PDA

View Full Version : Trading A-Rod?

ChiefsCountry
10-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Thats the talk on ESPN. Its makes sense if you can find a taker, I think the perfect team for him would be the Cubs. They could trade Aramis Ramriaez and either Prior or Kerry Wood to the Yanks and it could work out well for both teams IMO.

JBucc
10-10-2006, 11:22 PM
He'd be perfect for the Cubs. Knocking bombs out of Wrigley while getting drunk with Cubbie fans watching the playoffs. Ah what life is a breeze with a marchanio cherry on top.

Miles
10-10-2006, 11:25 PM
I wouldn't be suprised at all if they trade him. With the cash that Texas ate his contract is fairly managable and he is still a superstar despite all the negative press from his time in NY.

If they trade him they should at least be targeting a solid young pitcher in return. Not sure what the Cubs would have to offer outside of Zambrano.

OnTheWarpath58
10-10-2006, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't be suprised at all if they trade him. With the cash that Texas ate his contract is fairly managable and he is still a superstar despite all the negative press from his time in NY.

If they trade him they should at least be targeting a solid young pitcher in return.

Which rules out Prior or Wood.

Unless your definition of "solid" means pitching for 2 months out of every season.....

Miles
10-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Which rules out Prior or Wood.

Unless your definition of "solid" means pitching for 2 months out of every season.....

Yeah damaged goods would probably not work. Prior has mecca potential but I can't see someone trading an established star for him at this point.

Halfcan
10-10-2006, 11:32 PM

If they trade him they should at least be targeting a solid young pitcher in return. Not sure what the Cubs would have to offer outside of Zambrano.

You call 19 mil a year that the Yanks are on the hook for managable? Plus he has a No trade clause.

NaptownChief
10-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if they did it but foolish if they do....The guy is the reigning MVP and MVP 2 of the last 3 years despite his struggles this year in the field and post season slump. You would be giving up one of the 5 best in baseball so you should only do that if you are getting a bunch in return.

Miles
10-10-2006, 11:35 PM
You call 19 mil a year that the Yanks are on the hook for managable? Plus he has a No trade clause.

I think its somewhere around 19 mil or less for the remainder of his contract. For a player of his caliber, yes it is managable.

Im also just taking an outside guess at this but for some reason I could see him waiving his no trade clause to play for a decent contender.

Miles
10-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if they did it but foolish if they do....The guy is the reigning MVP and MVP 2 of the last 3 years despite his struggles this year in the field and post season slump. You would be giving up one of the 5 best in baseball so you should only do that if you are getting a bunch in return.

Agreed. I really don't get the facination the media and fans have with ripping on him so much. If you can return him to SS where he belongs he has even more value.

OnTheWarpath58
10-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Realistically, there are only 3-4 teams who can afford, or are willing to spend 19M on one player:

Cubs. As discussed earlier, Wood and Prior are not a realistic option.

Mets. Don't have the need.

Dodgers: Don't see them spending the cash, or having the bait to pull it off.

Red Sox. ?????

Anyone I'm missing?

NaptownChief
10-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Agreed. I really don't get the facination the media and fans have with ripping on him so much. If you can return him to SS where he belongs he has even more value.

It certianly became the cool thing to do in NY....ARod needs to stop being nice to them after they turned on him. He needs to fire back with some of their own vinegar. They will probably respect him more if he did. After the Giambi comments in SI he should have said something to the effect that he doesn't care what is said from someone who's only career accomplishments came taking juice. And should have made the statement that they have treated him worse than a guy who looked like death warmed over and struggling to hit .200 not so long ago trying to recover from his lack of vitamin S. That would shut Giambi up on the issue.

Miles
10-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Realistically, there are only 3-4 teams who can afford, or are willing to spend 19M on one player:

Red Sox. ?????

Anyone I'm missing?

Angles or White Sox maybe? If a team can give up enough or the Yanks get desparate enough I could see them eating a few mil more of the contract a year. Then most of the mid to large market teams with say an over 85 million payroll would probably take a look. Detroit wouldn't be an unreasonable target either.

NaptownChief
10-10-2006, 11:45 PM

Red Sox. ?????

Anyone I'm missing?

I thought about the Mets and the one outside possibility would be to move Reyes back to 2nd base where they brought him up initially and ARod to SS. Probably not worth what they would have to give up in return however.

tk13
10-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Angels have the players to do it... I think Peter Gammons mentioned the White Sox today too.

Mecca
10-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah damaged goods would probably not work. Prior has mecca potential but I can't see someone trading an established star for him at this point.

Mark Prior wants to be like me, that's right, Miles said so.

Halfcan
10-11-2006, 12:05 AM
I think its somewhere around 19 mil or less for the remainder of his contract. For a player of his caliber, yes it is managable.

Im also just taking an outside guess at this but for some reason I could see him waiving his no trade clause to play for a decent contender.

ROFL He already plays for a team that had the most wins in the season-loaded with talent-I would call that a contender.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-11-2006, 12:10 AM
I honestly think the Yankees would accept a Scott Rolen and Adam Wainwright for A-Rod deal.

The only problem?? The cards are hurting for starting pitching, and Wainwright will probably be their #4 next year. Rolen's shoulder is still a little dicey, and A-Rod would be a huge defensive downgrade, but he would definitely give the Cardinals lineup some much more needed pop. The cards would only take on a few million extra in salary.

That being said, I still wouldn't do it, if only for the arms we need.

Halfcan
10-11-2006, 12:13 AM
A rod to the Cards would be awesome for them. But losing Rolen? He is a pretty good player too though-where is the benefit?

Mecca
10-11-2006, 12:13 AM
I love how A-Rod is probably a top 5 defensive shortstop of the last 20 years yet people are worried about his defense because of 3rd base........put him back at ****ing SS and you don't have a problem.

Halfcan
10-11-2006, 12:16 AM
I love how A-Rod is probably a top 5 defensive shortstop of the last 20 years yet people are worried about his defense because of 3rd base........put him back at ****ing SS and you don't have a problem.

Finally you say something I agree with. He had a few Gold Gloves.

Miles
10-11-2006, 12:17 AM

No shit. Problem solved and a hitter of his caliber is even more valuable at SS.

Miles
10-11-2006, 12:20 AM
ROFL He already plays for a team that had the most wins in the season-loaded with talent-I would call that a contender.

So waiving his trade clause is a problem but since the team he is obviously uncomforable with is such a powerhouse he shouldn't?

Halfcan
10-11-2006, 12:21 AM
ARod still has 300 more homers to hit before he is done-any team would be lucky to have him.

Miles
10-11-2006, 12:22 AM
ARod still has 300 more homers to hit before he is done-any team would be lucky to have him.

Now you are thinking on the right track.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-11-2006, 12:23 AM

Good, yes. Top 5?? I don't know about that one.

Ozzie Smith covers that area, as does Omar Vizquel, Tony Fernandez, Barry Larkin. Hell Rey Ordonez was a better defensive shortstop than A-rod, as was the St. Louis version of Renteria.

Halfcan
10-11-2006, 12:25 AM
So waiving his trade clause is a problem but since the team he is obviously uncomforable with is such a powerhouse he shouldn't?

If I was ARod-I would say F#ck you NY and to the Boss. They booed him all year-why would he WANT to play there unless it is because they are loaded with All Stars?

Frazod
10-11-2006, 12:25 AM
ESPN reported Torre fired, too. Confirmed and verified, and false.

I think these turds are so anxious to break news that they're now making news up.

I seriously doubt if Pay-Rod is going anywhere.

Miles
10-11-2006, 12:26 AM

Ozzie Smith covers that area, as does Omar Vizquel, Tony Fernandez, Barry Larkin. Hell Rey Ordonez was a better defensive shortstop than A-rod, as was the St. Louis version of Renteria.

Top 5 currently I would agree with but doubt over the last 20. Hell I would also argue that Jose Reyes at this stage would challange A-Rod with the glove.

Cochise
10-11-2006, 12:27 AM
He said the other day he didn't want to play anywhere else so... hmm.

Miles
10-11-2006, 12:28 AM
ESPN reported Torre fired, too. Confirmed and verified, and false.

I think these turds are so anxious to break news that they're now making news up.

I seriously doubt if Pay-Rod is going anywhere.

The only thing that makes me think it will happen is that its just protecting trade value for Cashman to say he will be back next year. That A-Rod was also named the captain of the Rangers two weeks before he was traded last time also aids a bit to the speculation.

Frazod
10-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Well, I don't want that overpaid headcase choke-artist prick. If he leaves New York, I hope he goes to the Cubs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Well, I don't want that overpaid headcase choke-artist prick. If he leaves New York, I hope he goes to the Cubs.

He would look good in a Cub uniform, hitting blasts to cut the deficit to 9-2 on a hot summer's day at Wrigley.

Miles
10-11-2006, 12:34 AM

I would much rather the Cubs spend some cash on another pitcher with a bad arm. I dont know what free agents are up this year but whatever this year's version of AJ Burnett is couldn't be a better fit for them. Maybe they can swing a trade to get Farnsworth. I completly miss that guy.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-11-2006, 12:35 AM
Big FA pitchers are going to be Zito and Schmidt....look for St.L to make a run at a Tony Armas type.

Frazod
10-11-2006, 12:36 AM
I would much rather the Cubs spend some cash on another pitcher with a bad arm. I dont know what free agents are up this year but whatever this year's version of AJ Burnett is couldn't be a better fit for them. Maybe they can swing a trade to get Farnsworth. I completly miss that guy.

They need to give Wood and Prior another chance. :evil:

Mecca
10-11-2006, 12:37 AM

Smith and Ripken you can give me......after that I think he's atleast as good as the rest of those guys.

Miles
10-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Smith and Ripken you can give me......after that I think he's atleast as good as the rest of those guys.

Over Larkin and Visquel?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-11-2006, 12:41 AM

Jesus Christ I need to get away. I just became dumber by proxy.

Alex Rodriguez is as good of a defensive shortstop as Omar Vizquel???

The Fernandez (a 4 time GG'er compared to A-Rod's two) and Larkin arguments (overshadowed in his own defensive brilliance by the Wizard) are ridiculous enough, but you are telling me that some Jabroni who won two gold gloves is as good as Vizquel who won 10???

Miles
10-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Gotta agree with Hamas too on Rey Ordonez. Shitty hitter but a hell of a defensive SS.