PDA

View Full Version : Q & A Herm Edwards 10/17

Crashride
10-17-2006, 06:05 PM
HERM EDWARDS: “We’re going to make Kris Wilson our fullback (Ronnie Cruz lost to the season with a knee injury). At this point, he’s been the backup fullback – sort of the ‘slash’ position.

“When you look at San Diego they’re very physical on defense, have a very good active front seven. They can rush you with four guys; they don’t really have to blitz a lot. They’ve got some very high picks there in Merriman, Castillo, Phillips, Williams. They have 21 sacks and 17 of those are by those four players. So, they can bring pressure.

“They don’t give up a lot of points – I think 55 points so far or about 11 points a game. They’re averaging about 30 points a game on offense.

“On offense their quarterback is playing very, very well. He’s doing a great job of managing the game. When you talk about managing the game, their possession average is almost 35 minutes. So, they’re running the ball – for about 150-some-yards a game. They’re starting to throw a little more. (Rivers) only turned the ball over twice. Tomlinson is the big runner for them, but he’s also a big pass-catcher out of the backfield. He’s their leading rusher and receiver. There’s Parker and Gates, too.

“It’s been an offense I’ve seen the last couple of years. I actually played them a lot when I was in New York. They’re a young team and are playing with a lot of confidence.

“We’re going to have to play a whole lot better. We have to make this a competitive game early. We can’t get behind on these guys either, because when you do, that they kind of suffocate you with their defense. Like I said, they can rush with four guys and when you can do that and drop the rest of your guys in coverage you’re not going to make a lot of big plays on them. With that in mind, we’ll have our work cut out for us.”

Q: How comfortable are you with Kris Wilson at fullback?

EDWARDS: “Comfortable in that we had him doing it in the spring and some in training camp. He’s the next guy at this point. He knows the offense; he knows what to do. That’s more of it: he knows what to do. He can help us.

“He’s kind of a ‘tweener, a move-tight end kind of fullback – the old Washington Redskins kind of guy. They used to call him an ‘H-back.’ He’s of that mold.”

Q: Will moving Kris to fullback change what you do?

EDWARDS: “A little bit, but we’re going to have to do things a little bit different anyway because of how they play. He’s going to be a bigger part now and it’ll give him an ability to be on the field more.”

Q: If Turley can practice this week will he start?

EDWARDS: “Well, we’ll see. All of a sudden we’ve been pretty consistent with our (offensive linemen) and we’ll see where he’s at as far as how he’s come along. We also don’t want to disrupt anything offensively. Our tackles have kind of played together with our guards the last couple of weeks so we’ll see where it’s at.”

Q: Is your offense becoming too predictable?

EDWARDS: “In what way?”

Q: Predictable in that teams know what you’re going to do.

EDWARDS: “If you’re saying we’re just running the ball that’s not very accurate because in the last two games we actually passed the ball more than we ran. We threw 39 passes last week and only ran the ball 19 times. The week before it was 38 passes and only 20 runs. So, really, we’re passing the ball more than running. But that’s because we’re behind, too. I understand that.

“When you’re behind everyone’s predictable. You have to pass; you really can’t run the ball. That’s what we’ve had the last two weeks. We’ve been behind early. Our problem is - and what I see right now - is that early in games we weren’t very consistent driving the ball. We were three plays and out. Now, we might be predictable that way. It’s three plays and they punt. They go three plays and they punt. Now, that’s never any good because you take no time off the clock and you never rest your defense. Then it’s hard for the play-caller to get in a rhythm to call plays. When you’re a play-caller you want seven, eight or nine-play drives to get into rhythm. You never get in rhythm and you’re always grabbing at something. That’s been our problem.

“We’ve played two pretty good defenses. Arizona is a pretty good defense and people saw that last night (vs. Chicago), especially at home. We went to Pittsburgh and they’re pretty good and this week they’re a pretty good defense.

“We’ve got to be better on first down and make more positive yards on first down. That’s kind of been our Achilles heel, in my estimation. We haven’t made enough yards on first down. It leaves you in second-and-long and then if you don’t make a lot there they’ve got us and you’re in third-and-seven and that’s never good.”

Q: Coach, have you been able to put your finger on why the defense has started sluggishly the last two weeks?

EDWARDS: “Big plays. Big plays. Arizona did the same thing. They hit on a big pass play on third down. We were in a zone dog and they hit us. Then they got a fumble and it was a short field. This game was big plays, third down. We fall down, guy runs and makes a big catch. They get the ball again on a short field, make another big pass play. So, big plays have gotten us the last two weeks.

“In Arizona, we got settled down. We never got settled down in the Pittsburgh game. We can’t allow that to happen.”

Q: Do you worry about that with the playmakers the Chargers have?

EDWARDS: “Yeah, they’ve got some playmakers in number 21 (Tomlinson) in the backfield and some good receivers and the tight end. You don’t want to get them going or you’re playing from behind again and we don’t want to play from behind. We really don’t. That’s not a good sign for us offensively, for anybody playing a really good defense. You don’t want to be down a couple of scores all of a sudden early in the football game. One score is fine but you don’t want to be down two or three scores.”

Q: Can you put your finger on two or three things you learned in your time working for Marty Schottenheimer?

EDWARDS: “Very, very detailed and organized. A good organizer. I think the thing I learned most from Marty – and I came (to Kansas City) the first time as a minority intern for almost three weeks – was that he had his philosophy on how he was going to coach football, how he was going to run practice, the type of players he wanted and he never let anyone distract him from doing that.

“He had conviction and that’s the one thing I learned from him right away: that if you’re going to be a head coach in this league there’s going to be some storms and some nay-sayers about how you’re trying to do things, but this is the way I’m going to do it. I’m gong to build my program this way, and it was his program, no doubt about it. It’s my program, they hired me as the head coach, I’m going to do it this way because this is why they hired me. There’s going to be some setbacks at times and it might not always look good. The first year they may have won only seven games, I think, or something like that. Then the next year they got going and he built the program. I always remember that.

“I always remember that everyone was saying you should do this or you shouldn’t do that. At that time it was “Martyball” and why are you running the ball and playing defense and everybody was mad. And he kept going to the playoffs and everybody was still mad ‘cause now he couldn’t win a playoff game. But before that there were no people at the stadium. There was something like 30,000 fans who had season tickets. It was Martyball and it was, ‘oh, this is so boring, and we don’t want this.’ And all he did was win and kept going to the playoffs. I remember that vividly.

“I remember it very vividly that we’re going to do it this way. Sometimes it takes certain people a little longer to understand that this is the way we’re going to do it. He’s got a little German in him, so I know he’s stubborn. I knew that and it’s kind of interesting, ‘cause I’ve got a little German in me, too. So, maybe I’m stubborn that way, too.”

Q: When you hear the term, “Martyball,” do you take pride in playing that kind of game?

EDWARDS: “I think it’s a good way to play. Sometimes you have to play to the character of your football team and what you have. He’s won over a 100 and some games in this league. He’s done it the way he sees fit.

“There’s nothing wrong in playing that way. It’s very disciplined football and you’re going to be physical, you’re going to have a good defense, you can run the ball and you’re not going to beat yourself with penalties. Maybe that was that era where he played but I kind of played in that era, too. I just think it’s a good way to play, a sound way to play and it’s the way you like to play because you know at the end you’ve got a tough football team.

“That team we played last week (Pittsburgh) kind of plays that way, too. They’re pretty good. I just think it’s a mindset and you know it takes time to do that. It doesn’t come overnight, or come in five weeks. There’s a reason why Marty was here all these years. He built this program. There’s a reason that Bill Cowher’s in Pittsburgh. He built that program. They let him build it and he was in two good organizations that obviously let him build his program and trusted that he would do it the right way. When they do it, they generally win. They’re going to have some ups and downs.

“I think what happens as fans is you get used to seeing your team play a certain way and then when it doesn’t win the Super Bowl right away, or you go to the playoffs and you lose, then people say, ‘you’ve got to change it. Go change it.’”

Q: Do you think Marty’s playoff record has detracted in people’s minds how effective he is as a coach?

EDWARDS: “I think it detracts in the minds of certain people, but I don’t think it detracts from coaches who coach against him and the people who are involved in football. They know he’s a heck of a football coach. I’ve learned a lot from Marty Schottenheimer and there’s no doubt about it. I was fortunate to be around him and was fortunate the guy hired me. I respect him and think he’s one of the better coaches in the National Football League. His record shows that. Yeah, he lost playoff games. They were saying that when we beat him (with the Jets) in the playoffs. I said, hey, we were fortunate to beat him and he’s got another good football team now.”

Q: Why is Larry Johnson not having the same success this year as he had last year?

EDWARDS: “Your passing game obviously helps your running game. Early when we lost Trent people play us a little bit differently right now in the fact that it puts a lot of pressure on Damon (Huard) and puts a lot of pressure, puts a lot of pressure on us to throw passes to get them off you. If you’re not consistent it’s tough. The last two weeks we’ve been behind and Larry’s not a big factor in the game running the ball. He becomes a bigger factor in the game when we become balanced. But people are going to come and play us right now saying that we’ve got to stop Larry Johnson. That’s what you do when you have a good running back. When you play the San Diego Chargers who are you going to stop? LaDanian Tomlinson, that’s what you do when you’ve got a good running back. Now, LaDanian Tomlinson hasn’t run for a bunch of 100-yards yet in games. But he’s caught the ball, run the ball and the team is scoring 30 points a game. They’re winning. So, Larry has the same kind of bull’s eye on his chest right now because of the fact that he had a phenomenal year last year. It’s very hard to repeat that.

“Shawn Alexander had a phenomenal year and before that he wasn’t rolling. It’s tough because defensive coaches know what they’re going to do. What are you going to do? You try to stop the run. You stack the deck.”

Q: How much of it is personnel, too, with Willie Roaf not there and Tony Richardson?

EDWARDS: “I don’t worry about that. We’ve got 11 players. They’ve got to play good. When you do that you start making excuses and I don’t do that. You coach the players that you have and you put them in positions where they can be successful. That’s how you’ve got to play. Now, sometimes you’ve got to play different. That’s OK, you still have to find a way to win.”

Q: Because he has a bull’s eye on his back do you sense he’s a little indecisive because they’re throwing everything at him?

EDWARDS: “I think it’s a little frustrating for him because we haven’t got off running it real well so far. But there’s a lot of season left. It’s tough. We’ve played some pretty good defenses, too. That’s a bit of a problem, too, when you look at some of the defenses we’ve played. Some are better than others. They’re going to stop the run. That’s what you do when you’re a good defense. You try and stop the runner and then get a lead and make people pass.”

Q: Getting back to what you said about Marty, is that what you want people to know you’re doing here, that it’s your program here, and you want it done a certain way?

EDWARDS: “Oh yeah, it’s no different than when I went to New York. I was going to do it a certain way and I didn’t bat an eye there and I’m not going to bat an eye here, believe me. That’s what you have to do.

“That’s why they hired me, to be quite honest. They hired me to come here and be who I am. If not, then they wouldn’t have me here. That’s what I’m gonna do and there’s going to be some ups and downs and you know it. But the thing you can’t do is you can’t get distracted by everyone telling you how to run your program. There’s only 32 head coaches and my name’s on the door and I’ve got to make sure that I do it the way I want to do it because, if not, then it becomes who’s coach of th(is) week?

“I believe in certain things. I don’t get talked out of it. I don’t get persuaded. Some people can say, ‘he doesn’t know what he’s doing.’ That’s fine. That’s easy to say. I’m willing to take a stand and when you’re willing to take a stand people will have opinions about you. That’s OK, ‘cause I’m gonna to do it the way I see fit. The players understand that, this organization understands that, and I feel comfortable with that.

“When you lose the game everyone knows your job better than you. They talk about it all week. They tell you, ‘hey, you should have done that, coach.’ When you win, some of them still get mad and say, ‘why did you run that play?’ That’s why this game is so great, because the fans are involved and you’ve got people always with opinions saying what you should do or you shouldn’t do. It’s different than it was 20 years ago ‘cause there are more people with microphones, and talk shows and everyone has a voice. But the final voice is the head coach. He has to coach his football team. You can’t coach everyone else. I have to coach the guys who come in this room tomorrow, and the coaches, and they have to know this is where we’re going and this is how we’re going to go do it.”

Q: What are they saying you should have done this past week?

EDWARDS: “I have no idea. I don’t listen to it or read it.”

Q: How do you hear about it?

EDWARDS: “When you pass by a TV you hear a guy talking and that’s what we do. That’s our society. That’s what makes it so great because everyone gets involved in it. With football you hear more because no matter what city you’re in whatever your team does that week the whole city feels it. If you win they’re all fired up, but if you lose, it’s like we’re miserable. But then as the week goes on the game’s over with and Tuesday and Wednesday roll on and you feel better and you play another game on Sunday. And you only play 16 of them; it’s not like you have two of them every week. You have to wait a whole week.

“But you gotta understand you’ve got to get your team to focus and every week you gotta get better. Last week we took a step backwards. We flat didn’t play good on either side of the ball. We didn’t coach good; we didn’t play good. OK, now what? We’ve got to play San Diego and we’ve got play better.”

Q: Has there ever been a time as a head coach when you became aware of something somebody said – a criticism – and you thought maybe that’s not a bad idea?

EDWARDS: “Yeah.”

Q: And what happened?

EDWARDS: “I just kiss her and say, ‘honey, go back to sleep.’ (laughs) You don’t want to see my wife after a loss.”

Q: Do you ever get the impression you might be just be as happy as coach of a small college with one beat writer, one radio guy showing up once a week and all you’ve got to do is work with your players?

EDWARDS: “I’m just happy coaching. I’m just happy that I’ve been in the National Football League for 27 years and I understand it’s a privilege whether coaching or playing. You’re talking about a young kid coming out of Seaside, California who had aspirations to play pro football – first of all, just trying to get out of Seaside and go to college.

“In my lifetime, I’ve never really had a real job. I’ve been in football all my life. It’s all I know. Hopefully, I’m going to win a championship. I’ve played in one Suepr Bowl all these years and when my career is over in this league I hope I made a difference in this league and in players’ lives. It’s provided for me and my family and it’s all I’ve ever wanted. I take games for what they are. You play the games and try to win them every time you play. If you don’t, you put a smile on your face and go back to work.

“Most coaching records are not on the winning side of it. You have years when you play real good and you don’t play real good. That’s the journey you take and you have to be strong to take the criticism.”

Q: Do you feel you’ve taken more criticism here?

EDWARDS: “I don’t know ‘cause I don’t look into it.”

Q: Do you sense your offense is frustrated because of the way they’re being asked to play?

EDWARDS: “We’re all frustrated because of the way we played last week. Prior to that, we played halfway decent. We didn’t play well and I can’t worry about why because I’ve got to worry about San Diego. You never know why.

“We’ve got to play better and I anticipate we’ll play better. We have no choice. It’s a division game. We know it.”

Q: You said the only saving grace last Sunday is it’s only one game, but do you have a reference point where you got beat that badly before and if there might be a carry-over from being shell-shocked?

EDWARDS: “You get beat up some, lose some games, and then you’re on the other side of it, too. When I’ve been on the other side of it – and we’ve been on that side against the 49ers here – I just shake my head and feel bad for the other team because you know you got on a roll and there’s nothing they can do. I sensed that when we played the 49ers and that’s what I told their coach, that it was our day today.

“I remember (with the Jets) playing Tony (Dungy) in the playoffs against Indianapolis and we beat them 41-0. A playoff game. He looked at me and I looked at him. We did everything right and they couldn’t do anything right. You get into those games. That was a playoff game. You wouldn’t expect that in a playoff. No one did. The Indianapolis Colts? But it’s 41-0. But you’ve got to let it go and go on to next week.”

Q: Did you feel your team was mentally prepared for last week’s game?

EDWARDS: “I thought this: emotionally these guys were going to come out and we had to emotionally withstand that early and we didn’t. I think we thought, you know what, we’ll make a play or two. But we never made a play to get us going and they just took it over and ran with it. That’s how the game turned out.

“You can kind of see it coming and you know you’ve got to slow this thing down. At halftime it’s 31-0 and what do you tell your football team? What does the chalkboard say? You don’t need to worry about the play. You know what you need to do? You’d better play the second half or you might get hurt. To this football team’s credit, they played the second half.

“Now the score might not indicate that, but I know they didn’t score 31 the second half. They got a touchdown and scored on an interception. We scored a touchdown. That’s what I wanted to see. I said we might not win this game but I said you can not continue to play this way. They’ll set a scoring record. That ain’t happening. Would we have felt better if we had scored 21 and it had been 21 to 31? Yeah, but they still took us behind the wood shed.”

Q: So you saw a little lack of focus at the beginning of the game?

EDWARDS: “They hit us and we didn’t react. I told them that this was not Arizona. When Arizona went up in their minds we said we’re going to be all right. We got the momentum stopped and we went out offensively and scored some points and made 17-10 at the half.

“This one we never did that. Our offense could never bale us out. Defensively, we were not very good early. The offense never did anything to even stay on the field to slow their offense down. Sometimes if the defense can’t slow them down, then the offense has to make some plays and take some time off the clock to not let their offense stay in rhythm.”

BigChiefFan
10-17-2006, 06:08 PM
EDWARDS: “Well, we’ll see. All of a sudden we’ve been pretty consistent with our (offensive linemen) and we’ll see where he’s at as far as how he’s come along. We also don’t want to disrupt anything offensively. Our tackles have kind of played together with our guards the last couple of weeks so we’ll see where it’s at.”

Can you say denial? Jeez.

TinyEvel
10-17-2006, 07:01 PM
EDWARDS: “Well, we’ll see. All of a sudden we’ve been pretty consistent with our (offensive linemen)

Yeah, that statement stuck out to me, too. Consistently bad.

But at this point I'm not sure if Turley's going to be much of an improvement. Maybe that's what he means.

CoMoChief
10-17-2006, 07:07 PM
KK was going nuts over this PC earlier today. I usually don't listen to him because he's a dumbass, but he was actually kind of funny and true at least this time.

MichaelH
10-17-2006, 07:24 PM
It's just like a DV PC all over again. Only different.

oldandslow
10-17-2006, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=BigChiefFan]EDWARDS: “Well, we’ll see. All of a sudden we’ve been pretty consistent with our (offensive linemen) and we’ll see where he’s at as far as how he’s come along. We also don’t want to disrupt anything offensively. Our tackles have kind of played together with our guards the last couple of weeks so we’ll see where it’s at.”

Good God. Sometimes it is really hard to be a Chiefs fan.

TRR
10-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Edwards mentioned that Trent Green is still in the same status as last week. What status is that? Is he throwing, taking any reps? Running?

Haven't heard much on the Trnet Green injury front lately...

SBK
10-17-2006, 07:54 PM
He didn't say the line has been good, he said they've been consistant.

Every person on this board will agree with that. They've been very consistant, consistantly bad.

blueballs
10-17-2006, 07:56 PM
draw attention away from the players Herm
that's your job at this week's Q & A

Scaga
10-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Edwards mentioned that Trent Green is still in the same status as last week. What status is that? Is he throwing, taking any reps? Running?

Haven't heard much on the Trnet Green injury front lately...

Who is this "Trent Green" you speak of?
Name sounds familiar... :hmmm:

DaneMcCloud
10-17-2006, 08:09 PM
But at this point I'm not sure if Turley's going to be much of an improvement. Maybe that's what he means.

I think that's probably what he means. Let's face it - the offense hasn't exactly been a jaggernaut with Turley at left tackle. Hopefully the O-Line will become more consistent the more time they all play together. It's a long season and hopefully they'll start to mesh. Sooner rather than later.

el borracho
10-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Well, at least we will finally see if Wilson is worth a roster spot. I predict a lot of swing passes out in the flat a la Kimble Anders.

Fruit Ninja
10-17-2006, 08:46 PM
What i got outta his PC was, that we arent going to do s hit this year, its going to take time to build his "program"

I just feel like he basically threw in the towel for this year. Thats how i take it anyways.

Deberg_1990
10-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Well, at least we will finally see if Wilson is worth a roster spot. I predict a lot of swing passes out in the flat a la Kimble Anders.

Yea, he may actually be pretty good at that. Who knows? Ive actually been wondering for quite some time why we hadnt seen more of him at fullback. I remember when he was drafted that they said he could play both TE and FB

C-Mac
10-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Q: Is your offense becoming too predictable?

EDWARDS: “In what way?”

Q: Predictable in that teams know what you’re going to do.

EDWARDS: “If you’re saying we’re just running the ball that’s not very accurate because in the last two games we actually passed the ball more than we ran. We threw 39 passes last week and only ran the ball 19 times. The week before it was 38 passes and only 20 runs. So, really, we’re passing the ball more than running. But that’s because we’re behind, too. I understand that.”

NO! LIKE RUNNING ON EVERY FIRST DOWN.....EVEN WITH 8 IN THE BOX! This is so frustrating, they are passing at the wrong or most predictable times. I bet Trent is flat going bananas with the play calling.

trndobrd
10-17-2006, 08:58 PM

I could live with that.

KCChiefsFan88
10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Not a single question from the media regarding Trent Green's status?

Good Lord what a bunch of maroons

LesterLyles
10-18-2006, 09:39 AM
NO! LIKE RUNNING ON EVERY FIRST DOWN.....EVEN WITH 8 IN THE BOX! This is so frustrating, they are passing at the wrong or most predictable times. I bet Trent is flat going bananas with the play calling.

Man, I feel like this exact thread was posted on Jets board over the years 100 times.

alpha_omega
10-18-2006, 09:57 AM
“We’re going to have to play a whole lot better".

Without a doubt!!!!