PDA

View Full Version : DSL question

Sure-Oz
10-23-2006, 08:52 PM
I just switched from comcast to yahoo at&t dsl, they sent us these filter things for all our phones, problem is we have like 8 phones and 4 filters are on them leaving a few left without it. My connection keeps dropping and then the modem restarts to get it going. Do i need filters on every device using hte line to stop this problem?

Seriously pissin me off

SLAG
10-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Yes you would need filters on all your phones....

sorry

jjjayb
10-23-2006, 08:53 PM
Yes. You need a filter for every phone.

Deberg_1990
10-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Why so many phones?? Can you retract some that you dont use that often??

Sure-Oz
10-23-2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys, yeah i am probably going to unplug them or get more filters on them. Honestly the phone question we got a pretty big house, and some are old phones in rooms that we dont use. They just piled up, thanks for the help, im new to dsl.

Lzen
10-24-2006, 10:52 AM
You need a filter on every phone jack because the feed coming into the house carries both the DSL signal and the regular phone. The filter filters out the DSL signal. As you have seen, the DSL signal can really screw with your phone signal if there is no filter. One thing I've also noticed is that if your phone line isn't grounded properly, the DSL filters fry out. I burned through about 3 of those filters before I realized my phone line was not grounded properly. :shake:

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 11:09 AM
The filters are only required for the devices that needs the filters.

The DSL digital signal can cause problems for analog phones and modem-type devices (like FAX machines or your DirecTV receiver).

Not having filters on all of the devices wouldn't necessarily cause your DSL to go down. However, having 8 analog devices would definitely be a problem.

Sure-Oz
10-29-2006, 01:37 AM
update-you guys were right about the filters...we got rid of some of the phones and got some filters on every device we needed. The connection has stayed on all night without interuptions. Thanks for the help once again!

jspchief
10-29-2006, 08:03 AM
If you want to replace the phones but don't want to mess with the filters you should consider getting a cordless set with additional handsets.

You can have 4 phones, needing only one phone jack.

Sure-Oz
10-29-2006, 08:59 AM
If you want to replace the phones but don't want to mess with the filters you should consider getting a cordless set with additional handsets.

You can have 4 phones, needing only one phone jack.
I think i will definetly do that, probably go get that after the game actually, that will make it much easier. thanks!

Duck Dog
10-31-2006, 07:40 AM
You can filter all your phones from one location using one filter, if your house wired correctly. You do not need 8 filters to filter 8 extensions.

htismaqe
10-31-2006, 08:10 AM
update-you guys were right about the filters...we got rid of some of the phones and got some filters on every device we needed. The connection has stayed on all night without interuptions. Thanks for the help once again!

Again, the filters themselves wouldn't have caused issues.

Having 8 lines attached to your main DSL line would have.

jspchief
10-31-2006, 08:31 AM
If you have call waiting or a dial tone that indicates waiting voicemail, you need a filter on every phone line. At least that's what I had to do.

That's not to say that 8 lines won't cause problems, or that you can't filter at the source. But per Sure-Oz's issue, he needed 8 filters, or to eliminate some lines.

htismaqe
10-31-2006, 08:59 AM
If you have call waiting or a dial tone that indicates waiting voicemail, you need a filter on every phone line. At least that's what I had to do.

That's not to say that 8 lines won't cause problems, or that you can't filter at the source. But per Sure-Oz's issue, he needed 8 filters, or to eliminate some lines.

All I'm saying is that adding 8 filters wouldn't have fixed his problem. 8 devices is too many, there's too many splice points.

Splice points = attenuation = connection going down all the time.

Sure-Oz
11-01-2006, 12:19 AM
What we ended up doing is keeping like 4 total phones, 2 are actually hooked up with filters and are cordless lines as jsp suggested. all i know is my internet is fast and staying online unlike what it was earlier. we did have 8 phones or so hooked in and now its 4, all cordless phones and 2 actual base units.