ChiefsCountry
10-10-2006, 06:07 PM
How about another stat:

Record after first 4 games.

2006 = 2-2
2005 = 2-2

Crashride
10-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Well not that much different at all now is it. Key lossses contribute to the less yards and extra sacks, although were not much behind. Ill sarafice a few yards here and there for a number 4 defense. Unfortunatly Herm needs to back up his statements about not turning over the ball. Its still a problem. All in all this stat is proof were not that far off from last year.

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 06:09 PM
How about another stat:

2006 = 2-2
2005 = 2-2

Good point. This is also interesting.

2005 third-down conversion rate through 4 games:

35.2 %

2006 third-down conversion rate through 4 games:

40.4 %

Crashride
10-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Good point. This is also interesting.

35.2 %

40.4 %

One of those years has to be changed Go Chiefs

Deberg_1990
10-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Unfortunatly Herm needs to back up his statements about not turning over the ball. Its still a problem.

Agreed. Its infuriating to me. Learn to protect the ball and catch the ball on critical 3rd downs and this team is golden.

redngold85
10-10-2006, 07:19 PM
How about another stat:

2006 = 2-2
2005 = 2-2
and those two wins are credited to the backup QB...interesting

noa
10-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I think the most disturbing number is the rushing yards per game. I don't mind if Larry isn't putting up eye popping stats every game, but our backfield needs to produce more than 106 rushing yards per game if we want to play the kind of football Herm envisions.

Easy 6
10-10-2006, 07:30 PM
I think the most disturbing number is the rushing yards per game. I don't mind if Larry isn't putting up eye popping stats every game, but our backfield needs to produce more than 106 rushing yards per game if we want to play the kind of football Herm envisions.
We can thank "Peanut Brittle Bennett" for that, he's just soaking the NFL for cash it seems :mad: ,Herm said he was probable this week so we will just see how deep his vaj really goes.

suds79
10-10-2006, 07:36 PM

I agree. Unfortunately there is not a lot we can do when the talent on the O-line isn't that great.

LT - Either Turley (undersized) or Black (shouldn't be in the NFL)
LG - Good there
C - Undersized but good there
RG - Good there but you can't convince me that Will is the same play he's been in years past.
RT - Sampson. Seems to be doing okay but kinda a question mark at this point.

LT is the big problem though IMO.

mcan
10-10-2006, 07:41 PM
I think it's important to point out that our "average" over the first four games has been significantly scewed by our ass whooping over the niners. There is no question that our offense has taken a step back.

Deberg_1990
10-10-2006, 07:43 PM
I agree. Unfortunately there is not a lot we can do when the talent on the O-line isn't that great.

LT - Either Turley (undersized) or Black (shouldn't be in the NFL)
LG - Good there
C - Undersized but good there
RG - Good there but you can't convince me that Will is the same play he's been in years past.
RT - Sampson. Seems to be doing okay but kinda a question mark at this point.

LT is the big problem though IMO.

We should be doing better on the ground. All of these guys including Black are decent straight ahead run blockers. Im at a loss....

headsnap
10-10-2006, 07:44 PM
last year we were without Roaf for most of those first four games, this year....

nevermind... :banghead:

stevieray
10-10-2006, 07:54 PM
let's not forget that mike is in his first four games as an OC. He's gotten better each time.

No one thought that we would be without roaf, welbourne, and green.

So far, LJ is averaging seven yards(IIRC) per touch. I can remember Priest having big days receiving. As long as larry is getting his yards, we'll be ok. I think the oline will get stronger the longer it plays together.

Even though it has only been four games, the biggest difference is the team mentality and the attitude on defense.

I'm finding it hard to be unhappy crawling out of a 0-2 hole to 2-2 with a depleted roster.

TRR
10-10-2006, 09:16 PM
I would have to say that I place some of the blame on Larry Johnson himself for the slow start running the football. There have been numerous plays where he has been almost too patient behind the line, or stretched the play to the sidelines when he should have cut it up.

I can think of about 5 plays a game where LJ missed the hole the O Line has opened up for him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad mouthing the guy. I think it will take to time for Larry to get in rhythm with his new FB, and R/L tackle. I just feel that Larry is really second guessing his FB and O Line right now, and trying to make holes himself. Especially on the stretch plays.

Crashride
10-10-2006, 11:09 PM
let's not forget that mike is in his first four games as an OC. He's gotten better each time.

No one thought that we would be without roaf, welbourne, and green.

So far, LJ is averaging seven yards(IIRC) per touch. I can remember Priest having big days receiving. As long as larry is getting his yards, we'll be ok. I think the oline will get stronger the longer it plays together.

Even though it has only been four games, the biggest difference is the team mentality and the attitude on defense.

I'm finding it hard to be unhappy crawling out of a 0-2 hole to 2-2 with a depleted roster.

7 yards per touch are you sure?

stevieray
10-10-2006, 11:10 PM
7 yards per touch are you sure?

rushing/receiving

Crashride
10-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Oh ok gotcha my bad. LJ is getting amazing recieving yards this year and is definetly comparable to priest. He is well rounded and once he holds on to the ball nothing but good can come of him. Last year he couldnt block and it was costly...see the cowboys game with fujita. But now its fixed so hopefully he fixes the fumbling and were good to go. Some of those turnovers were huards fault though.

unlurking
10-10-2006, 11:38 PM
I think it's important to point out that our "average" over the first four games has been significantly scewed by our ass whooping over the niners. There is no question that our offense has taken a step back.
I would not say "significantly".

125 yards rushing
208 yards receiving

That's only 19 more rushing yards and 13 more receiving yards. The "significant" difference was the +4 turnover ratio.

Count Zarth
10-10-2006, 11:40 PM
That is actually very comforting, unlurking. It's nice to know our D can play at that level and have that effect on the game.

unlurking
10-10-2006, 11:44 PM
That is actually very comforting, unlurking. It's nice to know our D can play at that level and have that effect on the game.
Agreed. Now if we stopped giving up the ball, we'd be even better. Personally, I think you take away the first LJ fumble (against the Cards), we'd have gone into the half up 17-10, or at least tied 10-10. Right now, if we can fix that turnover problem on our offense, we would probably be a much higher ranked team on offense.

Crashride
10-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Agreed. Now if we stopped giving up the ball, we'd be even better. Personally, I think you take away the first LJ fumble (against the Cards), we'd have gone into the half up 17-10, or at least tied 10-10. Right now, if we can fix that turnover problem on our offense, we would probably be a much higher ranked team on offense.

Take away LJs fumble against the Donkeys and we have another W

unlurking
10-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Take away LJs fumble against the Donkeys and we have another W
Would have to agree with that.

We stop the turnovers on offense, and I think we are a playoff team.

Oregon chief
10-11-2006, 12:12 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2620278

This is one of the best articles i've read on the chiefs.