PDA

View Full Version : Joe Girardi to KC?....Why not?

Jordan
10-18-2006, 11:13 AM
One of the best young managers in MLB is a "free agent". Will Dayton Moore make a push at Joe Girardi? - He should!

Girardi has an excellent pedigree as he coached the Yankees under Joe Torre, and made the playoffs several times and WS as well.

He led a young Marlins team (in his 1st year as a manager) - fresh off another fire sale - to near playoff birth. Nobody expected this.

His biggest suitor - Chicago Cubs - Just hired the infamous Sweet Lou Pinella.

Torre will stay in NYC....probably - you never know with Steinbrenner.

We will be young next year (again), and could use a Manager with his track record and pedigree. He has great baseball knowledge and can pass that along to the Alex Gordon's of our organization. Plus, he can apparently handle youngsters unlike any manager I can remember. In compirison just look at the amount of talent Tampa Bay has and look at where its getting them...i.e. Delmon Young and his bat throwing fiasco.

...These are just a few reasons I want to start a Whitlock for Ty Law type of hoopla for Girardi. I know, I know - it's the Royals and not the Chiefs so it wont get as much publicity, but I think this move would turn the Royals around about as much as the signing of Dayton Moore. Plus Moore being here helps our case in the persuit of this elite manager - in my opinion.

This is my 1st post initiation. So please be nice and let me know your opinions.

ROYALS IN....HMNNNNN....'09?

Fried Meat Ball!
10-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Can he play left tackle?

CoMoChief
10-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Welcome to the planet.

I wouldnt mind having Girardi at all. I think he's a good manager and would be a perfect fit for our youth.

Having that said I don't think Buddy Bell is going anywhere. Why that is I don't know. He has the worst winning % in baseball among active coaches.

StcChief
10-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Now that Cubs have a Mgr....

why not let him suffer thru another season in KC.

noa
10-18-2006, 11:24 AM
I would love Girardi to come here, but Dayton seems like he wants to keep Bell around as long as he's healthy.

Predarat
10-18-2006, 11:27 AM
I really like Girardi. He seems to be able to walk the line where your tough enough but still kind of a players coach.

siberian khatru
10-18-2006, 11:37 AM
I've heard/read he only wants two jobs -- Cubs and Yankees. And that he's willing to sit on the bench next to Torre for a year or two waiting for his chance.

Of course, Don Mattingly is also supposed to be in line for the managing job, so Girardi would be gambling that he'd win that competition.

Archie F. Swin
10-18-2006, 11:40 AM
the fact that Buddy is still employed leads me to believe he has Moore's vote

siberian khatru
10-18-2006, 11:41 AM
the fact that Buddy is still employed leads me to believe he has Moore's vote

Unless Moore believes he can't fire a sick guy.

Cochise
10-18-2006, 11:43 AM
We have a manager that isn't going anywhere. One that improved our team once the pall of the former regime was lifted last season and that the team is behind. I want to see what he can do with talent. He did ok improving the team last year with virtually no bullets in his gun.

We should take it one year at a time. If Bell doesn't do a satisfactory job considering the talent he has this year then look for somebody in the offseason.

He hasn't even had a chance to prove himself yet. People nitpick about using one pitcher instead of another in a particular game or whatnot, but the guy has been trying to manage one of the worst rosters top to bottom in major league history. You can't lay on Bell the fact that we haven't made the playoffs running complete worthless losers like Runelvys Hernandez and Jeremy Affeldt and all these other turds he's had to try and polish.

While we're at it, everyone pissed and moaned that we didn't hire Buck Showalter a few years ago. I believe that he's available. Why is no one calling for this guy that we couldn't miss out on?

There is always going to be a good manager looking for work in the offseason. It's not like a guy who just got canned by the Florida Marlins is someone who only comes along once every 10 years. Nobody was in love with him here until last week.

Now since he may have been considered for the Yankees/Cubs job that must = good. :shrug:

siberian khatru
10-18-2006, 11:46 AM
While we're at it, everyone pissed and moaned that we didn't hire Buck Showalter a few years ago. I believe that he's available. Why is no one calling for this guy that we couldn't miss out on?

Considering what the Yankees and Dbacks did right after he left, we should hire him for one year and then fire him.

Cochise
10-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Considering what the Yankees and Dbacks did right after he left, we should hire him for one year and then fire him.

That's it. I'm going to Vegas and betting the farm on the Rangers next year. ROFL

Jordan
10-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the input....and the welcome to the Planet.

Side note to Cochise: I didn't just fall in love with Girardi in the past few weeks. When the Marlins were in contention at the all star break and it came out that he was a lame duck manager, I started voicing my opinion - Just finally posted something about it. Though, I still haven't heard much on sportstalk or otherwise regarding him.

Also, this morning on DA - 610 I heard Bell IS in next year. I know its hard to fire a coach that just had surgery for cancer, but as pointed out above he has the worst winning % of any manager. You cant blame that on teh Royals roster either. He makes stupid calls - i.e. never bunting with Berroa with runner at 1st and no outs (I counted 7 times this past year he let Berroa swing away in that position and he struck out), leaving pitchers in WAY too long, repeatedly running Burgos out for the 9th despite his poor firtunes and - in my opinion - possibly ruining him for the future by destroying his confidence (Affeldtesque).

Ok, thats it for my rant. I want Girardi, but it looks like a lost cause....unless we get some Steinbrenner $!

nychief
10-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Royals retain staff, swap base coaches
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

The Royals confirmed their intention Wednesday to retain their entire major-league coaching staff along with manager Buddy Bell for the 2007 season.

“The chemistry between the staff and the players was very good,” general manager Dayton Moore said, “and Buddy felt comfortable in bringing everybody back. My basic philosophy is the manager will pick the staff.”

The only change is a switch in base-coaching duties with Luis Silverio moving from third to first, and Brian Poldberg going from first to third. All other responsibilities remain intact.

“I feel comfortable with Brian or Luis coaching third,” Bell said.

“This will give Luis a little more freedom to work with the outfielders.”

Bench coach Billy Doran, pitching coach Bob McClure, bullpen coach Fred Kendall and hitting coach Mike Barnett will also return.

siberian khatru
10-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the input....and the welcome to the Planet.

Side note to Cochise: I didn't just fall in love with Girardi in the past few weeks. When the Marlins were in contention at the all star break and it came out that he was a lame duck manager, I started voicing my opinion - Just finally posted something about it. Though, I still haven't heard much on sportstalk or otherwise regarding him.

Also, this morning on DA - 610 I heard Bell IS in next year. I know its hard to fire a coach that just had surgery for cancer, but as pointed out above he has the worst winning % of any manager. You cant blame that on teh Royals roster either. He makes stupid calls - i.e. never bunting with Berroa with runner at 1st and no outs (I counted 7 times this past year he let Berroa swing away in that position and he struck out), leaving pitchers in WAY too long, repeatedly running Burgos out for the 9th despite his poor firtunes and - in my opinion - possibly ruining him for the future by destroying his confidence (Affeldtesque).

Ok, thats it for my rant. I want Girardi, but it looks like a lost cause....unless we get some Steinbrenner $!

I don't think Bell is a good manager. And I don't think he'll be managing here when (if?) the team is ready to compete.

But Moore publicly laid out his criteria for what he liked in a manager, and Buddisimo met most of the standard. So I think he's definitely here for 2007. And I don't think it will matter much who manages in 2007, because the team will still be in transition developing the young players. They'll lose 90-100 games no matter who's at the helm. The key is to have someone who's willing to play the young guys and develop them. If Buddy will do that, and not force a Doug Minky over a Ryan Shealy, then he'll suffice.

ChiTown
10-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Royals retain staff, swap base coaches
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

The Royals confirmed their intention Wednesday to retain their entire major-league coaching staff along with manager Buddy Bell for the 2007 season.

“The chemistry between the staff and the players was very good,” general manager Dayton Moore said, “and Buddy felt comfortable in bringing everybody back. My basic philosophy is the manager will pick the staff.”

The only change is a switch in base-coaching duties with Luis Silverio moving from third to first, and Brian Poldberg going from first to third. All other responsibilities remain intact.

“I feel comfortable with Brian or Luis coaching third,” Bell said.

“This will give Luis a little more freedom to work with the outfielders.”

Bench coach Billy Doran, pitching coach Bob McClure, bullpen coach Fred Kendall and hitting coach Mike Barnett will also return.

We going to the WORLD SERIES now! Boooooooooooooooooooooyah!

WooWoo

Sure-Oz
10-19-2006, 09:10 AM
I think its ok to have bell back another year, they seemed to really gel a bit more under him this year and its not his fault the pen sucked ass and the starters did too

DaWolf
10-19-2006, 09:12 AM
Really this club has been through so many changes recently that I think a bit of stability will do them more good for now. Changing managers every other year on a rebuilding club is not the best way to go. Buddy needs to be able to see some of this through and be given a chance to win, which really he hasn't been given the tools to do so yet. This club, if all goes to plan, will be ready to contend in another couple of years. Now either Bell is able to consistently improve this team and stick around for the run, or he isn't and at that point when we feel the team is ready to evolve we go out and get a proven manager like Detroit did. But right now it probably won't make much of a difference...

BigChiefFan
10-19-2006, 09:17 AM
I don't think Bell is a good manager. And I don't think he'll be managing here when (if?) the team is ready to compete.

But Moore publicly laid out his criteria for what he liked in a manager, and Buddisimo met most of the standard. So I think he's definitely here for 2007. And I don't think it will matter much who manages in 2007, because the team will still be in transition developing the young players. They'll lose 90-100 games no matter who's at the helm. The key is to have someone who's willing to play the young guys and develop them. If Buddy will do that, and not force a Doug Minky over a Ryan Shealy, then he'll suffice.
Doug Minky is gone. He already stated Shealy was doing great and he thought the organization should go in that direction. Doug M. is/ was a quality ball-player, but he won't be back in a Royals uniform. Grudz , on the other hand will be our 2nd baseman this year.

ChiTown
10-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Grudz , on the other hand will be our 2nd baseman this year.

Thank God, because we have NO ONE else that can play 2nd base every day. We don't even have anyone that's close to being ready in the Minor's. I know all about Keppinger, but he is (IMO) a bit player that can fill in when needed.

siberian khatru
10-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Doug Minky is gone. He already stated Shealy was doing great and he thought the organization should go in that direction. Doug M. is/ was a quality ball-player, but he won't be back in a Royals uniform. Grudz , on the other hand will be our 2nd baseman this year.

Yes, I realize that, I was just using that as an example of what not to do regarding veteran and young players.

However, I think the club was fortunate that Minky got hurt when Shealy came aboard, because Minky would've grabbed some at-bats. I don't wish ill on Minky, but it was good that it forced the Royals to play Shealy full-time.

Cochise
10-19-2006, 10:55 AM

What is so great about him? I mean, I'm not saying he sucks, but his team this year was much more talented than the Royals and finished in 4th place.

...as pointed out above he has the worst winning % of any manager.

His tenure with the talentless Royals I would wager has had an effect on that.

You cant blame that on teh Royals roster either. He makes stupid calls - i.e. never bunting with Berroa with runner at 1st and no outs (I counted 7 times this past year he let Berroa swing away in that position and he struck out),

Statistically, a runner on first with no outs scores a run more often than a runner on second with 1 out.

repeatedly running Burgos out for the 9th despite his poor firtunes and - in my opinion - possibly ruining him for the future by destroying his confidence (Affeldtesque).

Burgos is never going to be a closer in this league. We haven't ruined anything.

Jordan
10-20-2006, 09:48 AM
I'll preface this by stating I am new and my retort to Cochise will not be formatted as well, but here's my retort at any rate as I disagree with everything you just said:

1) Marlins are as young - or younger - than the Royals, but their record was 78-84 and they were in the Wild Card hunt until the last week of the season. If that isnt leadership, I dont know what is...thgey were supposed to be in the cellar with the likes of the Royals and Pirates after their fire sale. There most experienced player is Dontrelle Willis, and he had a poor year.

2) Bell didn't just do bad with the Royals - he flailed with a decent Indians team as well. He is a proven LOSER! He's a nice enough guy, but we all saw what happens to nice guys in baseball (Allard Baird). He makes bad calls, sets a piss poor lineup (even with what we have) - I mean he would put Graffinino in the 3 hole...NEVER NEVER put that guy in the best hitters position...we had other options, he leaves pitchers in to long.....I can go on.

3) Are you seriously stating you prefer a man @ 1st with no outs and Berroa up (Double play possibility) than a runner at 2nd with one out? If so, you are changing the phlosophy of baseball. Scoring position means nothing to you? A single gets a run means nothing? I think that statement is ridiculous - the goal of non-power hitting teams (small ball)is to ADVANCE RUNNERS ANY WAY POSSIBLE....90 feet closer is 90 feet closer.

4) Burgos = not a closer & we didnt ruin anything running him out there repeatedly, then changing his role, then placing him back at closer, then moving him out again?

Right....like we didnt ruin Affeldt and Macdougal by doing that.

Buddy Bell = Nice guy, but $hitty manager.

Also, I dont think he had anything to do with the 2nd half turnaround. That had way more to do with Dayton Moore and the players and winning attitude he brought over.

KChiefs1
10-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Buddy Bell ain't goin' nowhere....