View Full Version : Welborne returns monday

blueballs
10-20-2006, 06:19 PM
to practice
kept in shape
from the air waves

L.A. Chieffan
10-20-2006, 06:19 PM
that means he can start shooting up again.

Chieficus
10-20-2006, 06:27 PM
The real question is: what exactly does he bring with him, aside from depth? Sampson seems to be doing fine at RT (or maybe his flaws are just over shadowed by the horrendous nature of Black's play at left), and I don't think he can provide quality (heck, at least average) play at LT where our deepest problem lay...

BWillie
10-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Hopefully he can talk to Brodie and roid him up. I'm scared for his safety

milkman
10-20-2006, 08:33 PM
The real question is: what exactly does he bring with him, aside from depth? Sampson seems to be doing fine at RT (or maybe his flaws are just over shadowed by the horrendous nature of Black's play at left), and I don't think he can provide quality (heck, at least average) play at LT where our deepest problem lay...

Sampson hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't been doing "fine" either.

He's a mediocre tackle, and has shown nothing to indicate that he should be holding down the position for any longer than is absolutely necessary.

Hammock Parties
10-20-2006, 08:39 PM
where did yuo hear this from!?

HemiEd
10-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Sampson hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't been doing "fine" either.

He's a mediocre tackle, and has shown nothing to indicate that he should be holding down the position for any longer than is absolutely necessary.

milkman speeks the truth. I think Welbourn would be an upgrade at either tackle spot. Experience and he was part of the best line in the NFL last year.

ChiefaRoo
10-20-2006, 08:45 PM
Welbourne is > than Sampson

HemiEd
10-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Welbourne is > than Sampson

The good news, I would bet Herm will play him. As much as I liked Vermeil, I don't think he would.

YOU Play to WIN the Game!

ChiefaRoo
10-20-2006, 09:01 PM
It would be nice to get Welborne, Turley and Green back all in the same week. Maybe a little rotation with Turley this week to get him going. Hopefully he's plumping up a bit.

58-4ever
10-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Welbourn

PastorMikH
10-20-2006, 09:30 PM

Everyone has been saying the ONLY reason LJ has been doing a poor job of running is the O-Line. Having 4 of the 5 O-Linemen from last year should take care of part of that problem.

Sampson and Black may be doing fair in pass blocking, but our running game could use Welbourn back.

keg in kc
10-20-2006, 09:34 PM
If he plays, the question is whether it'll be on the left or the right.

HemiEd
10-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Welbourn

Thank you! I used to know how to spell it, I imprint to well. I finally forgot, even went to the Chiefs roster to check. He aint on it.

ChiefaRoo
10-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Who cares how you spell it just plug the roid'd out Michelin man into the RT spot and be done with it.

C-Mac
10-20-2006, 09:44 PM
By ELIZABETH MERRILL
The Kansas City Star

After months of inconsistency, help may be on the way for the Chiefs’ offense.

Twice-suspended offensive tackle John Welbourn will join the team next week for practice, a source close to the situation said Tuesday. Welbourn, a staple on a line that paved the way for the NFL’s No. 1 offense last year, retired unexpectedly last summer, then was suspended for six weeks for violating the league’s drug policy.

Welbourn also sat for four games at the start of 2005 for steroid use. At the time of his second suspension in September, the Chiefs said they’d wait to decide whether to take him back. Now Welbourn will work out Oct. 23, and the club will have a two-week commissioner’s exemption to determine his physical status.

The Chiefs lost both of their starting tackles by training camp, as 11-time Pro Bowler Willie Roaf announced his retirement just as the team was heading for River Falls, Wis. It got worse from there. Quarterback Trent Green was knocked unconscious in the season opener and still hasn’t returned to the field.

Then left tackle Kyle Turley’s back problems flared up, and on Sunday, the Chiefs lost starting fullback Ronnie Cruz for the season because of a knee injury. So Welbourn, who was steady at right tackle last year, would be a welcome addition, assuming he’s stayed in football shape.

During last year’s time away from the team, Welbourn worked out daily at Athletes Performance in Carson, Calif. He slid into the rotation in his first week back.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards, whose team is coming off a 45-7 pasting at Pittsburgh, repeated his mantra Tuesday about how he doesn’t use excuses or worry about who’s in or out — he just coaches the 11 players available on the field. But it’s obvious the doctors’ notes are piling up.

Pro Bowl running back Larry Johnson, who ran for nine straight 100-yard games at the end of 2005, had just 26 yards in 15 carries Sunday. And the Chiefs’ once-vaunted offense is now 26th in the NFL.

“We’re all frustrated because of the way we played last week,” Edwards said. “Prior to that, we played halfway decent. We didn’t play well, and I can’t worry about why because I’ve got to worry about San Diego. You never know why.

“We’ve got to play better, and I anticipate we’ll play better. We have no choice. It’s a division game. We know it.”

Ah, the Chargers. They’re not exactly a get-well-soon matchup for the offense since they have the No. 1 defense in the NFL. But Edwards put on a happy face Tuesday and compared last weekend’s events to a playoff game he had in New York when his Jets beat the Colts 41-0.

Sometimes, he said, it’s just one team’s day.

“They hit us, and we didn’t react,” Edwards said.

“At halftime, it’s 31-0, and what do you tell your football team? What does the chalkboard say? You don’t need to worry about the play. You know what you need to do? You’d better play the second half or you might get hurt. To this football team’s credit, they played the second half.”

Long before the team got on a flight back to Kansas City, the airwaves were crackling with criticism. Edwards came to town in January to take the Chiefs to the playoffs and beyond with a defense-first mentality. In the months that have followed, he’s been blasted for a conservative offense and predictable play-calling.

He bristled Tuesday at the notion that his team was predictable. The Chiefs threw the ball 39 times, more than twice as much as they ran it. And in this 2-3 start, nothing has gone to script.

“It’s no different than when I went to New York,” Edwards said. “I was going to do it a certain way, and I didn’t bat an eye up there and I’m not going to bat an eye here, believe me. They hired me to come here and really be who I am. That’s what I’m gonna do, and there’s going to be some ups and downs and you know it.

“The thing you can’t do is you can’t get distracted by all of the sudden everyone telling you how to run your program. Because there’s only 32 head coaches last time I checked, and my name’s on the door and I’ve got to make sure that I do it the way I want to do it, because, if not, then it becomes coach of the week. I’m going to do it my way. I get that from my mom. I’m stubborn.”

chiefbowe82
10-20-2006, 10:44 PM
your telling me he's just depth?
he's not better than black?

Rain Man
10-20-2006, 10:50 PM
This is good, good, good, good news.

the Talking Can
10-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Welbourne run blocks better than Sampson and Block combined.

THIS IS GREAT ****ING NEWS NOW GIVE US TRENT BACK PLEASE SO WE CAN GET OUR HOPES UP AGAIN ONLY TO BE CRUSHED AS YOU COCK EATING GODS ARE WANT TO DO YOU ****ING PRICKS YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE

PastorMikH
10-20-2006, 10:57 PM
your telling me he's just depth?
he's not better than black?

No, he isn't nearly as good as Black. If you don't believe me, you can ask 31 of the 32 NFL teams and they will tell you the same thing.

sedated
10-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Having 4 of the 5 O-Linemen from last year should take care of part of that problem.

the only problem is that the 1 missing is one of the best OLinemen to ever play.

and we saw how bad the line was last year with Welbourn and without ricky Roaf

but we need all the help we can get.

just don't see him at LT, doesn't have the feet.

luckily, if he goes at RT, he's playing next to Shields, which helps quicken the adjustment period

Mama Hip Rockets
10-20-2006, 11:01 PM
No, he isn't nearly as good as Black. If you don't believe me, you can ask 31 of the 32 NFL teams and they will tell you the same thing.

ROFL

the Talking Can
10-20-2006, 11:02 PM

shit, I thought I was high right now.....damn

sedated
10-20-2006, 11:05 PM
shit, I thought I was high right now.....damn

I need to get some of whatever he's on

PastorMikH
10-20-2006, 11:16 PM
the only problem is that the 1 missing is one of the best OLinemen to ever play.

and we saw how bad the line was last year with Welbourn and without ricky Roaf

but we need all the help we can get.

just don't see him at LT, doesn't have the feet.

luckily, if he goes at RT, he's playing next to Shields, which helps quicken the adjustment period

Who's Ricky Roaf?:)

AT LEAST one side of the O-Line will be back. Granted a lot of LJ's yards were to Willie's side, but he did have some good runs to the right as well. Now, hopefully LJ can have some success at one side of the line.

Actually, looking at stats, the 3 games in Nov that Willie didn't play but Welbourn did, LJ put up 107 yds, 132 yds, and 211 yds. So who knows, maybe Welboun can open something up for LJ.

Incedentally, The three weeks in Sept that BOTH Roaf and Welbourn were out, LJ and Priest combined for (LJ/Priest) 41/74, 13/61, & 34/84 yds. So it looks like LJ struggled when both were out last year as well. The games both were in, LJ's numbers were up.

sedated
10-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Actually, looking at stats, the 3 games in Nov that Willie didn't play but Welbourn did, LJ put up 107 yds, 132 yds, and 211 yds. So who knows, maybe Welboun can open something up for LJ.

Incedentally, The three weeks in Sept that BOTH Roaf and Welbourn were out, LJ and Priest combined for (LJ/Priest) 41/74, 13/61, & 34/84 yds. So it looks like LJ struggled when both were out last year as well. The games both were in, LJ's numbers were up.

who were out opponents during thaose games, and how was their run defense?

and please try defeding the black better than welbourn thing

PastorMikH
10-20-2006, 11:29 PM
who were out opponents during thaose games, and how was their run defense?

and please try defeding the black better than welbourn thing

On the run Ds, it was Houston, Bills and Oakland, but AZ's run D isn't much either and they held him to 36 yards and Cinnci's run D is ranked right now at 25th and they held LJ to 68 yards.

As for the Welbourn/Black bit, seriously, are you too dense or too inebriated to recognize SARCASM??? :rolleyes:

(See CntryGal? This is what I'm talking about)

PastorMikH
10-20-2006, 11:29 PM
ROFL

I'm glad someone got it.:shake:

sedated
10-20-2006, 11:35 PM
are you too dense or too inebriated to recognize SARCASM??? :rolleyes:

sarcasm makes baby jesus cry

NJ Chief Fan
10-21-2006, 01:24 AM
plug welbourne A-SAP! id be interested in a rotating oline.

Deberg_1990
10-21-2006, 02:25 AM
Its pretty pathetic how much we welcome back a 2 time steriod abuser with open arms.......

Desperate teams do desperate things....

Chiefs Pantalones
10-21-2006, 02:29 AM
So when the **** is Green coming back? This is getting ridiculous.

Rausch
10-21-2006, 02:44 AM
So when the **** is Green coming back? This is getting ridiculous.

He's 35 and suffered serious head trauma.

He's no moron, he wants to remember his kid's names, and I don't blame him.

Our line is in shambles right now and his return would do next to nothing other than gay-ron-tee getting knocked stupid again.

Postal_clone
10-21-2006, 05:06 AM
Ive got 2 words for ya...........holding machine

CupidStunt
10-21-2006, 05:11 AM
Ive got 2 words for ya...........holding machine

He was called for just two holding penalties in 2005, and only one in 2004.

Whatchu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Postal_clone
10-21-2006, 05:50 AM
Is that all. maybe I was just thinking of all the no calls I saw but the refs didnt......lol

greg63
10-21-2006, 06:15 AM
milkman speeks the truth. I think Welbourn would be an upgrade at either tackle spot. Experience and he was part of the best line in the NFL last year.

I agree. FWIW.

ct
10-21-2006, 08:02 AM
Hopefully when he returns, he's got enough GOGO juice to share with Jordan Black and Kevin Sampson, they need it!!