PDA

View Full Version : DVR to DVD?

htismaqe
10-20-2006, 06:22 PM
Well, they finally did it. My kids filled their DVR with episodes of SpongeBob.

I figured I could just go buy a boxed set of DVD's, but I'll be damned if it's not cheaper to buy a DVD recorder.

My question is:

How easy is it to do? Can I just run RGB cables from the DVR to the DVD recorder and let 'er rip?

jspchief
10-20-2006, 06:53 PM
I've done DVR to VHS. On my DVR playback menu it gives me an option to send to VCR. I imagine you could give it the same command but have it send to the DVD recorder instead.

Ideally you'd send them to your computer, edit out the commercials, and then burn to DVD. That's what I want to do. Just not sure if it's possible.

htismaqe
10-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I know it's possible, I've done it.

However, my WIFE is going to be doing this, not me.

So the PC is not an option.

SLAG
10-20-2006, 10:24 PM
buy a 2 TB drive and slap it in the DVR-

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?ACTION=Enter&thispage=013003501007_BK28045P.shtml&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!

Be good to go for awhile-

lots of sponge bob and lots of pr0n living in harmony-

or-

the problem you might run into is encryption on the output of your DVR- like they do when you try to play a dvd player through the RCA Inputs on a VCR-

if you have a VCR try it out.. if it xfer clean then you should in theory ( i dont own a "set top" DVD-RW) be able to do this-

you could just "Back up " your DVD seasons of Spongebob Square pants- buy that 2tb drive and put it in your computer then stream it via the High- Def- D- Link Media lounge

I think there is enough in this post to convey wtf i meant to say

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-23-2006, 06:27 AM
htis-

Does your DVD-R have an RGB (component) input? I don't know of many on the market that do...If you want to do it that way, you can just replay the old episodes one by one and run the appropriate A/V cables into your DVD-R while doing so.

If you have a Tivo Series 2 box (Standalone) you can send the shows to your PC and then using two programs called DirectShowDump and DVD Patcher, create DVD compliant programs that you can burn with any burning software, like Nero.

htismaqe
10-23-2006, 11:38 AM
I appreciate the help guys, but let me re-iterate:

The solution CANNOT use the computer. It's too complicated for her to use and I AM NOT DOING IT MYSELF. I don't have time for a project right now.

I will likely be using the first method you described, Hamas...

PastorMikH
10-23-2006, 11:45 AM
I've done DVR to VHS. On my DVR playback menu it gives me an option to send to VCR. I imagine you could give it the same command but have it send to the DVD recorder instead.

Ideally you'd send them to your computer, edit out the commercials, and then burn to DVD. That's what I want to do. Just not sure if it's possible.

I'd be interested in knowing what program are you using to do the editing?

PastorMikH
10-23-2006, 11:50 AM
As for your question Htis, I have a DVD-R and it basically works just like a VCR in that it will record what is played through it. The only problems I have encountered is it refuses to record movies that are on the original VCR tapes. It keeps throwing up a blurp about it being a copy-protected work.

I have used the DVD-r though to save a home movie or two from the VCR though and have had no problems whatsoever. I would think the recordings of Spongebob from TV coming off your DVR could be the done the same way.

FWIW, I picked up a cheapy Phillips/Magnavox DVD-R from Wally World for less that $100 back the first of Sept to record the games on.

jspchief
10-29-2006, 08:47 AM
I'd be interested in knowing what program are you using to do the editing?Well, I'm not using anything. I've yet to actually try and send something from my DVR to my computer.

I just know that there are people that record games to their computer and then edit out the commercials to reduce the file size so it will fit on a single DVD.

It's been discussed on CP before, including what editing software works well. I just don't remember what it was. A search might find it, or ask someone like Dru or gochiefs.

unlurking
10-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Just got a new free DVR, and it has USB ports for "future features". Very curious to see if I can't get something out of this. Would be nice to be able to access the HDD through that. Will have to start researching to see if anyone has opened that up yet.

htismaqe
10-30-2006, 07:59 AM
As for your question Htis, I have a DVD-R and it basically works just like a VCR in that it will record what is played through it. The only problems I have encountered is it refuses to record movies that are on the original VCR tapes. It keeps throwing up a blurp about it being a copy-protected work.

I have used the DVD-r though to save a home movie or two from the VCR though and have had no problems whatsoever. I would think the recordings of Spongebob from TV coming off your DVR could be the done the same way.

FWIW, I picked up a cheapy Phillips/Magnavox DVD-R from Wally World for less that $100 back the first of Sept to record the games on.

I got a Magnavox that can do DVD-R and DVD+R.

PastorMikH
10-30-2006, 08:29 AM
I got a Magnavox that can do DVD-R and DVD+R.

Have you had any luck getting it to copy the sponge bob yet?

htismaqe
10-30-2006, 08:37 AM
haven't tried yet, no time

JonesCrusher
10-30-2006, 09:15 AM
The one i got will not record some things due to copyright, I could not record Deadwood to DVD but I could to VHS on the same dual player :banghead: :banghead: :bong: