PDA

View Full Version : 'Martyball' not required in KC

Count Zarth
10-20-2006, 04:24 PM
When the Kansas City Chiefs pass: Damon Huard is coming off his worst start of the season. The Chiefs were unable to move the ball through the air with any consistency last week against Pittsburgh. It won't get any easier against a San Diego front seven that has been terrorizing quarterbacks all year long. Charger opponents have been sacked a staggering 21 times in just 150 dropbacks.

San Diego's primary pass rushers are outside linebackers Shawne Merriman (5.5 sacks) and Shaun Phillips (six sacks). They'll rush from the edge in a 3-4 or put their hands down as defensive ends in a 4-3. They'll flip-flop sides or come up the middle. It's a scary proposition for any offensive line. But it gets worse when you take a look at the three down linemen that the Chargers field.

Typically, the linemen in a 3-4 scheme are not known as pass rushers. While no Charger defensive end or tackle is going to amass 15 sacks this year, the starting trio of Igor Olshansky (out for this game), Luis Castillo and Jamal Williams can push the pocket with the best of them and are surprisingly quick for their size. They've mopped up a number of quarterbacks desperately trying to escape from Phillips and Merriman.

San Diego's secondary is average, but more often than not, it's difficult to take advantage of given the relentless Charger pass rush. The Chiefs have a major, major mismatch on their hands.

Edge: Chargers

When the San Diego Chargers pass: Philip Rivers is playing with an extremely high level of confidence. The Chargers have taken the shackles off their passing offense the last two weeks, and Rivers has performed like a seasoned veteran. He gets the ball out quickly and displays accuracy that the NFL hasn't seen from a young quarterback in quite some time.

San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron has no qualms about letting Rivers rip it early and often. The Chargers came out gunning in both of their previous two games and showed little inclination to stop, even when they had a lead. The Chargers had a 2-to-1 pass-run ratio midway through their game against Pittsburgh. Clearly, Rivers is playing above and beyond the level of most first-year starters.

Kansas City's veteran secondary at Arrowhead Stadium will be his toughest challenge yet. The Chiefs' pass defense had a hiccup in Pittsburgh last week, but the secondary has been stingy otherwise. With no true deep threat in the San Diego offense, the Chiefs will have an advantage at home, especially with rookie left tackle Marcus McNeill playing in a noisy environment. He'll have a fantastic battle with Chiefs defensive end Jared Allen all day long.

Edge: Chiefs

When the Kansas City Chiefs run: The once-dominant Kansas City running attack is seemingly mired in mud this year. The Chiefs have totaled just 77 yards on 41 attempts over the last two weeks. It will most likely be more of the same this weekend against a Charger run defense that is surrendering just 71.6 yards per game.

Chiefs center Casey Wiegmann will likely struggle against San Diego nose tackle Jamal Williams, who dominated Pittsburgh's offensive line two weeks ago. Making matters worse for Kansas City is the loss of starting fullback Ronnie Cruz. This is a good week to bench Larry Johnson in your fantasy league.

Edge: Chargers

When the San Diego Chargers run: Kansas City's run defense was gashed a week ago in Pittsburgh, giving up 219 yards. That's a departure from the norm, but the Chiefs will be tested again against a similar running attack. The Chargers are a power-running team with a big offensive line that is playing its best football since Marty Schottenheimer was hired.

LaDainian Tomlinson has averaged just 43 yards rushing at Arrowhead Stadium over the last three years, but the addition of backup Michael Turner brings a dynamic that the Chiefs haven't faced this year. Kansas City will need to make the tackles it missed a week ago if the team is to stop San Diego's one-two punch.

Edge: Even

Special teams: The kicking game is pretty even between these teams until you add Dante Hall to the equation. He returns after missing Kansas City's last game with a back injury.

Intangibles: The Chiefs will have something to prove at home after enduring the worst loss the franchise has seen in years a week ago. Like the Chiefs in Week 6, San Diego is finishing up a two-game road trip this Sunday. Chiefs head coach Herman Edwards is 3-1 lifetime against Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

Prediction: The Chiefs will be ultra-focused and up for this game after getting blown out in Pittsburgh. It won't be enough, however.

Chargers 20, Chiefs 13

Get in-depth pregame analysis at RealFootball365.com

Easy 6
10-20-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm pretty sure thats your most professional piece of work to date. Great job GC!!!

Donger
10-20-2006, 04:35 PM
I was under the impression that Dante injured his hip. He hurt his back?

Smed1065
10-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Good article.

Count Zarth
10-20-2006, 04:46 PM
I was under the impression that Dante injured his hip. He hurt his back?

That's my bad. He originally had back problems the week before the Pitt game. He is back though.

Otter
10-20-2006, 04:58 PM
Not bad at all.

Arn't you jumping off your own bandwagon though?!?!?

keg in kc
10-20-2006, 05:10 PM
The Chargers in general and Rivers in particular are due a hiccup game, and I think it's going to be Sunday. My guess is that they're going to have trouble running the ball, and Rivers is going to take some sacks and throw some picks on what I think's going to be a real rough day for him. I'd say this is the week we see one of our DBs return one for 7, and if it happens early, I can see it turning into a rout.

Smed1065
10-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Pick 6 maybe...........I doubt 7.

Maybe 8 if they also play WR on a 2 point conersion......

ChiefFan31
10-20-2006, 09:56 PM
That is a good article.

And it is a major major mismatch. the Chargers front 7 against our Offensive line. We have got to play some inspired football to have any chance.