PDA

View Full Version : McNair To Replace Griese in ProBowl

FloridaChief
01-08-2001, 08:03 AM
Don't know if anyone has seen this yet; I assume it's correct--it was published by the Denver Post.

A major slap in the face to Grbac. Can you really say that 'Air McNair' had anywhere near the season Elvis had?

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/rav0108a.htm

ansonsdad
01-08-2001, 08:12 AM
Yeah,I heard McNair was named the alternate a couple weeks back,and I agree it should have been EG.Guess winning count for everything.

morphius
01-08-2001, 08:12 AM
Well at least they will have Manning there to hit the WR's, otherwise they might get bored running their patterns over and over for nothing.

Bob Dole
01-08-2001, 08:35 AM
Bob Dole finds it incredibly difficult to believe that McNair had more PB votes than Elvis.

Has anyone else found vote totals, other than the top 20 overall?

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-08-2001, 08:37 AM
Well, lets do a little comparison here:

Yards Comp/Att TD/INT Rating #/Rat
Grbac 4169 326/547 28/14 89.9 4
McNair 2847 248/396 15/13 83.2 7

What this doesn't show is George vs. RBBC.... That's definitely a + on Tennessee's side, but again shows that a great RB can aid an average QB to wins, but not having a great RB can doom even an above-average year from a QB.

McNair bounced so many balls yesterday, I swore he was seeing receivers that weren't there. I've seen him play quite a bit (being in Baltimore, if the Ravens aren't on, one of the other AFCC teams usually is) and I'm not impressed. As someone else here stated, he's a Running Back who can occasionally throw. After all, how hard is it to call "Hand-off to George, Hand-off to George, QB Draw"?

(sigh)

Mile High Mania
01-08-2001, 09:24 AM
I agree with you guys... Grbac should have been the replacement. Hell, he probably should have been in there instead of Griese anyway, but I can't do anything about that.

morphius
01-08-2001, 09:48 AM
MHM - I guess it goes to show how weak the talent pool is when a QB who is injured most of the year gets into the probowl and because of the injury he is replaced by a QB who can't complete a pass over 10 yards.

It is even more scary that Gannon, Griese and Grbac makes the AFC West equal, if not better then, to all the other divisions in the NFL at the QB spot.

Mile High Mania
01-08-2001, 09:55 AM
Those 3 may not be the names that most of us think of when we think of GREAT QBs... but, they've all 3 had great years in 2000.

You know what's worse... Dilfer and Collins are in Title games!

bkkcoh
01-08-2001, 10:02 AM
Wouldn't that go to show you that you don't need a great QB to win the SB!!

For christ's sake, Hostettler won a SB also....

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
01-08-2001, 10:22 AM
To win a SuperBowl, you need a rock-solid defense, a steady running game, a sure-handed TE, and a solid (not flashy) QB. Plus, good quality special teams play.

I think that St. Louis last year was more of an aberation than the "wave of the future". How long has Minnesota had this "killer" offense? So far, no SB rings yet.

As much as I hate to say it, Gunther's "idea" was right last year, (he just didn't follow through). Run the ball down their throats, then pass over them when they cheat up. Play GOOD solid attacking defense (there you go, Gaz), make the plays on special teams you're supposed to (like chip shot FGs).

Football is not rocket science. The fancier the plays, the more likely to screw up you are. It's EXECUTION that wins ballgames on a consistant basis, not smoke and mirrors.

morphius
01-08-2001, 12:59 PM
Great short article, had me laughing anyway.

Broncos: Griese to be Replaced by McNair in Pro Bowl

News
Pro Bowl quarterback Brian Griese will be forced to skip the Pro Bowl as he rehabs his surgically repaired shoulder. Last week, we speculated that Elvis Grbac was the only logical choice to replace the NFL's leader in passer rating. However, in the new-look, illogical NFL, where teams like the Rams win it all and Trent Dilfer actually has a chance to play in the Super Bowl, it just made too much sense to go with Grbac. As such, the NFL is expected to annouce that Steve McNair (2,847 yards, 15 touchdown passes) will go instead of Grbac (4,169 and 28).

Views
What a freakin' joke. Begging the question: did the fans have a say in this horrible decision?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/fanball/20010108/fanball-broncosgriesetoberep.html

ROYC75
01-08-2001, 01:18 PM
SLAP SLAP Take that EG...this is a joke! McNair in PB over EG....SAD SAD DAY in Chiefsland!