PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock - More holes than KC Streets

Count Zarth
10-16-2006, 01:10 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/15769104.htm

MORE HOLES THAN KC STREETS

P ITTSBURGH | The problem is Trent Green won’t fix the problems exposed inside Heinz Field.

John Elway couldn’t repair what the Pittsburgh Steelers unearthed on Sunday. And neither could Vince Lombardi.

There are holes in the Chiefs, shortcomings that can’t be covered by the return of KC’s starting quarterback or an improved game plan.

What we learned Sunday during the Steelers’ 45-7 thrashing of our local football team is that the Chiefs lost too much on offense from a year ago and didn’t add enough on defense this offseason.

This was no ordinary blowout loss. It was a symptom of a bigger problem. The last time we’ve seen the Chiefs play this poorly was in 1998, when they went on the road to New England in mid-October and the Patriots clocked Marty Schottenheimer’s Chiefs 40-10.

That Chiefs team, which entered the season as Super Bowl favorites, finished 7-9 and finished Marty in Kansas City.

The NFL is a league that prides itself on parity, on 32 teams of equals. No non-expansion NFL franchise is supposed to be 38 points worse than another franchise on any given Sunday.

So how did we get here, how did the Steelers jump to a 31-0 halftime lead?

“The Steelers had their backs against the wall,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards explained, “and played like a Super Bowl team.”

True that.

The defending-champion Steelers entered with a 1-3 record and a franchise quarterback fighting to keep Pittsburgh football fans happy with Charlie Batch on the bench. The Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger were desperate.

That would explain an easy, 17-point Pittsburgh victory. How to explain the additional three touchdowns?

You have to look at the Chiefs for those answers.

Not only did they lose Willie Roaf (Hall of Fame left tackle), Priest Holmes (one-time NFL record-holder for TDs in a season), Tony Richardson (the best blocking back in the league) and offensive coordinator Al Saunders (the play-caller for a record-setting offense), but the Chiefs took no action to replace any of their losses with someone better.

Kyle Turley, out of the league for two years, was signed originally to play the right tackle spot vacated by John Welbourn, and Jordan Black was supposed to fight to backup Turley. Training camp trade acquisition Michael Bennett’s resume looks nothing like Holmes’. The same can be said of Ronnie Cruz’s resume in comparison to Richardson’s. The Chiefs gave offensive-line coach Mike Solari his first crack as a play-caller.

Do any of these moves sound like the Chiefs were trying to improve their offense?

No. It sounds like a team plugging holes in a dam with their fingers. The strategy only works if you add something — a big-time No. 1 receiver, for example. The Chiefs added no new wrinkle to their offense.

And now teams stack the line of scrimmage and dare Larry Johnson to run the football. The kid who was supposed to run for 2,000 yards is going to struggle to crack 1,000. He gained 26 yards in 15 carries Sunday, and he looked tentative and indecisive doing it.

“We’re going to have to demonstrate we can throw the ball downfield or teams are going to continue to sit on 27,” tight end Tony Gonzalez said.

Defensively, the additions of Ty Law and rookie Tamba Hali were good moves. But it’s clear the Chiefs are still soft in the middle of their defensive line. Pittsburgh gashed the interior of KC’s defense with a highly effective running game. Fast Willie Parker and big Najeh Davenport took turns savaging the Chiefs. The Steelers rushed for more than 200 yards.

With no playmaker in the middle of KC’s defensive line, the Chiefs blitz in an attempt to create a consistent pass rush. Roethlisberger torched KC’s blitzes.

“We weren’t mentally ready to play,” guard Brian Waters said.

I asked the Chiefs’ defensive players if they were “flat” or “overconfident.” Sammy Knight and Lenny Walls laughed at the question.

“We just didn’t execute,” Knight said, scoffing at the idea that KC’s two-game winning streak caused the Chiefs to relax. “We didn’t tackle. Every individual is going to have to accept responsibility for what happened today.”

That includes Carl Peterson, the architect of this roster.

Psyko Tek
10-16-2006, 02:05 AM
damn, he's right :cuss:

Spicy McHaggis
10-16-2006, 02:38 AM
damn, he's right :cuss:

It's hard to be wrong about this game. It was an atrocity.

B2chiefsfan
10-16-2006, 02:51 AM
The Dark Ages of the Chiefs are upon us!!!!

MichaelH
10-16-2006, 04:47 AM
“We weren’t mentally ready to play,” guard Brian Waters said.

Ya think? :rolleyes:

the Chiefs took no action to replace any of their losses with someone better.

It's the never ending story. Carl is putting his fingers in the dam to stop the flood. Again.

ck_IN
10-16-2006, 06:47 AM
<i>“We weren’t mentally ready to play,” guard Brian Waters said.</i>

Ok now this quote <b>really</b> bothers me. They had just squeaked out a 1 point win against one of the worst teams in the league. They were going into the home of the defending Super Bowl champs who themselves were getting a little desperate. But this team wasn't ready mentally to play? <b>WTF!?</b>

Exactly what does it take to get these gentlemen ready mentally to play? Going against the toughest team they've played this season on the road with Denver and SD still in our sights wasn't enough?

I'm sure Herm will get slammed and he does deserve some blame but at some point the players themselves have to step up and take accountability. 'Not ready mentally to play' is inexcusable especially on such a veteran team.

stevieray
10-16-2006, 06:54 AM
<i>“We weren’t mentally ready to play,” guard Brian Waters said.</i>

Ok now this quote <b>really</b> bothers me. They had just squeaked out a 1 point win against one of the worst teams in the league. They were going into the home of the defending Super Bowl champs who themselves were getting a little desperate. But this team wasn't ready mentally to play? <b>WTF!?</b>

Exactly what does it take to get these gentlemen ready mentally to play? Going against the toughest team they've played this season on the road with Denver and SD still in our sights wasn't enough?

I'm sure Herm will get slammed and he does deserve some blame but at some point the players themselves have to step up and take accountability. 'Not ready mentally to play' is inexcusable especially on such a veteran team.

Because Herm did the same thing DV did with Denver...as much as Herm gushed all week about how great Pittsburg was going to play...this team was beaten before they even got on the field.

I don't give damn if they've (Pitt) won four straight SB's..you get your team ready to kick some ass, not be in awe of their abilty, or proclaim how good they are.

pisses me off.

KCChiefsFan88
10-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Whitlock hits the nail on the head... only he should have been more blunt about the fact Carl Peterson has failed this franchise once again.

Instead of being proactive, Carl is caught being reactive as usual. To lose the likes of Roaf, Priest, T-Rich and Al Saunders in the offseason and do NOTHING to effectively replace them or do anything of substance to enhance the offense in any way is typical Peterson.

I'd ask what Lamar Hunt thinks about the current situation that Carl has placed the Chiefs in, but that is a rhetorical question since I already know the answer. Lamar is all smiles... after all the season ticket base remains strong, Arrowhead remains sold out and the tax-payers recently approved sweeping renovations of the stadium that are going to jack-up Lamar's overall profit from this team.

That is all Lamar cares about after all.

DMAC
10-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Don't worry guys...they will play just good enough to keep us around.

We will suddenly have a 3 game winning streak...everyone will be saying Playoffs!!

Then, just like every season, they will just barely miss....
And keep us amped that 'next year' is 'the year'.

carlos3652
10-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Ok, just being devils advocate here...

Who could have replaced Willie Roaf in the offseason that could play like or even close to what he brought to the line...? Nobody...

Who could have replaced Preist Holmes Numbers? Nobody... Bennett is an ok back up (hurt now), but I dont understand how people think we will ever have a 1-2 punch like we had with Priest and Larry.

Who could have replaced T- Rich ability? Nobody - He was one of the best FB in the league...

Who could have replaced Al Saunders? Not sure anyone was available and Solari made sense...

Who could replace a Trent Green after week 1? Huard has done an ok job, but I dont think Green would have struggled that bad vs Pitt...

runnercyclist
10-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Spot on

carlos3652
10-16-2006, 09:34 AM
I dont think you could have replaced the players we lost with better or with the same level...

Baby Lee
10-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Not only did they lose Willie Roaf (Hall of Fame left tackle), Priest Holmes (one-time NFL record-holder for TDs in a season), Tony Richardson (the best blocking back in the league) and offensive coordinator Al Saunders (the play-caller for a record-setting offense), but the Chiefs took no action to replace any of their losses with someone better.
Three of the best ever and we didn't find an improvement in their replacement? Wow!!
And in other news, the Browns didn't immediately find a RB to improve on the loss of Jim Brown, the '00 Chiefs failed to replace DT with an improvement. The Lions failed to improve on Barry Sanders with HIS replacement, and the guy sitting behind Peyton Manning is actually NOT AS GOOD!!!!

carlos3652
10-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Three of the best ever and we didn't find an improvement in their replacement? Wow!!
And in other news, the Browns didn't immediately find a RB to improve on the loss of Jim Brown, the '00 Chiefs failed to replace DT with an improvement. The Lions failed to improve on Barry Sanders with HIS replacement, and the guy sitting behind Peyton Manning is actually NOT AS GOOD!!!!

:clap:

TrickyNicky
10-16-2006, 10:21 AM
What!? HOF LT's, Pro bowl RB's and FB's, and Record-setting OC's don't grow on trees?

BS. King Carl is just too greedy and lazy to pick 'em.

CosmicPal
10-16-2006, 10:52 AM
I love how with every loss this season we need major changes everywhere;and with every win we're a solid, respectable team with deserving talent.

We'll beat San Diego at home next week and we'll be "a championed team with the right mindset and our season is looking favorable."

We'll then lose to Seattle and we'll be "a team with too many holes and a bunch of underachivers."

:rolleyes:

We ALL knew this was going to be a tough season. You have to be kidding yourself if you think our offense was going to survive the loss of Roaf, Holmes, Welbourne, and Richardson. You have to be kidding yourself, if you believed Herm was going to wave his unlucky wand and we would magically appear in the playoffs under a new head coach. You have to be kidding yourself if you honestly believed our defense was going to start off this season like it did.

Be realistic.

DJJasonp
10-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I agree with almost all of what Whitlock said...but to be a bit of devil's advocate....

Carl couldnt sign Ty Law, a true #1 wide receiver, and a stud DT...in the same off-season...with our salary cap situation....nor can you replace a HOF OT who quits on you 2-4 weeks before the start of the season.

Now...he could have kept T-Rich...absolutely....but we really werent in the best of situations going into this past off-season because there just plain were too many holes to fill....is that Carl's fault? Absolutely.....but the problems are way too large to correct in just one off-season.

We've been spoiled somewhat...and what I mean by that is that Carl has done his damnedest to keep this team competitive (to keep seats full)....so that means we really havent had to suffer through seasons like the Chargers went through 5 or so years ago.....but that also means, we have drafted well under Carl (minus a few hits in LJ and DJ...and maybe this year's group)...and we havent been wise with our free agents.

What this all means is....at some point, it all has to catch up to us.....and you have to take it on the chin and rebuild. But we all know Carl wont do it properly as "butts in seats" is what matters the most....

oaklandhater
10-16-2006, 11:12 AM
I love how with every loss this season we need major changes everywhere;and with every win we're a solid, respectable team with deserving talent.

We'll beat San Diego at home next week and we'll be "a championed team with the right mindset and our season is looking favorable."

We'll then lose to Seattle and we'll be "a team with too many holes and a bunch of underachivers."

:rolleyes:

We ALL knew this was going to be a tough season. You have to be kidding yourself if you think our offense was going to survive the loss of Roaf, Holmes, Welbourne, and Richardson. You have to be kidding yourself, if you believed Herm was going to wave his unlucky wand and we would magically appear in the playoffs under a new head coach. You have to be kidding yourself if you honestly believed our defense was going to start off this season like it did.

Be realistic.

What have you seen this season that shows us that we can beat San Diego?

CosmicPal
10-16-2006, 11:16 AM
What have you seen this season that shows us that we can beat San Diego?

'cause stranger things have happened.

chiefsfan1963
10-16-2006, 11:16 AM
i have been saying this for years now. When CP leaves then we can truly start anew. Both Marty and DV are good coaches and should have succeeded in KC. CP is the main reason why they didn't. Marty has very tough relationship with his GM, they are not friends, and b/c of it, he may finally win a SB. If he doesn't get to the playoffs and get to the SB he will probably not return. AJ Smith has provided the players on both sides of the ball and now the burden is put on Marty. That's what a good GM can do. Marty is going to have adjust his mentality if he wants to win it all. His GM is forcing him to do it. It's tough love, but Marty will thank him for it if he finally wins a SB.

Can't wait until CP is gone!

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-16-2006, 11:20 AM
I agree with almost all of what Whitlock said...but to be a bit of devil's advocate....

Carl couldnt sign Ty Law, a true #1 wide receiver, and a stud DT...in the same off-season...with our salary cap situation....nor can you replace a HOF OT who quits on you 2-4 weeks before the start of the season.

Now...he could have kept T-Rich...absolutely....but we really werent in the best of situations going into this past off-season because there just plain were too many holes to fill....is that Carl's fault? Absolutely.....but the problems are way too large to correct in just one off-season.

We've been spoiled somewhat...and what I mean by that is that Carl has done his damnedest to keep this team competitive (to keep seats full)....so that means we really havent had to suffer through seasons like the Chargers went through 5 or so years ago.....but that also means, we have drafted well under Carl (minus a few hits in LJ and DJ...and maybe this year's group)...and we havent been wise with our free agents.

What this all means is....at some point, it all has to catch up to us.....and you have to take it on the chin and rebuild. But we all know Carl wont do it properly as "butts in seats" is what matters the most....

No, the nasty thing about parity is that we can go 8-8 every year and never have to rebuild and we will still be stupid enough to keep buying tickets hoping for a miracle.

oaklandhater
10-16-2006, 11:20 AM
'cause stranger things have happened.

It seems like every homer on the planet is picking the chiefs to win SD.NEWS FLASH Our run D was our biggest problem yesterday and we are going up agaisnt one of the best rushing offenses in the league.

CosmicPal
10-16-2006, 11:23 AM
It seems like every homer on the planet is picking the chiefs to win SD.NEWS FLASH Our run D was our biggest problem yesterday and we are going up agaisnt one of the best rushing offenses in the league.

Yay for you.

Logical
10-16-2006, 11:24 AM
I must say that we could have kept TRich but beyond that we were not going to cover the loss of Roaf. I am not sure the point about Priest makes sense if LJ is the second coming like everyone thinks. Welbourn was decent but I believe had he been the only loss he could have been replaced. What it really comes down to is the loss of Roaf and letting TRich go. I am not suprised at the seasons results so far though the magnitude of yesterdays devastation was a suprise.

oaklandhater
10-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Yay for you.

your not even going to defend why the chiefs have a chance to win SD stranger things have happened.

CosmicPal
10-16-2006, 11:30 AM
your not even going to defend why the chiefs have a chance to win SD stranger things have happened.

Good lord...I wasn't making an observation. If you understood anything, you'd understand a little thing called "sarcasm"

You honestly believe in that thick skull of yours I was actually calling the next two games for the Chiefs? :rolleyes:

Baby Lee
10-16-2006, 11:31 AM
I must say that we could have kept TRich but beyond that we were not going to cover the loss of Roaf. I am not sure the point about Priest makes sense if LJ is the second coming like everyone thinks. Welbourn was decent but I believe had he been the only loss he could have been replaced. What it really comes down to is the loss of Roaf and letting TRich go. I am not suprised at the seasons results so far though the magnitude of yesterdays devastation was a suprise.
To be clear, I don't think Welbourne is Roaf part deux, just that he's better than any of our present tackles.

Dr. Van Halen
10-16-2006, 11:36 AM

I thought we handled Denver's rushing offense pretty well in Denver, and they have also have one of the best rushing offenses (2nd in the conference).

San Diego has won against Oakland, Tennessee, Pittsburgh, and the 49ers. They lost at home to Baltimore. Let's not crown them Super Bowl Champs just yet.

I don't honestly think we know anything about this team yet. They have lost 3 games they should have lost (and looked decent in two of them, but awful in one of them) and won two games they should have won (looking mediocre in one, but amazing in the other).

chiefsfan1963
10-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Marty has a complete team this year, and he has GM that is tough and forcing him to change or else. THis may finally be Marty's year. Thanks to performance of both Marty and the GM. Something that he didn't have in KC. Marty has a chance of beating KC at arrowhead. If he does he can put us out of our misery so we can start looking forward to next year's season.

Straight, No Chaser
10-16-2006, 11:40 AM

Optimism abounds, still, less than 24 hours after getting scraped off Hienz field against a proud Steeler team, Super Bowl Champions who were 1-3 before yesterday. Ben had the worst QB rating in the league (against anyone that counts) and their O-line was poorly run blocking for their scat back on steriods. Let's not forget the 12th man either; the Iron City fans raised the Monagahelia up from it's banks after publicly pummeling Steeler performance the past weeks. Knee-jerkers in PA were calling for Charlie Batch...

Looking back to last week, I was naive to think the Chiefs would go in there and be able to hold their own. The Steelers played, as Deirdork said, like it was the Superbowl. That was truly a team effort from them. Even though the Steelers were a buzzsaw yesterday, in all three phases, the holes the Chiefs have were exposed. I think Huard, as good as he is, ran out of experience to draw from. My only gripe with him is how many balls he throws that are either deflected or hit our own players on the dome in critical down and distance situations.

--->

Halfcan
10-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Chiefs season was over when we lost the home opener and lost Trent.

Anyong Bluth
10-16-2006, 01:58 PM
great we lost people, and drafted some new ones.

I called the blow out earlier this week to a few of my friends. The game just had that setup with how Pitt was going and we snuck out of AZ. Lick your wounds and watch them do very well next week.