PDA

View Full Version : Salvaging the Offense

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-16-2006, 07:12 PM
With Cruz out for the year, and our continued problems with run-blocking, I think that we should experiment some on offense.

Instead of leaving Tony in to block every play (and wasting his talents as well as banging him up), why don't we move Turley/Svitek into the Tony role as a Tackle eligible, put Gonzo in the Slot, Kennison out wide, and have Larry and Bigfoot/Dunn in the backfield.

Wilson/Dunn could provide lead blocking or pass protection, as well as serving as safety valves for the inevitable dumpoffs.

Tony gets a free release from the line.

Eddie has a better chance to stretch the field.

Larry has more run blockers on the perimeter, which could allow him more lanes on the outside so that every team doesn't just load up the middle.

Thoughts?

Easy 6
10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
I liked every bit of it Mr. Jenkins, Solari needs to get creative before we implode.

JBucc
10-16-2006, 07:17 PM
I was thinking some about this earlier, and I know I'm going to be lambasted for suggesting this since everyone thinks it's cheating, but with our O-line struggling like it is maybe we should start using a blocking scheme similar to a certain team in the Rockies. Their O-line isn't exactly full of Pro Bowlers is it? Maybe it would take too much time to implement but I think it's worth thinking about unless we enjoy getting our asses beat at the LOS.

*ducks under table*

Count Alex's Losses
10-16-2006, 07:17 PM
I think we need more spread offense, and more running from spread formations. Loading up with two tight ends and a fullback has consistently backfired this year. It's quite pathetic to watch.

Mosbonian
10-16-2006, 07:19 PM
I think we need our Pro-Bowl QB back......

mmaddog

Count Alex's Losses
10-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Also, what has happened to the quick slant? It has disappeared since the Denver game. We did run one from the slot against Arizona.

Mosbonian
10-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Also, what has happened to the quick slant? It has disappeared since the Denver game. We did run one from the slot against Arizona.

Watch the game a little closer.....they have been cheating the LB's up into the holes to stop LJ. That means they are there to slide into the passing lanes too. There wasn't a quick slant available yesterday.

mmaddog

Sure-Oz
The offense has been bland and too predictable, that is part of hte problem with Solari learning how to call a game. 2 games we won we did some things, the 3 we lost, it was all predictable bs.

'Hamas' Jenkins
I thought about zone blocking, but I don't trust Black to block anyone in space. He's too goddamned stupid to do it.

When Wilson is in the backfield, you can put him in motion. This would allow us two intermediate receivers, one deeper threat, with a pass blocker and six guys providing Huard protection, and LJ if necessary. This would also allow us more ability to run stretch plays, and in the event of a run blitz up the middle, would open up big play potential on counters.

JMO.

CoMoChief
10-16-2006, 07:46 PM
How bout someone kidnap Roaf (using a harness that they use to transport whales) and then we don't have to worry about the left side anymore. then we could get more 5 WR sets and not have to worry about TE's blocking.

StcChief
10-16-2006, 08:19 PM
It may come to the experimenting. Not sure how creative Solari is, seems like more of a 'keep it running /maint guy'
Their should be plenty of plays in the AS playbook though.

Mr. Laz
10-16-2006, 08:29 PM
this is when coaching shows up the most ... adapting.

current coaching staff knows how to adapt defensively ..... previous coaching staff knew how to adapt offensively.

Count Alex's Losses
10-16-2006, 08:38 PM
previous coaching staff knew how to adapt offensively.

When Roaf went down, Saunders' vaunted offense looked mediocre.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Given that we have been completely inable to make halftime adjustments on offense in any game this year when we've needed to (Denver, Cincinnati, Pitt to a much smaller extent) my hopes for Solari as an adapter are flagging.

Maybe Terry Shea would have been the better choice :banghead:

Simply Red
10-16-2006, 08:43 PM
When Roaf went down, Saunders' vaunted offense looked mediocre.

T. Rich gone hasn't helped clearly.

Rising Sun
10-16-2006, 11:20 PM
this is when coaching shows up the most ... adapting.

current coaching staff knows how to adapt defensively ..... previous coaching staff knew how to adapt offensively.

This coaching staff adapt? Never! lol... Seriously tho, zone blocking wouldnt work for us. Casey Wiegmann is good moving, not blocking straight ahead on Dtackles, and a zone blocking scheme would put him in a no win situation, and give the defense good leverage at the point of attack. Maybe not having a fullback will finally convince this coaching staff to spread out a defense. I just dont get it. Maybe we should show them some film from last year and how we ran wild out of a spread offense. And dont give me the "we have jordan Black" excuse, because I would trust Black runblocking far more out of a spread set than I would out of a tight set because quite honestly its simpler with fewer people in the box, he doesnt have to decide who to block.

Tribal Warfare
10-16-2006, 11:40 PM
Move Kris "Bigfoot" Wilson to FB.

You know the real reason we lost......................................... NO SCANLON

FringeNC
10-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Herm is of the mindset of running the ball even if the D knows the run is coming. That may have worked to some degree with Richardson and Roaf and Welbourn, but not this bunch. We have to try to keep the defense guessing, and we have refused to attempt to do that so far.

How about we throw downfield occassionally on 1st and 10? Also, how about we occassionally run on 3rd down?

Herm's not to lose philosophy is to blame here. I don't blame Solari. Do you think he'd be calling these plays had Saunders gone to Washington, but DV remained our coach?

I don't tink I've ever witnessed an NFL team playing not to lose from the opening snap like we have -- and that includes Marty.

Instead of attempting to score, Herm wants to avoid sacks, interceptions, and 3rd and 10s to such a degree that the opposition knows what play we are going to run. It's pathetic.

ck_IN
10-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Oh hell let's put Huard in the shotgun and play the run & shoot. I don't think that O has been tried in awhile. Who knows it might surprise a few people.

Rising Sun
10-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Herm is of the mindset of running the ball even if the D knows the run is coming. That may have worked to some degree with Richardson and Roaf and Welbourn, but not this bunch. We have to try to keep the defense guessing, and we have refused to attempt to do that so far.

How about we throw downfield occassionally on 1st and 10? Also, how about we occassionally run on 3rd down?

Herm's not to lose philosophy is to blame here. I don't blame Solari. Do you think he'd be calling these plays had Saunders gone to Washington, but DV remained our coach?

I don't tink I've ever witnessed an NFL team playing not to lose from the opening snap like we have -- and that includes Marty.

Instead of attempting to score, Herm wants to avoid sacks, interceptions, and 3rd and 10s to such a degree that the opposition knows what play we are going to run. It's pathetic.

You are right. He wants to play it not to lose, and try to play ball control to keep the defense off the field. When a good team catches on, IE Pittsburgh, and they stop your 3 yards a play theory, your defense ends up on the field even more, and they end up getting exposed. We were pretty good last year in time of posession, but i think Herm is so in love with that stat that he doesnt want to score quick.