PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Honor Hall of Famer Neil Smith Sunday

B2chiefsfan
10-18-2006, 06:39 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/10/16/chiefs_honor_hall_of_famer_neil_smith_sunday/

The highlight of this week’s Chiefs Hall of Fame Weekend will be the placing of former defensive end Neil Smith’s name to the façade of Arrowhead Stadium in formal ceremonies at halftime of the team’s game with the San Diego Chargers. Smith becomes the 36th member of the team’s Hall of Fame. More than 50 former Chiefs players including many previous inductees will be in attendance for the three-day event that kicks off with a brunch on Saturday followed by hospital visits to Research Medical Center. Saturday evening’s event will be an intimate gathering among teammates and Sunday’s activities start with a pre-game brunch in the owner’s Gold Suite at the stadium.
Capping off the weekend is a charitable golf outing at Oakwood Country Club to benefit Kansas City’s Medicine Cabinet.
Neil Smith was the second overall selection of the ‘88 NFL draft and went on to play in 138 regular season games with Kansas City. He ranks second in franchise history with 86.5 sacks and posted a double-digit sack tally four straight seasons from ‘92-’95. He paired with fellow Hall of Famer Derrick Thomas to form one of the most feared pass-rushing duos in NFL history and served as a cornerstone of a Chiefs squad that made six consecutive post-season appearances from ‘90-’95. In total, Smith finished his Chiefs career with 546 tackles

King_Chief_Fan
10-18-2006, 07:17 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/10/16/chiefs_honor_hall_of_famer_neil_smith_sunday/

The highlight of this week’s Chiefs Hall of Fame Weekend will be the placing of former defensive end Neil Smith’s name to the façade of Arrowhead Stadium in formal ceremonies at halftime of the team’s game with the San Diego Chargers. Smith becomes the 36th member of the team’s Hall of Fame. More than 50 former Chiefs players including many previous inductees will be in attendance for the three-day event that kicks off with a brunch on Saturday followed by hospital visits to Research Medical Center. Saturday evening’s event will be an intimate gathering among teammates and Sunday’s activities start with a pre-game brunch in the owner’s Gold Suite at the stadium.
Capping off the weekend is a charitable golf outing at Oakwood Country Club to benefit Kansas City’s Medicine Cabinet.
Neil Smith was the second overall selection of the ‘88 NFL draft and went on to play in 138 regular season games with Kansas City. He ranks second in franchise history with 86.5 sacks and posted a double-digit sack tally four straight seasons from ‘92-’95. He paired with fellow Hall of Famer Derrick Thomas to form one of the most feared pass-rushing duos in NFL history and served as a cornerstone of a Chiefs squad that made six consecutive post-season appearances from ‘90-’95. In total, Smith finished his Chiefs career with 546 tackles

When will we have Montana and Allen days?

Smith bolted to the Donks -- honor him for that

JimNasium
10-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Playing for the Broncos should immediately eliminate him from being considered for this honor.

MahiMike
10-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Neil would've stayed if he could have. They chose DT over Neil. Can't blame him for collecting a paycheck.

HemiEd
10-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Neil would've stayed if he could have. They chose DT over Neil. Can't blame him for collecting a paycheck.

Exactly

Nzoner
10-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Playing for the Broncos should immediately eliminate him from being considered for this honor.

I've always tried to look at the positive side of this,when Donk fans start running their mouths about winning it all I simply tell them they didn't win shit till a couple of ex-Chiefs got there.

hey it makes me feel better.

Ultra Peanut
10-18-2006, 08:15 AM
“You know why? I think why. This is the reason why. Because I think what New England did today, they axe-ually they just everything you could probably the reverse they tried to do all kind of trick plays.”

“Clearly, no one untouched and you’re not going to out footrace Dante Hall when he’s in first gear…or second gear.”

“Actually this guy (Troy Brown) had a perceptional year today. … I think he went 10-for-10 or 12-for12. … His completion percentage was great. I love the way he was catching the ball.”

“I’ll tell you, you cannot have Masnowski (Mike Maslowski) run with Shannon Sharpe. You just can’t do that. That’s like an offensive lineman running with a tight end. We just have to do a better job of getting those safeties to (Sharpe) and not leaving Maslowsli to run with Shannon Sharpe for 80 yards.”

“Only thing he do is he go along the line of scrimmage and no one untouched him.”

“I’ve never known Mike Shanahan to leach out at a player.”

“Derrick Thomas has a little problem being late for the airport…”

“They moved the (Broncos’) stadium over from the parking lot and that’s kinda like the mystique ground is not there no more.”

“Rob Smith does a great job of keeping both feet inbounds here after the play was resumed.”

Dartgod
10-18-2006, 08:20 AM
In honor of Neil's accomplishments and pending induction into the Chiefs' Ring of Fame, I present to you, a collection of some of Neil's finest (and most confusing) quotes. Take it away, Neil...

A classic collection of Neilbonics

Here are some of Neil Smith's convoluted comments from Channel 5 showsPosted Winter 2003Neil Smith’s comments made during his appearances on Channel 5 for their pre- and postgame shows this past season resulted in a new phenomenon here in the land of OTC that I dubbed “Neilbonics.” If Neilbonics were a Broadway show, it would be sold out for the next year. That is how popular the former Chiefs’ defensive end’s verbiage was to those who frequently read this column. Here is a heaping helping of some of Neil’s more “perceptional” quotes and my comments as they originally appeared.
•“I think Dick Vermeil said it best. This team is now jilling toward each other.”
Neil Smith, who said “jilling” not “jelling”, Channel 5
GH: The funniest new show this fall isn’t on any of the networks radar screens, it’s Channel 5’s postgame show hosted by Leif Lisec and Neil Smith. Smith has his own brand of Ebonics that is hilarious. Read on for more samples of Neilbonics. You may need to read some of these twice or more to get the true flavor of Smith’s verbal massacre of logic, fact and language.

•“Actually this guy (Troy Brown) had a perceptional year today. … I think he went 10-for-10 or 12-for12. … His completion percentage was great. I love the way he was catching the ball.”
Neil Smith, on the Patriots wide receiver, Channel 5

•“You know why? I think why. This is the reason why. Because I think what New England did today, they axe-ually they just everything you could probably the reverse they tried to do all kind of trick plays.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: These are not typos. This is how the former Cornhusker speaks. There’s more…

•“We having very, very much problems right up the center of our defense. … That’s a lot of balls that he do underthrow that he shouldn’t. … McGloski (Maslowski) picked off this ball here but McGloski, please, whatever you do, don’t let an offensive lineman catch you! … This is great coming out after halftime what Dante Hall do here. For a little guy, he’s very shifty. … ”
Neil Smith, Channel 5

•“I can’t take too much of this there no more as far as them winning these close games.”
Neil Smith, after the Chiefs lost 41-38 to the Pats, Channel 5

•“I gave the (Chiefs) offense a C.”
Neil Smith, after the offense scored 38 points at the home of the Super Bowl champs, Channel 5
GH: Neil is lucky the profs at Nebraska were much easier graders.

•“There are some changes that have to be made. I think you start on the cornerback position. You actually have to start with (Eric) Warfield. I think Warfield needs to be put down before he can really realize exactly what’s happening to him.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: Does Neil want Warfield to swim with the fishes? Neilbonics is back and as hilarious as ever. Smith teamed with his perfect straight man, Leif Lisec, on Channel 5’s postgame show to give his own special Chiefs analysis that only ‘Nawlins’ Neil can give. Read on for more.

•“This guy is just tremendously. … He’s got a lot of more football left in this season.”

Neil Smith, on Priest Holmes, Channel 5

•“I’ll tell you, you cannot have Masnowski (Mike Maslowski) run with Shannon Sharpe. You just can’t do that. That’s like an offensive lineman running with a tight end. We just have to do a better job of getting those safeties to (Sharpe) and not leaving Maslowsli to run with Shannon Sharpe for 80 yards.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: This is at least the second and third pronunciation Smith has used for Maslowski this season. Last month he had him pegged as an Irishman, McGloski.

•“Here’s what I think is going to happen. The coach, Dick Vermeil, is going to overlook everything and there will be some changes here (on the defense). I think what’s going to happen is that they are going to have to putting some players and benching them.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: Nothing I do in this column is more tedious than transcribing Neilbonics verbatim…or more rewarding.

•“They always come through because they always says what they have to mean.”
Neil Smith, on veteran players like Shannon Sharpe coming through in the clutch, Channel 5

•“Trevor Pryce uses the chop move (past John Tait). … I does that when I was playing and I think he picked it up.”
Neil Smith, while watching video of Pryce blowing past Tait to sacked Green, Channel 5

•“Rod Smith actually did have a great game but what when he did come back and redeemed himself early he dropped the football.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: If your head isn’t hurting after reading that one, call Channel 5 and ask them if they have an opening for a translator.

•“The Denver defense has been outstanding against players but they haven’t played against (Priest Holmes). This guy is inceptional because he’s got so many things he can do to hurt your defense.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: Inceptional? Isn’t that what got Marty Schottenheimer in trouble?

•“Only thing he do is he go along the line of scrimmage and no one untouched him.”
Neil Smith, on the Broncos Keith Burns blocking a Chiefs punt in overtime, Channel 5

•“To give up 113 yards you know to the Denver defense but we still lost.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: What’s great about this show is that Leif Lisec never even blinks while Smith is letting these pearls fly. He pretends that Smith is not only making sense but that he’s somehow being insightful. The heck with Everybody Loves Raymond, this show is the funniest thing on CBS.

•“I don’t know if this is Mixnutchzki or perhaps Glenn Cadrez…”
Neil Smith, attempting to identify Mike Maslowski, Channel 5
GH: Chalk up pronunciation number four for Maslowski’s surname for you Neilbonics fans out there. I think Neil should just go with calling him “the little bald dude.”

•“I think this team is on track to getting to where they want to be at. They having a slight little problem, but they have to work it out within the home of that Chiefs offense. I tell you what, if they can do that then they can get it together they can go out and win it.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: Good thing Neil’s on Channel 5 and not Kietzman’s radio show or KK would ban his Neilbonics from the air because he’s too difficult to understand.

•“In Denver, they going to use (the scoreboard) to get the Broncos fired up. They going to actually pronounce the scores (of other games) and what quarter it is so they will know today (if the Raiders and Chargers win or lose).”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: Yes, Neil’s back and in late-season form. Read on and feel free to pronounce your Neilbonics out loud.

•“Everything knows that you have to score pernts (points) in order to win the ball game. If the Chiefs can score 30 or more pernts, they can win this ball game.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5

•“I think (Trevor Pryce) was simply saying that we have what it takes in this room to get it done. But then if one thing lead to another, then when the media take something and run away from it, then the coaches have to step up and say, ‘You know, I did it.’”

Neil Smith, referring to Pryce’s controversial quote from earlier this week where he said the Broncos are the most talented team in the NFL, Channel 5
GH: Hey, I just type ‘em up. I don’t translate ‘em too. I don’t think even Neil knew what the hell he was trying to say here.

•“I’ve never known Mike Shanahan to leach out at a player.”
Neil Smith, when asked about Shanahan’s angry response to Price’s above comment, Channel 5

•“I think it does effect you when you there. I was there for two years and it took me about that long to get aptitude to it.”
Neil Smith, when asked if the altitude in Denver bothers the players, Channel 5
GH: I’ve been listening to Neil since his freshman year at Nebraska and I have yet to get aptitude to it.

•“I think both of these teams respectively give each other respect. And that’s why it’s become that real, real crucial of a rivalry. What Chiefs team’s gonna to show up is going to bow down to what’s going to happen today. They have to show up today and play some solid football. If not they will be right back where we was again flat if they don’t get this win.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: Can you imagine the conversations Neil and Gunther must have had back in the 90s? I’ll bet they had to both wear those United Nations headsets while somebody translated for them.

•“Clearly, no one untouched and you’re not going to out footrace Dante Hall when he’s in first gear…or second gear.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: I’m guessing Neil drives an automatic.

•“No one haven’t got around (Priest Holmes) yet to stop him.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5

•“Well, what it it did, is the Chiefs actually brought eight in the box. So they actually have more than they need. As you see, McNowski (Mike Maslowski) right here takes the inside charge and beats his guy to the snap.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: Ahhh, the Irish lad McNowski is back among us wee folk.

•“They moved the (Broncos’) stadium over from the parking lot and that’s kinda like the mystique ground is not there no more.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: I’m guessing whoever got stuck paying that moving bill is still hurting for cash.

•“They don’t care who you are. If you don’t be on the plane at a certain time when you supposed to, they will leave you on the dot. And you will have to find your way to Seattle to try to get a plane that day to beat us to get to the play on tomorrow.”
Neil Smith, trying to explain how much emphasis Marty Schottenheimer places on his players in regard to promptness, Channel 5
GH: I reread this quote three times and finally came to the conclusion that you best have your ass on that plane on time, because I believe the alternative actions he described may necessitate finding a time machine.

•“I think anytime you have a guy that’s been out for the second time he’s been out and he gets the second-string guy gets a second opportunity, I think this is his time to shine.”
Neil Smith, when asked how he thought Mike Cloud would fair in the San Diego game, Channel 5
GH: Feel free to adjust the punctuation any way you desire. It’s still Neilbonics to me.

•“I think the biggest responsibility is when you lose Tony Richardson. He’s pretty much the focus of the running game. I think that was a big, big hurt.”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: A few teams have actually thought that Priest Holmes was the focus of the Chiefs running game.

•“Rob Smith does a great job of keeping both feet inbounds here after the play was resumed.”
Neil Smith, reviewing video of the Chiefs loss to Denver, Channel 5
GH: When was the play stopped?

•“Derrick Thomas has a little problem being late for the airport…”
Neil Smith, Channel 5
GH: This might be the understatement of the decade.

http://www.plattecountylandmark.com/ghall.htm

chagrin
10-18-2006, 08:20 AM

Smith bolted to the Donks -- honor him for that

Hey, a single unassisted pun - good job :)

Dartgod
10-18-2006, 08:28 AM
“You know why? I think why. This is the reason why. Because I think what New England did today, they axe-ually they just everything you could probably the reverse they tried to do all kind of trick plays.”

“Clearly, no one untouched and you’re not going to out footrace Dante Hall when he’s in first gear…or second gear.”

“Actually this guy (Troy Brown) had a perceptional year today. … I think he went 10-for-10 or 12-for12. … His completion percentage was great. I love the way he was catching the ball.”

“I’ll tell you, you cannot have Masnowski (Mike Maslowski) run with Shannon Sharpe. You just can’t do that. That’s like an offensive lineman running with a tight end. We just have to do a better job of getting those safeties to (Sharpe) and not leaving Maslowsli to run with Shannon Sharpe for 80 yards.”

“Only thing he do is he go along the line of scrimmage and no one untouched him.”

“I’ve never known Mike Shanahan to leach out at a player.”

“Derrick Thomas has a little problem being late for the airport…”

“They moved the (Broncos’) stadium over from the parking lot and that’s kinda like the mystique ground is not there no more.”

“Rob Smith does a great job of keeping both feet inbounds here after the play was resumed.”

Eh, you beat me too it, but I have more quotes and comments from Greg Hall.

Anyway, great minds and all...

milkman
10-18-2006, 09:18 AM

Neither Montana or Allen belong on the Chiefs Ring of Fame.

If the Chiefs did place them there, it would destroy any credibility of that honor.

Smith's induction already stretches it.

Frazod
10-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Cool. Let's put Benedict Arnold on Rushmore while we're at it. 4321

F#cking scumbag. If I'd known about this earlier, I would NOT have attended this game. Not sure whether or not I'll boo like crazy or just go mill around the concession area.

This piece of BRONCO shit does NOT belong in the ring of fame. PERIOD.

:cuss:

Ultra Peanut
10-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Eh, you beat me too it, but I have more quotes and comments from Greg Hall.

Anyway, great minds and all...Great is really an understatement, though, isn't it?

Raiderhader
10-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Next year, Albert Lewis.

PastorMikH
10-18-2006, 09:54 AM

I agree. It isn't like we cut him and left him without a job. He was chaffed at Carl for Carl using the franchise tag on him so he jumped ship and sold out to the enemy as soon as he was finally free.

FWIW, IMO, Niel without DT would have been and average DE. He never did impress me in Denver.

PastorMikH
10-18-2006, 09:55 AM

If the Chiefs did place them there, it would destroy any credibility of that honor.

Allen wouldn't bother me too bad. Montana came in the twighlight of his career for one last go around. Marcus revived his career in KC. Allen wouldn't bother me nearly as much as Neil Smith does.

PastorMikH
10-18-2006, 09:59 AM

I don't think so. Carl chose to pay both what they were worth. Neil thought he deserved the same $ as DT. Truth be told, without Neil, DT never really missed a beat. Without DT, Neil wasn't the same. Guess Carl was right on that one.

Brock
10-18-2006, 10:02 AM
He played his ass off for the Chiefs. It isn't his fault that the Chiefs wouldn't pay him what he got from Denver. Hell yes, he most definitely deserves this.

milkman
10-18-2006, 10:10 AM
Allen wouldn't bother me too bad. Montana came in the twighlight of his career for one last go around. Marcus revived his career in KC. Allen wouldn't bother me nearly as much as Neil Smith does.

As a Chief, Allen never played to the same level that he had earlier in his career as a Raider.

Marty was, to some degree, at fault for that, but the fact remains that Marcus was less than Ring of Fame worthy.

He didn't suck, but he wasn't great either.

King_Chief_Fan
10-18-2006, 10:13 AM

exactly.....that was my point...sort of.
Neil doesn't belong in the ring

ChiTown
10-18-2006, 10:19 AM
He played his ass off for the Chiefs. It isn't his fault that the Chiefs wouldn't pay him what he got from Denver. Hell yes, he most definitely deserves this.

:clap:

I've got no problem Neil being in the Ring. The fact that the Chiefs CHOSE not to keep him around for his market value is not Neil's fault.

Frazod
10-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Collecting a paycheck my ass. If he'd went ANYWHERE else, perhaps. But he went to Denver. He was part of that cheating piece of shit '97 Donx team that handed us the most devastating loss in the history of the franchise. And he was thrilled to be a part of it.

Remember the "glad to be with the good guys" comment.

Remember the home run swing, used against us.

Remember Bucky hoisting the Lombardi that goddamn well should have been ours.

Then think of this motherf#cker in our Ring of Fame. It's an abomination.

HemiEd
10-18-2006, 10:27 AM
FWIW, IMO, Niel without DT would have been and average DE. He never did impress me in Denver.

By the time he got to Denver, his skills had started to decline. I was not happy with him going to Denver, but it does not deminish what he accomplished as a Chief to me. DT and NS were a wrecking crew that I will never forget the pleasure of watching.

Brock
10-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Then think of this motherf#cker in our Ring of Fame. It's an abomination.

It's an abomination that he wasn't kept in a Chiefs uniform.

Molitoth
10-18-2006, 10:39 AM
He ****ed up hard going to the Donks, Total sellout move imo. Shouldn't be on the ring.

Frazod
10-18-2006, 10:41 AM
I think I'll make a big sign that says BRONCO TRAITOR in blue and orange letters.

Do you think they'll let me in with it?

morphius
10-18-2006, 10:47 AM
I'll always remember him as a player who took a lot of plays off and then wanted DT type of money, and whined and pouted his way to Denver, then showboated the fact that he was there.

HemiEd
10-18-2006, 10:52 AM
It's an abomination that he wasn't kept in a Chiefs uniform.

Yes it was.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Be nice to Neil, people. He was a cornerstone in the team's rise from the Era of Great Sadness.

milkman
10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Be nice to Neil, people. He was a cornerstone in the team's rise from the Era of Great Sadness.

I'm sorry.
When exactly will that rise occur?

ChiefButthurt
10-18-2006, 11:02 AM
He should not be in the ring....he was a traitor. The moment he signed with the donks, he's out. Hell, based on what I just read, I don't think he could spell CHIEFS without some help. Thank God he didn't have to pay for the education.

ChiefButthurt
10-18-2006, 11:05 AM
I'm sorry.

Oh come on...you don't have to win a super bowl to be happy. You only need HOPE. Otherwise how would you explain all of us?

Frazod
10-18-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm sorry.

Well, now we generally get the great sadness in a big lump at the end of the season instead of all year long.

Although I think this year will be an exception. :banghead:

Basileus777
10-18-2006, 11:14 AM
Neil Smith has been dead to me from the moment he did his swing at Arrowhead for the Donks. He was a good player, but he was a traitor who left who more money. Does that make him evil? No. But it should prevent him from going to the Chiefs Hall of Fame. He made his choice and if he wants to be honored, Denver should be the one to do it.

milkman
10-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Oh come on...you don't have to win a super bowl to be happy. You only need HOPE. Otherwise how would you explain all of us?

I said when Marty was hired that he would not get the Chiefs to the SB.

I said when Gunt was hired, the he wouldn't get the Chiefs to the SB.

I said when Dick was hired, he wouldn't get the Chiefs to the SB.

I also didn't like hiring Hermie, and don't believe he will get this team to the SB.

I can't explain all of you, but I have been a Chiefs fan as long as there have been Chiefs.

My only hope is that I will be wrong.

I was wrong about Phil Mickelson and majors, so there is some hope.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm sorry.

It's a tiered process. We went from the Era of Great Sadness to the Era of Great Frustration. There's no word yet on when we'll make the move to the Era of Great Glee and Chest-Pounding.

Brock
10-18-2006, 11:18 AM
It's a tiered process. We went from the Era of Great Sadness to the Era of Great Frustration. There's no word yet on when we'll make the move to the Era of Great Glee and Chest-Pounding.

It'll be somewhere around the time you have that remodel paid for.

milkman
10-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Well, now we generally get the great sadness in a big lump at the end of the season instead of all year long.

Although I think this year will be an exception. :banghead:

If you really think about this, that's not really true.

It was true in the Martyocre years, but overall in the Carl era, we've missed the playoffs more than we've made them.

Carl has been here for 17 years, going on 18.
We've missed the playoffs in 10 of those years, with 6 of those appearences in Marty's 10 years.

gblowfish
10-18-2006, 11:22 AM
AAAAARGH!!!!!

We've had a lot of this discussion before when Neil's choice first came up:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3072689#post3072689

I am of the opinion that any Chiefs player who bolts ESPECIALLY to a hated division rival, and has been an integral part of derailing a Chiefs playoff run -as Smith did in Denver- is not worthy of induction on our HOF ring. No freakin' way.

Albert Lewis (Raiders), Rich Gannon (Raiders) and Kevin Ross (San Diego) should be excluded for the same reason. I still see visions of Smith sacking our QB IN ARROWHEAD and doing his baseball swing in a Donk Uniform in front of our fans. Sorry, but here's some lovely parting gifts. Screw you, Neilbo. Remember Horse Face telling you "Gee Neil, you play for the good guys now" and having a big laugh when you knocked KC out of the playoffs?

Let the Donks put you up on their horse trough of fame. Your ring says "DENVER" on it. Neil can kiss my lemony fresh backside.

The inclusion of Jack Steadman made the whole HOF thing a farce to me. I'll puke just as much when they put King Carl up there. You know they will someday, whether we like it or not. Hell, why not put Tony DiPardo and Bill Grigsby up there, too, or Elaine Hart for managing the Chiefs Cheerleaders all these years?

Look, I have nothing against Tony or Elaine or Grigs. They are all very nice people and loyal Chiefs fans. But the HOF ring should be meant only for special players and coaches. Not front office and NOT for guys who skipped to a division rival and stood in our way of Super Bowl success. But that's just me. I hold grudges, and Neil is a big grudge with me. I'll never forgive him for going to Denver. There's 25 other teams he could have played for outside the AFC West. I won't be standing and applauding him on Sunday. No way.

Whew....I'm off my rant now. I need some Smooth Maxwell House International Coffee to calm me down.

Brock
10-18-2006, 11:24 AM
The inclusion of Jack Steadman made the whole HOF thing a farce to me.

Yes, that kind of takes the shine off of it.

milkman
10-18-2006, 11:24 AM
AAAAARGH!!!!!

We've had a lot of this discussion before when Neil's choice first came up:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3072689#post3072689

I am of the opinion that any Chiefs player who bolts ESPECIALLY to a hated division rival, and has been an integral part of derailing a Chiefs playoff run -as Smith did in Denver- is not worthy of induction on our HOF ring. No freakin' way.

Albert Lewis (Raiders), Rich Gannon (Raiders) and Kevin Ross (San Diego) should be excluded for the same reason. I still see visions of Smith sacking our QB IN ARROWHEAD and doing his baseball swing in a Donk Uniform in front of our fans. Sorry, but here's some lovely parting gifts. Screw you, Neilbo. Remember Horse Face telling you "Gee Neil, you play for the good guys now" and having a big laugh when you knocked KC out of the playoffs?

Let the Donks put you up on their horse trough of fame. Your ring says "DENVER" on it. Neil can kiss my lemony fresh backside.

The inclusion of Jack Steadman made the whole HOF thing a farce to me. I'll puke just as much when they put King Carl up there. You know they will someday, whether we like it or not. Hell, why not put Tony DiPardo and Bill Grigsby up there, too, or Elaine Hart for managing the Chiefs Cheerleaders all these years?

Look, I have nothing against Tony or Elaine or Grigs. They are all very nice people and loyal Chiefs fans. But the HOF ring should be meant only for special players and coaches. Not front office and NOT for guys who skipped to a division rival and stood in our way of Super Bowl success. But that's just me. I hold grudges, and Neil is a big grudge with me. I'll never forgive him for going to Denver. There's 25 other teams he could have played for outside the AFC West. I won't be standing and applauding him on Sunday. No way.

Whew....I'm off my rant now. I need some Smooth Maxwell House International Coffee to calm me down.

:clap:

Count Alex's Losses
10-18-2006, 11:26 AM

I don't know about glee, but I saw Law pounding his chest against Arizona.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 11:26 AM
I said when Marty was hired that he would not get the Chiefs to the SB.

I said when Gunt was hired, the he wouldn't get the Chiefs to the SB.

I said when Dick was hired, he wouldn't get the Chiefs to the SB.

I also didn't like hiring Hermie, and don't believe he will get this team to the SB.

I blame the last 20 years on your bad attitude.

And I must ask: why did you not like Marty when he was hired? At the time, he was a very up and coming coach who had just narrowly missed a couple of Super Bowls. I think you would've been the only American who didn't want him as your coach at that point in time.

milkman
10-18-2006, 11:34 AM
I blame the last 20 years on your bad attitude.

And I must ask: why did you not like Marty when he was hired? At the time, he was a very up and coming coach who had just narrowly missed a couple of Super Bowls. I think you would've been the only American who didn't want him as your coach at that point in time.

When his Browns gave up "The Drive" to a young John Elway, I said to my wife, who was watching the game with me,

"That dumb**** played that last minute with a passive defense.
He didn't want to lose that game, and in trying to prevent a loss, he allowed the Broncos to win."

I knew then he was a play not to lose kind of coach, and I can't stand that lack of aggressiveness.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 11:37 AM
Ah. Okay.

I was glad to get him myself, but then again, look at the situation he was replacing.

Frazod
10-18-2006, 11:50 AM
If you really think about this, that's not really true.

It was true in the Martyocre years, but overall in the Carl era, we've missed the playoffs more than we've made them.

Carl has been here for 17 years, going on 18.
We've missed the playoffs in 10 of those years, with 6 of those appearences in Marty's 10 years.

Throw in the years when we've been eliminated from the playoffs during the final weekend of the regular season, and I think that would tip the balance.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 11:56 AM
It'll be somewhere around the time you have that remodel paid for.

That's not good. I'll be dead by then.

milkman
10-18-2006, 11:58 AM
Throw in the years when we've been eliminated from the playoffs during the final weekend of the regular season, and I think that would tip the balance.

I suppose it's a matter of expectation.

The only years I really felt we had a chance were '93 and '97.

'93, because I thought Montana was the one guy that could overcome the shackles of Martyocre football, and '97, because I thought even Marty couldn't **** that up.

joesomebody
10-18-2006, 12:31 PM
I can't beleive that Neil Smith is going to beat the great Warren Moon to our Ring of Fame.

I vote we get seats there and start hanging a giant Denver themed nose band-aid over his name during games.

Spott
10-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I can't beleive that Neil Smith is going to beat the great Warren Moon to our Ring of Fame.

I vote we get seats there and start hanging a giant Denver themed nose band-aid over his name during games.

I find it pretty odd that the Titans just retired Moon's jersey. Moon never played in Tennessee. They even have Earl Campbell's jersey retired.

joesomebody
10-18-2006, 01:10 PM
I find it pretty odd that the Titans just retired Moon's jersey. Moon never played in Tennessee. They even have Earl Campbell's jersey retired.Well, at least Tennessee was smart enough to change the teams name.

I can't stand team names that make no sense:

L.A. Lakers, Cement wastelands more like it
Utah Jazz WTF? Maybe Tabernacle Choir
Arizona Cardinals, Roadrunners maybe...

milkman
10-18-2006, 01:11 PM
I find it pretty odd that the Titans just retired Moon's jersey. Moon never played in Tennessee. They even have Earl Campbell's jersey retired.

Bud Adams' franchise didn't have to leave their history in Houston when he moved the team to Tennesee.

Rausch
10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
I hope he gets booed...

HemiEd
10-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Well, at least Tennessee was smart enough to change the teams name.

I can't stand team names that make no sense:

L.A. Lakers, Cement wastelands more like it
Utah Jazz WTF? Maybe Tabernacle Choir
Arizona Cardinals, Roadrunners maybe...

I was thinking about this very subject this morning. I came up with a few myself.

L.A. Gangsters, L.A. Fruits, L.A. Earthquakes
Utah Big Loves, Utah Salties, Utah Barons.
Arizona Rattlers, Arizona Cactus and the Roadrunners

KCinNY
10-18-2006, 02:05 PM
F*** Neil Smith.

Frazod
10-18-2006, 02:11 PM
I hope he gets booed...

He'll damn well get booed by me. :#

cdcox
10-18-2006, 02:14 PM
What all of Neil's supporters conveniently forget is that Carl offered him a contract in the Fall of 1996 that was far in excess of what the Broncs gave him in '97. He turned it down. Neil was never treated badly by the Chiefs.

HemiEd
10-18-2006, 02:31 PM
What all of Neil's supporters conveniently forget is that Carl offered him a contract in the Fall of 1996 that was far in excess of what the Broncs gave him in '97. He turned it down. Neil was never treated badly by the Chiefs.

Something I was not aware of, or if I was, I forgot it. For some reason, I thought he was pushed out of KC by Marty.
I may be moving over to the other side on this subject. I had forgotten about the home run thing at Arrowhead until Frazod brought it up. I was pretty pissed when he did that.

Easy 6
10-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Going to dinvr was bad enough, but to come back here and do the Homerun Swing on us in that game was a TOTAL F#CK YOU to KC fans IMO. He can suck it.

Spott
10-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Maybe next year we can put Gannon into the ring of fame, too. I hope that he gets booed loudly by 79,000 fans at halftime.