PDA

View Full Version : Mock Draft from NFLCountdown...

Coogs
10-20-2006, 08:57 AM
I know a lot of you are not interested in this type of stuff, but I like college football as well as the NFL. What I like about this draft site is the analysis they give on each of the players. Here it is...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

Brock
10-20-2006, 09:01 AM
I'd be okay with Branch or Jake Long.

Count Alex's Losses
10-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Rather have that WR from Notre Dame.

Coogs
10-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Oh.... one more note. I was listening to someone on the radio talking about the Cardinals, and they started talking about the top OT's in the draft the last few years. The last three top rated OT's prior to this past season (Jets) have all been busts. The ones from the Cardinals, the Bills, and the Raiders were all selected very high, and none have met the expectation level.

JBucc
10-20-2006, 09:05 AM
I'd be cool with him, Long, Jarret, hell even Polusnzy

Otter
10-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Maybe I'm biased but would you blame Brady Quinn if he pulled a Peyton Manning on Oakland?

I wouldn't want to start my career in that train wreck.

phisherman
10-20-2006, 09:08 AM
i like to call it, "pulling an elway"

Brock
10-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Oh.... one more note. I was listening to someone on the radio talking about the Cardinals, and they started talking about the top OT's in the draft the last few years. The last three top rated OT's prior to this past season (Jets) have all been busts. The ones from the Cardinals, the Bills, and the Raiders were all selected very high, and none have met the expectation level.

Yeah....what's up with that?

Easy 6
10-20-2006, 09:26 AM
I was pretty sure Gallery would be a monster from what i had seen leading up to the draft. Just goes to show what Unkl Al's Misguided Children will do to a guy.

Chiefnj
10-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Do those of you who watch college football really think Brady Quinn is so good? I've seen a couple of ND games this year and wasn't very impressed.

jspchief
10-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Rather have that WR from Notre Dame.Are you on drugs? It will likely take several years for a rookie WR to make an impact, while a lineman could be an immediate upgrade.

Get the WR through FA, the linemen through the draft.

jspchief
10-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Do those of you who watch college football really think Brady Quinn is so good? I've seen a couple of ND games this year and wasn't very impressed.No. I think he's a product of Weis' system. From what I've seen, he's not a real accurate passer, and can be a little jumpy in the pocket.

I think the appeal is that he's already playing in a pro style system, but in my unprofessional opinion, he's not going to be a great pro.

chagrin
10-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Heh, Go Blue baby! I would love to see this guy Pluggin up holes for our Defense. Have you all seen this guy play? Shit dude, he is agressive, gets after it, doesn't just sit there.

Side note, Cleveland and Tennesse would both have excellent drafts if they can land those guys from the mock. Braylon and Ginn Jr, that would kick ass, and then to have 2, young stud corners, God, why can't we have that?

chagrin
10-20-2006, 09:42 AM
No. I think he's a product of Weis' system. From what I've seen, he's not a real accurate passer, and can be a little jumpy in the pocket.

I think the appeal is that he's already playing in a pro style system, but in my unprofessional opinion, he's not going to be a great pro.

I agree

JBucc
10-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Do those of you who watch college football really think Brady Quinn is so good? I've seen a couple of ND games this year and wasn't very impressed.He's got a good arm and can rifle it into some tight spaces but I don't think he's #1 overall material. Even if he was the Raiders will tear him down and destroy his confidence anyway. He needs to be praying the Lions lose out so he can hook up with Mrs. Doubtfire.

Chiefnj
10-20-2006, 09:49 AM
With any luck some of the OTs and DTs will have poor workouts and slide down the charts like the OT's did in this years draft. Teams got some very good value out of players like McNeal and Trueblood.

Frankie
10-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Rather have that WR from Notre Dame.
Bite your tongue. LT or DT in the 1st. DT or LT in the 2nd.

Count Alex's Losses
10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Sorry. I think we badly need a franchise WR. Kennison is going to retire pretty soon. We've got NO ONE.

DaKCMan AP
10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Can't believe they don't have Marcus Thomas (DT, Florida) in the first round. The guy has been a MONSTER.

Brock
10-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Sorry. I think we badly need a franchise WR. Kennison is going to retire pretty soon. We've got NO ONE.

And who the hell do we have for a LT?

chagrin
10-20-2006, 10:03 AM

I kinda agree here too. We definitely need a true #1, but I don't think we should pick one first, conversely, we shouldn't be waiting until round 6 either.

JBucc
10-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Sorry. I think we badly need a franchise WR. Kennison is going to retire pretty soon. We've got NO ONE.If we did draft a WR I'd rather have Jarrett or Rice than Samardzja

Chiefnj
10-20-2006, 10:05 AM
For those of you wondering:

KC has no 4th round pick - Bennett - ugghhh.

KC has an extra 6th round pick from Dallas for Fujita.

ChiTown
10-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Sorry, but I think we need an OT much more than we need a DT at this point. Matter of fact, I think we need 2.

Chiefnj
10-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Sorry, but I think we need an OT much more than we need a DT at this point. Matter of fact, I think we need 2.

What leads you to believe Sampson can't continue to improve and hold down the RT spot?

jiveturkey
10-20-2006, 10:27 AM
This is a tough year because we have serious needs on both sides of the ball.

OT, WR, G, C

DT, CB

Here's how I prioritize them: OT, DT, WR, CB, C, G

Someone like Welborne can take Shields spot next year and whipe that spot off of the priority list. This might allow us to go after two DT's or two OT's early.

Brock
10-20-2006, 10:32 AM
What leads you to believe Sampson can't continue to improve and hold down the RT spot?

What leads you to believe he can? They aren't bringing back Roid Boy for no reason.

Frankie
10-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah, Randy Moss is doing wonders for the Raiders!

KChiefs1
10-20-2006, 10:37 AM
I want Ted Ginn Jr on the Chiefs next season!

Chiefnj
10-20-2006, 11:20 AM
What leads you to believe he can? They aren't bringing back Roid Boy for no reason.

I thought he has played fairly well the last two games.

CupidStunt
10-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Alan Branch is a beast. I was pimping him way before the stock rise and will be in April.

Get 'er done, Carl.

ct
10-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Bite your tongue. LT or DT in the 1st. DT or LT in the 2nd.

Amen Brutha!!

Mr. Laz
10-20-2006, 12:33 PM
tackles is what we need ..... DT and OT

Edwards knows defense so he might as well use that knowledge to build a mighty defense.

free agents for offense
draft for defense

BigChiefFan
10-20-2006, 12:34 PM
We still need a WR desperately. That said, LT would be my choice and Baker seems like a good fit.

CosmicPal
10-20-2006, 12:37 PM
2007 Free Agent WR's

Drew Bennett, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Bennett might not be considered a special wide receiver in NFL circles, but the UCLA product has great size and good hands as a second receiving option. An uncanny connection with quarterback Billy Volek in 2004 helped Bennett to 1,247 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns. With the drafting of Vince Young, Volek won’t be playing much for the Titans in the near future, so Bennett could easily move on—to a team ready to compete in the present. Several teams could use Bennett to compliment a smaller and faster receiver, and if used properly, Bennett can put up strong numbers once again. To see Bennett back in Tennessee would be quite unexpected.

Kevin Curtis, UFA, St. Louis Rams
It is likely that Curtis hangs around St. Louis. He’s being used more and more in the offense and Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt are only getting older. If Curtis leaves the Rams, it will be because he doesn’t feel utilized enough and another team wants his services with a nice pay check offer. The Rams may just work an extension and save the trouble of Curtis looking around in the off season, but if Curtis does hit the market, he’ll make a solid second wide receiver for a team willing to use his speed in the right way

Other Free Agent Wide Receivers
Marc Boerigter, UFA, Green Bay Packers
David Boston, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tyrone Calico, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Patrick Crayton, RFA, Dallas Cowboys
Andre' Davis, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Bobby Engram, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Justin Gage, UFA, Chicago Bears
D.J. Hackett, RFA, Seattle Seahawks
Keenan McCardell, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Shaun McDonald, UFA, St. Louis Rams
Samie Parker, RFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Jerome Pathon, UFA, Atlanta Falcons
Willie Ponder, UFA, New York Giants
Edell Shepherd, RFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Travis Taylor, UFA, Minnesota Vikings
Scottie Vines, RFA, Detroit Lions
Bobby Wade, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Peter Warrick, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Kelley Washington, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Alvis Whitted, UFA, Oakland Raiders
Ernest Wilford, RFA, Jacksonville Jaguars

CosmicPal
10-20-2006, 12:39 PM
2007 Free Agent OL's

Max Starks RFA Pittsburgh Steelers
Starks is a starting tackle for a Super Bowl champion. That’s enough in itself to get some teams a little excited about the prospects of acquiring him. The fact that Starks is young, talented, and massive in stature—listed at 6’8”, 337 lbs.—just adds to the excitement pile. Another lineman that shouldn’t be going anywhere as the Steelers will not let Starks go without a fight. The best bet is that Starks will decide he wants to stay in Pittsburgh and sign an extension. If he hits the market, there will be a team or two willing to pay a big amount to entice the tackle to relocate.

Leonard Davis UFA Arizona Cardinals
Davis is a massive tackle that the Cardinals can’t afford to lose to free agency. The Arizona offensive line is already suspect, and losing Davis would be a huge step in the wrong direction, but the team may have to let him go and find a replacement if they aren’t prepared to offer decent money. Davis has shown the ability to simply be a wall of protection for his quarterback and while teams might not line up for the chance to sign him, anyone looking for a tackle will have him high on the list. The Cardinals are more than likely going to push to re-sign him before he hits the market.

Mike Gandy, UFA, Buffalo Bills
A relatively young starting left tackle, Gandy had been blocking for Willis McGahee over the past two seasons, and this season could go a long way in making Gandy an appealing free agent. He has talent, but isn’t considered among the league’s best linemen. However, a decent starting left tackle doesn’t just drop from the sky, so expect him to garner interest from a handful of teams, if Buffalo doesn’t re-sign him before the market opens.

Other Free Agent Offensive Linemen
Jordan Black, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Dwayne Carswell, UFA, Denver Broncos
Derrick Dockery, UFA, Washington Redskins
Nat Dorsey, RFA, Cleveland Browns
Chris Gray, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Norm Katnik, RFA, New York Jets
Ryan Lilja, RFA, Indianapolis Colts
Sean Locklear, RFA, Seattle Seahawks
Vincent Manuwai, UFA, Jacksonville Jaguars
Roman Oben, UFA, San Diego Chargers
Brian Rimpf, RFA, Baltimore Ravens
Eric Steinbach, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Todd Steussie, UFA, St. Louis Rams
Floyd Womack, UFA, Seattle Seahawks

Mr. Laz
10-20-2006, 12:39 PM
2007 Free Agent WR's

man, that's an ugly looking list

CosmicPal
10-20-2006, 12:40 PM
2007 Free Agent DL's

Dwight Freeney, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Freeney originally signed for seven years in 2002, but having reached certain incentive levels in his contract has voided the final two seasons, making him a free agent at the end of this season. Freeney has posted double-digit sack totals in each of his four seasons, and has forced 23 fumbles in that time. He’s arguably the best defensive end in the league, and at worst is one of the top pass rushers around. He’s missed just one game in his career and plays with an incredible motor. With some of the best speed at his position, many teams will be lining up for a shot at a player that can apply pressure on the quarterback quite often.

Jared Allen, RFA, Kansas City Chiefs
The top defensive lineman that will see the market, Allen, has posted totals of 9 and 11 in the sack department over the past two seasons. The Chiefs will do everything in their power to keep him, but teams on the outside looking in could see Allen as a free agent must. He’s young, plays with a big motor, and puts pressure on the quarterback often, evidenced by his 7 forced fumbles last season. Teams will line up for the type of player that Allen is, and being an RFA doesn’t change that much. Allen makes the list because of his talent, but it’s difficult to imagine that the Chiefs would allow him to slip away on the market. Expect the Chiefs to negotiate a contract extension or possibly use the franchise tag if Allen has another great season.

Vonnie Holliday, UFA, Miami Dolphins
He’s been an effective defensive tackle throughout his career, and when Holliday hits the market, his experience, talent, and size will make him a desirable option for teams that need defensive interior run support. Miami won’t want to lose him, as they have a collection of veteran players who could help make a Super Bowl push in the next few seasons, but Holliday can command a decent dollar amount if he seeks a new employer. Don’t be surprised to see the Dolphins re-sign him before free agency.

Other Free Agent Defensive Lineman
Edward Jasper, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles
Chad Lavalais, RFA, Atlanta Falcons
Cory Redding, UFA, Detroit Lions
Terdell Sands, UFA, Oakland Raiders
Hollis Thomas, UFA, New Orleans Saints

CosmicPal
10-20-2006, 12:41 PM
2007 Free Agent DB's

Nate Clements, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Clements should be the top target of teams looking for help in the secondary. He’s young, highly regarded, and very talented. Buffalo would like nothing more than to have him signed to an extension as quickly as possible, but his talent—he does have two Pro Bowl selections—may lead him to test the market. Without an extension, the Bills must decide if they are willing to franchise tag Clements once again to guarantee his presence on the gridiron for one more season. Since Clements has not been adversely affected by NFL officiating changes, most NFL teams will pursue the cornerback if he hits the market.

Other Free Agent Cornerbacks
Roc Alexander, RFA, Denver Broncos
Jordan Babineaux, RFA, Seattle Seahawks
Jason David, RFA, Indianapolis Colts
Randall Gay, RFA, New England Patriots
Nick Harper, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
David Macklin, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Asante Samuel, UFA, New England Patriots

CosmicPal
10-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Don't be surprised if we pick up a free agent QB in the offseason. We'll need someone other than Huard with some experience.

2007 Free Agent QB's

Matt Schaub, RFA, Atlanta Falcons
The free agent quarterback class is light in 2007, but teams in true need of a field general may be highly interested in Schaub. He has an NFL arm and has shown flashes of possibly being a legitimate quality starting quarterback. It is likely that just a handful of teams would aggressively pursue Schaub, but if someone is willing to pay decent money and forfeit a draft pick for Schaub, he could be lured away from his spot behind Michael Vick. In the end, Schaub’s chances of re-signing with the Falcons don’t look good, as Schaub will pursue a bigger role in another offense.

Chris Simms, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Simms is coming off a decent season in Tampa Bay in which he completed 61% of his passes, but the fast approaching 2006 season will go a long way in determining how welcome Simms will be in the Bucs’ locker room. Jon Gruden is well respected around the league, but he’s also not afraid to let you know if you’re in his doghouse. Simms will need to continue to complete passes if he wants to stay in Tampa Bay. Outsiders might find appeal in the quarterback, even with a poor season, if they think the growth potential is there. In the end, Simms will do just enough to warrant a contract offer from the Bucs, but he still could sign elsewhere if the money is right.

Other Free Agent Quarterbacks
Rohan Davey, RFA, Arizona Cardinals
Shaun King, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
John Navarre, RFA, Arizona Cardinals
Patrick Ramsey, UFA, New York Jets
Tim Rattay, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Seneca Wallace, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Anthony Wright, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals

Chiefnj
10-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Does anyone have a link to StatsInc's OL statistics where it shows sacks given up by linemen?

Thanks.

Coogs
10-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Last season the Bears had one of the best Defenses in the NFL, and also one of the worst offenses. And look at their first 5 draft picks from last season...

1 Danieal Manning DB Abilene Christian
2 Devin Hester WR Miami (FL)
3 Dusty Dvoracek DT Oklahoma
4 Jamar Williams LB Arizona State
5 Mark Anderson DE Alabama

I would not be surprised to see us go heavy on defense as well, since Herm has said we need 3 more defenders to be a dominate defense.

Mr. Laz
10-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Don't be surprised if we pick up a free agent QB in the offseason. We'll need someone other than Huard with some experience.
you think Trent isn't coming back??

Green,Huard,Croyle looks to be our QB rotation until Green leaves.

CosmicPal
10-20-2006, 12:50 PM
you think Trent isn't coming back??

My guess is as good as anyone's right now. I've heard he'll retire in a few weeks, I've heard he's coming back in a couple of weeks, I've heard so many conflicting stories it's hard to tell if and when he's coming back, if he's coming back at all.

Coogs
10-20-2006, 12:51 PM
As far as the OT's on our team goes, and after reading the piece on Thomas from Wisconsin. Do we need to draft OT's that are better run blockers or pass blockers?

SNR
10-20-2006, 12:53 PM
We desperately need youth on offense. We can't wait until the later rounds and draft a "project" OL like we do every damn draft and hope he pans out. Spend our good picks on a ****ing monster LT.

JBucc
10-20-2006, 12:53 PM
We should draft Aaron Fairooz in the 7th or sign him as a FA if he doesn't get drafted. That would make me happy.

StcChief
10-20-2006, 12:57 PM
LT,OG,DT

Brock
10-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Does anyone have a link to StatsInc's OL statistics where it shows sacks given up by linemen?

Thanks.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/findplayer.asp

tackles.

Mr. Laz
10-20-2006, 01:07 PM
LT,OG,DT
i just don't see how we can go guard .... we gotta be able to fine one in all the guys we have already.

htismaqe
10-20-2006, 01:23 PM
We absolutely CAN draft an OG, the best place to find a good one is in the 3rd or 4th round. Leaving the 1st and 2nd round to address LT and DT.

ChiefsCountry
10-20-2006, 01:49 PM
We need to build the OL back up, a good OL and can make crappy WRs, Rbs etc look decent.

Brock
10-20-2006, 01:51 PM
We need to build the OL back up, a good OL and can make crappy WRs, Rbs etc look decent.

Yeah....huh?

Chiefs Pantalones
10-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Shred me, but I wouldn't mind dumping Trent in the offseason and getting Schuab from Atlanta.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-20-2006, 01:57 PM
We have to draft a LT in the first round, unless the value for the DT is too tough to pass up. I'm not afraid of using a 2nd rounder on a WR, but at this point we need to use the first two rounds to address the holes on the exterior of the O-line and the interior of the d-line.

We aren't going to be able to improve at WR in the offseason. We just aren't. We need to reconcile ourselves to that fact and hope, hope, that Parker and Webb develop into servicable options and Eddie can keep up his level of playing for another year. We should spend the middle rounds of the draft for the interior of the O-Line, and the late rounds in the secondary.

ChiefsCountry
10-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Yeah....huh?

See the Chiefs WRs for the past few years and our rbs in the 90's.

Count Alex's Losses
10-20-2006, 03:05 PM
We absolutely CAN draft an OG, the best place to find a good one is in the 3rd or 4th round. Leaving the 1st and 2nd round to address LT and DT.

Black will be the starter at RG next year anyway.

I still think we'd be best served getting a stud WR in the first round. You can find a tackle in the 2nd round. San Diego sure did.

htismaqe
10-20-2006, 04:56 PM

I still think we'd be best served getting a stud WR in the first round. You can find a tackle in the 2nd round. San Diego sure did.

There's no way we should spend a 1st round pick on a WR. Even the ones that DO pan out don't generally do so right away.

keg in kc
10-20-2006, 05:56 PM
free agents for offense
draft for defenseThat's what I'm hoping for. The offense we had was a result of good free agency and trade moves. I hope we can (somehow) acquire our franchise LT that way. I think it's much easier for a defensive player to become integrated and contribute because, while there is a degree of a learning curve, it's nothing like what exists on the offensive side. Defense is primarily about recognition and reaction, and players on the line, in particular, can have immediate impact.

Branch is a beast. Although I'm biased, Michigan fan and all.

And while we do need to think about the future (and present) of the WR position, the success or failure of the offense ultimately boils down to pass protection and run blocking. If the choice is a franchise left tackle or a franchise WR, we need the tackle way, way, way, way, way, way more. Good lines turn units with average players into top-5 units (we've seen it here...). Bad lines kill offenses, turn star players into has-been's or never-were's and average players into sucking vacuum.

suds79
10-20-2006, 05:57 PM

Yuck. Having Jordan Black anywhere on the O-line is suicide in my book.

I sometimes wonder if we'd be better off playing with 4 down linemen instead.

Frankie
10-20-2006, 06:35 PM
2007 Free Agent WR's
Travis Taylor, UFA, Minnesota Vikings

His name sooo fits the Chiefs (ala Otis Taylor). I just wish he played as well as Otis x 80%. What a waste of a great WR name.

Frankie
10-20-2006, 06:38 PM
2007 Free Agent DL's

Dwight Freeney, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Freeney originally signed for seven years in 2002, but having reached certain incentive levels in his contract has voided the final two seasons, making him a free agent at the end of this season. Freeney has posted double-digit sack totals in each of his four seasons, and has forced 23 fumbles in that time. He’s arguably the best defensive end in the league, and at worst is one of the top pass rushers around. He’s missed just one game in his career and plays with an incredible motor. With some of the best speed at his position, many teams will be lining up for a shot at a player that can apply pressure on the quarterback quite often.

Jared Allen, RFA, Kansas City Chiefs
The top defensive lineman that will see the market, Allen, has posted totals of 9 and 11 in the sack department over the past two seasons. The Chiefs will do everything in their power to keep him, but teams on the outside looking in could see Allen as a free agent must. He’s young, plays with a big motor, and puts pressure on the quarterback often, evidenced by his 7 forced fumbles last season. Teams will line up for the type of player that Allen is, and being an RFA doesn’t change that much. Allen makes the list because of his talent, but it’s difficult to imagine that the Chiefs would allow him to slip away on the market. Expect the Chiefs to negotiate a contract extension or possibly use the franchise tag if Allen has another great season.

Vonnie Holliday, UFA, Miami Dolphins
He’s been an effective defensive tackle throughout his career, and when Holliday hits the market, his experience, talent, and size will make him a desirable option for teams that need defensive interior run support. Miami won’t want to lose him, as they have a collection of veteran players who could help make a Super Bowl push in the next few seasons, but Holliday can command a decent dollar amount if he seeks a new employer. Don’t be surprised to see the Dolphins re-sign him before free agency.

Other Free Agent Defensive Lineman
Edward Jasper, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles
Chad Lavalais, RFA, Atlanta Falcons
Cory Redding, UFA, Detroit Lions
Terdell Sands, UFA, Oakland Raiders
Hollis Thomas, UFA, New Orleans Saints

I'd take Vonnie Holliday and Terdell Sands.

Frankie
10-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Shields was a 3rd rounder.

htismaqe
10-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Shields was a 3rd rounder.

Szott was a 7th rounder.

Frankie
10-20-2006, 06:56 PM
I was supporting your point that good guards could be drafted in later rounds, htismaqe.

L.A. Chieffan
10-20-2006, 07:13 PM
HA! This thing says we've done a tremendous job upgrading our D, and then it mentions Kendrell Bell.

WHAT?!

milkman
10-20-2006, 09:12 PM
That's what I'm hoping for. The offense we had was a result of good free agency and trade moves. I hope we can (somehow) acquire our franchise LT that way. I think it's much easier for a defensive player to become integrated and contribute because, while there is a degree of a learning curve, it's nothing like what exists on the offensive side. Defense is primarily about recognition and reaction, and players on the line, in particular, can have immediate impact.

Branch is a beast. Although I'm biased, Michigan fan and all.

And while we do need to think about the future (and present) of the WR position, the success or failure of the offense ultimately boils down to pass protection and run blocking. If the choice is a franchise left tackle or a franchise WR, we need the tackle way, way, way, way, way, way more. Good lines turn units with average players into top-5 units (we've seen it here...). Bad lines kill offenses, turn star players into has-been's or never-were's and average players into sucking vacuum.

I agree with you wholeheartedly here, on every point.

I've only seen Branch in one game, and he certainly looked like a beast then.
But it seems to be a consensus opinion.

htismaqe
10-20-2006, 09:22 PM
I was supporting your point that good guards could be drafted in later rounds, htismaqe.

I was adding further emphasis. :thumb:

Ultra Peanut
10-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Someone is going to get an amazing bargain if Willis falls to the 20s.

HemiEd
10-20-2006, 09:58 PM
They have us drafting ahead of Arizona. LMAO

carlos3652
10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
did anyone pick up on the fact that Arizona is 1-5 and they are going to pick #14...??? Chiefs #11 hmm...

That makes no sense... I see us with a #15-19 pick...

htismaqe
10-20-2006, 10:11 PM
The thing I like about Branch is that he has alot of what Gabe Watson brought to the table last year - size, physical ability, strength - without some of the question marks.

JBucc
10-20-2006, 10:15 PM
The ads on that page are out of control. Anyway here's my ultimate homerific mock draft for the Chiefs.
1. Branch DT Michigan
2. Aaron Sears OT Tennessee
3. Mike Otto OT Purdue
5. Marcus Monk WR Arkansas
6. Sam Olujabutu LB Arkansas
6. Josh Wilson CB Maryland
7. Aaron Fairooz WR UCA

Be advised besides the AR people and Branch I just picked random names from their rankings so this may be slightly inaccurate.

edit: and we're going to bring in Skinner so he can teach Colquitt a funky pre-snap pose.

carlos3652
10-20-2006, 10:17 PM

Nice, I wish I would read the thread first.. lol

milkman
10-20-2006, 10:19 PM

I don't believe it's that far fetched.

HemiEd
10-20-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't believe it's that far fetched.

Well that is a downer, how far have we ****ing fallen?!?! Is Lionhart that good or are we that bad?

HemiEd
10-20-2006, 10:29 PM
did anyone pick up on the fact that Arizona is 1-5 and they are going to pick #14...??? Chiefs #11 hmm...

That makes no sense... I see us with a #15-19 pick...

should have, but I am slamming beers. :hail: :moon:

milkman
10-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Well that is a downer, how far have we ****ing fallen?!?! Is Lionhart that good or are we that bad?

I think the Cards are a better team than they've shown so far, and I think the Chiefs ARE that bad.

keg in kc
10-20-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't think we'll draft any lower than 16. I don't see us as worse than 8-8. Last week was the opposite of the SF game, and I'd say reality lies somewhere between the two. And I think the defense is only going to get better as the year goes on.

sedated
10-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Are you on drugs? It will likely take several years for a rookie WR to make an impact, while a lineman could be an immediate upgrade.

Get the WR through FA, the linemen through the draft.

definitely.

There are so many 1st round WR busts.

and this system would be especially difficult on a young WR.

we need OLine and DT. picks and FA's

HemiEd
10-20-2006, 11:26 PM
I think the Cards are a better team than they've shown so far, and I think the Chiefs ARE that bad.

I agree with the first part and don't want to believe the second part. I think Sunday we should run out of excuses one way or another.

If they don't come ready to play, they did not last Sunday and against the Bengals IMO, then we can forget this year.

the Talking Can
10-20-2006, 11:49 PM
...If the choice is a franchise left tackle or a franchise WR, we need the tackle way, way, way, way, way, way more. Good lines turn units with average players into top-5 units (we've seen it here...). Bad lines kill offenses, turn star players into has-been's or never-were's and average players into sucking vacuum.

BINGO
:clap:

Strong teams have strong lines. We need a DT/LT...in any order, take the best player...

all those FA's look like garbage....ugh, we need a WR somehow..

Tribal Warfare
10-20-2006, 11:56 PM
BPA, I'm not into getting "need" players.

htismaqe
10-21-2006, 07:04 AM
BPA, I'm not into getting "need" players.

In this day and age, you have to balance the two.

Frankie
10-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Strong teams have strong lines. We need a DT/LT...in any order, take the best player...AMEN!

all those FA's look like garbage....ugh, we need a WR somehow..It may be only a gut feeling. But I have a lot of hope for Jeff Webb developing into a pretty good WR. And quickly too.

Mecca
10-21-2006, 01:55 PM
I don't like this mock.....the best player on the board at our pick is Dwayne Jarrett.......

As many needs as the Chiefs have it should be BPA other than safety, RB or DE.....

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't like this mock.....the best player on the board at our pick is Dwayne Jarrett.......

USC, baby :drool:

Brock
10-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Maybe the chiefs could trade a couple of bags of ice for Mike Williams.

milkman
10-21-2006, 03:04 PM

As many needs as the Chiefs have it should be BPA other than safety, RB or DE.....

Living in Kalifornia, USC is on TV here every week.

Jarrett looks like a guy that could be a pretty good, or even very good, receiver in the NFL.

But he doesn't have nearly the potential to impact the offense now, or in the future, the way that Branch could impact the defense, both in the short and long term.

If we drafted anyone from that USC team in the frst round, I'd much rather take Sam Baker.

Tribal Warfare
10-21-2006, 04:21 PM
In this day and age, you have to balance the two.

Hence, KC's draft has looked like shit when it concerns drafting need players instead of the BPA. If one wants to plug holes then I'd rather do it in FA.

milkman
10-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Hence, KC's draft has looked like shit when it concerns drafting need players instead of the BPA. If one wants to plug holes then I'd rather do it in FA.

That is not the reason that the draft has been shitty.

The Chiefs have had so many needs in the last decade, the BPA almost always fills a need.

Hell, when the next draft rolls along, the reality will be that nearly every position on the field will be a position of need, with, perhaps, a couple of exceptions.

keg in kc
10-21-2006, 04:49 PM
How many actual need picks have the Chiefs made recently?

Lest we forget, need and BAA aren't mutually exclusive concepts, either. Personally, I like to merge the two into best available athlete at a position of need. Either way, just because we pick a player at an obvious position of need doesn't mean that guy wasn't the BAA on the Chiefs' board. Derrick Johnson certainly was. And I'd imagine Hali was. They seem to be working out okay.

Frankie
10-21-2006, 04:56 PM
If there is any year our first two draft picks need to be for the positions of need it's this year. Those positions are topped by LT and DT.

Tribal Warfare
10-21-2006, 06:03 PM
How many actual need picks have the Chiefs made recently?

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/chiefs.html

Sims, Siavii,Freeman, Eric Downing, Snoop Minnis

keg in kc
10-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Sims was the top player on their board, whether he was a need pick or not. They didn't give him the number 90 for no reason. And lest we forget, most (in and outside KC) thought Sims was a good pick when it was made. It's easy to be a 'draft expert' in retrospect and talk about how bad it turned out.

And he was the only one on that list I'd agree with. You're talking about 2nd and 3rd round picks after that, and that's outside the context of the discussion.

However, if you want to take the conversation in that direction, then the fact is that none of the guys you named other than Sims were need picks. They were all project players, none expected to contribute immediately. That's BAA in spades, taking physical talent and long-term potential over players with a lower upside who fit an immediate hole. They missed on those players, obviously, but it doesn't change the fact that none of them were need picks.

A player like Hali is a need pick. Although he also happened to be the BAA on their board (according to them). Ditto for Sims.

Frankie
10-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Sims was the top player on their board, whether he was a need pick or not. And lest we forget, most (in and outside KC) thought Sims was a good pick when it was made. It's easy to be a 'draft expert' in retrospect and talk about how bad it turned out.

Sims was on EVERY draft expert and NFL team's board as a top ten pick. That's one pick I won't blame Carl about. Everyone of this bb (including myself) were quite excited that we maneuvered the pick in front of the Vikes to get him.

keg in kc
10-21-2006, 06:55 PM
The idea I really want to get across is the fact that a player fills a need doesn't automatically exclude him from also being the best player on their board.

And along another line, the fact that a player may not be the best player on your board or my board or some website's board means exactly nothing. The Chiefs draft off their board. And, again on the topic of 'need', I certainly don't recall them drafting a bunch of NFL-ready, talented but low upside picks, which is what need picks are - players who've basically reached their full potential in college, who are NFL ready, but probably won't ever be superstars.

Which, frankly, we could have used a few of over the last 10 years. We have way too many picks that simply did nothing for us.

Tribal Warfare
10-21-2006, 06:58 PM
A player like Hali is a need pick. Although he also happened to be the BAA on their board (according to them). Ditto for Sims.

Hali was also the BPA too, and I told you guys this last march. Plus, that th reaches and misfires directly show in the draft with the plethra of DTs drafted

Tribal Warfare
10-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Everyone of this bb (including myself) were quite excited that we maneuvered the pick in front of the Vikes to get him.

Really? I wasn't, I wanted John Henderson

keg in kc
10-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Hali was also the BPA too,Yeah, I said that, I just use different terminology - I say BAA (best avail. ath.) instead of BPA.

Not everyone would necessarily agree that he was, but they thought he was, and that's what counts in the end.

What I'm trying to say is that I think we've always drafted BAA. And I think we've missed a lot. Don't misinterpret that as me saying BAA is the wrong approach, the problem in my mind is that too many of our day one picks have been coach's choice rather than relying on our scouting staff. That goes for Sims (Vermeil), Freeman (Robinson), Downing (Robinson), Wilson (Saunders), Siavii (Cunningham), Mitchell (Vermeil) and several others, I'm sure. For whatever reason, they got convinced that all those guys were going to become studs eventually. And of course, out of all those, only Mitchell has, so far, turned into anything.

So many projects, so few guys ready to go...

milkman
10-21-2006, 07:08 PM
Really? I wasn't, I wanted John Henderson

I wanted Henderson also.

However, that doesn't change the fact that Sims was almost universally considered the BPA on the board at the time of that selection.

keg in kc
10-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Really? I wasn't, I wanted John HendersonI wanted Wendell Bryant. But I was happy when we got Sims because I thought all of those guys were going to turn out to be good.

In the end, I'm not convinced any of them would've done anything here, not on his own. There's a reason the defense is finally starting to turn, and I think that's because of the nearly total roster turnover. I think the time for a DT is now, with two established ends, a talented core of LBs and a veteran secondary.

Mr. Laz
10-21-2006, 07:38 PM
the chiefs haven't drafted so poorly because of putting need above talent ... there has always been multiple players at the same position they could of taken.

some turned out, some didn't

the chiefs drafted poorly because they did a crappy job of evaluating talent.... had nothing to do with position.

ie sims ... there were have half a dozen defensive tackles they could of taken.

savaii ... also tons of other tackles available

it goes on and on ..... bad talent evaluation

CupidStunt
10-22-2006, 04:57 AM
Alan Branch was bitchin' again yesterday.

Draft this mofo. **** all the receivers.

Sfeihc
10-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Branch isn't No tryin', always cryin', POS Ryan Sims.

Branch destroys plays and whomever has the ball.

milkman
10-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Alan Branch was bitchin' again yesterday.

Draft this mofo. **** all the receivers.

I agree with you, and I feel dirty about it.

CupidStunt
10-22-2006, 09:34 AM
You're welcome on the bandwagon. It's full steam ahead right now and we're getting kind of crowded.

Coogs
10-22-2006, 10:09 AM
You're welcome on the bandwagon. It's full steam ahead right now and we're getting kind of crowded.

Count me in. I also watched the NC State game yesterday. Tank Tyler was pretty impressive as well. He is moving up the boards, and is now a possible first day pick. If we need two DT's, and could get Branch in the 1st and Tank in the 3rd, I think we could have a front 4 that would rival the Bears.

milkman
10-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Count me in. I also watched the NC State game yesterday. Tank Tyler was pretty impressive as well. He is moving up the boards, and is now a possible first day pick. If we need two DT's, and could get Branch in the 1st and Tank in the 3rd, I think we could have a front 4 that would rival the Bears.

I wonder how far Justin Harrell will fall as the result of his injury?

CupidStunt
10-22-2006, 10:29 AM

:hmmm:

http://www.vwenthusiast.com/yabbse/attachments/homer-drool.gif

Frankie
10-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Count me in. I also watched the NC State game yesterday. Tank Tyler was pretty impressive as well. He is moving up the boards, and is now a possible first day pick.
What school?

Frankie
10-22-2006, 10:35 AM
What school?
Never mind. You did say NC State.
:redface:

milkman
10-22-2006, 01:36 PM
With Allen and Hali, Branch would make the Cheifs D-Line one of the premiere lines in the league.

Mecca
10-22-2006, 03:22 PM
With Allen and Hali, Branch would make the Chiefs D-Line one of the premiere lines in the league.

You should inform the Chiefs not to go 7-9 or 8-8 then because they'll miss the chance at drafting these guys....

Mr. Laz
10-22-2006, 03:56 PM
With Allen and Hali, Branch would make the Chiefs D-Line one of the premiere lines in the league.
that might be a bit of a stretch

but Hali,Branch,Edwards,Allen might make our defensive line a positive instead of a negative.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-22-2006, 04:01 PM
The only thing that you can kill KC for re: the Sims selection is the relationship that Vermeil had w/ Bunting. But even with that having been said, Sims was considered a good pick at the time. It's hard to bust our balls over that one. Sometimes EVERYONE is wrong when evaluating a player, and we were unlucky enough to roll the snakeyes that time.

Frankie
10-22-2006, 04:38 PM
You should inform the Chiefs not to go 7-9 or 8-8 then because they'll miss the chance at drafting these guys....
Secretly I'm hoping Tank Tyler is a Tamba Hali of DTs so we CAN get him in the mid-round. I already love his name. Gotta read up about this guy.