PDA

View Full Version : Cubs going after A-Rod

Anyong Bluth
10-17-2006, 12:10 AM
just heard it on ESPN...knew some were on here talking about Roy-els going after him,or at least wishing.

ChiefsCountry
10-17-2006, 12:13 AM
ESPN must be reading the Planet.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=149539

Anyong Bluth
10-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Stuart scott does all the time... his lazy eye can wander over to the computer screen and read it even while he does sportscenter

HemiEd
10-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Stuart scott does all the time... his lazy eye can wander over to the computer screen and read it even while he does sportscenter

ROFL

Demonpenz
10-17-2006, 12:39 AM
i wouldn't mind arod as long as he doesn't demand scott etherton type money

Anyong Bluth
10-17-2006, 12:40 AM
I believe its already known that the Yanks are going to have to agree to eat part of his salary b/c no one will trade for him otherwise and give up any talent.

noa
10-17-2006, 12:45 AM
If they Yankees are going to trade away A-Rod, they had better get some solid pitching. If they don't get a solid starting pitcher, they are just going to look like they ran this guy out of town because they are impatient idiots. For Chirst's sake, the guy hit .290 with 120 RBI and 35 HR. Sure he gets paid to do better than that and sure he doesn't come through in the clutch, but you're the Yankees. If you can't compensate for the few shortcomings ARod has, its your own damn fault.

ChiefsCountry
10-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Cubs make the most sense, I am sure the Yanks wouldnt mind taking either Wood or Prior.

Anyong Bluth
10-17-2006, 12:48 AM
I just think Jeter is a bitch for throwing him under the bus and not coming to his defense w/ all the booing.. the d-bag defended Giambi after the roid situation... sounds like some one else has an ego as frail as Mariah Carey besides A-Rod....

Beltran "struggled" for a while w/ the mets... dude is still a 5 tool player... F the yanks... what other team would be doing this other than an all star collector's team

noa
10-17-2006, 12:50 AM
I just think Jeter is a bitch for throwing him under the bus and not coming to his defense w/ all the booing.. the d-bag defended Giambi after the roid situation... sounds like some one else has an ego as frail as Mariah Carey besides A-Rod....

And Giambi talked sh*t on him to Sports Illustrated before the playoffs. It doesn't make any sense why they didn't want to display confidence in the guy. Even if they weren't confident, you shouldn't let your opponents, the press, or A-Rod himself know that.

Frazod
10-17-2006, 12:57 AM
ROFL

Pay-Rod a Cub. Never have an organization and a player deserved each other more - the world's greatest choke artist and the team that made choking an art form. A couple of years of that might actually make Pinella's head explode like the guy in Scanners. Like his inevitable meltdown won't be fun enough as is.

As for Wood and Pryor, they are glass vaginas who have cursed an already cursed franchise. They can both go sit on the Yankmees DL as far as I'm concerned, but I don't think Cashman is stupid enough to go after either one of them (could be wrong, though).

Of course, if he isn't, hopefully the Cubs will commit to those turds for another couple of years. Go Cubbies! :D

tk13
10-17-2006, 01:00 AM
I don't know if they can keep A-Rod.... the New York fans are probably going to make it a total nightmare next year if he's a Yankee. I'd almost like to see them keep him just for the meltdown and drama. Every time he doesn't hit a homer they're gonna boo him.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2006, 01:21 AM
The Cubs won't get A-Rod unless they give up Ramirez and Zambrano. Wood and Prior have no trade value right now.

The unemployment line is littered with guys who have electric stuff but blow their shoulder out after 5 innings every year.

The Bad Guy
10-17-2006, 01:49 AM
The Cubs won't get A-Rod unless they give up Ramirez and Zambrano. Wood and Prior have no trade value right now.

The unemployment line is littered with guys who have electric stuff but blow their shoulder out after 5 innings every year.

With Wood being a FA, I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that the Cubs trade Zambrano for A-Rod.

Ramirez is also a free agent so he has no value either.

The Cubs would be out of their mind to trade Zambrano for A-Rod unless Zam's back is chronic.

I know the Cubs will really try to get him, but the last person I would trade is a young ace for a 31-year old position player.

I know A-Rod likely will shine again, but pitching will always be worth more than hitting.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2006, 01:51 AM
I agree, but the Cubs are catastrophically stupid. Don't rule out a sign and trade.

The Bad Guy
10-17-2006, 01:59 AM
I agree, but the Cubs are catastrophically stupid. Don't rule out a sign and trade.

What good is a sign and trade in baseball?

If they have no intention of keeping Aramas, why not just get the draft pick and let him go to another team?

The only logic behind a sign and trade is in the NBA where you have caps and trades must work out financially.

SBK
10-17-2006, 02:04 AM
Ramirez has an option for like $17,000,000 this year. I don't think that A Rod is owed all that much more than that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2006, 02:04 AM
What good is a sign and trade in baseball?

If they have no intention of keeping Aramas, why not just get the draft pick and let him go to another team?

The only logic behind a sign and trade is in the NBA where you have caps and trades must work out financially.

The Cubs can sign Ramirez (knowing they can overpay) knowing they can then deal him and other parts for A-Rod.

If they don't resign him, they have to give up their only viable young arm.

It's the smartest possible baseball move (re-signing something valuable knowing you won't have to pay for it) that you could do while making a dumb transaction (trading for A-Rod)

The draft pick they would get in compensation isn't going to be the caliber of player of A-Rod, nor the caliber of choke artist.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Ramirez has an option for like $17,000,000 this year. I don't think that A Rod is owed all that much more than that.

The Yankees pay 16 mil of his salary, IIRC.

NJ Chief Fan
10-17-2006, 02:58 AM
I don't know if they can keep A-Rod.... the New York fans are probably going to make it a total nightmare next year if he's a Yankee. I'd almost like to see them keep him just for the meltdown and drama. Every time he doesn't hit a homer they're gonna boo him.

i boo him even if he does hit a HR, i cant stand the guy! never wanted him on the yankees and never will. i dont care how many HRs he hits or what his BA is, all that matters to us yankee fans is how well you perform vs boston and how well you do in the playoffs and he hasnt done shit for us against boston or in the playoffs. the only thing that i remember him doing against boston in the playoffs when he slapped the ball out of the pitchers hand, that my friends is a piece of shit!!!

Ultra Peanut
10-17-2006, 06:39 AM
Cubs make the most sense, I am sure the Yanks wouldnt mind taking either Wood or Prior.Hahahahaha. That would be the best trade ever.

"You guys want who? KERRY WO--ahem, Kerry Wood? Wellllllllllll, I don't know if we can manage that..."
"Okay, how about if we throw in--"
"DEAL."

I'll miss you, A-Ram. :sulk:

Kraut
10-17-2006, 06:54 AM
As a Yankee fan I feel NY fans were out of line when dealing with ARod. He put up numbers, bottom line. Yeah he did tend to drop off come playoff time but he is still a huge bat in the lineup. But I do feel the Yankees need pitching right now more then bats. The Yankees have the ability to suck up part of his big paycheck and get some great pitching in return. Time will tell.

The Bad Guy
10-17-2006, 07:01 AM
As a Yankee fan I feel NY fans were out of line when dealing with ARod. He put up numbers, bottom line. Yeah he did tend to drop off come playoff time but he is still a huge bat in the lineup. But I do feel the Yankees need pitching right now more then bats. The Yankees have the ability to suck up part of his big paycheck and get some great pitching in return. Time will tell.

A-Rod could bat 235 with 15 HRs and 60 RBI and the Yankees would still make the playoffs.

He put up numbers when it didn't matter.

How many runners has he stranded in the post season? He had 4 hits since that playoff collapse to Boston.

If he was such a huge bat, Torre wouldn't have bat him 8th in the biggest game of the year for the Yankees.

No one is giving up great pitching for Alex Rodriguez. Yankee fans can dream about that all they want, but the Yankees aren't the ones holding the cards here. Everyone knows he can't continue to play in NY. The fans will terrorize him next year for his playoff failures. He makes a ton of money and is 31-years old.

His defense is nowhere near what it used to be when the Yankees first got him.

Teams will lineup to trade for him, no doubt. But no one is parting iwth a true front line ace to get him anymore. Mark Buherle isn't a front line ace anymore.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2006, 07:04 AM
Mark Buerhle, just like the rest of the white sox' rotation had a career year in '05, but like the Bad Guy said, he is nowhere near an ace. They just managed to roll five straight 7's when it came to SP that year.

The Bad Guy
10-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Mark Buerhle, just like the rest of the white sox' rotation had a career year in '05, but like the Bad Guy said, he is nowhere near an ace. They just managed to roll five straight 7's when it came to SP that year.

Exactly. Buherle never really had impressive stuff. He won with a lot of junk. The league finally caught onto that junk last year.

I read today that Brandon McCarty and Joe Crede might be offered for A-Rod. That's the best offer they are going to get. Two young potential future studs for an aging headcase.

My brother is a huge spank fan and he's adament that they are getting Carlos Zambrano for him.

The only possible way I could see them getting Zam would be if the Yankees ate about 95% of his contract.

Kraut
10-17-2006, 07:09 AM
A-Rod could bat 235 with 15 HRs and 60 RBI and the Yankees would still make the playoffs.

He put up numbers when it didn't matter.

How many runners has he stranded in the post season? He had 4 hits since that playoff collapse to Boston.

If he was such a huge bat, Torre wouldn't have bat him 8th in the biggest game of the year for the Yankees.

No one is giving up great pitching for Alex Rodriguez. Yankee fans can dream about that all they want, but the Yankees aren't the ones holding the cards here. Everyone knows he can't continue to play in NY. The fans will terrorize him next year for his playoff failures. He makes a ton of money and is 31-years old.

His defense is nowhere near what it used to be when the Yankees first got him.

Teams will lineup to trade for him, no doubt. But no one is parting iwth a true front line ace to get him anymore. Mark Buherle isn't a front line ace anymore.I did admit that his bat gets quiet in the playoffs. IMO there will be a team out there that will give up what the Yankees want. There always is a team that will sell their soul for a player like him. Like you said he is only 31 and still has quite a few years left in him.

Bill Parcells
10-17-2006, 07:10 AM
ARod is booed all the time because he cant even make productive outs when needed.nobody is asking him to hit a home run at every at bat...I am talking about a fly ball or a ground out to the opposite field.he is a strikeout machine.the guy is a situational idiot..smart ballplayers are few and far between these days..

He has to go..it will never work out..the Yankees must get whatever they can for him..he is damaged goods right now..

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Exactly. Buherle never really had impressive stuff. He won with a lot of junk. The league finally caught onto that junk last year.

I read today that Brandon McCarty and Joe Crede might be offered for A-Rod. That's the best offer they are going to get. Two young potential future studs for an aging headcase.

My brother is a huge spank fan and he's adament that they are getting Carlos Zambrano for him.

The only possible way I could see them getting Zam would be if the Yankees ate about 95% of his contract.

That's a pretty good deal for A-Rod, all things considered. Don't the White Sox have a blue chip 3B prospect in their high minor league system that Crede has been keeping down??

The Bad Guy
10-17-2006, 07:12 AM
I did admit that his bat gets quiet in the playoffs. IMO there will be a team out there that will give up what the Yankees want. There always is a team that will sell their soul for a player like him. Like you said he is only 31 and still has quite a few years left in him.

No team in baseball is dealing an a young ace for him.

If the Yankees demands are a young, top of the rotation starter, they aren't getting what they want.

The Bad Guy
10-17-2006, 07:14 AM
ARod is booed all the time because he cant even make productive outs when needed.nobody is asking him to hit a home run at every at bat...I am talking about a fly ball or a ground out to the opposite field.he is a strikeout machine.the guy is a situational idiot..smart ballplayers are few and far between these days..

He has to go..it will never work out..the Yankees must get whatever they can for him..he is damaged goods right now..

Exactly.

I watched him take more third call strikes than anyone I can even remember.

He is an all or nothing guy. He doesn't do little things to help a team.

Kraut
10-17-2006, 07:16 AM
No team in baseball is dealing an a young ace for him.

If the Yankees demands are a young, top of the rotation starter, they aren't getting what they want.
They won't go after guys like the Tigers have in their rotation. They dont need to. They never look long term because they don't have to. They can spend for the short term. They will go after a guy who can give them maybe a few years as a solid starter. Somebody that can give them a good solid 6 innings a start. If their hitting lineup is in order then that is all they will need. Is this the best way to go? I don't think so but this is what they will do. And on paper this is what will work. IMO they need to build their team through the farm system like they did in the past.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Exactly.

I watched him take more third call strikes than anyone I can even remember.

He is an all or nothing guy. He doesn't do little things to help a team.

Yup, because if he guesses wrong on a pitch he won't do what most truly great hitters do and foul it off or go with it to the opposite field. He seems to have no concept of battling or expanding the strike zone and shortening his swing when need be.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2006, 07:20 AM
They won't go after guys like the Tigers have in their rotation. They dont need to. They never look long term because they don't have to. They can spend for the short term. They will go after a guy who can give them maybe a few years as a solid starter. Somebody that can give them a good solid 6 innings a start. If their hitting lineup is in order then that is all they will need.

And they will lose, and we all know that, because Steinbrenner has the baseball IQ of Corky. I can't really say that I blame Cashman all that much for their struggles (although I think he's at best a mediocre GM), because George doesn't know what it's like to have to grow a business. He just inherits or buys it and throws money at problems.

Bill Parcells
10-17-2006, 07:23 AM
And they will lose, and we all know that, because Steinbrenner has the baseball IQ of Corky. I can't really say that I blame Cashman all that much for their struggles (although I think he's at best a mediocre GM), because George doesn't know what it's like to have to grow a business. He just inherits or buys it and throws money at problems.
George needs to kick the bucket or get suspended again for the Yankees to return to the top..the more he gets involved..the bigger joke they become...

They need stick michael to take over again..

Kraut
10-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Then how do you account for all the titles that Corky won in the 90's?

jspchief
10-17-2006, 07:29 AM
Yup, because if he guesses wrong on a pitch he won't do what most truly great hitters do and foul it off or go with it to the opposite field. He seems to have no concept of battling or expanding the strike zone and shortening his swing when need be.A few Yankees players came out and said they think he just guesses when batting.

I think Chicago is potentially a good environment for him. Those fans need a hero with a bat, so they'll embrace him. Whether or not that fixes his problems... who knows?

The Bad Guy
10-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Then how do you account for all the titles that Corky won in the 90's?

Because he stayed out of the baseball operations.

He let his GM go out and get role players. Scott Brosious, Chad Curtis, Paul O'Neill, Luis Sojo.

He went out and got guys that played baseball the right way.

Kraut
10-17-2006, 07:33 AM
George never stays out of baseball operations. He always has the last say. I just feel he has changed his outlook but has always been the man in the front office. That new outlook isn't the best one now but he is not going anywhere any time soon.

Coach
10-17-2006, 07:48 AM
Well, with the Cubs supposely raising their payroll up to 115 million, that's probably possible.

I'm sure the Cubs are going to try to keep Aramis. I would be surprised if Aramis walks, but that can depend how much he is asking.

Wood is not a FA yet, but will be. The Cubs would be very foolish to pick up that 13 million option for an oft-injured pitcher. One way the Cubs could do is sign him to a 1 year base salary as a reliever (closer) becuase Wood's starting days are over.

The Cubs would be foolish to let Zambrano go.

I wonder if the hiring of Pinella for the Cubs can make A-Rod opt out of his no-trade clause, and go to Chicago?

Ultra Peanut
10-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Because he stayed out of the baseball operations.

He let his GM go out and get role players. Scott Brosious, Chad Curtis, Paul O'Neill, Luis Sojo.

He went out and got guys that played baseball the right way.From FireJoeMorgan:

2006 Yankees (not built for postseason, good hitters clogging up the end of the lineup, relying too much on three-run homers): 210 home runs

1998 Yankees (hit-and-running, stealing at every opportunity, taking extra bases, bunting): 207 home runsCall me crazy, but I think the problem may have been their pitching.