PDA

View Full Version : @$% I just can't get ahead. Have to replace the Furnace

John_Locke
10-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Just got done paying off replacing our privacy fence because of an ice storm. Now, instead of having extra money, have to replace the fuggin furnace.

3 grand.

I know its not much, but was looking forward to a little cushion for a change

Bwana
10-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Heh! You are living my life from a year ago.

PS: Keep a close eye on the water heater.

blueballs
10-15-2006, 06:22 PM
in life money will always come and go
were you like the father in Christmas Story?

milkman
10-15-2006, 06:24 PM
I stopped trying to get ahead in the 80s.

I realized that I was cursed from birth, having been born a Chief fan.

MichaelH
10-15-2006, 06:28 PM
I feel your pain. I bought a money pit three years ago. Everything and I mean everything is screwed up about this house. Nothing major like the furnace, yet. It's just the little nickel and dime things about home ownership that makes arson look good.

John_Locke
10-15-2006, 06:32 PM
the wife is angry too because she was planning on replacing the kitchen bay window. I told her not now...

I really shouldn't complain. The house is 38 years old and the furnace is the original one but damn...the timing sucks

John_Locke
10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
in life money will always come and go
were you like the father in Christmas Story?

naw... I didn't know anything was wrong with it.

Always have it serviced before turning it on for winter and the guy said, sorry, but I have to red tag it. It is cracked too bad to just fill.

dollar1
10-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Welcome to home ownership.

Ditto Bwana

Bought the place 13 years ago and within 2 days hot water heater gave up the goose. 1/5/03, 10 degrees and 1 foot of snow. Not a good time to lose one. Same as a furnace I guess.

Maybe some one with more knowledge than I will post and give you some good ideas i.e. high effecticy, brand etc. This is a decision that will last you for a while.

~under rock~

Rain Man
10-15-2006, 08:29 PM
My first home ownership was a condo. The place was being converted from apartments to ownership, and I was the first president of the condo association. (They offered to let me be king, but I declined a la George Washington.)

This was a tiny complex with 7 units, and during the first three or four months the hot water heater went out. It turned out that it was a big commercial heater that did the whole instant-heating thing, and it cost something like $4,000 to fix it, which was almost half of the reserve. I had to call a special fee to help pay for it, which a couple of people didn't like, but I didn't care what they thought since they never did anything to help anyway. One of them was a young woman who suntanned topless outside my window, though, so I thought that she was adding value in intangible ways.

Bwana
10-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Welcome to home ownership.

Ditto Bwana

Bought the place 13 years ago and within 2 days hot water heater gave up the goose. 1/5/03, 10 degrees and 1 foot of snow. Not a good time to lose one. Same as a furnace I guess.

Maybe some one with more knowledge than I will post and give you some good ideas i.e. high effecticy, brand etc. This is a decision that will last you for a while.

~under rock~

Heh, same here regarding the furnace. I get up, fire the old pig up and smell some gas. I call the gas boys who hauled ass over when I told them about the gas and WHAM, they shut it down and said it was done. It was about 15 degrees outside so I had to say screw work and get a furnace guru over to hang a new one that day. Two weeks later the hot water heater implodes. :shake: On a side not, they are all paid off and in theory, that is something I shouldn't have to worry about for many years.

Fat Elvis
10-15-2006, 08:55 PM
That new furnace will pay for itself in the next five years due to the massive increases in heating efficiency.

NCarlsCorner2
10-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Just got done paying off replacing our privacy fence because of an ice storm. Now, instead of having extra money, have to replace the fuggin furnace.

3 grand.

I know its not much, but was looking forward to a little cushion for a change

I own a Heating & Cooling Company, what kind of furnace are you putting in a variable speed, because you can get a new furnace for around $1200 installed.