PDA

View Full Version : A question for those of you who said the faiduhs would choke

Raiderhater
01-07-2001, 05:52 PM
Some of you have said all season that the faiduhs were going to choke. It is yet to happen. I am just curious, do you still think they will?

ChiefsFanatic
01-07-2001, 05:59 PM
I don't think they will choke, I think they will get beat. I can't wait for the Raven's D to run all over Gannon and company. Wheatley will not be able to run, and the dink and dunk offense plays right into the hands of Baltimore.

I think Gruden has removed the stigma of chokers, I just don't think they can score on Baltimore's D. They proved that all season by allowing the fewest points in a 16 game season. They have not allowed a 100 yard rusher in what, 36 games. Eddie George had 90-some, and Wheatley is no Eddie George.

And with Gannon only throwing 5-8 yard passes, the receivers will be sore and gunshy by halftime.

ChiefsFanatic <------- Hates the Raiders

hawaiianboy
01-07-2001, 06:20 PM
I have a question....

When does it stop being considered a choke if we lose? The Super Bowl?.... There have been many, on many boards, predicting a "choke" every week of this season.... We weren't supposed to be able to score on the Saints or the Fins... and now the "best D of all time" (bullsh!t).. the Ravens...

Being that we are the "loved" Raiders... I never expect anybody's credit or respect...
but this is a solid team... We don't have any superstars (maybe Woodson).... we didn't get 11 players in the Pro Bowl like the Titans.... we're not sexy like the Moss led Vikes... but we are solid....

We run the ball well, we play good special teams, we're well coached and we're a strong safety away from being a pretty damn good defense...

Whatever happens the rest of the way.... it's been a very enjoyable season.

Raiderhater
01-07-2001, 06:31 PM
Hawiianboy, how many times this season did you talk about the Chiefs as if they were a substandard team? Granted they were, but you didn't no that till at least half way through the season. But to say it at the beginning of the season? Especially since we pretty much owned you through the '90s. Just remember, what goes around comes around.

Bwana
01-07-2001, 06:49 PM
hawaiianboy: I have a bad feeling the Raiders are not only going ot the big dance, but win the damn thing! Nothing personal, but I sure as hell hope I'm wrong! :D

mlyonsd
01-07-2001, 07:03 PM
I am afraid that the only Raider that chokes is the poor guy that accidently swallows the champagne cork during the locker room celebration. I just hope it's either Gruden or Davis.

They looked pretty good yesterday.

hawaiianboy
01-07-2001, 07:05 PM
raiderhate...."Substandard team"... hmm

I've talked my fair share of smaque, no doubt.... but if you go back to preseason you'll also find these statements from me:

KC ran the ball so well in '99 because of their great offensive line.

Eric Hicks was going to blow up this year.

D Edwards was the top OLB in space other than Derrek Brooks.

KC would finish 6-10

Willie Shaw sucks

Chester would not ever live up to his potential

As a head coach, Gunther was a hell of a DC.

Sly reminded me of another JJ Stokes

Shaw sucks

Elvis can't carry a team

Stoyshankovich

Rison was done

Shaw sucks

Oakland would own you.

You decide what was true or not...
and feel free to add anything you remember I said.

Oh yeah, Shaw sucks.

WisChief
01-07-2001, 07:26 PM
Choking is not possible now. That term is defined (by me at least)as starting off like they did this year (hot) and then choking away any chance of going to the big dance! Much like Gunther and our beloved Chiefs did this year and last. Loosing streaks are chokes and loosing a game is not. The faiders have reached a new level and no matter how much we hate, despise, or other wise them they are beyond choking. All we can hope for now is that they will blow come the next game!

Mosbonian
01-07-2001, 07:36 PM
jq:

Can you help me here?

I think you are being a little vague on your feelings about Shaw....could you clarify that for me?(LOL)

As for respect..you know as well as we all do that it pretty much gags a good Chiefs fan to have to admit that the Raiders are on a roll this year. We have all waited for that "patented" Raiders choke ( you must admit history was on our side), but, to Gruden's and the teams credit, it never happened. As I said in another thread, I believe that you will have a good test next week, and if you survive that one the SB could be all yours.

Just watch that secondary if you meet the Vikes, I think Moss and Carter could cause you problems.

mark

hawaiianboy
01-07-2001, 08:02 PM
mark....

I think I may have been a bit hasty in my assesment of Mr. Shaw..... Could you keep him around another 5 years or so.... so that I may make a proper judgement....

Woodson and Allen sure have looked lost without his guidance..... another couple of years of Willie's amazing guidance and Woodson could have been the next.......... Pat Dennis.

Raiderhater
01-08-2001, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by hawaiianboy
raiderhate...."Substandard team"... hmm

I've talked my fair share of smaque, no doubt.... but if you go back to preseason you'll also find these statements from me:

KC ran the ball so well in '99 because of their great offensive line.

Eric Hicks was going to blow up this year.

D Edwards was the top OLB in space other than Derrek Brooks.

KC would finish 6-10

Willie Shaw sucks

Chester would not ever live up to his potential

As a head coach, Gunther was a hell of a DC.

Sly reminded me of another JJ Stokes

Shaw sucks

Elvis can't carry a team

Stoyshankovich

Rison was done

Shaw sucks

Oakland would own you.

You decide what was true or not...
and feel free to add anything you remember I said.

Oh yeah, Shaw sucks.

Hawiianboy, thank you for proving my point. In two of those you said things that did happen, but you didn't know it for sure till it did. Our record and the faiduhs owning us are those two points. All I said was that you talked down our team, why can't we talk down yours? Is there a double standard being applied here?

ROYC75
01-09-2001, 12:37 PM
Can we roll the season into next year ? heheeh..Good year to you guys in Silver and Black...But not switch'n sides! Go Ravens!

[Edited by ROYC75 on 01-09-2001 at 12:40 PM]

hawaiianboy
01-09-2001, 12:47 PM
raiderhader....

Don't know exactly what point you are trying to make.... but by all means feel free to talk down the Raiders to yor hearts content...
Its part of the game.... If I couldn't handle it... you really think I'd be on a Chiefs board this past season or on a Donx board the year before?.... Fire away!... the Chiefs have given me enough ammo this past few years to fight a 100 sling wars....

NaptownChief
01-09-2001, 12:54 PM
Flyin'

Those are pretty amazing predictions...I can't say this very loud in hear but I have shared the same thought on SlyMo ever since the draft...I think I could still run better routes and I haven't played since my freshman year in college. I hope that is just due to piss poor coaching and will change but I am not holding my breath.

[Edited by jl80 on 01-09-2001 at 01:00 PM]

DaWolf
01-09-2001, 12:56 PM
It is virtually impossible for them to choke. They got one of the easiest schedules around. They have gotten all the breaks this year. Winning games with blocked kicks, fumbles that didn't happen, etc. They tried to choke away the division but we handed it right back to them by beating Denver. Every team they needed to win in the playoffs has won, giving them HFA. There are no good QB's left to face, and their weakness had been pass defense. The NFC field is the weakest it has ever been. There is no way the Raiders can not win, even if they wanted to lose...

hawaiianboy
01-09-2001, 01:01 PM
Leight.....

Don't get me wrong.... I think he'll be a good player.... but I also think missing all the mini camps and training camp hurt him alot more than some people will admit, especially making the jump from small college ball.... I will say this, both Shanarat and Gruden liked him alot....

Plus our pick didn't exactly make me happy..... Darren Howard would sure look good in S & B.

DaWolf
01-09-2001, 01:35 PM
I hear they're thinking of moving Porter to safety...

hawaiianboy
01-09-2001, 03:28 PM
Probably a good move for him seeing the way he hits people on special teams....... but he will fight it..... Either he'll get his head straight or he'll be a flop like Damaene Douglas was for us.

TheFly
01-09-2001, 03:42 PM
The Raiders will win. It may be ugly, but they will still win. The Ravens haven't faced a potent backfield and receiver corps like the Raiders have. Plus you have the unpredictable Gannon factor. That will have the Ravens tied up in knots just pinning him down. And if they do pin down Gannon then the other parts of Oakland's offense will just open up. For the Ravens to win, Oakland has to be totally off on offense. And I've only seen that a couple of times this season.

But I hate the Ravens almost as much as the Raiders, except that the Raiders did go back home to Oakland. They shoulda never left. It defines them, gives them attitude, and gives them their history. They are NOT an LA pretty boy team. They are NOT an SF pretty boy team. The Raiders are Oakland.

They'll succeed. And that's better than having NO AFC WEST team in the SB. Just wish it was the Chiefs...

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-09-2001, 03:50 PM
Fly,

I think the Ravens have faced more scrambling quarterbacks this year than almost any other team (Stewart in Pittsburg twice, Brunell in Jacksonville twice and McNair in Tennessee three times), not counting their out of conference schedule.

I don't think containing Gannon is going to be a new concept to them. Plus, Brunell and Stewart are threats to go deep also, unlike Gannon's normal passing strategy. I think you're going to see the Ravens cheating up on Gannon and dare him to run.

From the local scene here, it's more likely to see some spies on the TE's and backs hoping Gannon dumps something short.

I'm not saying that the Ravens are going to walk on the Raiders, but I am saying, don't think just because Gannon can scramble the Ravens don't know how to defend against him.

TheFly
01-09-2001, 04:06 PM
Well, I think the biggest difference between SirGannon and the other QBs the Ravens have faced is that he just makes slop happen! I mean, it's not even pretty. It's not anything. And what won't work for other QB's somehow Gannon gets away with it. I don't know what you should call it... Maybe the squiggle factor?!

Raiderhater
01-09-2001, 04:19 PM
Hawiianboy, it sounded (read) as if you were complaning because we were talking bad about your team. You couldn't belive that we were not giving your team its proper dues (wich is why I started the topic, to see if people would or not). But you got defensive, and I didn't understand why since you were in enemy territory. I mean what kinda things did you think we would say about our most hated rivals?

hawaiianboy
01-09-2001, 04:32 PM
raiderhader....

You're going to have to give me a cut and paste as to where "I complained about my team not getting its due".... because I don't remember that..... I did say some time ago that it was weak for someone to ride the Steelers win over us, a team that swept you, after losing that same weak to New England, following a loss to SD...
Which it is, IMO.....
If that is not what you are referring to.... by all means... clarify.

Raiderhater
01-09-2001, 04:36 PM
Hawiianboy, post #3 (of this topic) read like you were complaning because we were not giving your team their dues. Again that is the way it read, if I read it wrong I sincerely apologize.

hawaiianboy
01-09-2001, 04:43 PM
I must be slipping.... post 3 was meant to be sarcastic.....

I try and behave here.... Yeah I throw the occasional jab... but I don't start any Raider based threads or "Raiders own you" (we do, BTW) threads..... but I'm not going to behave to the point where it takes the fun out of it for me.

Raiderhater
01-09-2001, 04:51 PM
Hawiianboy, then I apologize. And I wouldn't wan't you to behave completely, what is the fun in that? Why even show up to an enemy board if you aren't going to screw with their collective heads a little?

TheFly
01-09-2001, 05:42 PM
My wife screws enough with my head thankyou... Anything jq does doesn't even come close!!!!!!! ;)