PDA

View Full Version : Rich Gannon has Never Lost a Playoff Game

NaptownChief
01-06-2001, 07:06 PM
as a starter...

gh4chiefs
01-06-2001, 08:08 PM
I asked this question before. Prior to today's game, has he ever PLAYED in a playoff game before. Marty sure as hell didn't give him a chance here. But what about other teams that he's played for? Anyone know?

NaptownChief
01-06-2001, 08:10 PM
Gary,

I think he was on the pine in Minn. once when they got bounced in the 1st round.

KCWolfman
01-06-2001, 08:24 PM
Next week he will be 50/50. The raiders will not be able to handle either Bal's or Ten's defense.

I just hope that the AFC comes out on top.

hawaiianboy
01-06-2001, 08:37 PM
Russ...

Care to make a little wager on that?

I have a nice looking Ball State cap that I won from good ole jl80 earlier and 1 of 2 game summaries by the Wolfman in my trophy case already.....

hawaiianboy.......

has never lost a wager to a Chiefs fan.............

j/k bout the wager.......

[Edited by hawaiianboy on 01-06-2001 at 08:49 PM]

NaptownChief
01-06-2001, 08:51 PM
Hawaiian had the good fortune not to bet any Chiefs fans before this season or else he would be so broke he couldn't afford the internet access he is currently using...

hawaiianboy
01-06-2001, 09:22 PM
Joe.....

I don't usually wager with Chief fans......

they always want to pay off their debt with blocks of government cheese, aluminum cans and expired Piggly Wiggly coupons......

NaptownChief
01-06-2001, 09:29 PM
Flyin'

That's pretty funny cause I usually don't bet with Raider fans cause they usually try to pay off with stolen cell phones, skunked Colt 45, and food stamps...

[Edited by jl80 on 01-06-2001 at 09:33 PM]

hawaiianboy
01-06-2001, 09:39 PM
LOL....

The skunked Colt45 must come in handy......

Get blitzed enough and you may fool yourself into thinking there is a premeire RB on that roster...

ROYC75
01-07-2001, 09:58 AM
JQ

As the Rolling Stones says...Time is on my side! hahaha :D

KCWolfman
01-07-2001, 11:22 AM
JQ - LMAO!! Run the smack. You have earned it for a week. But I will gladly copy and paste my earlier statement after next weekend. Congrats on the win.

donkhater
01-07-2001, 03:06 PM
gh4chiefs..

Gannon subbed for Bono in the '95 playoff loss vs. the Colts. He really didn't do much better, but people don't seem to remember that.

But what about Dilfer!!! Leads his team to the AFC Championship game. He is clearly one of the best QB's in the game today.

And if that doesn't make you laugh, then your name is Packfan.

jcl-kcfan
01-07-2001, 07:11 PM
I seem to remember, in bono's last year, gannon was our starting QB at the end of the season.

It was the last game of the season, against the colts, the year after being embarrassed by them kicking us out of the playoffs.

If we won that game, we were in the playoffs, if we lost, we were out.

That there sounds pretty close to a playoff game to me (close enuff for a Chiefs bb anyways).

He goes down early in the game being replaced by a bonehead, oops, i mean bono.

He was a Chief, and he was our best QB THEN. Unfortunately, he wasn't quite tough enough in the biggest game he started for us.

We lost that game and didn't play in the playoffs.

A harbinger of things to come for the raiders in the near future, who knows, but we will soon see.

Packfan
01-08-2001, 12:04 PM
Donk Hater,

Gannon came in for the last series and nearly engineered a win. Lake Dawson dropped a touchdown pass, but Gannon got them into a postition for a field goal that would have tied the game.

We know the rest.

I think Oakland is going to the bowl. What a slap in the face for Carl and MANY chief fans that think Grbac is better than Gannon.

morphius
01-08-2001, 12:26 PM
Packfan - Driving down the field for a last minute field goal means nothing, per your statements about Grbac last year when our kicker missed the FG to send us into the playoff's.

Clint in Wichita
01-08-2001, 12:44 PM
I still can't believe that Gannon has everyone fooled into thinking he's an elite QB.

IMO most QBs could do what is asked of Gannon, except for maybe the scrambles, and even then they're usually the "run for 3 yards & slide feet first" variety. He is very rarely called upon to throw the ball more than 15 yards, which is lucky for him, because he can't.

I give Gruden all the credit for squeezing the maximum production possible out of Gannon. He will never, and has never, played better than he is right now.

He's still going to get his head caved in vs. the Ravens.

DaWolf
01-08-2001, 12:45 PM
Packfan,
Rich Gannon going to the bowl is no statement on Grbac. It is the statement on the entire Chiefs team compared to the entire Raiders team and their head coach.

I think the thing that convinced Marty at the time (Bono days) that Gannon was not the future was the pathetic effort he had on MNF against the Raiders in what ended up being I think the worst loss we suffered at the hands of the Raiders in the '90s. And if we know Marty, he does not like losing to the Raiders. Rich was actually very up and down in KC if people would only remember his bad games and the fact that he was only 11-8 as a starter here. Under Jon Gruden and that system and the No 1 running game the last two years, he has been extremely consistent. As has been proven many times this year, a running game can mean a world of difference as to how effective a QB is...

Cannibal
01-08-2001, 12:56 PM
The only thing that Grbac has on Gannon is arm strength and when compared to the rest of the league neither one of these journeymen have very strong arms.

Gannon is a better leader, more accurate, better at improvisation, more intelligent and much better scrambler.

Grbac has a stronger arm.

Gannon overall, is a better QB. However, if I had a choice, I wouldn't start my franchise with either one of them.

DaWolf
01-08-2001, 01:04 PM
Perhaps, but then again, if you take away Tyrone Wheatley and that Oakland running game from him and have Jimmy Raye calling plays, is Rich Gannon going to be throwing 28 TDs, 4000 yards, and leading his team anywhere?

morphius
01-08-2001, 01:05 PM
Clint - #16 scares me a bunch, because that is exactly how I feel about him. The only thing I see him do well is scramble and find the closest person to him to throw the ball too, nothing much impressive there. Gruden has done something we have not been able to do here, use our players what they are best at.

Cannibal
01-08-2001, 01:12 PM
Give Gannon Grbac's weapons and the OUTSTANDING pass protection Grbac received and I do believe he could put up similar numbers. Only I think he'd put up better numbers because he'd have a lot more rushing yards and rushing TD's and rushing 1st down conversions.

Gaz
01-08-2001, 01:21 PM
Cannibal-

I disagree with you there. Grbac's arm strength is far superior to Gannon's.

Gannon with Grbac protection would still be throwing short passes. Gannon is the master of the dinkdunk game and kudos to Gruden for adjusting the Raiders game to fit the QB.
Grbac with Gannon's rushing attack would light up the sky. We are finally rid of Raye and can hope to bring a balanced attack. I look at Grbac's numbers and marvel that he did that when the Enemy KNEW we were going to pass.

With Grbac, we could play the vertical game, the play action game or the balanced game.
With Gannon we could play the dinkdunk game. Period.

xoxo~
gaz
prefers more options on his O.

Cannibal
01-08-2001, 01:27 PM
Grbac with Gannon's pass protection would be laying in a morgue right about now.

Cannibal
01-08-2001, 01:34 PM
I know Gannon has a weak arm, but it's not as weak as everyone here makes it out to be. Gannon could run the Chiefs offense.

Gaz
01-08-2001, 01:39 PM
Cannibal-

What's your point?

Are you saying that Gannon's scrambling makes him a better QB? That his ability to run makes up for his noodle arm?

Because yesterday we saw a scrambling QB who cannot throw the long ball [McNair] and it was not pretty, was it?

xoxo~
gaz
wants a QB, not a RB who passes.

morphius
01-08-2001, 01:42 PM
Cannibal - Gannon could not run the current Chiefs O, not even close and I have no idea what makes you think he could.

DaWolf
01-08-2001, 01:42 PM
But he's not as effective. And again, take away the running game, and he will not be winning. The point with Grbac is to bring in a running game to compliment his passing and to start winning. I don't want Elvis to put up the big numbers...

Cannibal
01-08-2001, 01:45 PM
Morphius,

I disagree.

morphius
01-08-2001, 01:51 PM
Cannibal - Gannon could not run Marty's "chunks of yards" offense and when he played they went back to a more west coast dink and dunk offense that did not resemble the one they tried to run when Grbac was playing, where he was expected to throw the ball 10-15 yards minimum on every pass with some longer ones mixed in.

There is just no way Gannon could, he has never been able to run an offense like ours week in and week out, and that was true when he had Cris Carter and Jake Reed in their primes.

Gaz
01-08-2001, 02:00 PM
Gruden devised his Offense to take advantage of Gannon's strength [scrambling and cool] and minimize his weakness [arm strength]. Gannon is playing as well as he can right now.

Gunther and Raye could not make up their mind if we were a running team or a passing team. As a result, our Offense stunk badly at times. Grbac is not yet playing up to his potential because of the stupid OC and the lack of a rushing attack.

Give Grbac a legitimate rushing attack [a la Oakland] and you have a balanced attack. Both sides of the O feed off each other and the result is a confused Enemy and points on the board. Grbac needs a new OC [done deal, thank goodness] and a featured RB [in the works, hopefully].

Give Gannon pass protection and you still can only play the dinkdunk game. Gannon needs an OL [doable, since Oakland already solidified their kicking game] and a new arm [not possible, given the current level of medical science].

Grbac will continue to improve as his supporting cast improves.

Gannon will not.

Gimme Grbac.

xoxo~
gaz
was dragged kicking and screaming to the Grbac bandwagon.

Cannibal
01-08-2001, 02:07 PM
In 98, Gannon put up over 30 points per game with the "Chunks of Yards" offense.

I think what we have here is a lot of sour grapes for a ex-Chief player.

Gannon is a better QB. The league agrees with me. Otherwise Grbac would've been selected to the last two probowls in Gannon's place.

Quick comparison:

Gannon: 3430 yards - 28 tds - 11 ints - 529 rushing yards - 4 rushing tds - led league in rushing first down conversions among QB's.

Grbac: 4169 yards - 28 tds - 14 ints

Yes, Gannon has a better running game. However, Grbac has better receivers and pass protection.

They are both journeyman QB's who are playing good football right now.

Rick Stephens
01-08-2001, 02:15 PM
Maybe so far he has not lost a playoff game but has he ever been knocked out in a playoff game. By the time that the Ravens get through with him Sunday hopefully when they ask him where he is he'll say " I don't know."

I remember the last season that Blanda was the Raider quarterback and they bragged all season how the had protected him. When they came to Kansas City and played the Chiefs Buck Buchanan said that he had herd enough. Blanda under a tremendus pass rush tried to duck under Buchanan who picked him up, lifted him up and gave him an almost perfect piledriver and then fell on top of him. Blanda never played quarterback again. Hopefully the Ravens can to the same to Gannon.

Did I mention, I hate anybody who wears Silver and Black!!!

[Edited by Rick Stephens on 01-08-2001 at 02:32 PM]

Gaz
01-08-2001, 02:24 PM
Gannon is a better QB. The league agrees with me. Otherwise Grbac would've been selected to the last two probowls in Gannon's place.

I fail to see the logic is using the ProBowl as justification for your opinion on Grbac. How many times have undeserving players made the PB on reputation alone? And how many times have deserving players been stiffed because they do not have name recognition or play on a bad team?

This argument is so weak, I'm surprised it has the strength to stand.

xoxo~
gaz
scoffing.

morphius
01-08-2001, 02:30 PM
Cannibal - Your right, Tim Brown is nothing and that pRison guy, he has never done anything in his career. Just about as logical as saying that the Probowl is a great measuring stick.

Cannibal
01-08-2001, 02:32 PM
I guess it depends on your criteria for the QB position.

If you want a guy with a "strong" arm, but not much of anything else at all, Grbac and George are your guy.

If you want a guy that is intelligent, can make something out of nothing, lead his team, won't kill you w/ bonehead mistakes and throw the ball w/ accuracy, then Gannon is your man.

Throwing the football, I admit Grbac is better.

QB position as a whole, Gannon is better no doubt about it.

IMO...

Cannibal
01-08-2001, 02:34 PM
Tim Brown is 50 years old and Rison couldn't beat out rookie from a Div. IAA school here in KC.

While Alexander has come into his own and ranked in the top 5 at his position. And Gonzo is not only the best TE in the league, he one of the best WR's in the league.

Like I said, much of this thread is just sour grapes.

Gaz
01-08-2001, 02:36 PM
Cannibal-

If you limit the situation to the dinkdunk game ONLY, then I agree with you. Gannon is the superior QB.

If you want the vertical game [bombs away], then Grbac is the superior QB.

If you want a balanced attack, Grbac is still the superior QB, because he can throw the play action long ball, which is an integral part of a balanced attack.

IMO, too.

xoxo~
gaz
doesn't want to return to the dinkdunk game.

[Edited by Gaz on 01-08-2001 at 02:39 PM]

morphius
01-08-2001, 02:44 PM
Tim Brown too old? I hate the Raiders and I know this guy is good and always finds ways to be wide open, but I guess logic maybe doesn't apply with the "sour grapes" approach.

puhleeeze!

DaWolf
01-08-2001, 03:42 PM
Cannibal,
I totally disagree. Tim Brown is still one of the best recievers in the league. And Ritchie is arguably the best pass catching FB in the AFC. That little dumpoff he took to convert a first down on 3rd and 17 against us still pisses me off. I guaruntee you the Raider recievers do not drop as many passes as the chiefs recievers...

Cannibal
01-08-2001, 05:58 PM
Would Al Davis trade Tim Brown, Andre Rison and Ricky Dudley for Tony G. Slymo, and DA?

I guarantee you he would... with no doubts in my mind.

And BTW, Richie Anderson is the best pass receiving FB in the league, followed by Larry Centers and TRich.

Cannibal
01-08-2001, 06:01 PM
Ricky Dudley and Andre Rison alone drop more passes than all of the Chiefs recievers.