PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs singing 'Amen'

Lzen
10-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Published Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Coach's sermons get through in Chargers win
By Tully Corcoran
The Capital-Journal

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Forget about Herm's fatherly discipline, this was fire and brimstone.

In the days following the Chiefs' 38-point loss, Herm Edwards -- known as The Preacher by the New York media for his lengthy diatribes and charismatic demeanor when he coached the Jets -- had to put the fear of Herm into his team.

"I had my sermons ready every day," Edwards said. "I did a lot of preaching. The good part is the congregation is listening."

Listening is one thing. Beating an early Super Bowl contender is another.

"We were tested this week," Edwards said, "to find out what we were about."

The Chiefs won 30-27 Sunday over San Diego, which ranked in the top five in both offense and defense, to get to 3-3, two games behind Denver for the AFC West lead.

"I should have passed the plate around," Edwards said. "I'd have made a lot of money."

The Chiefs now enter what may be the softest quarter of their schedule. Kansas City is at home against Seattle (4-2), which likely will be without both Shaun Alexander and Matt Hasselbeck; are at St. Louis (4-2); at Miami (1-6); and at home against the Raiders (1-5). The teams ahead of the Chiefs in the division are the Chargers (who in the next four weeks face St. Louis, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Denver) and the Broncos (Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Oakland, San Diego).

Though no Chiefs talked about Sunday's win as a season-saver, Edwards said recovering from a beatdown revealed his team's character.

"You mean the club fight we went to without a club?" Edwards said of the Steelers loss. "I've been on one end of it where you have the club and you're beating 'em over the head and I've been on the other one where every time you try to grab the club, he's hitting you on the hand and stepping on you.

"You never see that coming. The good part is, how do you react after you went through something like that? You're character comes out."

Huard knew the Chiefs had something to prove.

"I think, after last week, people wondered what Chiefs team was going to show up today," he said.

Offensively, it was one that looked like it did in years past. With all the Chiefs key players contributing, Sunday's 355-yard output was the best of the year for the Kansas City offense. In Larry Johnson and Tony Gonzalez, the Chiefs had a 100-yard rusher and a 100-yard receiver in the same game for the first time this year. Quarterback Damon Huard threw for 232 yards, aided by an offensive line performance that yielded only two sacks against the league's No. 1 defense.

"Damon did a great job throwing. Offensive line did a great job of (blocking)," Edwards said.

Unlike years past, the defense made a key stop.

"When we had to hold 'em at the end," Edwards said. "We got off the field and we got the ball back.

"We grew together as a team. There was a lot of adversity at times. You just want to win the game. We found a way to win at the end."

So the Chiefs put one together. Against a good team.

Now they have to do it again.

"Right now we need consistency," Johnson said. "We need to be consistent on a daily basis. As long as we do that we'll be all right."

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/102406/chi_folo.shtml

Phobia
10-24-2006, 10:49 AM
You're character comes out.
Our editor would have caught that.

Count Zarth
10-24-2006, 10:50 AM
The Capital Journal has offered me a handsome salary with great benefits.

CoMoChief
10-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Im as glad about the win as anybody, but we need to win on the road if this team is going to the playoffs. These next 4 games are very winnable games and could put us at 7-3. Given the strength of our schedule at the end of the season, being 7-3 would give us a great chance of putting us into the playoffs.

Bowser
10-24-2006, 10:51 AM

Yeah, because it's in Topeka.

Cochise
10-24-2006, 11:01 AM

Is that why you're still pounding Chips Ahoy in your mom's basement...? :spock:

vailpass
10-24-2006, 11:06 AM

$15k/year and a Carrie Fisher blow-up doll custom fit to your wookie? :p

Count Zarth
10-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Carrie Fisher blow-up doll

They make those?

AZORChiefFan
10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
when was the last time the Dolphins played KC in KC? Seems like the Chiefs are always playing the Phins in Miami.

Count Zarth
10-24-2006, 11:13 AM
when was the last time the Dolphins played KC in KC? Seems like the Chiefs are always playing the Phins in Miami.

Bowser
10-24-2006, 11:13 AM

2002, maybe? All I remember is Trent Green flattening Arturo Freeman on a Priest TD run.

vailpass
10-24-2006, 11:14 AM
They make those?

LMAO...... :hmmm: ........ :spock: ......... :eek:

Raiderhader
10-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Our editor would have caught that.

I beg to differ.

Reerun_KC
10-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Im as glad about the win as anybody, but we need to win on the road if this team is going to the playoffs. These next 4 games are very winnable games and could put us at 7-3. Given the strength of our schedule at the end of the season, being 7-3 would give us a great chance of putting us into the playoffs.

No offense, but man why be content with just the playoffs? Wouldnt it be nice to have a GM and a Coach that expect the playoffs each year and nothing short of a Conference Championship or Superbowl are failures...

Look at Denver, Bowlen and the Rat expect the playoffs each year and if they fall short of a Championship game or Superbowl, they clean out and reload...

Us Chief fans are just excited about one and done as other are the title games...

We should expect more from the Chief orginazation and accept nothing less...

Raiderhader
10-24-2006, 11:20 AM
No offense, but man why be content with just the playoffs? Wouldnt it be nice to have a GM and a Coach that expect the playoffs each year and nothing short of a Conference Championship or Superbowl are failures...

Look at Denver, Bowlen and the Rat expect the playoffs each year and if they fall short of a Championship game or Superbowl, they clean out and reload...

Us Chief fans are just excited about one and done as other are the title games...

We should expect more from the Chief orginazation and accept nothing less...

You have to take one step at a time. First you have to make the post season, then you can start to talk about championships.

AZORChiefFan
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM
2002, maybe? All I remember is Trent Green flattening Arturo Freeman on a Priest TD run.
Ahh yes. I remember that play just didn't remember the team.

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM
You have to take one step at a time. First you have to make the post season, then you can start to talk about championships.

Bull.

Everybody knows we need to go 3-13 and rebuild. That's how real teams do it.

Raiderhader
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Bull.

My bad, I forgot where I was posting.

Baby Lee
10-24-2006, 11:39 AM
My bad, I forgot where I was posting.
For the record Reerun has no body fat, 10-pack abs, effs a different supermodel every night, retains Bobby Flay on-call as his personal chef, drives a Maybach, has houses in every hotspot in the union, pisses gold and shits diamonds.
Must be, I can't imagine him settling for less.

Reerun_KC
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM

I guess? If you say so, I guess that is why we were all content with Marty's one and done, Dicks lack of appearance/no Defense vs. Colts.

Carl knows that if he fields a half ass coaching staff and team, goes 11-5 10-6 each year, one and done. He knows we will fill the stands and their pocketbooks...

Reerun_KC
10-24-2006, 11:49 AM
For the record Reerun has no body fat, 10-pack abs, effs a different supermodel every night, retains Bobby Flay on-call as his personal chef, drives a Maybach, has houses in every hotspot in the union, pisses gold and shits diamonds.
Must be, I can't imagine him settling for less.

Your learning....

Reerun_KC
10-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Bull.

Nah I dont think it is that bad....

Raiderhader
10-24-2006, 11:53 AM
I guess? If you say so, I guess that is why we were all content with Marty's one and done, Dicks lack of appearance/no Defense vs. Colts.

Carl knows that if he fields a half ass coaching staff and team, goes 11-5 10-6 each year, one and done. He knows we will fill the stands and their pocketbooks...

WTF are you talking about? Who was content with never reaching, let alone winning, the big dance?

Lay down the crack pipe.

SNR
10-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Bull.

Everybody knows we need to go 3-13 and rebuild. That's how real teams do it.Careful, Parker. With so many n00bs running around these days they'll think you're serious

Lzen
10-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Your learning....

My editor would've caught that.

Reerun_KC
10-24-2006, 12:08 PM
My editor would've caught that.

Dang it!!!!

Calcountry
10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Careful, Parker. With so many n00bs running around these days they'll think you're seriousROFL

Baby Lee
10-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Your learning....
My learning?......

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 12:47 PM

Yeah.

Because actually GETTING to the Super Bowl would cost the franchise millions of dollars without any revenue return at all...

:rolleyes:

Raiderhader
10-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Yeah.

Because actually GETTING to the Super Bowl would cost the franchise millions of dollars without any revenue return at all...

:rolleyes:

That is what I have never understood about the Carl bashers, this ridiculous argument that he wants a mediocre team so he can fill the stands. What way better to fill the stands than to win championships?

I'm not a Carl apologist by any means, but it is obvious to me that he does not field mediocre teams intentionally. He does so because he is a mediocre GM.

Reerun_KC
10-24-2006, 01:19 PM
That is what I have never understood about the Carl bashers, this ridiculous argument that he wants a mediocre team so he can fill the stands. What way better to fill the stands than to win championships?

I'm not a Carl apologist by any means, but it is obvious to me that he does not field mediocre teams intentionally. He does so because he is a mediocre GM.

Game, Set, Match!

Mediocre GM = mediocre results. Mediocre coaching staff, one and done in the playoffs.

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Game, Set, Match!

Mediocre GM = mediocre results. Mediocre coaching staff, one and done in the playoffs.

Most of us would like to wait for some preliminary results before declaring the coaching staff is mediocre...

Monty
10-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Most of us would like to wait for some preliminary results before declaring the coaching staff is mediocre...

Not trying to be a smartass, but wouldn't "3-3" count as preliminary results?

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Not trying to be a smartass, but wouldn't "3-3" count as preliminary results?

Would you think it was fair if your boss came to you your 3rd day on the job and said "We've decided we're going to review you for your merit raise now" and then followed it with "Well, you really haven't put out any good work yet, so no raise for you."

Anything less than a complete season is not enough data for evaluation, and that's being VERY stingy.

Herm deserves the same consideration Vermeil got, plain and simple. Vermeil got 2 full years...

beer bacon
10-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Bull.

Just think of all the great draft picks we could get if we just intentionally choked away all our games :drool:

Why do we always have to be competitive? Damnit Carl :cuss: