PDA

View Full Version : Is Geddy Lee a bust?

Lzen
10-23-2006, 05:36 PM
He has had a few good songs -Tom Sawyer is a classic - but Spirit of Radio was a weak effort -after that I think his Rush career was over. He seems to sing way too high and has been criticized on CP repeatedly while putting out several half assed recordings. The Rush in Rio was only another live album and they haven't released a studio record in almost 5 years.

So is he worth the spending money buying Rush records??

KcMizzou
10-23-2006, 05:37 PM
Is that the one hit wonder that recorded that Huck Finn song?

Redcoats58
10-23-2006, 05:39 PM
That dude has the most annoying voice ive ever heard.

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 05:48 PM
There time has past I am afraid..but here is a tribute for you!!!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSweDJP1CAM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSweDJP1CAM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

StcChief
10-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Best LP was the first RUSH with the pinkish cover.

Working man etc.

siberian khatru
10-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Do not underestimate his synth playing on "Subdivisions."

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 05:51 PM
I used to listen to 2112 wasted and out of my mind as a youth..one of the best 20 minute songs ever..wait a minute..I think it's the only 20 minute song

siberian khatru
10-23-2006, 05:57 PM
I used to listen to 2112 wasted and out of my mind as a youth..one of the best 20 minute songs ever..wait a minute..I think it's the only 20 minute song

Prog-rock is full of 20-minute songs.

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Prog-rock is full of 20-minute songs.
By prog rock..do you mean recent artists??

Excuse my ignorance :shake:

Lzen
10-23-2006, 06:08 PM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSweDJP1CAM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BSweDJP1CAM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
So you're saying he's lost his burst?

siberian khatru
10-23-2006, 06:09 PM
By prog rock..do you mean recent artists??

Excuse my ignorance :shake:

Progressive rock ... genre from the 70s (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP, King Crimson) carried on by more recent groups of the 80s, 90s, today (Spock's Beard, Marillion, Porcupine Tree, etc.). Multi-instrumentation, complex arrangements, odd time signatures, suite-length songs, pretentious, overblown. Most folks either love it or hate it.

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 06:14 PM
So you're saying he's lost his burst?
Rush has not come out with any good albums in a while..I guess I was spoiled by fly by night, 2112..moving pictures..
they can still perform(although they are not getting any younger)
Thats Rush in general..now Lee still sounds the same to me..so I guess I was looking at the overall picture,rather than just Lee..

Progressive rock ... genre from the 70s (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP, King Crimson) carried on by more recent groups of the 80s, 90s, today (Spock's Beard, Marillion, Porcupine Tree, etc.). Multi-instrumentation, complex arrangements, odd time signatures, suite-length songs, pretentious, overblown. Most folks either love it or hate it.
Gotchya..thanks for the explanation..I dont remember too many songs as long as 2112..other than Terrapin station by the Dead..maybe it was just my tastes at the time..

Baconeater
10-23-2006, 06:16 PM
In a Gadda Da Vida takes up a whole album side.

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 06:18 PM
In a Gadda Da Vida takes up a whole album side.
I was just thinking off of the top of my head..but thanks for stumping bill parcells anyway ;)

Baconeater
10-23-2006, 06:20 PM
I was just thinking off of the top of my head..but thanks for stumping bill parcells anyway ;)
You are old enough to remember what an "album" is, aren't you?

Ari Chi3fs
10-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Halfcan would have lost his burst, however, he has yet to even HAVE a burst to lose.

plbrdude
10-23-2006, 06:26 PM
max webster wouldn't even take him off rushs' hands

Easy 6
10-23-2006, 06:27 PM
I swear i've seen debates about Rush almost come to blows, as Siberian said its a love or hate deal. To be honest i fall into the latter category.

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 06:27 PM
You are old enough to remember what an "album" is, aren't you?
I am 41..so..of course I do

SNR
10-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Halfcan will be around shortly to tell you all to keep f*cking doubting Geddy Lee.

Lzen
10-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Halfcan will be around shortly to tell you all to keep f*cking doubting Geddy Lee.

He's the reason I made this thread. That stupid Ty Law thread he started.
:shake:

ChiefFan31
10-23-2006, 06:52 PM
I picked up on it. Geddy Lee has no second level burst. At all.

Archie F. Swin
10-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Neil Peart was a draft day move of historical proportions.
I think Rush's body of work would consist of 2-3 albums had it not been for his aquisition.

TinyEvel
10-23-2006, 06:59 PM
In my mind, they lost it with that album with the Anthony Michael Hall-looking kid wtih the binoculars riding the rocket. Geddy cut his mane into a Charles Manson Mullet and it was over for me.

siberian khatru
10-23-2006, 07:00 PM
Neil Peart was a draft day move of historical proportions.
I think Rush's body of work would consist of 2-3 albums had it not been for his aquisition.

Truly a double-threat talent.

Lzen
10-23-2006, 07:00 PM

Heh, you have apparently never heard of Dream Theater.

-A Change Of Seasons

-Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

-Octavarium

Archie F. Swin
10-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Rush has not come out with any good albums in a while..

I disagree...Vapor Trails is probably their best since '82-'83

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 07:21 PM

-A Change Of Seasons

-Octavarium
Stop owning me goddamnit!!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

J/K :p

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 07:22 PM
I disagree...Vapor Trails is probably their best since '82-'83
When did Vapor Trails come out??

Lzen
10-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Stop owning me goddamnit!!!! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

J/K :p

BUt you make it so easy. :p

Lzen
10-23-2006, 07:24 PM
When did Vapor Trails come out??

Vapor Trails came out in 2002. Very good album, IMO.

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 07:25 PM
BUt you make it so easy. :p
I had a rough weekend :drool: :doh!: ;)

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Vapor Trails came out in 2002. Very good album, IMO.
Thanks..I will have to check that out

Archie F. Swin
10-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Thanks..I will have to check that out

There's a song on VP called Peaceable Kingdom inspired by the events of 9/11. Its a very moving song, both lyrically and musically.

Lzen
10-23-2006, 07:37 PM
There's a song on VP called Peaceable Kingdom inspired by the events of 9/11. Its a very moving song, both lyrically and musically.

:thumb:

I also really enjoy Earthshine.

Baconeater
10-23-2006, 07:40 PM

-A Change Of Seasons

-Octavarium
Is one of those the song you guys were rocking out to Sat night? I seem to remember that going for a while.

Baconeater
10-23-2006, 07:42 PM
I am 41..so..of course I do
:skip:

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 07:43 PM
:skip:
F*ckin wise ass ROFL

Miles
10-23-2006, 07:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrati

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 07:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrati
That was good :thumb:

Lzen
10-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Is one of those the song you guys were rocking out to Sat night? I seem to remember that going for a while.

I was kinda hammered so I don't remember for sure. I'm pretty sure it was something off Live At Budakon. I think it might've been Stream Of Conciousness. That song is a cool instrumental, but I don't think it's extremely long.

Ultra Peanut
10-23-2006, 08:50 PM
HERE HE COMES

Halfcan
10-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Wow nice thread. I have always wondered why someone that says they like Rock music- does not like Rush. Oh the high singing thing- Plant, Tate, Dickinson, Halford sing notes only a bat can hear and people bitch about Geddy?? Early on he had to blast it out there or you would not be able to hear him over Alex and Neil. Peart in the early days played with the sticks backwards-creating incredible power ala John Bonham. Of course Alex was just blazing away the solos which blasted through a stack of Marshals. I have alwyas liked the passion and power of his voice-and more so after the Permanent Waves album.

Funny how people say they have not put out anything good lately-must not have heard Vapor Trails, Rush in Rio, R30 and Feedback-which have probably topped 10 million units by now. Plus they have a new CD due out the first of the year-that could end up being one of their best. All reports say they are going in yet another musical direction.

The critics and most media outlets have ignored Rush or slammed them their whole careers-so I think a lot of the BS comes from them.

Geddy is an amazing person that does a lot of charity work and is widely thought of as the best bass player ever-so I take all the slams with a grain of salt.

Go listen to rap or watch American Idol if you don't like REAL musicians.

Halfcan
10-23-2006, 10:40 PM
:thumb:

I also really enjoy Earthshine.

Nice choice-I freakin love that song, Ghost Rider, Ceiling Unlimited, Out of the Cradle, and How it is, are all very solid songs.

Geddy's voice sounds great, the lyrics are amazing, and basically they went back to a 3 piece band again. Considering all the tragedy Neil went through-it amazes me this CD is so good.

Halfcan
10-23-2006, 10:43 PM

Nice choice Bill-that was the SARS Benfit in Toronto for the folks that didn't know. They blew every band off the stage-especially the Stones who headlined-which I will never understand.

Easy 6
10-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Told you all this band inspires fistfights, i dont tell people what music to like and DONT like being told what music to like, and DONT like being told my tastes suck because i dont share your views Halfcan. To each their own and why get sooooo snotty over it???

Bill Parcells
10-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Nice choice Bill-that was the SARS Benfit in Toronto for the folks that didn't know. They blew every band off the stage-especially the Stones who headlined-which I will never understand.
The Stones suck dude..I remember Lynyrd Skynyrd opening up for the headlining Stones in the early 70's and Skynyrd got the shit..the Stones were humiliated because Skynyrd got the bigger applause..

But that was a great live performance there courtesy of youtube!!

Halfcan
10-23-2006, 10:49 PM
Told you all this band inspires fistfights, i dont tell people what music to like and DONT like being told what music to like, and DONT like being told my tastes suck because i dont share your views Halfcan. To each their own and why get sooooo snotty over it???

I don't give a crap what you listen too?? This thread was more to give me shit than to bag Rush, but I am not going to miss an oportunity to pimp my fav band.

If I hear someone say a band is good that I have not heard of-I go check them out-a lot of people don't know what they sound like or what they are all about because they never get played.

JBucc
10-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Man Rush really sucks. Shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone since their Canadian, sucking is just a right of passage to be Canadian. Did you know Rush is the band most listened to by people who commit suicide? Not because they have depressing lyrics or anything, because just hearing Geddy Lee's voice will drive a deaf man to put one in his temple just to end the pain.

KcMizzou
Halfcan's reactions are the whole point of these threads. Since every third post of his has something to do with the heavenly sounds of the Greatest Band Of ALL Time, people tend to make fun of them. It gets him all riled up... great fun.

P.S. Rush blows goats... always has. True story.

Bill Parcells
Man Rush really sucks. Shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone since their Canadian, sucking is just a right of passage to be Canadian. Did you know Rush is the band most listened to by people who commit suicide? Not because they have depressing lyrics or anything, because just hearing Geddy Lee's voice will drive a deaf man to put one in his temple just to end the pain.
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Halfcan
10-23-2006, 10:53 PM
The Stones suck dude..I remember Lynyrd Skynyrd opening up for the headlining Stones in the early 70's and Skynyrd got the shit..the Stones were humiliated because Skynyrd got the bigger applause..

But that was a great live performance there courtesy of youtube!!

The Stone are a billion dollar corporation not a rock band. Rush should have been the headliner since it is their hometown.

Halfcan
10-23-2006, 10:55 PM

You live in Central Arkansas but say Canada sucks?? ROFL I have traveled from one end to the other-it is a beautiful country, nice people, low crime and no dumbf#cks from ARKANSAS.

Halfcan
10-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Halfcan's reactions are the whole point of these threads. Since every third post of his has something to do with the heavenly sounds of the Greatest Band Of ALL Time, people tend to make fun of them. It gets him all riled up... great fun.

P.S. Rush blows goats... always has. True story.

Most of the time I say stuff because it pisses morons like you off.

KcMizzou
10-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Most of the time I say stuff because it pisses morons like you off.Yeah, I'm pretty pissed. Not sure I'll sleep tonight.

Archie F. Swin
10-23-2006, 10:59 PM
-so I take all the slams with a grain of salt.

Rush is a class act, there's no doubt. What I can't stand are the Rush zealots who think that the band is infallable...untouchable even. I can't stand the Rush fans who think no other artist is worthy of such high acclaim. I can't stand the Rush fans who think Alex, Ged and Pratt are the Alpha and Omega of everything rock.

Makes me wanna :Lin:

KcMizzou
10-23-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread was more to give me shit than to bag Rush, Now you're getting somewhere...

JBucc
10-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Why do you hate deaf people Halfcan? What did they ever do to you? Here in Arkansas we accept them as our own. So long as they're not black. Or Canadian.

Ebolapox
10-24-2006, 11:53 AM

I'm not even gonna say it

jlscorpio
10-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Arkansas Rulez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kchero
10-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Wow nice thread. I have always wondered why someone that says they like Rock music- does not like Rush. Oh the high singing thing- Plant, Tate, Dickinson, Halford sing notes only a bat can hear and people bitch about Geddy?? Early on he had to blast it out there or you would not be able to hear him over Alex and Neil. Peart in the early days played with the sticks backwards-creating incredible power ala John Bonham. Of course Alex was just blazing away the solos which blasted through a stack of Marshals. I have alwyas liked the passion and power of his voice-and more so after the Permanent Waves album.

Funny how people say they have not put out anything good lately-must not have heard Vapor Trails, Rush in Rio, R30 and Feedback-which have probably topped 10 million units by now. Plus they have a new CD due out the first of the year-that could end up being one of their best. All reports say they are going in yet another musical direction.

The critics and most media outlets have ignored Rush or slammed them their whole careers-so I think a lot of the BS comes from them.

Geddy is an amazing person that does a lot of charity work and is widely thought of as the best bass player ever-so I take all the slams with a grain of salt.

F*cking A'.....You took all the words out of my mouth. It is amazing that only 3 men have produced so much incrediable sounds.

kchero
10-24-2006, 01:50 PM
You live in Central Arkansas but say Canada sucks?? ROFL I have traveled from one end to the other-it is a beautiful country, nice people, low crime and no dumbf#cks from ARKANSAS.

Hahahaha...funny......Northwestern Arkansas should vote on leaving the state of Arkansas due to the fact that they are a very modern and developing region (most in part due to walmart of course)....it would kind of be like the attempts that Quebec is trying to do to leave Canada...lol

kc rush
10-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Good god. If you donít like them, donít listen. I have never understood why people feel the need to go out of their way to bash Rush. It isnít as if there is a band out there without fault. Iím sure I could find something to hate or bash on other peopleís favorites here. Like what you like and enjoy your life.

As far as Rush goes, they are world class musicians individually and are amazing together. They are well respected by their peers for their abilities and their generosity, and have influenced several bands and musicians (many of whom the collective admire).

They have sold millions of albums and put on a hell of a live show. Even people who stopped buying their albums after Moving Pictures still go to their concerts because they are amazing performers.

I know Iím not going to change anyoneís mind, so Iíll keep enjoying them with my fellow fans.

And even if you donít like Halfcanís taste, you have to admire his passion.

tk13
10-24-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't hate Rush, but the thing I always find funny is how the Rush fans always go on about how each of the guys in the group are the single best performer of their instrument in the entire world. What are the odds that all of the greatest performers in musical history got together to form a group? We are truly blessed.

kc rush
10-24-2006, 02:09 PM
I don't hate Rush, but the thing I always find funny is how the Rush fans always go on about how each of the guys in the group are the single best performer of their instrument in the entire world. What are the odds that all of the greatest performers in musical history got together to form a group? We are truly blessed.

"The Best" is subjective, but I donít think anyone can deny that they are supremely talented (like their style or not).

I can appreciate the abilities of other musicians, but these guys are my favorites.

BTW - We are truly blessed :)

SNR
10-24-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't hate Rush, but the thing I always find funny is how the Rush fans always go on about how each of the guys in the group are the single best performer of their instrument in the entire world. What are the odds that all of the greatest performers in musical history got together to form a group? We are truly blessed.Rush was a gift from God to humankind. Because even Canadians need something to listen to.

Brock
10-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Rush serves the necessary purpose of preventing April Wine from being Canada's best band.

kc rush
10-24-2006, 02:31 PM
Rush was a gift from God to humankind. Because even Canadians need something to listen to.

Yes...if Scanlon was a Canadian musician, he would be in Rush.