PDA

View Full Version : Worst concert

Dark Horse
10-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Whats the worst live performance you have had the miss fortune of seeing. Mine was the Kiss Animalize tour sure there were lots of lights and fireworks but no energy. They acted like all they had to do is show up.

Fruit Ninja
10-21-2006, 09:43 PM
hmm.. i havent been to many concerts, but the ones i been to where all pretty good. Oh yeah, i will say Erica Badu, i dontlike her music, but she was part of the concert deal. So thats mine.lol

ZepSinger
10-21-2006, 10:30 PM
I've only ever walked out on one show.

Kenny G.

:Lin:

Z

KcMizzou
10-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Firehouse

Don't ask.

Bowser
10-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Puddle of Mudd at the Voodoo Lounge. Not good.

Firehouse

Don't ask.

LMAO

scott free
10-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Vinnie Vincent Invasion in Taylorville,Ill.....just plain awful. The openers LA GUNS rocked tho.

morphius
10-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Slaughter as an opening act for someone. Just TERRIBLE!!!

Nightwish
10-21-2006, 11:10 PM
I saw Damn Yankees open for Bad Company three times. Each time, Damn Yankees rocked, but Bad Company pretty much sucked.

Dokken, at Monsters of Rock, put forth some serious suckage, too. They kicked ass, though, just a year or two before when they opened for Loverboy.

I saw Jerry Cantrell twice in as many months - first opening for Nickelback, then for Creed. He was awesome at the Nickelback show, but sucked at the Creed show (probably because at the Nickelback show, he played a lot of Alice in Chains, but at the Creed show, he mostly played his solo stuff that nobody had ever heard before).

Generally speaking, these no-name bands that sometimes open for multi-billings (such as 12 Stones opening for Jerry Cantrell and Creed) tend to suck. 12 Stones sucked like no other band has ever sucked before or since!

scott free
10-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Slaughter as an opening act for someone. Just TERRIBLE!!!
Hah, Mark Slaughter was fronting VVI the night i saw them :LOL: .

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-21-2006, 11:22 PM
My Freshman year at Truman State University Wyclef Jean performed, and his opening acts were De La Soul and The Black Eyed Peas (pre Fergie). The opening acts were intolerable and then Wyclef came on and played a 2 hour plus set that included about 4 songs and long intermissions of him inviting random girls up to the stage so he could try and get their info to bang them later.

It may have been a free concert, but I promised to never listen to any of his shit again.

DMAC
10-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Live. They opened up for Janes Addiction in Chicago in 02.

There was a point where he draped himself in an American flag.

He got booed, it was the worst.

Funny ...they named their band Live, and they are the worst live band I have ever seen.

CosmicPal
10-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Lionel Richie.

No sh*t. An old girlfriend of mine loved his and that crappy pop music, so I took her to the show. I figured it would score major points for me and while it did, I'm still not sure it was even worth it.

Stewie
10-22-2006, 10:57 AM
Joan Jett. She opened for The Police and just sucked. Good thing it was short set.

Halfcan
10-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Bon Jovi at Kemper, he got busted lip synching. The crowd booed him offstage and the concert was over. What a D#CK!

trndobrd
10-22-2006, 03:13 PM
My first concert ever... Boston in 1986 or 87. Ended up with seats behind the stage (not backstage, mind you) so I got to see the backs of band for 2 hours. As it happens, they played through the songs on their album, in order and with so little energy or feeling, front or back didn't make a difference.

Halfcan
10-22-2006, 03:41 PM
My first concert ever... Boston in 1986 or 87. Ended up with seats behind the stage (not backstage, mind you) so I got to see the backs of band for 2 hours. As it happens, they played through the songs on their album, in order and with so little energy or feeling, front or back didn't make a difference.

Yep I was there-very boring and average-lots of awkward pauses between songs. It was like a retirement gig for the band.

PunkinDrublic
10-22-2006, 04:01 PM
I had the misfortune of walking by the sidestage at Rockfest 2000 at sandstone when Blue October was playing. I would have forgotten about ever seeing them except now they've become part of clearchannels staple of generic and unoriginal playlist. If only the stage had collapsed that day and permanently damaged the singers vocal chords it might have kept this shitty music from reaching the masses.

Demonpenz
10-22-2006, 04:03 PM
I saw rush at sandstone. People were chanting PLAY TOM SAYWER AND GET THE **** OFF THE STAGE

"Bob" Dobbs
10-22-2006, 06:42 PM
REO Speedwagon on the High Infidelity tour was excruciatingly boring.

plbrdude
10-22-2006, 07:04 PM
i saw a band called "detective" open for kiss in omaha in 78 or so. a very strange pairing. and they weren't very good at all.

Dark Horse
10-22-2006, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=Nightwish] Dokken, at Monsters of Rock, put forth some serious suckage, too. They kicked ass, though, just a year or two before when they opened for Loverboy.

I saw Dokken open for Aerosmith once and they sucked then too.

trndobrd
10-22-2006, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=Nightwish] Dokken, at Monsters of Rock, put forth some serious suckage, too. They kicked ass, though, just a year or two before when they opened for Loverboy.

I saw Dokken open for Aerosmith once and they sucked then too.

I saw Dokken open for Aerosmith and thought they were OK for an opening act. Bar is usually set pretty low for opening acts.

trndobrd
10-22-2006, 10:53 PM
Yep I was there-very boring and average-lots of awkward pauses between songs. It was like a retirement gig for the band.

As I recall, it definitely wasn't more than a feeling...maybe about 1/4 of a feeling.

jspchief
10-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Eric Clapton

I think part of it was I was at an age where I expected more from concerts than some old guy standing there playing guitar... but he also sounded like shit.

Fish
10-23-2006, 10:01 AM
I was watching STP at the height of Scott Weiland's Do As Many Drugs As Possible Tour, and he forgot his lyrics 3 times in different songs. He completely skipped a verse in one song as well.... it was horrible.

morphius
10-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Hah, Mark Slaughter was fronting VVI the night i saw them :LOL: .
I'm seeing a trend, LOL!

siberian khatru
10-23-2006, 10:33 AM
i saw a band called "detective" open for kiss in omaha in 78 or so. a very strange pairing. and they weren't very good at all.

I have one of their albums:

http://www.woundedbird.com/detective/8504.jpg

Only because their keyboardist, Tony Kaye, was a founding member of Yes. Their lead singer was Michael Des Barres, husband of legendary groupie Pamela Des Barres.

phisherman
10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
i hate to say this, but the worst concert i ever saw was bob dylan last year at t-bones stadium w/ willie nelson opening..

willie was great, played all of his classics, and brought the house down...

and then, dylan came out and i don't know if he was sick or having an off night, but i genuinely couldn't understand one lyric he sang the whole set...we left about an hour into his set because it was so bad...

my wife and i are both huge dylan fans and we both left the concert scratching our heads in disbelief

bp

alpha_omega
10-23-2006, 10:53 AM
Ratt: Not sure what year it was...85 or 86 i think. They were awful.

Molitoth
10-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Live. They opened up for Janes Addiction in Chicago in 02.

There was a point where he draped himself in an American flag.

He got booed, it was the worst.

Funny ...they named their band Live, and they are the worst live band I have ever seen.

I've seen near 200 bands play live, and by god LIVE is the worst live act I've ever seen. I accidently caught them at Rockfest 2000 which sucked anyway, hell if I know why I went.

NewChief
10-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Toss up between The Screaming Cheetah Wheelies (they were opening for the Allman Brothers for some reason) and the Spin Doctors (part of some festival I was at). Both seriously sucked.

CosmicPal
10-23-2006, 12:28 PM
i hate to say this, but the worst concert i ever saw was bob dylan last year
bp

I hear you there...I've seen the guy perform a couple of times myself and I walked out on both of his shows. I don't plan on ever watching him perform live again.

DeepPurple
10-23-2006, 01:27 PM
1982 Savannah, Georgia Civic Center - Canadian band Saga opening for Billy Squier. Saga had three keyboards, very powerful sound with an excellent singer. I had never heard of them, they only performed six songs in a 45 minute set. After hearing "Wind Him Up" and "On the Loose" I went out the next day and bought their album "Worlds Apart". Then Billy Squier, who everybody was comparing to Robert Plant, comes out wearing a pink tank top and praces around on the stage like a fool, he should of been the opening act.

1984 Savannah Civic Center - excellent show but my head hurt for three days. Gary Moore, Krokus and Def Leppard "Pyromania Tour". Moore did a excellent version of "End of the World" from his Cooridors of Power album, then Krokus tried to get one side of the audience to yell louder than the other plus their songs like Screaming in the Night and Eat the Rich aren't exactly ballads. It was festival seating so at intermission for Def Leppard I got right down in front. It got so packed that at times my feet left the floor as everyone was jammed together, but they put on a helluva show.

siberian khatru
10-23-2006, 01:30 PM
1982 Savannah, Georgia Civic Center - Canadian band Saga opening for Billy Squier. Saga had three keyboards, very powerful sound with an excellent singer. I had never heard of them, they only performed six songs in a 45 minute set. After hearing "Wind Him Up" and "On the Loose" I went out the next day and bought their album "Worlds Apart". Then Billy Squier, who everybody was comparing to Robert Plant, comes out wearing a pink tank top and praces around on the stage like a fool, he should of been the opening act.

1984 Savannah Civic Center - excellent show but my head hurt for three days. Gary Moore, Krokus and Def Leppard "Pyromania Tour". Moore did a excellent version of "End of the World" from his Cooridors of Power album, then Krokus tried to get one side of the audience to yell louder than the other plus their songs like Screaming in the Night and Eat the Rich aren't exactly ballads. It was festival seating so at intermission for Def Leppard I got right down in front. It got so packed that at times my feet left the floor as everyone was jammed together, but they put on a helluva show.

You lived/grew up in Savannah? I just moved from there, after living there 18 years.

Loved the city, but the Civic Center was a pretty crappy place to see concerts.

banyon
10-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Mine was Built to Spill in Denver at the Gothic Theater.

I like the band quite a bit, but they have a real studio-reliant sound and that club has all of the acoustic quality of a hallway filled with garbage, which really made them sound like crap.

The Doobie Brother in the Pyramid in Memphis, TN were also pretty terrible. That place has some bizarre accoustics too, but I was little and my parents dragged me to that crapulence.

banyon
10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
i hate to say this, but the worst concert i ever saw was bob dylan last year at t-bones stadium w/ willie nelson opening..

willie was great, played all of his classics, and brought the house down...

and then, dylan came out and i don't know if he was sick or having an off night, but i genuinely couldn't understand one lyric he sang the whole set...we left about an hour into his set because it was so bad...

my wife and i are both huge dylan fans and we both left the concert scratching our heads in disbelief

bp

I have also seen Dylan look/play like crap. At the Memphis in May Beale Street Music Festival in 1994. Everyone just :bong: ed and sort of forgot he was up there.

DeepPurple
10-23-2006, 01:43 PM
You lived/grew up in Savannah? I just moved from there, after living there 18 years. Loved the city, but the Civic Center was a pretty crappy place to see concerts.

I was stationed at Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah all of 1972 as an air traffic controller, then I got out of the Army and stayed most of '73 until the FAA hired me in Florida. I saw Deep Purple and Jethro Tull back then, the civic center was fairly new and decent. Also went to see Black Sabbath but Ozzy lost his voice and they didn't come out, that's what they said anyway. After the controllers' strike of 1981 I moved back to the area and owned and operated a record store in Hinesville, about 30 miles away near Fort Stewart for the remainder of the 80's. I saw just about every big show that came through the civic center from around '82 until '88. From ZZ Top to Foreigner to the Scorpions to the Moody Blues. I liked Savannah Civic Center because you could smoke and sit wherever you wanted. I made it down to Jacksonville in '86 and caught U2, their civic center was bigger but nothing great. Went up to Atlanta around the same time and saw Peter Gabriel at the Omni, which was nice, you could drink all you wanted but had to go out to smoke.

Frosty
10-23-2006, 01:45 PM
Robin Trowers

I went with a friend even though I really hadn't heard much of Trowers' stuff. Ten minute, noodling guitar solos aren't really my cup of tea.

I thought I was going to slip into a coma during that thing. :shake:

Frosty
10-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Also went to see Black Sabbath but Ozzy lost his voice and they didn't come out, that's what they said anyway.

That reminds me of another bad one. Went to see Siouxie and the Banshees in Portland, OR, for their Superstition CD. After sitting through their incredibly shitty opening band (Wonderwall, or something like that), they come out and announce that Siouxie had a sore throat and they wouldn't be playing that night. :mad:

What a waste of a night that was. At least we got our money back.

CosmicPal
10-23-2006, 02:20 PM
1982 Savannah, Georgia Civic Center - Canadian band Saga opening for Billy Squier.

GEEZIT HOLY FREAKIN' KRIST! I cannot believe you brought up Saga! I used to have that album, World's Apart when I was a lad growing up in OPKS. Nobody ever heard of them, but I used to play that for friends sometimes and they all pretty much liked it...

Oh man, the memories....wow.

Saga... :clap:

Halfcan
10-23-2006, 02:45 PM
I saw rush at sandstone. People were chanting PLAY TOM SAYWER AND GET THE **** OFF THE STAGE

ROFL Yeah that didn't happen. I have been to every Rush concert at Sandstone-and they have ROCKED every one. Matter of fact they have been awesome at every concert since 1982 that I have seen in 3 different states.

MOhillbilly
10-23-2006, 02:57 PM
gwar the 2nd time i seen them.

kc rush
10-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Bad English in Kirksville back in the early 90’s was horrible (go figure). Not only were they a sappy power-ballad band, John Waite was obviously drunk. The dude fell down a couple of times and had trouble with the lyrics.

Mr. Big opening for Rush on the Presto and Roll the Bones tour. Billy Sheehan is a great bassist, but I just couldn’t stand listening to that band, especially that god awful song “To Be With You”.

siberian khatru
10-23-2006, 04:02 PM
GEEZIT HOLY FREAKIN' KRIST! I cannot believe you brought up Saga! I used to have that album, World's Apart when I was a lad growing up in OPKS. Nobody ever heard of them, but I used to play that for friends sometimes and they all pretty much liked it...

Also weird is that last weekend I was cruising around YouTube and stumbled across Saga, watched a couple of their videos ... hadn't seen them, or really even thought of them, in almost 25 years. Now, I've been Saga-ed twice in three days.

Strange thing, the Internet.

Nightwish
10-23-2006, 06:16 PM

Great band! That's one of the few cd's I still have left from the old days. I've gotten rid of most of my older cd's, after ripping them on my computer, but I adamantly refuse to get rid of my Saga "Worlds Apart" cd!

KC Jones
10-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Probably Cocteau Twins.

I was never that big of a fan, but my wife wanted to go... The lead singer (Elizabeth?) Had this god awful screeching voice and the band sounded awful. It was then that I realized they were purely a studio band. They couldn't play dick live.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Ozzy back in '82, he totally sucked. Motley Crue opened up for him and blew him away.

On a side note, I went to see George Thorogood once just because some of my friends were going and I didn't really have anything else to do. I expected it to suck, but he was pretty damn entertaining. The Georgia Satellites opened up for him and they were very good as well.

DeepPurple
10-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Bad English in Kirksville back in the early 90’s was horrible (go figure). Not only were they a sappy power-ballad band, John Waite was obviously drunk.

I saw the Babys, John Waite lead singer, open for Journey on their Departure tour in 1980, they were pretty good. The Babys even had a female singer come out and do the duet on that first hit of theirs. What was interesting later was that Jonathan Cain was the Babys keyboardist and Journey still had Greg Rolie, a year later Cain was Journey's keyboardist.

I've gotten rid of most of my older cd's, after ripping them on my computer, but I adamantly refuse to get rid of my Saga "Worlds Apart" cd!

What was cool about Saga was they didn't have a bass players, they played bass on the keyboards the same way Ray Manazarek did for the Doors. In fact, the lead singer sometimes played keyboards which made a total of three keyboards on stage and the sound was huge. The singer dragged out a huge trunk and made a joke about always getting stopped by customs to see inside the trunk. Anyway, he opened the top of the trunk, you couldn't see inside but apparently there was electronic drum heads and picked up some sticks and played a drum duet with the regular drummer, it sounded neat.

HC_Chief
10-24-2006, 02:21 PM
gwar the 2nd time i seen them.

Heh, you forgot the acid that show?

Nzoner
10-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Worst concert for me was The Pat Travers Band & Foghat,I was young and stupid and thought I'd see what it was like to snort some whiskey while Travers was singing about it.The incident knocked me out cold and I missed all of Foghat.

Rain Man
10-24-2006, 02:47 PM
I went to an REM concert a while back. REM was great, and I really enjoyed them, but they had the dang warmup bands playing for two full hours! My wife and I were finally at the point where we said, "Ten more minutes. If the concert doesn't start in ten minutes, we're leaving."

There were two opening bands. The first one was okay and was out there for 20 minutes. The second one wouldn't leave the stage, and the singer made some comment early on that REM was kicking them off the tour, so I think he just wanted to ruin the concert. Finally, Michael Stipe came out and started playing tambourine with them, and I think he also sang a song with them or something, and they got off the stage.

alpha_omega
10-24-2006, 03:25 PM
Worst concert for me was The Pat Travers Band & Foghat,I was young and stupid and thought I'd see what it was like to snort some whiskey while Travers was singing about it.The incident knocked me out cold and I missed all of Foghat.

ROFL...did you get to drink some cocaine too?...i guess not, otherwise you wouldn't have passed out.

Great story Nzoner...thanks for sharing!

buddha
10-24-2006, 03:49 PM
I saw Huey Lewis and the News out at Sandstone years ago...somebody gave me free tickets. It was awful. My date and I couldn't even stand to sit through the whole set...it was that bad.

Dark Horse
10-24-2006, 04:10 PM

Is it possible? No it couldn't be I'm sure I don't have a twin.

Cochise
10-25-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm not really into Tool, but when I saw them at Kemper in 2001 I wasn't very impressed. I didn't hear a lot that I knew, and so much of the show, nothing was really going on except some weirdness on the screen behind them.

A band opened for someone I forgot named 2 Skinnie Js that was horrible.

I had the misfortune of seeing Ween at a music festival ages ago and it was pathetic too.

Guru
10-25-2006, 12:19 AM
I'm not really into Tool, but when I saw them at Kemper in 2001 I wasn't very impressed. I didn't hear a lot that I knew, and so much of the show, nothing was really going on except some weirdness on the screen behind them.

A band opened for someone I forgot named 2 Skinnie Js that was horrible.

I had the misfortune of seeing Ween at a music festival ages ago and it was pathetic too.

hell the only song that I have heard from TOOL was featured on Beavis and Butthead. I beleive butthead said something like, "If I could make my hand move that fast, I wouldn't ever leave the house."

Laughed my ass off.

plbrdude
10-25-2006, 11:30 AM
Robin Trowers

I went with a friend even though I really hadn't heard much of Trowers' stuff. Ten minute, noodling guitar solos aren't really my cup of tea.

I thought I was going to slip into a coma during that thing. :shake:

speaking of 10 min solos, i saw frank marino & mahogany rush at muni prolly round '80. i thought most songs were never gonna end. i coulndn't wait for them to get off the stage.

Swanman
10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
There are too many horrible opening acts to even mention, so I'll stick to headliners. I saw Candlebox back in '95 and they were atrocious. Sponge opened and blew them off the stage. The other show that sucked was Smashing Pumpkins. I like most of their cds, but live it just sounded like distortion. After seeing them live, I understood why Billy Corgan did everything in the studio but drums.

For those that hated Live in concert, they must have lost their fastball bigtime, both in concert and the studio. I saw them in '94 at a smallish theater on their Throwing Copper tour and they put on a damn good show. But after that album their music went straight to crap in a hurry.

Ebolapox
10-25-2006, 01:23 PM
three words, and one of them is a disease...Blind...Willie...Syphilis

on a more serious note, I'd go with iron butterfly

Ebolapox
10-25-2006, 01:27 PM
Toss up between The Screaming Cheetah Wheelies (they were opening for the Allman Brothers for some reason) and the Spin Doctors (part of some festival I was at). Both seriously sucked.

ROFL... the screaming cheetal wheelies... I'd forgotten about them