PDA

View Full Version : The Mets Win the Pennant! The Mets Win the Pennant!

htismaqe
10-21-2006, 06:01 AM
I wonder how badly ESPN wants to put that on TV?

The #1 "Play of Week" wasn't Molina's clutch homer in Game 7 to give the Cards the 3-1 lead. It wasn't Adam Wainwright striking out Carlos "Cardinal Killer" Beltran.

It was the 6th inning "catch" of Scott Rolen's "almost" home run...

Unbelievable.

HemiEd
10-21-2006, 06:15 AM
I hear there is no such thing as East Coast bias. Especially around NY.

greg63
10-21-2006, 06:17 AM
I hear there is no such thing as East Coast bias. Especially around NY.

I'm sure about that.

JBucc
10-21-2006, 08:19 AM
I'm sure they do but that was a great damn play

Bill Parcells
10-21-2006, 08:23 AM
I watched ESPN yesterday..they had the Cards all over the place..if that was the ''play of the week''..then it should have gotten the coverage..I hate the Mets..but that was one of the greatest catches I have ever seen..especially under the circumstances

NJ Chief Fan
10-21-2006, 08:25 AM
METS SUCK

DMAC
10-21-2006, 08:38 AM
That catch was amazing. I think I agree with them as far as clutch single plays.

It's not every decade you see that.

siberian khatru
10-21-2006, 08:49 AM
That was one of the greatest catches ever. But it has been diminished by the fact the Mets didn't win. If they had won, because of that catch, it would be higher in the pantheon of baseball feats. That's not fair, but that's how history's going to judge it.

Edmonds made the greatest catch I ever saw, against the Royals when he was an Angel, but it doesn't receive as much fanfare because it occurred during the regular season. That fact should not detract at all from the astounding athletic performance, but it does.

BigRedChief
10-21-2006, 09:20 AM
It wasn't Adam Wainwright striking out Carlos "Cardinal Killer" Beltran.

That was one of the sweetes moments in Cards recent memory for me. I think Pujols homer off Lidge is the best but after the history of Beltran killing us to se Beltran become a statue in the bottom of the ninth with tying runs on base to go to the World Series...pricelss

htismaqe
10-21-2006, 09:33 AM
That wasn't even the best play of the SERIES, let alone one of the best plays ever. It was at best the THIRD BEST play in THAT GAME.

"Best play ever", that's retarded.

Just goes to show the current "Sportscenter" mentality in pro sports. It was great catch. We'll see a bunch of big hit highlights this weekend too.

And those teams will have LOST.

StcChief
10-21-2006, 09:53 AM
The only showed the SNOW CONE catch a million times
as 'the play' too bad NY loser.

CupidStunt
10-21-2006, 09:54 AM
That wasn't even the best play of the SERIES, let alone one of the best plays ever.

In your opinion.

Which is certainly in the minority at this point.

StcChief
10-21-2006, 09:57 AM
When Chavez does great catches as many times as others...Say Edmunds let me know how great he is.

Bill Parcells
10-21-2006, 10:01 AM
That wasn't even the best play of the SERIES, let alone one of the best plays ever. It was at best the THIRD BEST play in THAT GAME.

Just goes to show the current "Sportscenter" mentality in pro sports. It was great catch. We'll see a bunch of big hit highlights this weekend too.

I agree with you on the Sportscenter crap..but downplaying that catch(and I remind you,I hate the mets)is retarded

CupidStunt
10-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Everything's retarded.

I hope there aren't any posters who actually have family, friends or close relations that suffer from some form of mental retardation.

Bill Parcells
10-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Everything's retarded.

I hope there aren't any posters who actually have family, friends or close relations that suffer from some form of mental retardation.
Well..we can always rely on Mrs sensitivity to throw in her 2 cents :deevee: :deevee:

Reaper16
10-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Everything's retarded.

You're retarded.

CupidStunt
10-21-2006, 10:19 AM
You're retarded.

At least you tried.

StcChief
10-21-2006, 10:41 AM
That was one of the sweetes moments in Cards recent memory for me. I think Pujols homer off Lidge is the best but after the history of Beltran killing us to se Beltran become a statue in the bottom of the ninth with tying runs on base to go to the World Series...pricelss

Yep...Priceless... Right there with Albert against Lidge...

What a choke by Beltran... strike out looking with bases loaded bottom of nineth, Two outs, in Game 7....

I guess he thought the Ump would give him a 'NY call' for a Ball to make it interesting??? He must buy into the fact, they should win because they are NY....

Batting coaches for how long have said 'protect plate swing the bat on anything close.'

F NY.

:rolleyes:

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2006, 10:47 AM
What bothered me the most was that FOX was profusely apologizing to the audience after the game (via Kevin Kelly and Jeannie Zelasko) for the Mets not winning. They didn't say anything about what the Cards did to win, it was only what the Mets didn't do.

And all things considered, I've seen Edmonds make many catches that were better than that Chavez catch in just a Cardinal uniform. A lot of people overlook a catch he made in '04 against the Reds...He jumped up went over the wall and made the same extension that Chavez did....BACKHANDED and pulled it in. The moment makes a difference, but Chavez's catch was also no more difficult than the diving catch that Edmonds made in game 7 of the '04 LCS.

The Bad Guy
10-21-2006, 10:49 AM

How many times do people get HRs in game 7's? How many strike 3's are called in game 7's?

How many HRs are robbed? Not many. Not many like that. Chavez is about 5'9 on a good day and to pull that catch was nothing short of amazing.

Of course it was a great play. Without that play, Molina's HR and that pitch would have been non-issues.

You can discredit it as being a big deal all you want, but without it, those 2 plays don't mean so much.

The Bad Guy
10-21-2006, 10:51 AM
What bothered me the most was that FOX was profusely apologizing to the audience after the game (via Kevin Kelly and Jeannie Zelasko) for the Mets not winning. They didn't say anything about what the Cards did to win, it was only what the Mets didn't do.

And all things considered, I've seen Edmonds make many catches that were better than that Chavez catch in just a Cardinal uniform. A lot of people overlook a catch he made in '04 against the Reds...He jumped up went over the wall and made the same extension that Chavez did....BACKHANDED and pulled it in. The moment makes a difference, but Chavez's catch was also no more difficult than the diving catch that Edmonds made in game 7 of the '04 LCS.

A diving catch no more difficult than pulling a HR ball 3 feet from the fence?

Bullshit.

Are all Cardinal fans as big of whiners as you guys on here? If so, I hope Detroit shits all over you.

"Wahh, the media wanted the Mets to win." Wahh.

**** off already.

The Bad Guy
10-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Yep...Priceless... Right there with Albert against Lidge...

What a choke by Beltran... strike out looking with bases loaded bottom of nineth, Two outs, in Game 7....

I guess he thought the Ump would give him a 'NY call' for a Ball to make it interesting??? He must buy into the fact, they should win because they are NY....

Batting coaches for how long have said 'protect plate swing the bat on anything close.'

F NY.

:rolleyes:

Ny call? Now the media is against the Cardinals, the umps were against the Cardinals.

Kinda like Valetin's strike 3 call to end game 5?

He made a bad decision to take the pitch.

It's good to see what St. Whiner fans can't enjoy winning without whining.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2006, 11:02 AM
A diving catch no more difficult than pulling a HR ball 3 feet from the fence?

Bullshit.

Are all Cardinal fans as big of whiners as you guys on here? If so, I hope Detroit shits all over you.

"Wahh, the media wanted the Mets to win." Wahh.

**** off already.

It was a diving catch AWAY from the field of play, not towards it. It also saved at least two, and possibly 3 runs. That requires a hell of a lot more hand eye coordination and judgment than does a line of sight grab.

StcChief
10-21-2006, 11:18 AM
Ny call? Now the media is against the Cardinals, the umps were against the Cardinals.

Kinda like Valetin's strike 3 call to end game 5?

He made a bad decision to take the pitch.

It's good to see what St. Whiner fans can't enjoy winning without whining.

I'm Not whining I'm stating facts. Looking at strike 3 2 outs bottom of the 9th in play offs???

The Media is interested in MONEY....pure and simple. ad rates, market share, viewership.

We enjoyed the WIN.

but the media will ho-hum this series because big market teams are not there. TS media.

Just broadcast it locally and play your regular TV season or old movies for the rest of the country that doesn't care IYO.

Pitt Gorilla
10-21-2006, 11:22 AM
How many times do people get HRs in game 7's? How many strike 3's are called in game 7's?

How many HRs are robbed? Not many. Not many like that. Chavez is about 5'9 on a good day and to pull that catch was nothing short of amazing.

Of course it was a great play. Without that play, Molina's HR and that pitch would have been non-issues.

You can discredit it as being a big deal all you want, but without it, those 2 plays don't mean so much.Great point. That catch was the most memorable moment for me. HRs are hit all the time.

VAChief
10-21-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm a HUGE Cards fan...but I had no problem with them showing the catch...because the Cards Won! The media is always going to play up the dramatic moments, last year how many times did they replay the Pujols homer (even though the Cards eventually lost)?

There is undoubtedly a desire for larger market teams to play for dollar reasons, but nothing is going to change that fact. I heard that next year TBS has partial rights to the games in the playoffs. You think there is homerism now, imagine if Atlanta is in it next year.

I actually enjoy the lower status going into a series or game, whether it is the Cards or Chiefs. It is always sweeter then if you win (no more 13-3 first game exits please!).

Demonpenz
10-21-2006, 01:39 PM
When Chavez does great catches as many times as others...Say Edmunds let me know how great he is.

Edmonds always gets a horrible jump or breaks the wrong way only to dive at the last second. Just because you dive around like a peckersucker doesn't make you andruw jones

tk13
10-21-2006, 01:45 PM
That was one of the greatest playoff plays of all time. That was amazing.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Edmonds always gets a horrible jump or breaks the wrong way only to dive at the last second. Just because you dive around like a peckersucker doesn't make you andruw jones

:spock:

Considering that he is widely regarded to get better jumps and read flyballs than about any centerfielder around, your analysis is a might off. If you think he "Hollywood"s it, that's another story, but his instincts are second to none. The one thing that hurts him is a lack of footspeed, but still, this analysis is totally off base.

Demonpenz
10-21-2006, 01:56 PM
:spock:

Considering that he is widely regarded to get better jumps and read flyballs than about any centerfielder around, your analysis is a might off. If you think he "Hollywood"s it, that's another story, but his instincts are second to none. The one thing that hurts him is a lack of footspeed, but still, this analysis is totally off base.

I don't know how much baseball you watch but if you listen to sunday nights on espn radio there is the old cliche "It's not a baseball staduim until jim edmonds gets a bad jump on the ball"

Demonpenz
10-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Go to google Just type in Jim edmonds gets a bad jump on google, or Jim edmonds takes bad route, or my personal favorite Jim edmonds asked me to jerk off while he watches"

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2006, 02:02 PM
I don't know how much baseball you watch but if you listen to sunday nights on espn radio there is the old cliche "It's not a baseball staduim until jim edmonds gets a bad jump on the ball"

Footspeed is irrelevant to the subjective quality of whether or not someone gets a good jump on the ball.

Of course, I guess I should be listening to ESPN radio instead of watching the goddamned game on ESPN itself :banghead:....in reality, this clarifies your argument as you are relying on 1 sense, hearing, rather than seeing it yourself and listening to the analysis of the PBP crew.

Demonpenz
10-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Footspeed is irrelevant to the subjective quality of whether or not someone gets a good jump on the ball.

Of course, I guess I should be listening to ESPN radio instead of watching the goddamned game on ESPN itself :banghead:....in reality, this clarifies your argument as you are relying on 1 sense, hearing, rather than seeing it yourself and listening to the analysis of the PBP crew.

Didn't want to take me on the google challenge Eh? Just deflect and spin and demon wins!

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2006, 02:11 PM
Didn't want to take me on the google challenge Eh? Just deflect and spin and demon wins!

Ok let me get this straight....you purport this source as being from ESPN radio when in reality you googled it yourself to save your own hide and it comes from a comment to a blog and I am the one deflecting.

ROFL

Ok, I've got some instructions for you, and they may hurt.

Grab your neck really tight at the base

Yank really hard, like pulling a stake out of the ground.

Wash the shit out of your hair.

Get your asshole stitched back to a normal size.

Demonpenz
10-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Ok let me get this straight....you purport this source as being from ESPN radio when in reality you googled it yourself to save your own hide and it comes from a comment to a blog and I am the one deflecting.

ROFL

Ok, I've got some instructions for you, and they may hurt.

Grab your neck really tight at the base

Yank really hard, like pulling a stake out of the ground.

Wash the shit out of your hair.

Get your asshole stitched back to a normal size.

It's ok everyone gets owned around here sometimes.

Demonpenz
10-21-2006, 02:14 PM
haha you really googled it

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2006, 02:16 PM
It's ok everyone gets owned around here sometimes.

Don't Worry,

Your Bill O'Reilly-esque fabrication of non-existent source material would make that loofah-loving f*ck proud. :thumb:

Demonpenz
10-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Don't Worry,

Your Bill O'Reilly-esque fabrication of non-existent source material would make that loofah-loving f*ck proud. :thumb:

Thanks. On a serious note for a second, I personally think he does get bad jumps on the ball and has to dive at the last second, but I dont know what the experts think is. I don't have any scouts mags around here to back it up. I thought maybe i could find alot of google hits with some good sources and if those sources sucked i could say "well what does peter gammon know about baseball" I will finish up my meth induced rant with saying I hate the cards, the blues, the rams, the arch, the science musium the magic house, the arch, bucsh gardens, the clydes dales, busch brewery joe buck, pujoes, edmonds, I really really really hate everything st louis.

Reaper16
10-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks. On a serious note for a second, I personally think he does get bad jumps on the ball and has to dive at the last second, but I dont know what the experts think is. I don't have any scouts mags around here to back it up. I thought maybe i could find alot of google hits with some good sources and if those sources sucked i could say "well what does peter gammon know about baseball" I will finish up my meth induced rant with saying I hate the cards, the blues, the rams, the arch, the science musium the magic house, the arch, bucsh gardens, the clydes dales, busch brewery joe buck, pujoes, edmonds, I really really really hate everything st louis.
:clap:

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2006, 02:27 PM

At least you are honest. Enjoy hitting the lightbulb, and name a festering sore on your forearm after me.

StcChief
10-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Go ahead a bash 'everything' STL if the makes you happy.. Edmunds et.al.

The Royals wish they could KEEP and PAY anybody near his skill level.

Demonpenz
10-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Go ahead a bash 'everything' STL if the makes you happy.. Edmunds et.al.

The Royals wish they could KEEP and PAY anybody near his skill level.

and cards wish jack clark could catch a pop fly

Demonpenz
10-21-2006, 04:25 PM
At least you are honest. Enjoy hitting the lightbulb, and name a festering sore on your forearm after me.

I don't know what that means, but if it means atleast we are talking sports on this board. It is good

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2006, 04:27 PM
and cards wish jack clark could catch a pop fly

Darrell Porter, crackhead extraordinaire.

And hitting the lightbulb references smoking meth...as you referenced one of your posts as a meth induced rant. I was just going along with you. :thumb:

WilliamTheIrish
10-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I wonder how badly ESPN wants to put that on TV?

The #1 "Play of Week" wasn't Molina's clutch homer in Game 7 to give the Cards the 3-1 lead. It wasn't Adam Wainwright striking out Carlos "Cardinal Killer" Beltran.

It was the 6th inning "catch" of Scott Rolen's "almost" home run...

Unbelievable.
That's dumber than people who think the refs are out to get the Chiefs.

Demonpenz
10-21-2006, 04:32 PM
That's dumber than people who think the refs are out to get the Chiefs.

ADRELLE ROLLE MURDERED MY FAMILY AND THE REFS LET IT GO!