

excessive

Count Zarth
10-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Gochiefs is easy to piss off.

Blow it out your ass, troll.

Count Zarth
10-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Gochiefs,

The dueling Larrys was a good conceit (look it up). It was just overworked a bit. Well, actually, it was really strained to the max. Use the controlling metaphor, but give your reader some credit for intelligence.

Keeping writing. What's good will get better and what's weak, we'll, hopefully there's a cure.

excessive

A good conceit? LMAO

Keeping writing? :LOL:

You're no genius yourself there, pal.

excessive
10-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Sorry about the proofreading, my bad.

I was being complementary, with a wee dig. Don't be so sensitive.

GoodDaySir!
10-12-2006, 03:57 PM
You're not very good at taking critisism.

Whenever you pull the "Do you get paid for sucking?"

or

"You're no genious yourself" it really makes people not want to read your stuff - whether it's good or bad.

That and trolling other boards does the same thing. It completely destroys your chance to be taken seriously. Kind of like it is hard for people to take Phobia seriously for defending you (see above) and Athan (see any post on him here or anywhere else).

Donger
10-12-2006, 03:58 PM
A good conceit? LMAO

And what precisely is wrong with the above?

Phobia
10-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Sorry about the proofreading, my bad.

I was being complementary, with a wee dig. Don't be so sensitive.

I thought your feedback was pristine despite the error. Clayton could have handled it with more grace.

Well done.

Count Zarth
10-12-2006, 04:06 PM
And what precisely is wrong with the above?

He meant 'concept.'

I don't see how it's overcooked at all. The article wasn't even that long.

Phobia
10-12-2006, 04:07 PM
I admire your self-confidence that is so strong it let's you associate yourself with Draven without being afraid of how it reflects on you.

He's not perfect and neither am I. He has a lot of potential and it's starting to show, despite this particular bomb.

Though I suspect your post was a lot more about digging on Clayton than it was about me at all.

Phobia
10-12-2006, 04:09 PM
He meant 'concept.'

No he didn't. You should let this one go already.

Count Zarth
10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Shit. I guess you learn something everyday.

Donger
10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
He meant 'concept.'

Really? You think so? Let's ask him.

Excessive: did you mean to type 'concept' instead of 'conceit'?

Count Zarth
10-12-2006, 04:12 PM
I looked it up. ME DUMB!

This thread has no hope of dropping for at least an hour.

JBucc
10-12-2006, 04:13 PM
HAHAHA GoChiefs is so dumb.

Donger
10-12-2006, 04:16 PM
I looked it up. ME DUMB!

This thread has no hope of dropping for at least an hour.

Excellent.

scott free
10-12-2006, 04:22 PM
I thought your feedback was pristine despite the error. Clayton could have handled it with more grace.

Well done.
Yep.....

Donger
10-12-2006, 04:28 PM

So, you didn't find anything about the article to be worthwhile?

vailpass
10-12-2006, 04:49 PM
He's not perfect and neither am I. He has a lot of potential and it's starting to show, despite this particular bomb.

Though I suspect your post was a lot more about digging on Clayton than it was about me at all.

Not so. I was being completely sincere.

vailpass
10-12-2006, 04:50 PM
A good conceit? LMAO

OMFG.

Donger
10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by GoChiefs
A good conceit? LMAO

OMFG.

Whassamadda?

vailpass
10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by GoChiefs
A good conceit? LMAO

Whassamadda?

LMAO Oh nothing, nothing at all.

Skip Towne
10-12-2006, 04:56 PM
I've already said this article wasn't his best work. His body odor at Scout earlier this week was real strong.
Agreed.

HemiEd
10-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Gochiefs,

excessive

Sounds like you know what you are talking about. I had to think about the article for a while, I was truly intrigued by the angle. It was just a little cute for me, but respect the effort.

Short Leash Hootie
10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
so honestly, is skip gay?

vailpass
10-12-2006, 05:11 PM

You interested? :p

Skip Towne
10-12-2006, 05:15 PM
You interested? :p
I've always thought Hootie was a little swishy.

Short Leash Hootie
10-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm a little interested...as long as Olive Garden is in the equation.

vailpass
10-12-2006, 05:19 PM
ROFL

scott free
10-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Hootie you've come full circle.... the Olive Garden schtick started cool....then got old quickly......but is now kinda funny again. You stick to your guns..............................

Short Leash Hootie
10-12-2006, 05:25 PM
dude, that never ending pasta dish is the shizzle. FIVE CHEESE MARINARA?! Top it off with all of the breadsticks and salad you can handle, and you've had yourself a winning date.

Florida_Bronco
10-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Blow it out your ass, troll.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/oliphant/oa048.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
10-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Consider the source.

WPI has more sources than phog.net (if that's possible.)

WilliamTheIrish
10-12-2006, 06:14 PM

He's an older man. Living alone. In Tulsa. No chix. No prospects. I'd say he's spectacularly, incredibly, flamingly, Seigfried and Royishly....

nah. Just an Okie version of Kostanza. I predict he gets hired by the Yankees as the Ass't to the Traveling Secretary. Possibly in charge of all fixed wing aircraft.

Donger
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
I've always thought Hootie was a little swishy.

Watch out, Hootie. Skip's horny and on the prowl. If you're lucky, he'll ask you if you're a 'c*cksucker' next. That seems to be his favorite.

Count Zarth
10-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Skip takes advantage of young college boys in the back of his DirecTV van.

Short Leash Hootie
10-12-2006, 06:25 PM
I can't wait!

Donger
10-12-2006, 06:28 PM
I can't wait!

GoChiefs can probably give you a handy in the interim.

Short Leash Hootie
10-12-2006, 06:29 PM
I'd go for anything right now...

Donger
10-12-2006, 06:30 PM
I'd go for anything right now...

In that case, where's chiefs4me?

Short Leash Hootie
10-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Is it a dude?

Florida_Bronco
10-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Skip takes advantage of young college boys in the back of his DirecTV van.

Were you disappointed when he refused to cuddle with you afterwards?

scott free
10-12-2006, 06:35 PM
In that case, where's chiefs4me?
I dont even know this woman but THATS a rough statement.... :LOL:

Donger
10-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Is it a dude?

No. It's a female. You might have to work your way around a few fellas attached to it, however.

OldTownChief
10-12-2006, 07:28 PM
I didn't say anything about WPI. I asumed he was talking about realfootball365.