PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Guitar Solos

Lzen
10-16-2006, 07:03 PM
What are, IYO, the greatest guitar solos of all time.

A couple of my personal favorites.

_Under A Glass Moon - John Petrucci, Dream Theater - one of the coolest sounding solos I've ever heard

and since I'm such a huge DT fan.......

_Fatal Tragedy - John Petrucci, Dream Theater - just ****ing incredible

_Mr. Scary - George Lynch, Dokken - It's been a long time since I've heard this. But I used to be a huge Lynch fan. The guy was very smooth and his harmonics were amazing.

_Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughn - Honestly, I could name just about anything SRV did and it would qualify as one of the best of all time.

Satch? Vai? Eric Johnson? Jimmy Page? Hendrix? Yngwie?
What are some of your Greatest Guitar Solos?

StcChief
10-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Freeway Jam - Jeff Beck Blow by Blow 1975 lp.

Archie F. Swin
10-16-2006, 07:34 PM
solos within a song?

ZepSinger
10-16-2006, 07:42 PM
I'll be adding to this list, but here's probably my favorite 2:

1. Jimi Hendrix- solo following Purple Haze performed at Woodstock
2. Yngwie Malmsteen- solo in 'You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget'

I know there are more, will add as I remember them...

:rockon:

Z

chagrin
10-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Vivan Campell's "Holy Diver" solo - also Rainbow In the dark
John Petrucci - Stream Of Conciousness, plug it in and drift away baby!
and speaking of Yngwie (Zep Singer dude) - I Am A Viking HAS to be up there!
No shit, I probably will not add much more, because I will be thinking of more and more and not write them down, then they will slip into my sub concious memory.

chagrin
10-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Excuse me, I am going to download holy diver now, heh

headsnap
10-16-2006, 08:17 PM
David Gilmour on Comfortably Numb

Case Closed... :harumph:

siberian khatru
10-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Steve Howe, "Wurm," on the triple-live album "Yessongs."

Archie F. Swin
10-16-2006, 08:50 PM

oh hellz yes

also Steve Miller "The Joker"

and I always get razzed for it but I like the guitar solo on Tom Sawyer, almost has a jazz approach to it.

Munson
10-16-2006, 10:17 PM
"November Rain" - Guns N' Roses
"Sweet Child O' Mine" - Guns N' Roses

DomerNKC
10-16-2006, 10:22 PM
"sultans of swing" - Dire Straits

Demonpenz
10-17-2006, 06:25 AM
smells like teen spirit nirvana

Chiefnj
10-17-2006, 07:06 AM
I agree with others on Comfortably Numb, November Rain and Sultans of Swing.

I'd add:

Rhandy Rhoads - Mr. Crowley.
Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode.
Reid - Cult of Personality.

HC_Chief
10-17-2006, 07:54 AM
The greatest guitar solos are the ones not played.

Simplex3
10-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Not a one of these guys EVER played their solo standing beside a VW, so they must all be s**t.

[/easily swayed by marketing guy]

DMAC
10-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Gilmour is the master...

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

and

Dogs

wilas101
10-17-2006, 08:36 AM
I've never been a very big Skynyrd fan but I can't help and appreciate the solo in Freebird (especially the live version) more every time I hear it. It's not the most technical thing ever recorded but the feel is perfect in my opinion.

StcChief
10-17-2006, 08:42 AM
where's

Lynryd Skyrnd - Freebird

[overplayed 70s southern rock]

icepick64
10-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Heartbreaker by Zep, the live version. Jimmy page usually goes off, especially on "how the west was won" album, awesome solo.

Oz_Chief
10-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Angus Young's solo in "Whole Lotta Rosie" on the live album "If You Want Blood...". Excellent.

I also really like the solo in "Stairway to Heaven" on live album "The Song Remains the Same".

MichaelH
10-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Eric Clapton on "While my Guitar Gently Weeps"

Jimi Hendrix- "Little Wing"

David Gilmour- "Comfortably Numb" and many others

Dave Mason (Traffic)- "Dear Mr. Fantasy"

Steven Stills & Neil Young - Live version of "Southern Man"

DMAC
10-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Oh man, can't believe I forgot my all time (non Pink Floyd) favorite.

Three Days-Janes Addiction

That's one hell of a song right there boys and girls.

StcChief
10-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Eric Clapton - Have You Ever Loved a Woman
Blues Concert disc 2

Nzoner
10-17-2006, 12:06 PM
On topic has anyone checked out the new Peter Frampton?It's an all instumental project called Fingerprints,some excellent picking on it.

alpha_omega
10-17-2006, 12:13 PM
"Comfortably Numb" is one of my fav's...2 great solo's in the same song.

...and...

Hendrix: "Machine Gun"

StcChief
10-17-2006, 12:19 PM
then there is
LZ Jimmy Page on 'Dazed and Confused'
with the bow on guitar

a bit long though. 20 minutes

DMAC
10-17-2006, 12:20 PM
CCR- Heard It Through The Grapevine

Nzoner
10-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Personal favs of mine

David Gilmour There's No Way Out Of Here from his solo self titled debut

Gary Richrath on REO's 157 Riverside Avenue live from the Decade project

Brian May on Queen's Brighton Rock from Live Killers

Gary Hoey doing a 4 minute plus cover of The Sufaris' Wipe Out

Ted Nugent-Writing On The Wall

Dartgod
10-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Gary Richrath on REO's 157 Riverside Avenue live from the Decade projectI was thinking of Gary's Guitar Solo/Flying Turkey Trot from REO Live - You Get What You Play For

I also have to give a nod to Alex Lifeson for numerous solos, especially La Villa Strangiato and Working Man.

chagrin
10-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Three Days-Janes Addiction

faig

chagrin
10-17-2006, 02:01 PM
KK Downing's "Beyond The Realms Of Death" solo, is one for the ages.

DMAC
10-17-2006, 02:08 PM
faigHave you heard it?

chagrin
10-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Have you heard it?

Here's my explanation, and I know that I am not the only one - nobody on this boards has heard every song by every band we talk about, and still people don't like certain bands for whatever reason. I do not like Jane's Addiction, every tune I have heard by them, and remember I was in radio for 11 years, and especially when they were in their heyday, sound exactly the same and I cannot stand them

DMAC
10-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Here's my explanation, and I know that I am not the only one - nobody on this boards has heard every song by every band we talk about, and still people don't like certain bands for whatever reason. I do not like Jane's Addiction, every tune I have heard by them, and remember I was in radio for 11 years, and especially when they were in their heyday, sound exactly the same and I cannot stand themYeah, unfortunately Been Caught Stealing was one of THE worst songs ever written...EVAR...and yet it also got and gets overplayed on radio stations all over.

Three Days is their best song (and imo one of the top songs ever written). They have put out a lot of crap...especially the new album, strays. I won't capitalize or italicize strays because it sucks and doesn't deserve it.

chagrin
10-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Okay, then just for you, torso, I will download it tonight and check it out - friends?

DMAC
10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Okay, then just for you, torso, I will download it tonight and check it out - friends?Put some clothes on, then... maybe.

MichaelH
10-17-2006, 03:51 PM
I understand Chagrin about Janes Addiction. I don't hate them but I can't stand The Red Hot Chili Peppers. They can play some good jams at times but their lyrics and songwriting all sound the same. To me anyways.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Personal favs of mine

David Gilmour There's No Way Out Of Here from his solo self titled debut

Gary Richrath on REO's 157 Riverside Avenue live from the Decade project

Brian May on Queen's Brighton Rock from Live Killers

Gary Hoey doing a 4 minute plus cover of The Sufaris' Wipe Out

Ted Nugent-Writing On The Wall
What, no love for Kevin Cronin's vocal guitar solo on that one?

kc rush
10-17-2006, 04:08 PM
I also have to give a nod to Alex Lifeson for numerous solos, especially La Villa Strangiato and Working Man.

La Villa gets my vote, I could listen to that song all day.

I love Working Man, but Al was pretty raw at that time. He has become much more technically proficient over the years.

Nzoner
10-17-2006, 04:11 PM
What, no love for Kevin Cronin's vocal guitar solo on that one?

I never thought of it like that but now that you mention it.

Just a great live song overall.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-17-2006, 04:19 PM
OK after consulting my music library to jog my memory, I'd have to say "The Core" and "Let it Rain" by Clapton are among my favorites. Honorable mention to Tommy Shaw for his work in "Queen of Spades" by Styx.

chagrin
10-17-2006, 05:51 PM
Put some clothes on, then... maybe.

Ewwww

SCTrojan
10-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Jimi Hendrix- "Little Wing"

I like Stevie Ray Vaughn's version as well.

Nzoner
10-17-2006, 07:14 PM
OK after consulting my music library to jog my memory, I'd have to say "The Core"

My absolute favorite Clapton song ever

plbrdude
10-17-2006, 07:26 PM
gary richrath--golden country live version
robert quinne---blank generation
slash---sweet child o mine
alvin lee---no limit
eddie van halen----show your love
ritchie blackmore---smoke on the water

a few from the old days

RufusRJones
10-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Blank Generation is a great tune. Love Quine's playing.

Girlfriend (Matthew Sweet) - Robert Quine
Maggie Mae - Ron Wood
Anything by Jay Bennett while in Wilco
Luxury Liner - Albert Lee
Paradise City - Slash
Fire - Jimi

headsnap
10-17-2006, 07:51 PM
my three favorite:

Comfortably Numb - Gilmour (as previously listed)

Revelation Mother Earth - Rhodes

Get Rhythm - Luther Campbell (that harmonic he hits is 30 years before it's time!) :)

trndobrd
10-17-2006, 08:39 PM
A few I haven't seen yet...

On the Turning Away - David Gilmour

Eruption - Eddie Van Halen

Maggot Brain - Eddie Hazel

I'm So Afraid - Lindsey Buckingham

Whatever Junior Brown is playing at this very moment.

Molitoth
10-17-2006, 08:54 PM
I don't know about the greatest, but here are my favorite contestants...

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - Comfortably Numb "Plus many, many others"

Michael Houser (Widespread Panic) - he has blown my mind with so many songs I cant even name one

Claudio Sanchez (Coheed and Cambria) - The Final Cut (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=9A45196B38D520C4)

Braincase
10-17-2006, 09:25 PM
THree Favorites...

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
Joe Satriani - The Crush of Love
Eddie Van Halen - Hot for Teacher

*special recognition (and I reserve the right to append)
Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues

KCWolfman
10-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Texas Flood is good
I also like Eruption by EVH
Hammer to Fall - Brian May's singular best work with Queen IMO
Robert Fripp with David Bowie doing Teenage Wildlife
Mr Brownstone - Not the most technically accurate, but I always tap my foot when Slash hits this one.
Voodoo Chili - I don't care if it is Jimi doing this tune or Stevie Ray - either way, I love it
Cult of Personality - This is the Living Colour riff that caught Mick Jagger's attention - I can see why
Way too many by Steely Dan, so I will go with the classic Kid Charlemagne.
Surfing with the Alien - Satriani's single attempt at popular culture and it worked.

I know this is all older stuff, but it is all timeless as well, IMO

morphius
10-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Other then some that are already listed:

Flight of the wounded bumblebee by Nuno was pretty sweet.
I always enjoyed The Audience is Listening by Vai as well, though it is hard to say what the solo part is.

I'll add the solo in Don't De-Rock Me by Tesla as well.

Demonpenz
10-18-2006, 12:00 AM
The thread title should say "rock" solo's I am sure there are some classical guys that could stroke.

i was sad after i checked out living color's other songs. cult of personality is like a shotgun blast to your chest.
metallica master of puppets is a good one.This collection is all rock solo's i am sure could find some great classical

Braincase
10-18-2006, 07:06 AM
Surfing with the Alien - Satriani's single attempt at popular culture and it worked.

I take issue with the "single attempt" part of this - SwtA was his first attempt, but I think his most successful pop attempt was "The Summer Song" off of Flying in a Blue Dream. (need to double check that).

Lzen
10-18-2006, 07:09 AM
solos within a song?

Any guitar solo. Whether it's just a solo, a song that is all solo, or a solo within a song, it doesn't matter. Whatever you feel would be the greatest guitar solos.

Sry about not answering for a couple days. Been pretty busy.

Lzen
10-18-2006, 07:10 AM
Vivan Campell's "Holy Diver" solo - also Rainbow In the dark
John Petrucci - Stream Of Conciousness, plug it in and drift away baby!
and speaking of Yngwie (Zep Singer dude) - I Am A Viking HAS to be up there!
No shit, I probably will not add much more, because I will be thinking of more and more and not write them down, then they will slip into my sub concious memory.

I could put many Petrucci solos up there. :) And I loved listening to I Am A Viking back in the day. Used to wear out that cassete. :thumb:

Lzen
10-18-2006, 07:11 AM
smells like teen spirit nirvana

:banghead:

ROFL

Lzen
10-18-2006, 07:12 AM
The greatest guitar solos are the ones not played.

Boo!! U suck! :p

Lzen
10-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Eruption - Eddie Van Halen

I was wondering why that took so long to get posted. That's gotta be one of the most influentiel guitar solos of all time. Started a whole new generation of highly technical, fast, and long guitar solos, IMO.

Lzen
10-18-2006, 07:25 AM
The thread title should say "rock" solo's I am sure there are some classical guys that could stroke.

You're probably right. But it is mostly rock music that has guitar solos. And yes, those classical guitar virtusos can blow away some of this stuff. But I doubt too many people listen to classical. I used to listen to it every so often just to appreciate the incredible musiscianship. However, it's like some other forms of music that I've appreciated but never got into. Rock (and its multitude of variations) really gets the blood pumping for me. ;)

BTW, there are some great guitar players that are mainly known for rock or metal that incorporate other styles.

John Petrucci of Dream Theater - rock, jazz, fusion, metal, classical are all elements in DT's music.

Yngwie Malmsteen - he was the first neoclassical metal guitar god.

Symphony X (can't remember the guitarist's name) - neoclassical style. Sounds a lot like a modern day Yngwie

StcChief
10-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Texas Flood is good
I also like Eruption by EVH
Hammer to Fall - Brian May's singular best work with Queen IMO
Robert Fripp with David Bowie doing Teenage Wildlife
Mr Brownstone - Not the most technically accurate, but I always tap my foot when Slash hits this one.
Voodoo Child - I don't care if it is Jimi doing this tune or Stevie Ray - either way, I love it
Cult of Personality - This is the Living Colour riff that caught Mick Jagger's attention - I can see why
Way too many by Steely Dan, so I will go with the classic Kid Charlemagne.

I know this is all older stuff, but it is all timeless as well, IMO
FYP. Voodoo Child is classic

Voodoo Chili - thats what I had this weekend
ROFL

Lzen
10-18-2006, 07:32 AM

I had one or two of their albums, but I never really was big into Rush. My friend here at work is a huge Rush fan and he turned me on to some of Lifeson's solo work. I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Another aspect that I like is his guitar tone. So much so that I recently bought a Hughes & Kettner combo amp over a couple other similar priced ones simply because Lifeson endorses it. :)

Braincase
10-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Voodoo Chili - thats what I had this weekend
ROFL

A little more that a "slight" return?

BigChiefFan
10-18-2006, 11:10 AM
48 posts to finally see "eruption" added to the list.
I would also add EVH's "Spanish Fly"
Pretty much everything by EVH for that matter.

Gilmour is incredible as well-everything he plays sounds like it is all from the heart and feel for the song.

Add George Harrison's solo on Cream's "badge".

I could be here all day, but that's a few for now.

plbrdude
10-18-2006, 11:27 AM
a midsummer's daydream---rik emmit of triumph.

InChiefsHell
10-18-2006, 11:27 AM
Randy Rhodes "Dee". That was just sweet guitar playing.

Ted Nugent - Great White Buffalo.

Also, about a ton that others here already mentioned...I didn't read the whole thread...

trndobrd
10-18-2006, 11:45 AM
I was wondering why that took so long to get posted. That's gotta be one of the most influentiel guitar solos of all time. Started a whole new generation of highly technical, fast, and long guitar solos, IMO.

I don't know about "long" at three minutes, but certainly influential, revived the guitar solo after Pete Townsend had called the guitar solo "dead".

DMAC
10-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Every Dream Theater song has a kick ass solo.

So I will just leave it at that.

InChiefsHell
10-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Nuno Bettencourt on Come out and Play from the Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure soundtrack. Ridiculously awesome.

Baby Lee
10-18-2006, 02:41 PM
"November Rain" - Guns N' Roses
"Sweet Child O' Mine" - Guns N' Roses
Seconded?
The motion carries.

Baby Lee
10-18-2006, 02:44 PM
I understand Chagrin about Janes Addiction. I don't hate them but I can't stand The Red Hot Chili Peppers. They can play some good jams at times but their lyrics and songwriting all sound the same. To me anyways.
L A Lakers
Fastbreak makers
kings of the court, fake and break all takers
back to back is a matter of fact
a claim that remains . . . intact

M A G-I-C, see him run the court.

morphius
10-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Nuno Bettencourt on Come out and Play from the Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure soundtrack. Ridiculously awesome.
I have seen him live a couple times, pretty damn good stuff. I'll have to see if I can find that one, but I do remember him doing the Flight of the Wounded Bumblebee live and he just nailed it.

Archie F. Swin
10-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Oh shit I just thought of this one. XTC recorded a song back around '91 called "Books are Burning". Andy Partridge and Dave Gregory trade solos at the end of the song. Tasty Stuff!

chagrin
10-19-2006, 05:24 AM
I have seen him live a couple times, pretty damn good stuff. I'll have to see if I can find that one, but I do remember him doing the Flight of the Wounded Bumblebee live and he just nailed it.

His work on "Waiting For The Punchline" also kicks ass

InChiefsHell
10-19-2006, 08:21 AM

It's actually on their first album, I believe the last track. THere is also a song called Watching Waiting that has a guitar solo that makes you want to cry. Excellent stuff.

Extreme was a great band all the way around. Wonder what ever happened. I know that Gary Sharone was on that Van Halen 3 monstrosity, but I don't know what happened to him or Extreme after that was over.

kc rush
10-19-2006, 03:31 PM
a midsummer's daydream---rik emmit of triumph.

Petite Etude and Little Boy Blues too.

morphius
10-19-2006, 03:38 PM
It's actually on their first album, I believe the last track. THere is also a song called Watching Waiting that has a guitar solo that makes you want to cry. Excellent stuff.

Extreme was a great band all the way around. Wonder what ever happened. I know that Gary Sharone was on that Van Halen 3 monstrosity, but I don't know what happened to him or Extreme after that was over.
Nuno doesn't want to have anything to do with Gary, I'd have to guess it was the breakup, but I don't know. They did one of those MTV shows where they try to bring a band back together to do a concert and Nuno refused to do it and wouldn't even discuss it, everyone else was willing.

I saw them on the Pronograffiti concert, and then saw Nuno on his Schizophonic tour. Both great shows.

ChiefFan31
10-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Good Thread. Lots of good ones in here.

I have to fifth or sixth the notion about Doug Gilmour.

One that pops into my head, and the album was never big name. But Van Halen- Fair Warning. The intro and the song called Mean Street. Eddie fuggin rocks in that one. Several songs on that CD are real good IMO.

Edit - oh yeah, just about anything SRV as well

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Why is it I haven't heard of half of the stuff in this thread? I must be way more out of touch than I thought. Anyway, I wanted to give Gary Richrath another nod for "Golden Country", I'd have to say he's at his best in that one.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Good Thread. Lots of good ones in here.

I have to fifth or sixth the notion about Doug Gilmour.

One that pops into my head, and the album was never big name. But Van Halen- Fair Warning. The intro and the song called Mean Street. Eddie fuggin rocks in that one. Several songs on that CD are real good IMO.

Edit - oh yeah, just about anything SRV as well
You're right, that's a good one. I've forgotten about it.

Halfcan
10-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Alex Lifeson-pick any song. The Analog Kid solo just rips.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Alex Lifeson-pick any song. The Analog Kid solo just rips.
Was that on "Signals"? I remember the title but can't put a song to it.

Halfcan
10-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Was that on "Signals"? I remember the title but can't put a song to it.

Yep second song-just shreads. Most people don't know-a majority of his solos are always played on one string.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Yep second song-just shreads. Most people don't know-a majority of his solos are always played on one string.
I just went and previewed it on iTunes, vaguely remember it. I listened to that album a lot back in the day, I can't believe it came out in 1982. Gawd, not only am I out of touch, I'm also old. I need to get out of this thread.

Halfcan
10-20-2006, 12:18 AM
I just went and previewed it on iTunes, vaguely remember it. I listened to that album a lot back in the day, I can't believe it came out in 1982. Gawd, not only am I out of touch, I'm also old. I need to get out of this thread.

Yep Signals was my first Rush concert of many. I drank a pint of Pepermint schapps and a pint of Southern Comfort and a six pack of beer. Made out with two different hot chicks and was so wasted my friends carried me out of Kemper. Good times.

Archie F. Swin
10-20-2006, 07:57 AM
The YYZ solo deserves a mention

Brock
10-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Pretty sure it's something off of Van Halen II.

Chiefnj
10-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Others -

Jeff Beck - People Get Ready.
Keith Richards - Sympathy For The Devil

I also like the guitar work in Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell.

DMAC
10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Not a huge fan but...

I like 5 Minutes Alone by Pantera.

Their 2nd video (can't remember the name of it) is frikkin hilarious BTW.

chagrin
11-10-2006, 07:06 PM
I suggest this one
"Key To The Universe"
Michael Kiske (formerly of Helloween) and Timo Tolkki

Easy 6
11-10-2006, 07:17 PM
I didnt read the whole thread so if its been said already too bad. And i'll just go with 1 of mine because there are just too many.

Slash - Sweet Child o' Mine.

JonesCrusher
11-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Queensryche- Waiting For 22

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2006, 04:34 PM
In Burn, by the Cure, there is about a minute and a half long instrumental that is mostly a moody electric guitar (but with additional accompaniment). There have been times where I have listened to just that section 10 or more times in a row.

Fishpicker
11-11-2006, 05:48 PM
jimi hendrix: "machine gun" live at the fillmore east with Band of Gypsies

stevie ray vaughan: "life without you", "empty arms", & "mary had a little lamb"

randy rhoads: "diary of a madman"

Dark Horse
11-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Wasted years by Iron Maiden not sure if Dave Murray or Adrian smith are responsible but the riff that starts the song is killer too.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-11-2006, 06:29 PM
I'd like to add "Eminence Front" by The Who

Count Zarth
03-29-2009, 05:34 PM
This guitar solo melts my face off. 3:12 - 3:42.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYZLsaI1khk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Demonpenz
03-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Trey astanato stash?

Bowser
03-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Not really a solo, per se, but I always liked the first 40 seconds or so. One of the best openings of an 80's song, imo.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5ufENTQY84&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N5ufENTQY84&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Friendo
03-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Young Man Blues--The Who
Smoking Gun--Robert Cray
One Way Out & Jessica--Allman Brothers
Step On It/Prison of Love--Robben Ford
Little Bit of Sympathy--Robin Trower

;) and this kid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdTDu3nRpGk

Crush
03-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Although nothing can match Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, there is excellent guitar work in both Dogs and Sorrow.

Hell, the entire Floyd catalog is superb.

RippedmyFlesh
03-29-2009, 07:45 PM
Black napkins Frank Zappa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-NMnYhM3Q&feature=related

hello jeff jeff beck and stanley clarke
wind cries mary hendrix
wish you were here gilmore
Jesus Just Left Chicago

CHENZ A!
03-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Prince- Purple Rain

Redrum_69
03-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Let There Be Rock...

or

any Hendrix song

beach tribe
03-30-2009, 06:45 AM
My Foes.

Floods. Both by Pantera.

When you and hear the rain, and thunder in the background, and Dimebag Darrel kicks in with the fircest of guitars. Gives me chills man.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Kirk Hammett - One
Alex Lifeson - Red Barchetta/YYZ

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 07:27 AM
The YYZ solo deserves a mentionNot Alex Lifeson, and not a guitar, but pretty damn good!<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4XsYuHbXZUk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4XsYuHbXZUk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

beach tribe
03-30-2009, 07:35 AM
I'd like to add "Eminence Front" by The Who

Just checked this out. I've heard the song a thousand times, but didn't know it was the who.

Speaking of Who, who the hell is singing this sing? Roger Daltry is playing the bass? WTF?

beach tribe
03-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Not Alex Lifeson, and not a guitar, but pretty damn good!<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4XsYuHbXZUk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4XsYuHbXZUk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I wish I would have been given 1/100 of that kind of talent at anything.

beach tribe
03-30-2009, 09:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R99RyGMYz48&feature=related

Good God. Get past the 1st minute or so. If you like metal guitar. This is one of the best. A compilation of Dimebag's work.

Demonpenz
03-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Dimebag was the epitamy of metal (prepares to be reaperized)

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I think one of my favorite guitar solos is this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P8B-ZhAe7I#t=2m09s

Marty Friedman had a very unique ability. For one, he was already different from the other shredders on his label in the late 80's. He wasn't straight neo-classical fusion like the rest. His unique phrasings made his solo stuff strangely BEAUTIFUL. And when he added his signature to Megadeth it was some of the most interesting stuff I've ever heard.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Listening to "Black Star" by Malmsteen right now, and even though the whole song is a guitar solo, it's still one of my all-time favorites. Very haunting.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I wish I would have been given 1/100 of that kind of talent at anything.

I don't know. Alot of these so-called "virtuosos" coming out of Japan and South Korea approach playing music the same way the approach computers. Yes, they're technically proficient, but they're SO robotic. The music lacks "soul".

Garcia Bronco
03-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Gosh there are so many

"Shortest Straw" Metallica
"Eruption" E Van Halen
"Echoes" Pink Floyd
"Another Brick in the Wall P2" Pink Floyd
"Down with Disease" (Live, pick one) Phish
"Foam" Phish
"Orion" (Dual guitar portion) Metallica
"Guyute" Phish
"Little Wing" SRV
"China Cat Sunflower>I Know ou Rider" Grateful Dead
"Victim or the Crime" Grateful Dead

And that just scratches the surface.

Garcia Bronco
03-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Trey astanato stash?

Also very badass.

Garcia Bronco
03-30-2009, 10:14 AM

Vernon Reid is under rated anymore. People don't remember how badass he was.

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't know. Alot of these so-called "virtuosos" coming out of Japan and South Korea approach playing music the same way the approach computers. Yes, they're technically proficient, but they're SO robotic. The music lacks "soul".Probably explains why none of them make it in America.

beach tribe
03-30-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't know. Alot of these so-called "virtuosos" coming out of Japan and South Korea approach playing music the same way the approach computers. Yes, they're technically proficient, but they're SO robotic. The music lacks "soul".

Very True. They do not possess whatever it is that Americans, British, and others seem to have. That soul factor. They are very talented though.

Demonpenz
03-30-2009, 10:33 AM
You would think japan would have some sweet Nuclear Holochost apocolypse metal band of some form

Ebolapox
03-30-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm partial to tom morello, in particular his work in 'bulls on parade.'

he has a really 'pretty' solo in 'settle for nothing' that comes in the middle of an angry raging diatribe by de la rocha.

SRV--I'm pretty fond of texas flood.

Ebolapox
03-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Vernon Reid is under rated anymore. People don't remember how badass he was.

This. I'd almost forgotten that song.

htismaqe
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Very True. They do not possess whatever it is that Americans, British, and others seem to have. That soul factor. They are very talented though.

If by others, you mean "nobody else" then yes I agree. :)

I think the last 50 years in the UK and USA have just been so radically different socio-politically than anywhere else and that's fueled it.

It's ironic that I was listening to Malmsteen at the time I posted that. I absolutely love "Black Star" but right after it in my playlist I somehow ended up with a live cover of "Spanish Castle Magic". And I can't begin to tell you how AWFUL Yngwie sounds trying to cover Jimi Hendrix. He literally has NO SOUL.

Demonpenz
03-30-2009, 11:26 AM
we need more black people and people in general to drop the turn tables and play guitar.

BigChiefFan
04-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I just put in Pantera...Vulgar Display...and it's ripping my fucking head off. I haven't cranked this up in many of moon. Dimebag is just shreddin'.

InChiefsHell
04-04-2009, 07:35 AM
I just put in Pantera...Vulgar Display...and it's ripping my ****ing head off. I haven't cranked this up in many of moon. Dimebag is just shreddin'.

Top 5 metal album ever! To See...to bleed...cannot be taught...in turn...your making us...

...ooooooooooooooohhhh FUCKING HOSTILE!!!!

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-06-2009, 09:42 PM
I must say that even if it's not technically brilliant, one of the most emotive solos (for me) is Don Felder in "I Can't Tell You Why" by the Eagles.

kc rush
11-06-2009, 10:09 PM
I've been enjoying Andy Timmons lately.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mIAaAXBtwwI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mIAaAXBtwwI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kUOJtX_AnNY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kUOJtX_AnNY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pioli Zombie
11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
George Harrison had some great ones. "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby". "She's A Woman", "I Feel Fine", "Bad Boy", "Dizzy Miss Lizzie", "Roll Over Beethoven", "Long Tall Sally", "Taxman", "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", "Something" pick one.
Posted via Mobile Device

CosmicPal
11-07-2009, 09:04 PM
These have always been my personal faves:

Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) Hendrix or SRV (both versions are great)
Comfortably Numb, Money, Time, and a few others by Gilmour
Maggot Brain - Eddie Hazel (Funkadelic) (From a great album)
Layla and Cocaine - Clapton
Eruption and Mean Streets - Eddie Van Halen
Hotel California - Joe Walsh and the other guy (forgot his name)
Sultans of Swing - Knopfler
Lazy - Ritchie Blackmore
Truckin' and a ton of live solos - Jerry Garcia
You Shook Me All Night Long - Angus Young
Surfing with the Alien - Satriani
Sympathy for the Devil - Richards
Whipping Post - Greg Allman
Working Man - Lifeson

BigChiefFan
11-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Another, kick ass solo is Over the Mountain with Ozzy and Randy. That guitar solo is kick ass. His harmonics are the shit. Another incredible solo off that album is the song, Tonight. The producer ended the end solo way too soon, but if you keep turning it up, when it's faiding out, you can hear some quality licks. RR kicked.

blazzin311
11-07-2009, 11:54 PM
I posted a thread about them a while back after I saw them on Craig Ferguson but I really like they're playing. Rodrigo y Gabriella. I guess technically they would be guitar solo(s). They play beautifully though.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vNc5o9TU0t0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vNc5o9TU0t0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0CsLefLisE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0CsLefLisE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ho4Lto7DlE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7ho4Lto7DlE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I really like what Rodrigo does with the beer bottle about the 2:10 min. mark into the video.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9KBgg-hrtyo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9KBgg-hrtyo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This video shows what they're capable of but I like the actual video as well here, not just the playing. I thought it was well done.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/swiypXOCVFM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/swiypXOCVFM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This one is another version of Orion but has Robert Trujillo of Metallica jammin out with them. It's pretty recent too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q-BjLsiYU1A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q-BjLsiYU1A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This one's from Bonnaroo 2009. Man they can fricken play!

alpha_omega
07-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Just heard this song and remembered this thread.

Great solo(s) and great song.

Jawshco
07-14-2011, 10:10 PM
We could probably all agree on Comfortably Numb that one is legendary!

Here are some of my favorites:

Stranglehold- Ted Nugent
TNT- Angus Young (I love all the juice he pulls out of that Last Note!)
Even Flow- Stoner Gossard
One- Kirk Hammet
Crazy Train- Randy Rhodes
Working Man- Alex Lifeson
Layla- Clapton
Cars- Gary Numan
Epic- Jim Martin
Money for Nothing- Mark Knopfler
Highway Star- Richie Blackmore
Rainbow in the Dark- Vivian Campbell
Bohemian Rhapsody- Brian May
Whole Lotta Love- the Jimmy Page cover version with that Led Zepplin group
Shock Me- Ace Frehly
War Pigs- Tony Iommi
No More Tears- Zach Wylde
Beat it- Van Halen
Man in the Box- Jerry Cantrell
Any Way You Want it- Neal Shon
Rock You Like a Hurricane- Mattias Jabs & Rudolph Schenker

Dang there's just too many....

BigMeatballDave
07-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Alex Lifeson - Red Barchetta

Chiefspants
07-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Pretty much this.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yQps1QFVZME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>