PDA

View Full Version : Winless season takes toll on Raiders' Sapp

Fried Meat Ball!
10-19-2006, 08:51 AM
ROFL

Winless season takes toll on Raiders' Sapp

By JOSH DUBOW

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) Ė Warren Sapp walked by Randy Moss' locker recently and saw a framed picture commemorating the receiver's 100th career touchdown catch.

"You catch 100 TD passes, you think that would bring a little happiness to your life," Sapp commented.

On this Oakland Raiders' team there's little to be happy about.

Moss goes on the radio weekly and criticizes the team. Last year's leading receiver, Jerry Porter, hasn't played a game all year and has been suspended by coach Art Shell for insubordination. And the winless Raiders are off to their worst start in more than four decades.

After spending most of his career on winning teams in Tampa Bay, Sapp is struggling with the losing and negativity around the Raiders.

"It's probably the worst time in my life right now," Sapp said.

Oakland (0-5) heads into Sunday's game against the Arizona Cardinals as the NFL's only winless team and having lost 11 in a row dating to last season.

Sapp hasn't been on a team that started this poorly since his second year in the league, when the Buccaneers lost their first five games on the way to a 6-10 mark.

The Raiders haven't been this bad since 1964, when they lost their first five games in Al Davis' second year as coach.

Most of the problems have been on an offense that has scored just 50 points and has been kept out of the end zone in three of the first five games, including last Sunday's 13-3 loss at Denver.

"We aren't going to win many with three points, but we are just going to keep plugging along," Sapp said. "It's about pride, now, more than anything. We haven't won a game. We can't hang our hat on anything. You have to go out and play. I know for myself I am, because I love this game."

Shell considers Sapp one of the leaders of a team that is sorely lacking them. With Moss and Porter making their problems public, that leadership is being tested like never before.

"He's a guy guys look up to," Shell said. "He keeps guys loose. He's demanding of his teammates. He makes sure they're doing the right things. Guys respect him a lot and I'm sure there's a bunch of them that look up to him."

Sapp has learned to tone down his rhetoric, saying he's learned that it's not "really wise to say all the stuff you're really thinking."

That's a lesson Moss could use. Having shut out the local media during most of his two years in Oakland, Moss gets his thoughts out through a weekly radio spot on Fox Sports Radio.

He's talked about how things are "fishy" around the Raiders, complained about how hard Shell makes the team work, said there's no reason for him to care about the losing because no one else does, and said he'd welcome a trade if the Raiders thought it would help the team.

Sapp, who used to have his own radio spot in Tampa, said Moss' interviews wouldn't be such a big deal if the team was winning.

"But when you're (0-5), everything's magnified," he said. "And I think being a veteran guy he would understand that. But, hey, Moss is Moss. ...

"But Randy's always been a different guy. Nothing that's going to make it any worse right now, I don't think. It's got to get better before it gets worse."

That could take a while.

The Raiders are the laughingstock of the league right now, with Web sites already running polls about whether they'll even win a single game this season.

After this week's game against the struggling Cardinals (1-5), the schedule gets much more difficult, with a home game against Pittsburgh, a visit to Seattle, a home game against Denver and trips to Kansas City and San Diego.

The Raiders are underdogs this week and figure to be for the five following games. Then comes a home game against Houston, which looks as if it could be Oakland's most winnable matchup.

"When you're on the outside looking at an 0-5 team, it's really easy to nitpick and say what you need to say because there aren't a lot of things you can fight off when you're 0-5," Sapp said. "The losses are there and there are no wins to fight anything with. We know what kind of ballclub we got. We just have to go out and show it."

StcChief
10-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Cry me a river. FU Sapp.

Bowser
10-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Are you sure it's not that enormous gut that's taking a toll on him?

Amnorix
10-19-2006, 09:00 AM
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

siberian khatru
10-19-2006, 09:01 AM
:deevee:

Guess Shell should've picked up some players who can handle 0-16.

stumppy
10-19-2006, 09:12 AM

That dumb bastard needs some real problems in his life.

banyon
10-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Well he started off with a then-loser (Bucs) and I guess he wanted to finish with one too.

Brock
10-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Sapp is a punk, always has been. I wouldn't mind seeing him leave the game in extreme pain.

Radar Chief
10-19-2006, 09:28 AM
My heartís pumpín purple piss for ya, Sapp.

alpha_omega
10-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Can't wait till Raider week!!!!!!

MichaelH
10-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Oh Boo Hoo. Shut yer Yap, Sapp. :)

L.A. Chieffan
10-19-2006, 09:47 AM

That makes it one of the HAPPIEST times of my life.

Rooster
10-19-2006, 10:25 AM
I didn't relieze that they had lost 11 in row going back to last year. WOW.. What is the recorded for consecutive regular season losses? The fact it is the Raiders makes it so sweet. :p

Rooster
10-19-2006, 10:28 AM
I didn't relieze that they had lost 11 in row going back to last year. WOW.. What is the recorded for consecutive regular season losses? The fact it is the Raiders makes it so sweet. :p

Answered my own question. :)

Most Consecutive Games Lost
26 Tampa Bay, 1976-1977
19 Chi. Cardinals, 1942-43, 1945
Oakland, 1961-62
18 Houston, 1972-73

Most Consecutive Games Without Victory
26 Tampa Bay, 1976-77 (lost 26)
23 Rochester, 1922-25 (lost 21, tied 2)
Washington, 1960-61 (lost 20, tied 3)
19 Dayton, 1927-29 (lost 18, tied 1)
Chi. Cardinals, 1942-43, 1945 (lost 19)
Oakland, 1961-62 (lost 19)

Most Games Lost, Season
15 New Orleans, 1980
Dallas, 1989
New England, 1990
Indianapolis, 1991
N.Y. Jets, 1996
San Diego, 2000
Carolina, 2001
14 By many teams

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/team/gameslost

HemiEd
10-19-2006, 10:57 AM
The Raiders are the laughingstock of the league right now, with Web sites already running polls about whether they'll even win a single game this season.

This is fantastic!

BucEyedPea
10-19-2006, 10:59 AM
Sapps even mean to Buc fans guys.

Sully
10-19-2006, 11:00 AM
But... I thought Moss was the player elected captain for the Raiders?

Kerberos
10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
If they did go 0-16 it would pretty much cement thier existance in the Pro Football Hall of Shame.

Chances are they will go at least 2-14 and god forbid the 2 are against the Chiefs. :banghead:

Dammit Carl :cuss:

Hog Farmer
10-19-2006, 01:30 PM
I heard Trent talking about sapp this morning. His comment was "I'd gladly trade places with the fat ****er. At least his brains not bleeding".

Halfcan
10-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Moss has always been a lazy thug-why is it a surprise to Sapp that he says practice is too hard??

Chief Faithful
10-19-2006, 01:35 PM
Sapp is back page news, that makes me happy.

buddha
10-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Sapp hasn't been an NFL calibre player for at least three years now. Why would ANYBODY care about him at this point?