PDA

View Full Version : A note to Gunther Cunningham

Mr. Laz
10-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Do Blitz:

on 3rd and 20, when the other team is at midfield

idea- get to the QB so quick that the receivers don't have time to run 20 yards so they won't get the 1st down.

Do Blitz

1st and 20, when the other team is deep in their own territory.

idea - do a run stopping, meet at the QB type blitz ... make sure safeties watch for screen and draws. Can create the big mistake.

Don't Blitz

4th and 3, when team is on your 40

idea - they only need 3 yards, so the play is probably going to be a quick play. A slant,screen or quick dump pass ..... the EXACT kind of play that takes advantage of a blitz.

got it, Dumbass?!?!?!!!!!!!!!! :cuss:

JBucc
10-22-2006, 04:09 PM
No, he doesn't.

Halfcan
10-22-2006, 04:10 PM
I agree!!! The third and 20 was a huge play-terrible call by Gun.

TRR
10-22-2006, 04:10 PM
This definitely wasn't Gun's best play-calling game. The 3rd and 20 play was absolutely ridiculous. How can you possibly let a TE slip right down the middle of the field for a 21 yard game?

On a side note, I thought Jimmy Wilkerson was fantastic at DT!!

keg in kc
10-22-2006, 04:11 PM
I would've blitzed on 4th and 3 on the 40, too.

The blame there goes to whoever blew his assignment, because I'm sure Tomlinson was not left uncovered by design.

I'm aggressive like that, though, and I really, really hate giving the QB time in a situation like that. That's why Robinson's spinner really pissed me off...

ChiefsfaninPA
10-22-2006, 04:12 PM
You might want to keep bumping this thread throughout the evening. He probably won't log on for a few hours. :rolleyes:

ChiefsFanatic
Do Blitz:

on 3rd and 20, when the other team is at midfield

idea- get to the QB so quick that the receivers don't have time to run 20 yards so they won't get the 1st down.

Do Blitz

1st and 20, when the other team is deep in their own territory.

idea - do a run stopping, meet at the QB type blitz ... make sure safeties watch for screen and draws. Can create the big mistake.

Don't Blitz

4th and 3, when team is on your 40

idea - they only need 3 yards, so the play is probably going to be a quick play. A slant,screen or quick dump pass ..... the EXACT kind of play that takes advantage of a blitz.

got it, Dumbass?!?!?!!!!!!!!!! :cuss:

I was so frustrated watching us give up 3rd and 20, 3rd and 15, 3rd and 23. We were awesome on 1st and 2nd down, and horrible on 3rd [and 4th] down.

Iowanian
Maybe have someone cover Ladanian Tomlinson on crucial downs...and when you're playing that bullshit soft zone on 3rd and Long....Maybe, just maybe have the safeties play a couple of yards shy of the 1st down line.

Mr. Laz
10-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Maybe, just maybe have the safeties play a couple of yards shy of the 1st down line.
dam, who would of thought of such a concept!!! :eek:

:banghead:

Mr. Laz
10-23-2006, 10:56 AM
still waiting for gunther to show up and read his note. :harumph:

Chiefnj
10-23-2006, 10:58 AM
He's still waiting for people to show up at Arrowhead to tell him Bell is a bust.

Calcountry
10-23-2006, 11:20 AM
I would've blitzed on 4th and 3 on the 40, too.

The blame there goes to whoever blew his assignment, because I'm sure Tomlinson was not left uncovered by design.

I'm aggressive like that, though, and I really, really hate giving the QB time in a situation like that. That's why Robinson's spinner really pissed me off...Hehe, how did you like my offensive game plan? Except for near the end of the game when we had a 7 point lead, I would have run the ball 3 times and punted if we couldn't get the first. Our D had been making plays and we still had a 7 point lead, better to give them the long field.

And, wtf was Huard thinking on that fumble play. It's not like he wasn't getting heat from his right side all day, so he thinks he can roll left, slowly, and STILL have time to set himself and throw? That was a bad error in judgement, but other than that Huard more than made enough plays to make up for that lapse.

Ugly, almost still lost, but it was a win, and I will take it right now.

Fish
10-23-2006, 11:22 AM
So... am I crazy or is Gun getting more criticism after our win this week than he did last week after the PIT drubbing....?

I'm not defending him, I just find it odd that I don't remember reading this much Gunbashing last week....

Calcountry
10-23-2006, 11:23 AM
This definitely wasn't Gun's best play-calling game. The 3rd and 20 play was absolutely ridiculous. How can you possibly let a TE slip right down the middle of the field for a 21 yard game?

On a side note, I thought Jimmy Wilkerson was fantastic at DT!!It also seemed as if Gunther failed to make adjustments when it was clear in the second half, that San Diego did.

Mr. Laz
10-23-2006, 11:25 AM
So... am I crazy or is Gun getting more criticism after our win this week than he did last week after the PIT drubbing....?

I'm not defending him, I just find it odd that I don't remember reading this much Gunbashing last week....
because last week the entire team stunk up the joint.

yesterday the defense was playing pretty well so it made his coaching decision show up rather glaringly.

an all-out blitz on 4th and 3 is borderline fireable imo.

Fish
10-23-2006, 11:31 AM

yesterday the defense was playing pretty well so it made his coaching decision show up rather glaringly.

an all-out blitz on 4th and 3 is borderline fireable imo.

OK... that makes sense... carry on....

Calcountry
10-23-2006, 11:46 AM

an all-out blitz on 4th and 3 is borderline fireable imo.Its not like he hadn't called that earlier and had it handled before. I kept thinking, man, eventually you are going to get burned.

Gun got a little drunk with his early success, and got a little blitz happy.

fug it, he's a German, the people that invented blitzkrieg.

Mr. Laz
10-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Its not like he hadn't called that earlier and had it handled before.
not on 4th and 3 ... iirc the chargers only went for it on 4th down once in the entire game.

blitzing on a short down is generally not a wise call ... the offense is looking for a short,quick play and that's exactly the kind of play that kills a blitz.

it's like playing russion roulette but instead of having just 1 bullet in the gun, having 1 empty chamber instead.

not good odds at all. :shake:

if you gonna blitz on a short down, then you zone blitz. Bring several guy in but then drop guys back into the quick throwing lanes to try and confuse the QB. We just handed Rivers an easy TD pass on that one.

Coogs
10-23-2006, 12:55 PM

This is JMO. We are seeing the same trends from Guns defense that we have seen the past few years. Out of the gate strong the first 2 or 3 games, and a steady slide is the overall defensive stats the rest of the season. So far this season, we are doing the same thing the last 3 weeks. From a lofty scoring defense and overall defense after 3 weeks, we are down the middle of the pack area in both catagories three weeks later. Will the slide continue, or will things level off/get better? I hoping for the latter, but expecting the first part. A few games against some inept offenses the next few weeks should tell the tale.

htismaqe
10-23-2006, 01:03 PM
This is JMO. We are seeing the same trends from Guns defense that we have seen the past few years. Out of the gate strong the first 2 or 3 games, and a steady slide is the overall defensive stats the rest of the season. So far this season, we are doing the same thing the last 3 weeks. From a lofty scoring defense and overall defense after 3 weeks, we are down the middle of the pack area in both catagories three weeks later. Will the slide continue, or will things level off/get better? I hoping for the latter, but expecting the first part. A few games against some inept offenses the next few weeks should tell the tale.

You have to take into account who they have played.

Coogs
10-23-2006, 01:08 PM
You have to take into account who they have played.

I am. That is why I typed in the last part. Cleveland and Miami for starters have inept offenses. This trend of sliding should level off I would hope. Past history says it may not.

htismaqe
10-23-2006, 01:27 PM
I am. That is why I typed in the last part. Cleveland and Miami for starters have inept offenses. This trend of sliding should level off I would hope. Past history says it may not.

Well, then I'm not sure what your point is.

2 years ago, we started ANYTHING BUT strong. Gave up 34 in the opener, followed by 28, 24, and 24 respectively.

Last year we played the Jets and Raiders to start the season. Then we gave up 30 to the Broncos and 37 to the Eagles.

I think you're confusing this year with 2003. And there's one huge differentiator there - turnovers. We're actually stopping people this year without taking the ball away...

Coogs
10-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, then I'm not sure what your point is.

Me niether I guess. I'll stop babbling now. :p