PDA

View Full Version : Netflix

ChiefsfaninPA
10-19-2006, 05:02 PM
I am thinking about using their service. Any info. pro and con would be appreciated.

JBucc
10-19-2006, 05:04 PM
:shrug: :rug: :bug: :thug: :hug: :tug: :mug: :glug: :lug: pug: :humbug: :slug: plug:

Brock
10-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Love it.

Adept Havelock
10-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Eh, Usenet is much cheaper.

ChiefsfaninPA
10-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Eh, Usenet is much cheaper.

How do they work?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Netflix is pretty good, but their shipping isn't quite as fast as advertised fro my experience. They have a very wide variety of films, but if you like foreign films or other less popular titles, they may be harder to come by.

TrickyNicky
10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
I live in manhattan, and the shipping is pretty fast. They have a lot of hard to find movies. The price isn't bad either if you watch 6-10 movies a month (depending on how many New Releases) it's about as expensive as going to blockbuster. If you really bust your ass and watch 11+ a month, the price gets better and better. It takes about 2 days to send one back and receive another. By that I mean the next movie is almost always in my mailbox on the third day.

MichaelH
10-19-2006, 05:48 PM
I have been getting Netflix for about 3 months now. I have no complaints. They have a huge selection and I get my selections two working days after I put the old ones in my mailbox. The only downside I can think of is you have to plan ahead. Say you want to watch a movie on Friday night. You have to make sure the old movies are in the mail Wednesday morning at the latest.

Adept Havelock
10-19-2006, 05:59 PM
How do they work?

Sorry, I was being a bit facetious. Usenet is the name for internet "newsgroups" where binary files of all types (mostly pirated) can be found.

Of course I would never advocate anyone doing such a dastardly thing. ;)

DJJasonp
10-19-2006, 06:20 PM
Netflix is great....but there's a dirty little secret they've been busted for ....it's called "throttling".....that means they get movies back out to people who dont watch as many dvd's a month faster than they do for people who watch a ton each month. They also try to get the "short wait" or "long wait" dvds out to those same people first as well...because they want to protect their $20 a month customers who dont watch as many dvds (more profit in those customers).

I've found that in months that I dont watch many dvds....I can return a dvd Monday and have a new one back Wednesday.....if in a month that I've watched quite a few...I might not get the movie back until Thursday...

It's a minor annoyance though I guess....I've been a customer for 2 years now and havent had much complaints....

I still wished they rented games too though...

Otter
10-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Been a member for a little over two years now and have little to complain about.

They have different plans as how to many DVDs you can rent at a time. My plan varies between the 1 at a time during the summer months and 3 at a time during the winter months.

After the free membership is over they'll start "throttling" your account.

What that means is that you won't be able to rent more than your plan allows in a weeks time. ex. if your on the three at a time plan you can't get more than three in any one weeks time. They'll simply delay shipping and arrival times.

They gigantic selection of films. In two years I've only had one occurrence where the film I wanted was unavailable. That includes foreign films as far as I could tell.

After tax the monthly fee for 3 a month is $19.07 and there is a distribution center located in the business district of Harrisburg so shipping times are usually next day.

Do the free trail. If you're a movie fan it's well worth it for the selection and convenience.

chagrin
10-19-2006, 07:54 PM
I found them to be quite useful, and my movies always arrived very quickly, I guess because I have a shipping warehouse an hour or so away, I don't know. But I like documentaries, and they had plenty of them. I recommend it, but you should probably step up and go for the "unlimited rental" option, however much that one is.

Ultra Peanut
10-19-2006, 07:54 PM
It's excellent.

Deberg_1990
10-19-2006, 07:58 PM
I like Blockbuster online. I get coupouns for 2 free rentals a month.

NJ Chief Fan
10-19-2006, 10:02 PM
get off your asses and go to the video store, no wonder americans are lazy and out of shape! why the hell would i want to wait to recieve a movie when i could just go to the video store and rent

Judge Smails
10-19-2006, 10:15 PM
I've had it for close to a year and have only a few minor complaints, such as not having the special edition of some dvds. But overall they've had every movie I've looked for and even some I did not expect.

However...

Intelliflix (http://www.intelliflix.com/index.dvd)

Same price, not quite as deep a selection, but they rent pron and video games.
I can't find a clever enough excuse to convince my wife to let us switch, yet.

Guru
10-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Netflix is great....but there's a dirty little secret they've been busted for ....it's called "throttling".....that means they get movies back out to people who dont watch as many dvd's a month faster than they do for people who watch a ton each month. They also try to get the "short wait" or "long wait" dvds out to those same people first as well...because they want to protect their $20 a month customers who dont watch as many dvds (more profit in those customers).

I've found that in months that I dont watch many dvds....I can return a dvd Monday and have a new one back Wednesday.....if in a month that I've watched quite a few...I might not get the movie back until Thursday...

It's a minor annoyance though I guess....I've been a customer for 2 years now and havent had much complaints....

www.gameznflix.com

Halfcan
10-19-2006, 10:23 PM

I wondered about that-sometimes an extra day in shipping for no apparent reason.

TrickyNicky
10-19-2006, 10:33 PM
I've had it for close to a year and have only a few minor complaints, such as not having the special edition of some dvds. But overall they've had every movie I've looked for and even some I did not expect.

However...

Intelliflix (http://www.intelliflix.com/index.dvd)

Same price, not quite as deep a selection, but they rent pron and video games.
I can't find a clever enough excuse to convince my wife to let us switch, yet.
*immediately switches over*

Saggysack
10-20-2006, 03:49 AM
I have had Netflix for almost 4yrs now, and loved every minute of it.

If you do decide to get it, when you return that DVD, make sure the barcode on the DVD sleeve is showing thru the open slot on the return envelope. That barcode is scanned at the post office and your next movie is sent out before the one you sent in is returned to Netflix. It helps quite a bit with turn around time.

MichaelH
10-20-2006, 04:44 AM
get off your asses and go to the video store, no wonder americans are lazy and out of shape! why the hell would i want to wait to recieve a movie when i could just go to the video store and rent

I like Netflix because they carry about every movie made instead of the newest Hollywood crap like the video store does. And I don't have to drive in traffic and wait for some $6 an hour dimwit to check me out.

Guru
10-20-2006, 04:55 AM
I like Netflix because they carry about every movie made instead of the newest Hollywood crap like the video store does. And I don't have to drive in traffic and wait for some $6 an hour dimwit to check me out.

Glad to know you don't want a $6 an hour dimwit checkin you out.

MichaelH
10-20-2006, 04:58 AM
Glad to know you don't want a $6 an hour dimwit checkin you out.

I'm sorry. Do you prefer movie distribution technician?

Guru
10-20-2006, 05:00 AM
I'm sorry. Do you prefer movie distribution technician?

Oh, now he has higher standards. I hope it is not a guy checkin you out. ROFL

Cormac
10-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Netflix is pretty good, but their shipping isn't quite as fast as advertised fro my experience. They have a very wide variety of films, but if you like foreign films or other less popular titles, they may be harder to come by.

Pretty funny complaint for a guy in koyaanisqatsi.

:p

Cormac
10-20-2006, 07:39 AM
PA,

Like most have said, netflix is a great service. We pay $17/mo and get 3 movies at all times. It's good because you can put all the "I always wanted to see that" movies in the queue and then they show up. Having said that I'm not much of a movie watcher, so it's kind of wasted on me.

ChiefsfaninPA
10-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the info. I am going to try out their free trial and see how I like it. I don't see much downside to it so I am sure I will get the unlimited plan just for the flexibility.

Fish
10-20-2006, 09:25 AM
If you do decide to get it, when you return that DVD, make sure the barcode on the DVD sleeve is showing thru the open slot on the return envelope. That barcode is scanned at the post office and your next movie is sent out before the one you sent in is returned to Netflix. It helps quite a bit with turn around time.

You know I always do that when I return my movies... although I never thought it would actually make a difference.... My obsessive-compulsive behavior pays off..... woot....