PDA

View Full Version : Merriman is officially suspended.

B2chiefsfan
10-23-2006, 02:05 PM
4 GAMES

Confirmed on NFL Network...

jersey
10-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Effing cheater.

All there is to it. No excuse - he cheated. There is no forgiveness for steroid users.

L.A. Chieffan
10-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Him and Welbourne shoulda hooked up while he was in town.

alpha_omega
10-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Guess he won't be defensive player of the year.

BIG_DADDY
10-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Effing cheater.

All there is to it. No excuse - he cheated. There is no forgiveness for steroid users.

ROFL

PastorMikH
10-23-2006, 02:39 PM
NFL "Shawn, we had a deal. You were supposed to BEAT the Chiefs for your appeal to go through!"
SM "I know, I know. I'm SORRY!!!"
NFL "IT'S TOO LATE FOR THAT, YOUR RIGHT TO APPEAL IS WITHDRAWN! NOW GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE WE TACK ON ANOTHER GAME FOR LOSING WHILE ON ROIDs!!!"

JimNasium
10-23-2006, 02:40 PM
he is on roid

PastorMikH
10-23-2006, 02:41 PM
he is on roid

Are you asking us or telling us there TommyKat?

:D

JimNasium
10-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Are you asking us or telling us there TommyKat?

:D
are you on roid

ChiefsCountry
10-23-2006, 02:54 PM
But Merriman only made someone in the league office mad, all of the NFL is on roids.

sedated
10-23-2006, 02:55 PM
I wonder if that stuff was pumping through his system when he ended Priest's career.

I like how they waited until after our game to suspend him.

the NFL had to wait so they could protect their precious Donkees :cuss:

vailpass
10-23-2006, 02:56 PM
I wonder if that stuff was pumping through his system when he ended Priest's career.

Huh?

carlos3652
10-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Denver plays them on the 4th game suspended...lol

donkhater
10-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Huh?
I imagine that he's suggesting that if the NFL suspended him prior to our game, he would come OFF suspension the week Denver plays them.

Thus, by suspending him AFTER the KC game, he'll still be sitting out when SD goes to Denver.

vailpass
10-23-2006, 03:10 PM
I imagine that he's suggesting that if the NFL suspended him prior to our game, he would come OFF suspension the week Denver plays them.

Thus, by suspending him AFTER the KC game, he'll still be sitting out when SD goes to Denver.

Oh, thanks. Tin foil hat time huh?
I WANT TO BELIEVE

dtebbe
10-23-2006, 07:59 PM

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but he does this forearm/elbow thing to the head (the same thing he did to Priest) quite often. I have to go back and look at tape, but I think he tried to do it to someone yesterday (LJ I think), but he wiffed a little and it was a glancing blow.

DT

ChiefFan31
10-24-2006, 04:59 AM
Effing cheater.

Well, you might want to stop watching just about all sports. There sure is a lot of "cheaters" out there.

Im sure bummed about this guy missing four games. Both of their top pass rushers are out for a month.

penguinz
10-24-2006, 07:17 AM

Your and f'ing idiot. He appealed the suspension. They had to rule on the appeal before they could officially suspend him.

jidar
10-24-2006, 07:36 AM
This is good for us, but they should just stop testing for roids. I simply don't give a shit if an athelete wants to shave off 10 years of his life to be better at sports. Hell my cheeseburger addiction is probably doing me a lot worse.

bkkcoh
10-24-2006, 07:47 AM
I really liked how he stated that he would take responsibility for his actions, but yet he is appealing his suspension.... I wouldn't expect anything less with someone with his background. :banghead:

Chiefnj
10-24-2006, 08:11 AM
From what I've read, as of last week Merriman did not have an agent. At the time of the positive test result, there was no agent listed for him over at NFLPA.ORG. It appears that Merriman wasn't sure what to do and had to scramble to find his own Jackie Chiles. That's why you have a somewhat bizarre timeline and news of his suspension prior to it being finalized, etc.

sd4chiefs
10-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Merriman is trying to weasel out of his suspention.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061024-9999-1s24chargers.html

Merriman appeals drug ban; attorney blames supplement

Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman will play at least the next two weeks as he awaits a hearing to appeal his pending four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Merriman, the 2005 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, tested positive for a banned substance earlier this month. His hearing is tentatively scheduled for Nov. 7.

Yesterday, Merriman's attorney said he believed the substance for which Merriman tested positive was the anabolic steroid nandrolone. David Cornwell, who has represented numerous NFL players in such appeals, said he believed nandrolone was, unbeknownst to Merriman, in a nutritional supplement Merriman has taken for some time.

“He is not taking steroids,” Cornwell said. “ ... Shawne took supplements and has taken supplements for quite some time. He did not go into the back alley somewhere and put a needle in his butt for steroids.”

Merriman was at the team's complex yesterday. He addressed teammates and coaches and late in the afternoon spoke to the media.

“Wow!” Merriman said quietly, having prepared a statement beforehand but then speaking without notes. “This whole thing that has happened has been a hard process. But I'm dealing with it. ... I'm not running from this situation. I'm not running from anybody. I'm going to be straight up and honest from (the start) and try to deal with it accordingly. Hopefully, nobody makes any kind of judgment or anything that makes me guilty for anything, because nothing has been done wrong on my part.

“I have no reason to do anything wrong, especially when I'm already in the spotlight and doing things and trying to present to people the right and wrong way to go about things. Obviously, this is a mistake that has to be dealt with correctly, and hopefully no judgment is made before anything else comes out.”

He did not take questions.

“I won't answer anything,” he said. “I'm not allowed. Trust me, there are a lot of things I really want to say. I'm not allowed to say anything. As soon as I find out I can comment on the facts and the things that are going on, I will.”

Merriman's attorney and others close to him, as well as teammates and Chargers officials, were angry the news of the positive test and pending suspension was leaked to ESPN.
The league makes positive tests public only after a player has been suspended, and Merriman has not yet been suspended. The Collective Bargaining Agreement says that any club or club employee who publicly divulges information about positive drug tests can be fined up to $500,000.

Accordingly, no one with the team would directly comment about Merriman's positive test.

They did, however, express support.

“We love the guy,” defensive end Luis Castillo said. “We're sticking with him. We told him that. He's a strong guy. He's going to come back from this.”

Merriman apologized to teammates for being a distraction and told them that some of the information that has been reported is inaccurate.

Cornwell, who has represented many players involved in banned substance violations (as well as Reggie Bush's family in his issues with the NCAA), said he has won appeals based on the same defense he is presenting for Merriman.

Nandrolone, a steroid that naturally occurs in the body in small doses, has been at the center of numerous overturned tests worldwide. At least one study showed that the combination of over-the-counter supplements and exercise can result in a positive nandrolone test.

Cornwell believes something more sinister is at work – a supplement maker inserting nandrolone into its product without putting it on the label.

“(Merriman) has been playing, unwittingly, Russian Roulette with his career, because he has been taking the same supplements and has been subjected to testing and hasn't yielded a positive test,” Cornwell said. “So he thought the supplements he was taking were safe.”

Cornwell will attend the Nov. 7 hearing in New York with Merriman. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell or one of his designees will decide Merriman's fate at that point.

Also, an NFLPA representative, a court reporter and a representative of the management council will be present.

Merriman will remain active pending the outcome of the hearing. That means he will play Sunday against the St. Louis Rams and Nov. 5 against Cleveland.

According to the league's substance abuse policy, a player's “A” and “B” samples are tested. If both are positive, the player is notified he faces suspension. At that point, the player can challenge the ruling.

A source said yesterday that Merriman's legal team will have the supplement in question tested to see whether there is a steroidal agent present. Another source said Merriman was “confused” by the positive result because he “knew what substances were banned” and “he reads labels.”

A source close to Merriman said Merriman has been “a rock” but is distraught over the prospect of missing any games, and he wishes he could simply forfeit his entire salary instead of having to sit out.

If Merriman is ultimately suspended, he will lose almost $73,000 of his $310,000 salary.

jspchief
10-24-2006, 09:56 AM
As far as I recall, whether he knew the supplement contained the substance is of no relevance. At least that's been the case with ephedra.

If you think about it, that excuse is too easy.

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 10:08 AM
As far as I recall, whether he knew the supplement contained the substance is of no relevance. At least that's been the case with ephedra.

Two words:

MIKE
CLOUD

Cloud tested positive for nandrolone (same substance Merriman was using) and he claimed it was in a supplemant but wasn't listed in the ingredients.

Tough shit, Shawne.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2003-03-27-cloud-suspension_x.htm

BIG_DADDY
10-24-2006, 10:14 AM

Calling it Nandrolone complicates things as most people have never heard of that before and assume it could be found in supplement. Nandrolone is Deca-Durabolin a substance that could never be found in a supplement. Deca isn't used so much for it's anabolic effect as much as it's used in conjunction with something else (my guess would be HGH) to aid in tissue repair and joint lubrication. That being said anyone who thinks most athlete's in the NFL are clean is just fooling themself, Merriman just got caught.

Fish
10-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Has anybody brought up the line "DJ would have had DROY last year if it wouldn't have been for Merriman's roids?"

Not that I feel there is any truth in it, but I figured it would have been said already..... where are all the DJ homers?

Redrum_69
10-24-2006, 10:23 AM
KC Fish

YOur mom is in my top three for MROY due to her performace in my basement. She got one solo "sack" and it was a gain for me and a loss for her.

jspchief
10-24-2006, 10:29 AM
Has anybody brought up the line "DJ would have had DROY last year if it wouldn't have been for Merriman's roids?"

Not that I feel there is any truth in it, but I figured it would have been said already..... where are all the DJ homers?Odell Turman would have been DRoY is Merriman wasn't.

DJ may have deserved consideration, but the simple fact is his rookie year was largely overlooked by the media.

Jmart
10-24-2006, 10:31 AM
So is this idiot playing the next two weeks or isn't he?

jspchief
10-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Calling it Nandrolone complicates things as most people have never heard of that before and assume it could be found in supplement. Nandrolone is Deca-Durabolin a substance that could never be found in a supplement. Deca isn't used so much for it's anabolic effect as much as it's used in conjunction with something else (my guess would be HGH) to aid in tissue repair and joint lubrication. That being said anyone who thinks most athlete's in the NFL are clean is just fooling themself, Merriman just got caught.Yea, but my point is that none of that is relevant anyway.

If the substance is in your system, it makes no difference how it got there. The defense that Merriman is trying to argue has already failed numerous times.

BIG_DADDY
10-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Yea, but my point is that none of that is relevant anyway.

If the substance is in your system, it makes no difference how it got there. The defense that Merriman is trying to argue has already failed numerous times.

I think it's more damage control than anything else.

Fish
10-24-2006, 10:53 AM
KC Fish

YOur mom is in my top three for MROY due to her performace in my basement. She got one solo "sack" and it was a gain for me and a loss for her.

Redrum,

I heard about the "performace". Except when mother recalls it, she happened to be the QB, and you were...well... the receiver, due to your inability to "stand tall" at gametime. She mentioned something about you crying uncontrolably, slipping in your own puddle of butt-slushy, and forcing you to leave before you had a chance to shower.