PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't sure if I should put this in the DC area but want a wide variety of opinions

Hound333
10-18-2006, 11:34 AM
To start with I am getting married next September. For some reason she said yes ( I contend she wasn't in her right mind). She has to great kids but currently she doesn't live in the best area of town. (Going to college with two kids will do that to someone)

Her oldest is in kindergarden this year and attends a daycare for about an hour after school is out. He is a white kid and is one of two white kids at the daycare. I personally feel this is a good experiance for him. He will have a limited exposure to being in an environment where he is in the minority.

It does have its drawbacks. There is currently a group of students in the 4th-5th grade range that are making fun of him constantly for being white. Calling him "whitey, honky, white boy" ect... We have gone to the teachers about it but they seem to blow it off saying they will look into it. (we all know what would happen if it was our kid calling them "blacky, N*****, or black boy".

Basically I am just frustrated that no one there seems to think its a big deal. I just hope that this 5 year old that has never had a racist bone in his body doesn't turn out to hold grudges because of his bad experiance here. I will however stop short of doing the "Can't we all just get along" bit. /vent off

siberian khatru
10-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Tell the kid to bust a cap in dey azz.

listopencil
10-18-2006, 11:37 AM
This is happening in school or daycare? If it is happening in school go to the Principal and demand that he step in. If he doesn't then go to his boss. It has to stop or you're looking at a future White Prider stepson. If it is happening in the daycare you are going to need to find another one. Reverse discrimination is still discrimination. Hate is hate. Get that kid out of that environment as quickly as you can.

MOhillbilly
10-18-2006, 11:38 AM
cut two holes in a white pillow case braid rope into hangmans knot.
send child to school for halloween party.

Hound333
10-18-2006, 11:40 AM
This is happening in school or daycare? If it is happening in school go to the Principal and demand that he step in. If he doesn't then go to his boss. It has to stop or you're looking at a future White Prider stepson. If it is happening in the daycare you are going to need to find another one. Reverse discrimination is still discrimination. Hate is hate. Get that kid out of that environment as quickly as you can.

Its happening at the Daycare. We will be looking into other daycare's but it will be hard. You have to have an opening and with our schedules we need one that will drop off and pick up from school. Thankfully I close on a house this Friday and next year he will be in a different school district.

chagrin
10-18-2006, 11:41 AM
discrimination is discrimination. Hate is hate. Get that kid out of that environment as quickly as you can.

Fixed your post, I know what you meant, but I had to add this, no offense to you of course:

the definition of discrimination is not "white people being mean to people of other colors" It is what it is and EVERY race on this Earth is guilty of it, at one point or another.

Dartgod
10-18-2006, 11:44 AM
http://www.worldofmagnets.co.uk/images/catalog/other/water%20bowl.JPG

+

http://www.jcarle.com/blogimages/prestone.jpg

= Problem Solved

Archie F. Swin
10-18-2006, 11:47 AM
white people aren't allowed to bitch about racism...but this probably is not racism, this is probably just the children of stupid people carrying on their family tradition

greg63
10-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Eh, those names never, ever bothered me because I never, ever, saw myself as such. Teach the child to ignore them. Daycare is not as good an environment as one might think. We utilized a daycare center for our kids when they were very young and impressionable and have since come to regret it.

Brock
10-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Invite them all over for s'mores and kumbaya.

Then sacrifice them to Ba'al.

greg63
10-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Invite them all over for s'mores and kumbaya.

Then sacrifice them to Ba'al.

LMAO

banyon
10-18-2006, 11:49 AM
I agree with listo.

This seems like a useful site if the principal isn't cooperative:

http://www.adversity.net/topten.htm

listopencil
10-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Fixed your post, I know what you meant, but I had to add this, no offense to you of course:

the definition of discrimination is not "white people being mean to people of other colors" It is what it is and EVERY race on this Earth is guilty of it, at one point or another.

Yep, I know what you mean and thought about putting it that way myself. I went with the more PC statement I guess. Kudos to you for picking up on it.

MOhillbilly
10-18-2006, 11:51 AM
where have the days of knuckle sammy justice gone?

greg63
10-18-2006, 11:51 AM

No such thing; discrimination is discrimination.

Easy 6
10-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Either get that poor kid out or have a VERY candid conversation with the principal. I had the displeasure of attending several mostly black daycares, after school centers and schools. I hated every minute of it. that kid is obviously the victim of wolfpack mentality. I WILL NOT brook claims of racism for my remarks either, i'm lucky enough to have developed a "content of character" outlook on race, despite many ugly incidents. The fact is that he will be the target of constant threats and abuse, the only positive being that he will learn to fight at an early age...which of course is no positive at all. I urge you to spend extra time with this boy to bolster his self-esteem, i gaurantee he needs it. All kids can be brutally mean but will take on added dimensions there IMO. PS- Martial arts classes wouldnt hurt.

Archie F. Swin
10-18-2006, 11:56 AM
No such thing; discrimination is discrimination.

reverse discrimination has occured in my transmission

joesomebody
10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
First off why are 4th and 5th graders associating with a kindergarten kid at a day care?

Hopefully this experience will give your kid a thick skin, because in life, there are certainly worse things than being called whitey.

listopencil
10-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Go to this website:

http://nrc.uchsc.edu/STATES/states.htm

It has a list by state of qualifications for daycare providers. It also has some contact phone numbers. I don't know the regulations for daycare, but they have to have licenses to stay in business. Raise hell. I would.

listopencil
10-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Here's one for my state, as an example:

80042 REVOCATION OR SUSPENSION OF LICENSE

(a) The Department shall have the authority to suspend or revoke any license on any of the grounds specified in Health and Safety Code Sections 1550 and 1550.5.

HANDBOOK BEGINS HERE

(1) Health and Safety Code Section 1550 specifies the following grounds:

"The department may deny an application for, or suspend or revoke any license, or any administrator certificate, issued under this chapter upon any of the following grounds and in the manner provided in this chapter:

"(a) Violation by the licensee, or holder of a special permit of this chapter or of the rules and regulations promulgated under this chapter.

"(b) Aiding, abetting, or permitting the violation of this chapter or of the rules and regulations promulgated under this chapter.

"(c) Conduct which is inimical to the health, morals, welfare, or safety of either an individual in, or receiving services from, the facility or the people of the State of California.

morphius
10-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Your school doesn't have a before and after school program? It is a great thing if you can get into it, and is normally even cheaper then the daycare.

stumppy
10-18-2006, 12:12 PM
You need to do something ASAP. Don't let that crap go on another day.
This is an excellent oppurtunity for you to start parenting your new kids.

Congrats by the way.

Lzen
10-18-2006, 12:13 PM

Thank you. I hate the phrase reverse disrimination.

Mr. Laz
10-18-2006, 12:16 PM
sue the daycare ...... that's what many a Black person would do.

way2kalm
10-18-2006, 12:25 PM
sue the daycare ...... that's what many a Black person would do.

No, many black people would yank the kid out of that particular school. Stop basing your opinions of a few money hungry black folk that don't know how to handle simple problems.

Lzen
10-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Thank you. I hate the phrase reverse disrimination.

On a related note, I also hate the phrase reverse discrimination.

SPchief
10-18-2006, 12:29 PM
No, many black people would yank the kid out of that particular school. Stop basing your opinions of a few money hungry black folk that don't know how to handle simple problems.

I think you need to adjust your sarcasm meter.

greg63
10-18-2006, 12:31 PM
reverse discrimination has occured in my transmission

I stand corrected. :rolleyes: :D

Lzen
10-18-2006, 12:33 PM
The kids(5th graders) need to be taught that it is wrong. That what they're doing is just as wrong as what some white folks do to them. That being said, I wouldn't tell him to immediately remove his kids. Being in the minority doesn't have to be terrible. My nephew grew up hanging around mostly black friends. I think it has helped teach him some things about equality. Sure, his buds tease him at times and call him cracker, but it's more of a playful thing. It just means he's accepted as part of the group. My son is the same way. He has 4 main friends and all of them are black.

way2kalm
10-18-2006, 12:34 PM
To start with I am getting married next September. For some reason she said yes ( I contend she wasn't in her right mind). She has to great kids but currently she doesn't live in the best area of town. (Going to college with two kids will do that to someone)

Her oldest is in kindergarden this year and attends a daycare for about an hour after school is out. He is a white kid and is one of two white kids at the daycare. I personally feel this is a good experiance for him. He will have a limited exposure to being in an environment where he is in the minority.

It does have its drawbacks. There is currently a group of students in the 4th-5th grade range that are making fun of him constantly for being white. Calling him "whitey, honky, white boy" ect... We have gone to the teachers about it but they seem to blow it off saying they will look into it. (we all know what would happen if it was our kid calling them "blacky, N*****, or black boy".

Basically I am just frustrated that no one there seems to think its a big deal. I just hope that this 5 year old that has never had a racist bone in his body doesn't turn out to hold grudges because of his bad experiance here. I will however stop short of doing the "Can't we all just get along" bit. /vent off

That's a damn shame. It just goes to show that discrimination as a human trait and not a "race of people" trait. Trust me if you sent him to a daycare with all rich white people, they would still be talking crazy to him. I agree with most of what was already said. Escalate the problem up to the teacher, principal, school board, superintendant, etc. The problem will not fix itself. If the problem is not fixed, she may have to start looking for another school. Until, spend some time with him and teach him the RIGHT way to handle those situations. It doesn't make sense that a group of 4th and 5th graders are messing with him. Sounds as if they have some self-esteem issues themselves.

way2kalm
10-18-2006, 12:35 PM
I think you need to adjust your sarcasm meter.

There was nothing sarcastic about that statement.

vailpass
10-18-2006, 12:37 PM

ROFL

Fish
10-18-2006, 12:40 PM
http://media.teamxbox.com/games/boxart/1126017572.jpg

?

Hound333
10-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Apparently this is more upsetting to Mom and myself than it is to the kid. He does not want to be pulled out it seems because alot of his friends are there. It didn't even register with him that it was a racist comment. He just knew that it was something bad because the older kids were trying to be mean to him.

The reason that the 5th graders are with the kindergarden is because as the numbers of students get lower they send teachers home to save money and combine the kids that are left. I will just make my best efforts to pick him up as early as I can before he is with the older students. *shrugs* there are assholes at every age and every color.

vailpass
10-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Are there any other older kids there, kids you could make a deal with to look out for your kid?

Easy 6
10-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Apparently this is more upsetting to Mom and myself than it is to the kid. He does not want to be pulled out it seems because alot of his friends are there. It didn't even register with him that it was a racist comment. He just knew that it was something bad because the older kids were trying to be mean to him.

The reason that the 5th graders are with the kindergarden is because as the numbers of students get lower they send teachers home to save money and combine the kids that are left. I will just make my best efforts to pick him up as early as I can before he is with the older students. *shrugs* there are assholes at every age and every color.
If he has a group of friends for support and it stays at the name calling level, then something could prolly be worked out.

ptlyon
10-18-2006, 12:57 PM
"There is currently a group of students in the 4th-5th grade range that are making fun of him constantly for being white. Calling him "whitey, honky, white boy" ect."

That's not cool. 14, 15 year old kids should know better than to pick on a kindergartener, especially using race.

You have 14 and 15 year olds in 4th and 5th grade out there?

Good God.

JBucc
10-18-2006, 01:00 PM
There is obviously only one logical solution to this problem. You must paint your kid black.

morphius
10-18-2006, 01:15 PM
Next time they start calling him names just have him say calmly back, "That's The Man to you".

Cormac
10-18-2006, 01:21 PM
It depends on how much this is affecting the child, and I just saw that you mentioned it affects you and your fiancee more. It sounds like the child is fine. Teach him how to deal with the situation properly. Explain to him the other kids' motives and weaknesses and above all let him know it's not his fault. Protect him, but let him work it out and you'll raise a man, not a pampered grudge-holder. He'll run into some form of this bullying no matter where he goes. Children are resilient. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

JMO, and good luck!

JBucc
10-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Or you could enter him into one of those contests to get an NFL player to hang out with for a day. Choose Brian Urlacher. Or Rich Scanlon.

BIG_DADDY
10-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Send him to school with a bucket of KFC and a watermelon.

Kclee
10-18-2006, 01:30 PM
First off why are 4th and 5th graders associating with a kindergarten kid at a day care?

They seperate them by IQ level rather than age? :shrug:

ptlyon
10-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Send him to school with a bucket of KFC and a watermelon.

Shiiii!!! Wah id is...

Calcountry
10-18-2006, 01:52 PM

Basically I am just frustrated that no one there seems to think its a big deal. I just hope that this 5 year old that has never had a racist bone in his body doesn't turn out to hold grudges because of his bad experiance here. I will however stop short of doing the "Can't we all just get along" bit. /vent offI cannot participate in this thread due to the fact that I am white.

The Dude Abides
10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Thats why my kid is home schooled. Keep her away from all that, and also the multicultural crap that they indoctrinate the kids with these days.

GoHuge
10-18-2006, 03:05 PM
:shake: :clap: