PDA

View Full Version : Worst 5 Football Analysts/Reporters???

Herzig
01-07-2001, 08:01 PM
Heres mine..

1. Eric Dickerson-Great player, but he needs to learn how to
enunciate. Bring back Lynn Swann!!!!

2. Jerry Glanville-Watching him insults my intelligence sort
of like people who like WWF..

3. Dan Dierdork - enough said.

4. Jason Whitlock- Latest column proves my point

5. Phil Simms- Annoying as of late...

wutamess
01-07-2001, 08:08 PM
1.Bill Grigsby - Mna I'd pay someone to cut his tongue out.

2.Pat Summerall - Old and annoying... doesn't know wtf is ever going on.

3.John Madden - I think this guy talks to show that letters make words. Him and Summerall need to retire after this year. The one good thing I can see about th eend of the 2000 season is that these two aren't going to be in the booth anymore. Summerall is retiring.

4.Phil Simms - Man this guy reminds me of a wigger. He reminds me of Woody Harrelson on Money Train and/or White Men Can't Jump.

5.Can't think of one but Len Dawson is really starting to annoy the hell out of me lately. This guy is so wishy washy and he has ALL THE ANSWERS. Tie him a Grigsby up and dump them both in the Missouri River.

Gracie Dean
01-07-2001, 08:14 PM
BOOMER nff said

Bob Dole
01-07-2001, 08:16 PM
Queerdorf drove Bob Dole absolutely batty this afternoon...

hawaiianboy
01-07-2001, 08:29 PM
very short drive there, Bob.

AJKCFAN
01-07-2001, 08:31 PM
Both Simms and Madden both contradicted themselves over review calls this weekend.

In Miami/Oakland, when Fiedler's pass which was deflected, went backwards, picked up by James to be returned for a TD... Simmms says it should be a TD, the ball went backward, etc. Then, when it was reviewed and determined it was an incomplete pass and not a TD, Simms without skipping a breath says it was the right call, it wasn't a TD, great correction by the refs.

Today's Giants/Eagles game, the same sceanrio happened with Madden that made you think WTF all over again. An Eagle WR caught a ball near the ground while a Giant DB made contact with him at the moment he caught it. The Eagle got up and ran for a 1st down. Madeen says the Giant did not cause him to be down by contact, that the ball wasn't there yet. After seeing the replay, the refs said the Eagle was down and there goes Madden changing course and saying how right the call was, yada, yada, yada...

I usually respect Simms and Madden but for this weekend, they share the Worst Analysts Trophy...

DJay23
01-07-2001, 08:33 PM
Watch it roger, Lenny may be getting a little long in the tooth when it comes to broadcasting but he helped lead our team to it's early glory. I know you're just playin around though, but I will make like Otis Taylor on you ;).

1. By far Dickerson takes the cake. The guy finds the most obvious things and reports it to Al like a child showing his mommy he made a poopy.

2. Glanville needs to be strapped to his chair and given a shot of morphine before he goes on air. Way over the top on his little "excitement" act.

3. Dan Fouts makes me shudder. He is captain obvious. I think the SNL skit where he states, "I think the team that scores the most points will win."

4. Madden reminds me of someone who doesn't know where he is sometimes. He just starts talking about the most inconsequential things during a game. Stuff like butt sweat and chin straps.

5. Can't think of his name but the play by play announcer for Penn State. I know most of you have probably never heard him as he is new this year and I'm sure few of you have gotten out here and heard a game. Anyway the guy is totally monotone, he only raises or lowers the volume of his voice for emphasis. Has no emotion in his voice. He could put someone with ADD to sleep.

DJay23
01-07-2001, 08:35 PM
Oh, and if anyone has heard the color man for the Pittsburgh Steelers, well you know what I mean.

AJKCFAN
01-07-2001, 08:41 PM
DJay23:

I know who you are talking about. He is one annoying MF.

Also add the cmmentator on the radio for the Dolphins... another 1st rate a-hole

Bricky
01-07-2001, 08:49 PM
The radio announcers for the Chiefs are terrible. If you are listening to the game, and not watching it on TV, you don't even know what yard line the ball is on. They start talking as if the audience is aslo watching the game with them. There may be a big play and they won't tell how big of a gain or what yard line the ball is on.

I don't care about some bottled water or yogurt.

Rick Stephens
01-07-2001, 08:51 PM
I believe the color man your referring to for the Steelers if Myron Cope!

Bob Dole
01-07-2001, 09:25 PM
Good point, jq...

hawaiianboy
01-07-2001, 09:33 PM
(1) Kevin Harlan..... giddy as a school girl over players he likes.
....I'm waiting for him to ask Gonzo to the prom.

(2) Pat Summerall..... He should drink... he'd make more sense.

(3) Ian Engle/Mark May..... as boring as the Baltimore offense.

(4) Chris Collingsworth.... I keep wishing Howie would knock his nasally ass out.... or get Teri Hatcher to do it.

(5) Jerry Glanville.... Still can't believe someone actually let Fester run a team.

Special mention to Marty Schot who always looked like a mortician did his makeup and like he had to take a king sized dump.... probably a residual effect from coaching the Clowns and Chiefs.

Herzig
01-07-2001, 10:03 PM
Did anyone see the Madden/Dennis Miller impersonators today?
Freakin Hilarious!!!

ChiefsFanatic
01-07-2001, 10:07 PM
1. Eric Dickerson - at least he ain't in the booth
2. Dan Fouts - whoever said that he was Mr. Obvious was right on the money. "Hi folks, for those of you just tuning in, this is Monday Night Football, and today is Monday"
3. Ian Eagle/Mark May - I think they speek to the week talent pool for regional broadcasters
4. Bill Grigsby - Len needs to step in and intervene on Bill's drinking habit like Pat Summerall's friends did.
5. Any announcer who does not have enough balls to say that the refs flat out screwed up. And there is a lot of those.

Archie F. Swin
01-07-2001, 10:19 PM
who is the play by play man for KCFX . . . with the signature "Touchdown! . . . KAN-SAS CITY!" call? and how long has he been doing that?

------------------------------------------------------------
Pants,
How could someone be a fan for 12 years and know so little about a team?

AJKCFAN
01-07-2001, 10:33 PM
Mitch Holthus

DanT
01-08-2001, 12:57 AM
Speaking of that Fiedler pass that Simms contradicted himself on, I'm very curious to see if the NFL will have anything to say about that call. I think the officials messed up by calling it an incomplete forward pass: I believe it should have been called a backward lateral. (Note that "incomplete" backward laterals are live balls.) I think this was what Greg Gumbel was trying to say, also, but that Simms wasn't understanding what Gumbel was talking about. (Gumbel was complaining about how Intent was irrelevant when it comes to deciding if a pass is a forward pass or a backward lateral, remember? Simms seemed to be treating this play like a run-of-the-mill was-it-a-fumble or was-it-a-forward-pass situation, completely ignoring the fact that the pass did, in fact, land behind Fiedler.

Here's the deal: the intended receiver was only about 1 yard forward of Fiedler when Fiedler began his throwing motion: Fiedler got hit in the arm as he threw the ball but he still got a pass off (this was the subject of the review: was it a pass or a fumble?). The pass landed behind where Fiedler was when he threw it. That, to me, adds up to a backward lateral, which is a live ball. Hence, the Raiders should have been awarded a touchdown on the play, since they returned the ball for a TD.

Gumbel was arguing (correctly, I think) that the only thing that should matter on a toss that isn't caught is whether it landed in front of the thrower or behind the thrower: I agree with Gumbel. I'd like to see if the NFL agrees. I'm sure that Fiedler did not intend to throw a backward lateral, but that's what he did, so his team should have to bear the consequences.

By the way, according to sfgate.com, Gruden's anger about this call was based on his disagreement with whether Fiedler's arm was going forward or not when he was hit: in other words, Gruden felt that the play should have been called a fumble, so he doesn't agree with Gumbel and myself about why the play should have been a Raider TD, though he does agree with us that it should have been.

DanT
01-08-2001, 01:17 AM
I'm not completely sure, but I think that a "incomplete" backward lateral is considered a particular kind of fumble, as far as how the rules apply to it. Just to be clear, then, in my previous post, here's what Gruden said about that play:

"I thought his arm was on the way back," Gruden said. "I believe that was a fumble and a live football."

In other words, he feels it should have been called a fumble because Fiedler's arm was going backward: I feel it should have been called a "fumble" because Fiedler's arm was going forward and he tossed a "backward lateral".

Of course, the crew officiating the game knows a hell of a lot more about the rules than I do: I'm sure there's probably something wrong with my interpretation of the events and/or rules. This is why I'd like to hear what the league offices have to say about this play.

DanT
01-08-2001, 01:28 AM
OK. While I'm beating this dead horse, let me clarify what I mean by the role of intent. When a QB's intended target is well in front of him and his arm gets hit as he's bringing it forward, then it shouldn't matter whether the ball lands behind him or not: that's clearly an incomplete pass. What I'm arguing about is that the intended target was only about 1 yard in front of Fiedler and that Fiedler's arm got hit in such a way that it's unclear whether it affected the direction of the ball or not. Given how far the ball flew, it's pretty obvious that over 90% of the impetus for the ball came from Fiedler, not from the guy who hit his arm. Hence, I don't see why Fiedler should get the benefit of the presumption that he threw a forward pass (vs. a backward lateral). To me and to Greg Gumbel, he threw a backward lateral.

OK, I'll shut up now ;)

morphius
01-08-2001, 07:35 AM
Dan - I will disagree and say that it was an incomplete pass and that I agree completely with the call. When he started throwing the ball the guy might have been only a yard up, but by the time it would have gotten there the guy was already another 3-4 yards up from that point. So the spot where he would have been throwing to would have been even further up.

As far as his arm it was moving forward but was tourqued when his arm was hit. The point where the ball came out his hand was still behind his head so that the angle of his hand at the ball would not have yet been pointing in the direction he would have actually thrown the ball.

Plus I liked watching Gruden whine and pout like a little baby because he didn't understand the rule, even though I have seen similar calls at least twice this season.

redhed
01-08-2001, 10:55 AM
1. Dan Fouts - Captain Obvious
2. Madden - Corpral Annoying
3. Ian Eagle - Who the hell pronounces it EYE-ANN!!
4. Dickerson - Private Flub
5. Terry Bradshaw - See Dan Fouts (I loved Bradshaw as a player, but get him off of the air please, and soon!)

rh :mad:

Clint in Wichita
01-08-2001, 11:17 AM
5 worst?

Matt Millen
Ian Eagle
Pat Summerall
Eric Dickerson
Andrea Kramer

morphius
01-08-2001, 11:22 AM
As for the 5 worst, well, I can't even think of 5 good ones.

Mi_chief_fan
01-08-2001, 02:45 PM
Fouts-makes Dennis Miller look intelligent.
Madden-That 'coaches clicker' drives me crazy.
Mark May-Reminds me of Whitlock.
Bob Trumpy-Sounds like he needs to blow his nose.
Ed Werder-What a chicken $hit reporter.

Only 5? I can think of so many more.

milkman
01-08-2001, 06:37 PM
You guys have listed most of the really bad ones, but one of the absolute worst that seems to have been overlooked is Hank Goldberg.
Does that guy know abything about football?

Red and Gold Mania
01-08-2001, 06:54 PM
1.Greg Dumbel and Phill Simms. Simms talks way too much during the game.Somebody needs to put the tape across his friggin mouth.

2. Dennis Miller - enough said.
3. Madden - give him a big ass sandwich so he can shut up.

nmt1
01-09-2001, 06:22 AM
Dan Dierdorf is a complete moron.
Mark May is an idiot.
John Madden is...well...John Madden.

Anyone hear Dick Enburg, the biggest Titans fan in the world, on Sunday? He could barely contain himself. I thought he was going to cream his jeans everytime he talked about the Titans.

DiscoJones
01-09-2001, 10:19 AM
5 WORST:

Jim Nantz - Cry some more.

Randy Cross - I thought it was Geraldo the first time I heard this guy.

Jim Nantz - I think I'm gonna puke.

Bill Maas - No, you really don't know it all and you just end up sounding like a prima donna.

Jim Nantz - Did I mention that I don't like Jim Nantz for football, golf, baseball, gymnastics, NASCAR, horseracing, basketball, extreme sports, miniature golf, Battle of the Network Superstars, Battlebots, Battlestar Gallactica, American Gladiators, ping pong, all his crap in the Olympics....basically everything that he does. Something about the guy (I get a serious *phony* vibe off him) just rubs me wayyyyy the wrong way.

Packfan
01-09-2001, 03:04 PM
1. Pat Summerall: Should call it a good career already

2. Bob Gretz: Carl's yes man. Has been rock hard for a playoff win for seven years. Thought Linn Elliot's three misses should have been reviewed by the replay officials.

3. Eric Dickerson: I dont understand jive that well.

4. Mark May and Ian Eagles: These guys come as a package. They are one in the same. Before these two, there was Dan Jiggits and Ron Pitts. Green Bay got these two when they were horrible.

5. Joe Thiesmann: Yes his hair is perfect, he used to QB the Redskins, and he won a super bowl. How many times does he have to remind us?

6. Honorable mention: John Thompson. Did he attend the same english classes that Patrick Ewing attended?