PDA

View Full Version : Just when I thought I had seen it all......this tops it...

Redrum_69
10-18-2006, 09:59 AM
The pussification of America continues........

School bans tag, other chase games

ATTLEBORO, Massachusetts (AP) -- Tag, you're out!

Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.

While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous.

Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Spokane, Washington, also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, South Carolina, school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.

"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston. "Playing tag is just part of being a kid."

Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/10/18/no.tag.ap/index.html

Ari Chi3fs
10-18-2006, 10:00 AM
you arent supposed to post shit. how dare you.

tyton75
10-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Honestly.. I can't say I blame the school's in this sue-happy world...

Judges should just throw frivolous lawsuits out of court instead of giving millions when burned by hot coffee

CosmicPal
10-18-2006, 10:06 AM
You're it.

milkman
10-18-2006, 10:09 AM

Judges should just throw frivolous lawsuits out of court instead of giving millions when burned by hot coffee

There is that, but damn, let's just put all the kids in skirts and call 'em Nancy.

This kind of shit makes me happy that I grew up in the 60's.

Dartgod
10-18-2006, 10:11 AM
You're it.
Where's my lawyer? I'm suing.

Fried Meat Ball!
10-18-2006, 10:11 AM

Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable.

Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban.

While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous.

Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Spokane, Washington, also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, South Carolina, school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.

"I think that it's unfortunate that kids' lives are micromanaged and there are social skills they'll never develop on their own," said Debbie Laferriere, who has two children at Willett, about 40 miles south of Boston. "Playing tag is just part of being a kid."

Another Willett parent, Celeste D'Elia, said her son feels safer because of the rule. "I've witnessed enough near collisions," she said.

Just like your mom banned tag... too many people were tagging out, just to get a breath since they were neck deep in cooter juice.

OK... I got nuthin'. Can you teach me, O great Redrum_69?

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Totally agree.

CosmicPal

You're still it.

Easy 6
Maybe we should make our young men pull their pants up real high so that they get the "Man Toe" look.

4th and Long
Busy chasing ambulances.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 10:14 AM

Those of you who are complaining need to re-read this paragraph. There were near collisions!

boogblaster
10-18-2006, 10:14 AM
Im not playing tag any more .. hurts my vagina....

Ari Chi3fs
10-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Is it ironic that the principals name is "Gaylene"? She probably got teased when she was a kid... poor thing.

This is ridiculous. Running is exercise, Dumbasses... they must want FAT kids.

ChiefButthurt
10-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Alright, alright...time to hijack this thread. Somebody finish this sentence....

Your mom is like my carpet.....

4th and Long
10-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Those of you who are complaining need to re-read this paragraph. There were near collisions!
At least they didn't do the FAA thing and call it a near miss. Don't you just hate that? Isn't a near miss, in reality, an actual hit?

Fried Meat Ball!
10-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Alright, alright...time to hijack this thread. Somebody finish this sentence....

... flat and full of crumbs.

Redrum_69
10-18-2006, 10:26 AM

...pink, stained, ripped, and scarred for life.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 10:28 AM

...spread out on my bedroom floor.

Rain Man
Near collisions, people. Near collisions!

JBucc
Tha'ts all we did at recess was play tag. That or play army. Or destroy ant colonies.

el borracho
10-18-2006, 10:31 AM

a dirty, old shag from the 70s that's been trampled bald in places.

luv
10-18-2006, 10:31 AM
So, only boys played tag?

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 10:32 AM

...a cheap shag.

Cochise
When I was a little kid I remember a teacher coming over and telling us not to play 'chase' games at least once. the thought of this was even there back in the late 80s.

JBucc
I bet all those kid's weight will balloon now. Lord knows that's probably the only real excercise they got.

el borracho
10-18-2006, 10:35 AM
...a cheap shag.
Wow. Stealing material? :shake:

4th and Long
10-18-2006, 10:36 AM

Fuzzy all over and covered with a lot of unknown stains.

Rain Man
When I was a little kid in Springfield, the teachers wouldn't let us play tackle football, which outraged us.

When I was a little kid in Arkansas, they wouldn't have stopped us if we were climbing power poles. Arkansas was cool in that respect.

Redrum_69
My favorite memories from grade school recess were spent playing indoor hockey, dodgeball, and kickball.

To get hurt at recess and come in with a wound was something special, unstoppable bleeding was a bonus.

Redrum_69
10-18-2006, 10:37 AM

I cant...I cant touch this one....

vailpass
10-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Reason #277 I send my kids to private schools.

That, and the public education in AZ is so bad that today's Arizona Republic headline was "Arizona is Dumbest State in the U.S."

I'm not making that up, a recent study said so.

luv
10-18-2006, 10:39 AM
My favorite memories from grade school recess were spent playing indoor hockey, dodgeball, and kickball.

To get hurt at recess and come in with a wound was something special, unstoppable bleeding was a bonus.
Our big thing was dodgeball. We were automatically out if we hit someone above the waste.

Those who weren't playing dodgeball were usually playing soccer. Wouldn't that be considered a chase game? We had countless collisions when more than one person went after the ball.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Wow. Stealing material? :shake:

What? I've never done that in my life. My very nickname is Honest Abe, which I came up with myself by the way.

How about this one?

....getting stretched by a bunch of guys wearing knee pads.

CosmicPal
10-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Tha'ts all we did at recess was play tag. That or play army. Or destroy ant colonies.

Destroy ant colonies? Did you go to school in a one-room schoolhouse?

I don't recall doing anything other than playing kick-ball.

4th and Long
10-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Who are you and what have you done with Redrum_69?

luv
10-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Wow, I didn't think I was that bad.

NewChief
10-18-2006, 10:44 AM
When I was a little kid in Arkansas, they wouldn't have stopped us if we were climbing power poles. Arkansas was cool in that respect.

My wife was schocked when we broke out some old home videos from my youth. The first one showed my brothers (aged like 7 and 12 at the time) riding their 3-wheelers in the snow (Honda 70 and a 185). I'm probably 2 or 3 and am toddling out in the field while they do doughnuts around me in the snow.

JBucc
10-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Destroy ant colonies? Did you go to school in a one-room schoolhouse?

I don't recall doing anything other than playing kick-ball.These weren't your normal ant colonies. Some of the older ones got 3 or 4 feet long and a couple feet high up against the wall of the school. It was all out take no prisoners warfare.

CosmicPal
10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
The first one showed my brothers (aged like 7 and 12 at the time) riding their 3-wheelers in the snow (Honda 70 and a 185). .

They were riding around in this?

http://www.mrtoys.com/big-wheels/pics/16-Inch-Big-Wheel-Tricycle.jpg

NewChief
10-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Naw. It was one of these:
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=62327&stc=1

greg63
10-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Aren't most games exclusionary?

"Ok children today we will play musical chairs without taking away any chairs so we all WIN!"

But I do agree that in a world were you can get sued for serving hot coffee, schools need to protect themselves. :D

NewChief
10-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah. The other one was a 110, not a 185.
http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/pppics/satc110001x81HONDA110.jpg

bogie
10-18-2006, 11:01 AM

I tagged your mother. She wasn't dodging my balls.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 11:04 AM

...she was made by a bunch of union guys in North Carolina.

Predarat
10-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Bring back Dodgeball!! WTF would gym class be without dodgeball? Kids nowdays are freakin' deprived!!

J Diddy
10-18-2006, 11:22 AM

no, he-women also played tag

listopencil
10-18-2006, 11:23 AM
...and we wonder why school shootings are on the rise.

Fried Meat Ball!
10-18-2006, 11:24 AM
no, he-women also played tag
:hmmm: I always thought it was because there wasn't enough Gatorade.

:p

listopencil
10-18-2006, 11:25 AM

Madam, you are turning your son into a pussy. You'd better hope he never has to compete against my kids in the real world as an adult because they will eat him alive.

TN_Chief
10-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Celeste D'Elia...does your son happen to take ballet lessons and play with Barbies? 'Cause if he doesn't already, he will be soon.

listopencil
10-18-2006, 11:33 AM
These weren't your normal ant colonies. Some of the older ones got 3 or 4 feet long and a couple feet high up against the wall of the school. It was all out take no prisoners warfare.

Yep. I went to Elementary School in Texas. I know what you mean. Burning an ant colony was considered good citizenship. My weapon of choice at school was a magnifying glass (no flames) and lighter fluid at home.

MOhillbilly
10-18-2006, 11:41 AM
these hippy school officers need a dose of reality.

the weak are here for a reason.

someone will have to repopulate mexico/S.A.

stevieray
10-18-2006, 03:25 PM
"attention students...after today there will only be ying, yang has been determined innappropiate for development...thank you and have a mundane existence.."

CHENZ A!
10-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Our big thing was dodgeball. We were automatically out if we hit someone above the waste.

Those who weren't playing dodgeball were usually playing soccer. Wouldn't that be considered a chase game? We had countless collisions when more than one person went after the ball.

Dodgeball(we called it bobardment) in school was the shit. Only the head was off limits. I used to love nailing the nerdy or unathletic kids that tried to hide in the back. LMAO

Easy 6
10-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Dodgeball(we called it bobardment) in school was the shit. Only the head was off limits. I used to love nailing the nerdy or unatheletic kids that tried to hide in the back. LMAO
When i was in school the head was target #1, you ruled if you could leave that small checked pattern from the red ball on someones face.

blueballs
10-18-2006, 05:32 PM

needs to be hung over the deckrail and beaten
then thrown on the floor to get steamed up
and left to dry out

Skip Towne
10-18-2006, 05:38 PM

That, and the public education in AZ is so bad that today's Arizona Republic headline was "Arizona is Dumbest State in the U.S."

I'll bet some of that is senility due to the high number of snowbirds.

Skip Towne
10-18-2006, 05:43 PM
It hasn't been mentioned but how do they feel about "Smear the Queer"? I'll bet GoChiefs hated that game.

Psyko Tek
10-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Near collisions, people. Near collisions!

sounds like last years D

Simply Red
10-18-2006, 08:14 PM
ROFL

THATS IT!

REP

Logical
10-18-2006, 08:39 PM
I seem to recall tag as the girls game. Guys were killin each other in War and gasp Cowboys and Indians.

Halfcan
10-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Dodgeball is dangerous?? This is just stoopid-we used to have fistfights everyday on the playground. You either learned to fight or learned to be a punching bag.

alanm
10-19-2006, 03:02 AM

This kid is already f*cked for life. :shake:

alanm
10-19-2006, 03:06 AM

I bet Mississippi is pissed. ROFL

Guru
10-19-2006, 03:13 AM
This kid is already f*cked for life. :shake:
Lucky kid. :)

alanm
10-19-2006, 03:15 AM
I seem to recall tag as the girls game. Guys were killin each other in War and gasp Cowboys and Indians.
We used to play brutal Red Rover games. Clothes linings and near decapitations were common. :)

Guru
10-19-2006, 03:18 AM

War, Bombardment, Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers.....

We knew how to have fun.

alanm
10-19-2006, 03:20 AM
Lucky kid. :)
Nah.. This kid will end up like the guy in the Old Spice High Endurance commercial. Eating salad on the couch wearing a sweater with his balls in his wifes purse. :)

Guru
10-19-2006, 03:49 AM
Nah.. This kid will end up like the guy in the Old Spice High Endurance commercial. Eating salad on the couch wearing a sweater with his balls in his wifes purse. :)
ROFL

Chief Henry
10-19-2006, 04:29 AM
We used to play brutal Red Rover games. Clothes linings and near decapitations were common. :)

Oh Hell ya, that and the greatest game of all "Smear the Queer".

NewChief
10-19-2006, 06:10 AM

I can't even remember the name of the game we used to play, but it was our favorite after Scout troop meetings. Basically you played on a "field" with everyone lined up on one side of the field. One person was "it" and in the middle. He'd shout go and everyone had to run to the other side of the field. The guy in the middle had to tackle someone when they ran. That person was then in the middle as well as the original person. They'd shout go, and everyone would run to the other side of the field, at which point the two people in the middle would try to tackle one or two people. Those people would then also join the group in the middle. Eventually everyone would be in the middle, and there'd be one poor chump trying to evade them all, of course that chump was usually the biggest dude who had been saved for last. The real fun was that we played with ages from 11 to about 16, so it was hilarious to see about five 11 year olds trying to drag down the one 16 year old while he drug them across the field.

noa
10-19-2006, 07:01 AM
At least they didn't do the FAA thing and call it a near miss. Don't you just hate that? Isn't a near miss, in reality, an actual hit?

George Carlin, is that you?

Rain Man
10-19-2006, 09:51 AM
Dodgeball(we called it bobardment) in school was the shit. Only the head was off limits. I used to love nailing the nerdy or unathletic kids that tried to hide in the back. LMAO

In 9th grade, we played bombardment all the time, and it is the only sport that can come close to football for the sheer joy of playing.

But anyway, the single greatest bombardment throw I ever saw was aimed at this poor skinny special ed kid named Duane who was cowering near the back wall. Some hard-throwing guy threw at him (not out of meanness, but just to get him out), and the ball missed. However - and I swear this is true - the ball bounced off the wall and nailed the kid in the back of the head since he was only a couple of feet from the wall. It then bounced off his head, back into the wall, and then miraculously hit him in the head a second time. Two head shots in one throw on the same person - it drew a standing ovation.

Rain Man
10-19-2006, 09:52 AM
I can't even remember the name of the game we used to play, but it was our favorite after Scout troop meetings. Basically you played on a "field" with everyone lined up on one side of the field. One person was "it" and in the middle. He'd shout go and everyone had to run to the other side of the field. The guy in the middle had to tackle someone when they ran. That person was then in the middle as well as the original person. They'd shout go, and everyone would run to the other side of the field, at which point the two people in the middle would try to tackle one or two people. Those people would then also join the group in the middle. Eventually everyone would be in the middle, and there'd be one poor chump trying to evade them all, of course that chump was usually the biggest dude who had been saved for last. The real fun was that we played with ages from 11 to about 16, so it was hilarious to see about five 11 year olds trying to drag down the one 16 year old while he drug them across the field.

Can someone at Chiefsplanet arrange a game of this the next time I'm in Kansas City? I want to play.

NewChief
10-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Can someone at Chiefsplanet arrange a game of this the next time I'm in Kansas City? I want to play.

For optimum enjoyment, you need to find the right "field." Ours was a courtyard. One "safe" side was the kid's playground equipment. the other "safe" side was a 3 foot high retaining wall. The real injuries happened when someone was being chased or tackled into the safe zone. Nothing like getting tripped just as you're about to make it to safety and instead stumbling your way into a set of metal monkey bars.

Bowser
10-19-2006, 10:07 AM

Yep.

It started when they stole dodgeball from the kids.

Before long, gym will be held in a completely padded room, with everybody wearing those giant sumo suits.

Ari Chi3fs
10-19-2006, 01:34 PM
http://www.steppinout1.co.uk/Sumo-Wrestling.jpg

JBucc
10-19-2006, 01:38 PM
Before long, gym will be held in a completely padded room, with everybody wearing those giant sumo suits.That would be awesome.