PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with LJ - 10/18

dirk digler
10-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Q&A with RB LARRY JOHNSON - 10/18
Oct 18, 2006, 5:02:52 PM

Q: Has it been tough seeing defenses putting seven guys at the line of scrimmage against you?

JOHNSON: “I’m not seeing seven, I’m seeing more eight men in the box. That’s what defenses are doing right now. It’s tough losing your starting quarterback. That doesn’t make the pressure on you any lesser. They know that we’re going to try to run the football. It’s kind of hard to run the football anyway when you’re down 21 or 14-0 in the first or second quarter. You have to fight and scratch to get 14 points and you can’t do it by running the football.”

Q: What is the biggest difference in Damon Huard vs. Trent Green as far as defenses are concerned?

JOHNSON: “Just overall respect. Trent Green has been a consistent passer year in and year out. When you lose that to a guy that hasn’t really started much in the league, experience is the biggest difference.”

Q: After not playing much your first two seasons did you think that you were going to get an opportunity in Kansas City?

JOHNSON: “I knew I was going to get it, but I didn’t know it was going to come as quick as it did as far as (Priest Holmes) going down in Week Seven. It just happened to happen that way and I thought I’d have to wait longer until he retired.”

Q: What was the difference between the facemask tackle you sustained in Arizona and the tackle you made in the Pittsburgh game?

JOHNSON: “I know one play was illegal and one was completely legal. He grows his hair out that way and since that Ricky Williams rule that if you choose to grow your hair out, then your hair is part of the uniform. There was nothing illegal about my tackle. I tried to grab for his jersey, his hair was in my hand and he kind of went down along with his hair. If you grow your hair out that way, regardless or what ethnicity that commands you to wear it that way, it does become part of your uniform. The other one was completely illegal.”

Q: What did you think of Arizona’s Antrel Rolle getting fined for tackling you by the facemask?

JOHNSON: “I don’t think he ought to get fined for it. He’s a tough football player. He’s the type of player that does anything and everything he can to try to win a game. I don’t think what he tried to do was intentional. I think he was trying to reach for my shoulder pad and the only thing he could grab at that time was my facemask. I don’t think he did it intentionally and I don’t think he should have been fined $12,000 for it. It’s football and accidents like that do happen.”

Q: Were you worried that you might have sustained a long-term injury?

JOHNSON: “I didn’t even consider it. I don’t ‘what if’ things unless they happen and then I carry on from there. I just knew that a lot of people were worried for me because on TV it looked a lot worse than it really was. Other than that, it wasn’t as bad as everyone thought it would be.”

Q: What do you think of playing at Arrowhead Stadium?

JOHNSON: “It’s great because when you do it in Kansas City – and there’s nothing but football and baseball and football right now is what’s in – you get a large amount of people tailgating and coming to the games and cheering you on. That’s the ultimate position to be in, where there’s nothing but football. There’s nothing to do but football. It’s a great surrounding when it becomes Sunday.”

Q: What do you think of the Chargers run defense?

JOHNSON: “They’re good. They’ve been like that ever since I’ve known them, ever since the additions of Merriman, Foley, Phillips and Edwards. They’ve always been great across the board and of course Jamal Williams has been great. We faced them last year when the weather was bad and we faced them out there. I don’t really put too much emphasis on the number one defense. They were number one until they faced us. It’s so different when you get into division play, that somebody that you thought was the number one defense really wasn’t the number one defense. It goes up and down when you play against your own division opponents.”

Q: Why were you able to have so much success running the ball against San Diego last December?

JOHNSON: “I guess because everything for us at that time was clicking for us. The run game was clicking for us. People feared us running the football and passing the football because Trent was back and he was throwing places that he had to, but we were also running. We were so successful in weeks prior running the football that we felt we could come in, in our own stadium, wet conditions and run. I’m more of a bad-weather type player anyway because I don’t slash or cut more than I have to. It was raining and muddy and we just took it downhill to see if their cleats were going to hold up in that mud.”

Q: Did having early leads last year contribute to your success running the ball?

JOHNSON: “It helps when you get an early lead and you just try to put them away using the balance of the run and pass. Then you become successful. You don’t become successful on the ground when you’re down 21 or 14 points at halftime.”

Q: What are your thoughts on Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson?

JOHNSON: “I enjoy watching him because he is at the top of his game, being one of the top backs in the league. Any running back I get to go against, I like to see what they do and how they hold up during the game. Going against LaDainian has always been my biggest joy and my biggest challenge because he is the top guy in our division, top guy in the NFL. You feel like you have to try to out perform him, regardless of what you do.”

Q: What are you thoughts on the outside expectations people had for you coming into the season?

JOHNSON: “I put those expectations on me to begin with, but it doesn’t help you a lot when ESPN and everybody else is saying that. Defensive coordinators around the world are listening to the same media exposure, so they know if they want to keep their job, their prime aspect is to stop me. No one wants to give up 100-yard or 150-yard or even 200-yard games from somebody that they deemed was going to be an NFL MVP or a top rusher at the end of the season. That sends out basically a warning that to beat the team you have to stop the run.”

tk13
10-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Sounds like a big Huard fan.

Halfcan
10-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Sounds like he doesn't like Huard.

Rooster
10-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Sounds like a big Huard fan.

ROFL That's exactly what I thought.

NewChief
10-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Re: Larry on Huard

Larry's always had a hard time articulating himself to the media, imo. I honestly think (hope) that he was just saying that opposing D's don't respect Huard as much as Trent due to reputation, not that Huard isn't worthy of their respect and incapable of earning a similar reputation given time.

Baby Lee
10-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Re: Larry on Huard

Larry's always had a hard time articulating himself to the media, imo. I honestly think (hope) that he was just saying that opposing D's don't respect Huard as much as Trent due to reputation, not that Huard isn't worthy of their respect and incapable of earning a similar reputation given time.
That doesn't make the things he's saying any lesser. ROFL ROFL

Radar Chief
10-19-2006, 02:57 PM
That doesn't make the things he's saying any lesser. ROFL ROFL

:LOL: Yea, I noticed that one too.