PDA

View Full Version : Herm's presser today is hilarious

Count Alex's Losses
10-24-2006, 02:32 PM
He totally goes off on Rhonda Moss about the situation at the end of the first half. Don't read it...go watch it.

Inspector
10-24-2006, 02:35 PM
I don't see anything.

Oh. I need a TV or something, right?

Count Alex's Losses
10-24-2006, 02:36 PM
kcchiefs.com

Realplayer on the right.

Count Alex's Losses
10-24-2006, 02:43 PM
This is like a 10-minute rant on that situation alone. LMAO

Count Alex's Losses
10-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Hahaha!

"If I tell you it's easter today, go start colorin' ya eggs!"

big nasty kcnut
10-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Give me a transcript. I'm too busy to watch i'll speed read it.

Chiefnj
10-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Herm is very likeable when interviewed.

KC-TBB
10-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Screw the press, they drive me nuts...all their stupid questions... AHHHHHH

Calcountry
10-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Hahaha!

"If I tell you it's easter today, go start colorin' ya eggs!"I'm sorry, I feel the brothers passion. I like him.

KcMizzou
10-24-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm sorry, I feel the brothers passion. I like him.
I do too... and his explanation makes sense. Pretty interesting.

Chiefnj
10-24-2006, 03:19 PM
If you haven't seen it, take a few minutes and watch the Mind of Herm Edwards. He explains his reasoning behind the playcalling at the end of the half, at the end of the game and at Denver. It gives you a good idea of how he thinks and what his primary considerations are.

Simplex3
10-24-2006, 03:21 PM
I'll bet it isn't nearly as funny as the performance on the field is sometimes.

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 03:23 PM
If you haven't seen it, take a few minutes and watch the Mind of Herm Edwards. He explains his reasoning behind the playcalling at the end of the half, at the end of the game and at Denver. It gives you a good idea of how he thinks and what his primary considerations are.

I don't know what they showed on TV but I was at the game and it was pretty obvious what was going on.

Huard was trying to get everyone into a huddle while Waters, Shields, and Gonzo were screaming at him to line up. Gonzo finally waved over to the sidelines, where Herm was also screaming at Huard, and then called a timeout.

This is the second time Huard has done this.

Count Alex's Losses
10-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Herm wanted to run a draw and see if they could get it into SD territory. Then and only then would they try and get some more points.

Once the draw backfired, he was done. I think all the confusion was due to Solari wanting to go downfield.

jAZ
10-24-2006, 03:32 PM
How long do I have to watch to get to that part? Where does it start?

Count Alex's Losses
10-24-2006, 03:33 PM
About 8 minutes in. It last til the 18-minute mark or so.

Reerun_KC
10-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Herm wanted to run a draw and see if they could get it into SD territory. Then and only then would they try and get some more points.

Once the draw backfired, he was done. I think all the confusion was due to Solari wanting to go downfield.

Post of the year!

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 03:42 PM

Waters was screaming directly at Huard.

Count Alex's Losses
10-24-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't who's fault it was, or if anyone was even at fault. The Chiefs did what Herm wanted them to do. I didn't have a big problem with it.

Phobia
10-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Herm's explanation about defense didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You're not looking to put your defense back on the field, you're pressing for a FG. But, what do I know? I'm not paid $3,000,000 to coach a football team.

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 03:53 PM
I don't who's fault it was, or if anyone was even at fault. The Chiefs did what Herm wanted them to do. I didn't have a big problem with it.

It's a HUGE problem.

I don't give a shit what Solari or Herm wanted to do, in my opinion they're (once again) taking the blame for something that is the PLAYERS' fault.

We had 3 time outs and 54 seconds. It DOES NOT matter what Solari wanted, or what Herm wanted, if there was ANY confusion at all, Huard should have called a timeout.

Instead, he stood there looking dumb while his offensive linemen screamed at him. Tony Gonzales finally had to step in and call a timeout.

Inexcusable.

Count Alex's Losses
10-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Herm's explanation about defense didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You're not looking to put your defense back on the field, you're pressing for a FG. But, what do I know? I'm not paid $3,000,000 to coach a football team.

Herm was afraid if they tried a few passes before the half, something bad would happen. SD came into the game with a fearsome passrush. Given the fact his defense had been on the field for 44 plays, he wasn't willing to risk a sack and a fumble that put them out there again, especially given the fact that they had a 14-point lead.

Basically, he trusts his defense enough that he didn't feel they needed to reach for more points right before the half.

BigRock
10-24-2006, 03:54 PM
Herm's covering for Huard. If he wanted to run first and then decide whether or not to sit on the ball, why was he screaming at guys to hurry up after the run didn't go anywhere? And why did he call a timeout?

Count Alex's Losses
10-24-2006, 03:56 PM
It's a HUGE problem.

I don't give a shit what Solari or Herm wanted to do, in my opinion they're (once again) taking the blame for something that is the PLAYERS' fault.

We had 3 time outs and 54 seconds. It DOES NOT matter what Solari wanted, or what Herm wanted, if there was ANY confusion at all, Huard should have called a timeout.

Instead, he stood there looking dumb while his offensive linemen screamed at him. Tony Gonzales finally had to step in and call a timeout.

Inexcusable.

OK, I see what you're saying.

FAX
10-24-2006, 03:58 PM

That's what I was thinking, Mr. Phobia. There wasn't much time left. The enemy had 0 timeouts. His argument that he didn't want to put the D back on the field fails the factual circumstances test.

Maybe he's confusing this game with another one? Although I suppose that, had we turned the ball over on our side of the field, he would have a point.

As for Huard messing up on the ol' 50 second drill, if I was head coach, I would tell him to stop doing that.

FAX

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Herm's covering for Huard. If he wanted to run first and then decide whether or not to sit on the ball, why was he screaming at guys to hurry up after the run didn't go anywhere? And why did he call a timeout?

Exactly.

Huard ****ed up big time and Herm is just being nice by not calling him out by name...

gblowfish
10-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Hey, sorry, the coaches screwed the pooch in that last minute of the first half. They had a minute, only ran two plays and left 2 timeouts on the board. Stooopid. An extra 3 points could have made a big difference going into the half.

RINGLEADER
10-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Screw the press, they drive me nuts...all their stupid questions... AHHHHHH

So, um, Herm, how do you feel about your offense not scoring as many points as the other team?

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Hey, sorry, the coaches screwed the pooch in that last minute of the first half. They had a minute, only ran two plays and left 2 timeouts on the board. Stooopid. An extra 3 points could have made a big difference going into the half.

No, they didn't.

There was no time to use the last 2 timeouts after Damon Huard let 34 seconds click away off the clock.

RINGLEADER
10-24-2006, 04:21 PM

Inexcusable.

The performance of the team on the last drive of the second half bears out the fact that it was an opportunity lost. I know you don't want to make a mistake and put another team back in the game, but they could have run three draws up the middle and still had time for a kick if any one of them had been broken off for a long gain.

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 04:23 PM
The performance of the team on the last drive of the second half bears out the fact that it was an opportunity lost. I know you don't want to make a mistake and put another team back in the game, but they could have run three draws up the middle and still had time for a kick if any one of them had been broken off for a long gain.

They had an extra minute at the end of the 2nd half.

After the 1st run at the end of the 1st half, they had 52 seconds. They had 18 seconds left when Huard got done standing around...

Phobia
10-24-2006, 04:31 PM
No, they didn't.

There was no time to use the last 2 timeouts after Damon Huard let 34 seconds click away off the clock.

That's crap. Coaches are allowed to call TO from the sideline these days. Herm is capable of plugging the fingertips of his hand into the palm of the other, isn't he?

ChiefsFan4Life
10-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Ummm, he didn't "totally go off" on her at all

Way to overexaggerate

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 04:32 PM
That's crap. Coaches are allowed to call TO from the sideline these days. Herm is capable of plugging the fingertips of his hand into the palm of the other, isn't he?

The coach absolutely can call a timeout.

He shouldn't have to.

Phobia
10-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Well, I don't think you can lay the entire load at the feet of Huard when Herm is perfectly capable of stopping the clock if that's what he wanted to do.

Phobia
10-24-2006, 04:38 PM
I don't care who made the mistake, but it was clearly a mistake. When you get the ball near mid-field with 1:02 and a full complement of timeouts, you take a couple shots to get in FG range. You only have to make 25 yards for a long effort. Herm's spin is lost on me. It doesn't hold up. Most of his excuse was about the defense. Give me a break.

FAX
10-24-2006, 04:40 PM
So, does this mean that Herm really does have a problem with clock management? If it was Huard's fault, I'm glad Herm didn't call him out on it. If it was Herm's fault, I wish he would have just owned up to it. If it was Solari's fault, I wish they would have tied his hands and feet and let LJ take a running start at him.

The bottom line is that, if no one other than our linemen and TE knows when or how to call a time out, we may have a problem.

Still, the good news is that Trent is coming back. And, he can darn sure call a fine timeout.

FAX

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Well, I don't think you can lay the entire load at the feet of Huard when Herm is perfectly capable of stopping the clock if that's what he wanted to do.

By the same token, it's not fair to lay the entire load at the feet of the head coach.

After all, Herm's not only taking the blame for not calling a timeout. He's also taking the blame for the playcalling and everything else.

Last time I checked, we have an offensive coordinator who calls plays for a living. And we have a QB who's been in the league for a decade. They should share in some of the blame.

htismaqe
10-24-2006, 04:42 PM
I don't care who made the mistake, but it was clearly a mistake. When you get the ball near mid-field with 1:02 and a full complement of timeouts, you take a couple shots to get in FG range. You only have to make 25 yards for a long effort. Herm's spin is lost on me. It doesn't hold up. Most of his excuse was about the defense. Give me a break.

It's called coach speak.

FAX
10-24-2006, 04:50 PM
To summarize: time and time again you see that a timeout is good only if it's timely. You can say that untimely timeouts happen all the time. But, these are difficult times and it's high time we started calling more timely timeouts in a more timely fashion and avoid these untimely time management and timeout times.

Didn't DV have a guy on staff whose sole responsibility was to keep track of timeouts or something?

FAX

dirk digler
10-24-2006, 05:00 PM
To summarize: time and time again you see that a timeout is good only if it's timely. You can say that untimely timeouts happen all the time. But, these are difficult times and it's high time we started calling more timely timeouts in a more timely fashion and avoid these untimely time management and timeout times.

Didn't DV have a guy on staff whose sole responsibility was to keep track of timeouts or something?

FAX

Dick Curl is Herm's Timeout coach.

BTW I don't understand why anyone is surpised about our poor clock management that was the rap on Herm prior to him coming here.

Phobia
10-24-2006, 05:08 PM

BTW I don't understand why anyone is surpised about our poor clock management that was the rap on Herm prior to him coming here.

I understand that. I don't understand why Herm is pretending like it was a concious decision they made. I guess Chiefs fans just look gullible.

dirk digler
10-24-2006, 05:13 PM
I understand that. I don't understand why Herm is pretending like it was a concious decision they made. I guess Chiefs fans just look gullible.

Maybe the press is guillible?

:)

the Talking Can
10-24-2006, 05:31 PM
the players don't know what they're doing...and the coach isn't responsible?

wierd

that was an inexcusable ****ing waste...we got lucky it didn't cost us

Phobia
10-24-2006, 05:35 PM

:)

I think some members of the press wait for Rhonda to ask the tough questions. I haven't been to a presser since the draft. They don't send me the schedule any more. I think I pissed somebody off.

Sully
10-24-2006, 05:41 PM
I think some members of the press wait for Rhonda to ask the tough questions. I haven't been to a presser since the draft. They don't send me the schedule any more. I think I pissed somebody off.

You got to go to a press conference?
Does that mean you do something media related? Such as, write for a website?
I hadn't heard that.
You should tell us all where to see your work!

:p

cdcox
10-24-2006, 05:43 PM

The Jets time management problems were Damon Huard's fault.

Tuckdaddy
10-24-2006, 05:44 PM
I thought it was a good explanation. Saving energy might have been a good move.

NewChief
10-24-2006, 06:01 PM

I told you to stop asking the players that same question about what past player they feel they're most like. You gotta keep things fresh and interesting. You were like the guy at the cocktail party who tells the same story over and over.

"Oh great. Here comes goatee guy with his question about what player I'm like."

Calcountry
10-24-2006, 06:05 PM

:)It's called spin. Herm spun that situation well.

Count Alex's Losses
10-24-2006, 06:07 PM
I appreciate what Herm did. There's no need to throw players under the bus like Denny Green.

BigRock
10-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I don't understand why Herm is pretending like it was a concious decision they made.
Because otherwise he has to say "We were trying to take a few shots and our QB didn't know what he was doing", and that's no good for anyone.

StcChief
10-24-2006, 06:18 PM
Anyone running roughshod on the Media is OK with me.

SNR
10-24-2006, 07:28 PM
From what I'm reading, it's not right for the coach to point fingers at the players during a press conference. They don't need that. We went through 3000 punters with Vermeil because he did that, and almost ruined Tynes.

dirk digler
10-24-2006, 07:35 PM

That's too bad I thought you always went. I doubt you pissed anyone off especially if Rhonda and Whitlock show up every week.

Short Leash Hootie
10-24-2006, 07:59 PM
I made a thread about how pissed off I was about the whole situation that occurred before halftime. Honestly, we all knew 20 points wasn't going to win it for us.

I don't care who's fault it was, no matter what, it has to fall back on the head coach. I don't disagree with first and 10 running a draw...that's a great playcall IMO, it would usually work, especially with a great power back like LJ...but it didn't, and they should've been ready to call a timeout right away.

Let's say after that they throw two quick incompletions...so what, you punt the ball, San Diego gets it, with zero timeouts, and runs out the clock anyways...

It was a missed opportunity and fortunately we won the game so we can stop talking about it.

Short Leash Hootie
10-24-2006, 08:02 PM
and...

No matter what anyone wants to say about Huard, he showed he's a great leader on the field during that last drive of the game. Dude was VERY calm.

That was his 4th game winning drive in his career...he has like 10 career starts.

KcMizzou
10-24-2006, 08:06 PM
It was a missed opportunity and fortunately we won the game so we can stop talking about it.That's the long and short of it.

KcMizzou
10-24-2006, 08:08 PM
and...

No matter what anyone wants to say about Huard, he showed he's a great leader on the field during that last drive of the game. Dude was VERY calm.

That was his 4th game winning drive in his career...he has like 10 career starts.
Huard's been nails, no doubt. I had no idea he was as good as he is. We're really set at back-up QB.

Direckshun
10-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Let me be, perhaps, the first to say:

I'm happy this is the worst thing we have to complain about Sunday.

KcMizzou
10-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Let me be, perhaps, the first to say:

I'm happy this is the worst thing we have to complain about Sunday.Haha... true that.

Fairplay
10-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Huard's been nails, no doubt. I had no idea he was as good as he is. We're really set at back-up QB.

Thank god.

Chiefnj
10-25-2006, 08:30 AM
No, they didn't.

I fail to see how it's Huard's fault when the OC is telling him one thing (get lined up and pass it down the field) and the head coach is telling him another (run the ball and run out the clock to keep the tired D off the field).

jspchief
10-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Personally I don't see the situation as that big of a deal.

So ended up being overly careful at halftime of a game that we were dominating up to that point.

Better to not do something stupid than to hurry up and get burned because of it. Yea, I would have liked some extra points, but we were dominating a team that was supposed to crush us... I'm okay with not pissing it away by getting greedy.

CoMoChief
10-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Herm's retarded and this is why he's terrible at game management:

What I don't get is that he claims he's not being conservative at the end of the game when we have to drive 60 yds to get into FG range for Tynes and he's throwing the ball down the field, which is fine because Herm is right, he wasn't being conservative at that time in the game.

In contrast to that at the end of the 1st half he was being conservative and worried about turining the ball over and giving SD momentum. This is where I don't get his logic.

What's the difference you ask???

One time it was at the end of the half where we still had another half of football to play and not only that but we got the ball back starting the 3rd quarter. At the end of the game when we are tied and we turn the ball over that puts SD in a position to win the game. I guess what I'm saying is that Herm is contradicting himself during this press conference. When I saw the players looking over at the sidelines waving their arms at Herm waiting for him to call a play it just pissed me off. He's terrible at managing a game when the clock is a factor. He did this same shit in the DEN game and the result was a L when we very well had that game in our hands.

Chiefnj
10-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Herm's retarded and this is why he's terrible at game management:

I'm a Herm basher and thought his explanation made a lot of sense. The D had been on the field too long and was starting to give up lots of yards. He'd rather head into the locker room at home with a 14 point lead as opposed to a 7 or 11 point lead and the possible loss of momentum.

DaWolf
10-25-2006, 11:05 AM
One time it was at the end of the half where we still had another half of football to play and not only that but we got the ball back starting the 3rd quarter. At the end of the game when we are tied and we turn the ball over that puts SD in a position to win the game. I guess what I'm saying is that Herm is contradicting himself during this press conference. When I saw the players looking over at the sidelines waving their arms at Herm waiting for him to call a play it just pissed me off. He's terrible at managing a game when the clock is a factor. He did this same shit in the DEN game and the result was a L when we very well had that game in our hands.

Of course I can take you back to the end of the half of the Dallas game last year. We were dominating that game and we could have played it safe or aggressive at the end of the half. We decide to drop back and pass, and you know what happened, we miss a block and Dallas ends up returning a fumble that eventually leads to a TD, and changing the whole complexion of the ballgame.

Exactly what Herm didn't want to happen against SD...

listopencil
10-25-2006, 11:30 AM
and...

I agree. You guys are going through a screwed up situation right now with a QB that wasn't supposed to be out there and still managed a W over SD. Huard is doing a hell of a job.

And a Herm-coached Jets team was known for bad clock management. Blame Herm. You don't have your team trying to figure out what to do in these types of game situations while they are happening. This is stuff that should have been worked out ahead of time with the entire Offense.

patteeu
10-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Of course I can take you back to the end of the half of the Dallas game last year. We were dominating that game and we could have played it safe or aggressive at the end of the half. We decide to drop back and pass, and you know what happened, we miss a block and Dallas ends up returning a fumble that eventually leads to a TD, and changing the whole complexion of the ballgame.

Exactly what Herm didn't want to happen against SD...

I agree. The Chiefs barely hung on to the win as it was. A change of momentum just before the half is the last thing they needed. I'm all for being aggressive, but when you have a chance to go into the lockerroom with a 2 or 3 possession lead (and the ball at the beginning of the second half) there's no reason to reach too hard for more.

I don't like the confusion that was apparent, but I have no problem with the way things played out or the rationalization the coach offered for it.

Demonpenz
10-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't mind downing the ball, but too say you are going to be careful with the ball and give the ball to the person on the team with the most turnovers is someone laughable.

kregger
10-25-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm a Herm basher and thought his explanation made a lot of sense. The D had been on the field too long and was starting to give up lots of yards. He'd rather head into the locker room at home with a 14 point lead as opposed to a 7 or 11 point lead and the possible loss of momentum.
He had 2 full days to come up with this rationalization. It's BS!
He was waving his arms like a windmill when they went to huddle. Three or four players are waiting at the LOS and God knows what Solari is telling Huard in his headset. It looked completely FUBAR. He'd have been better off saying there was a lack of communication or they were having equipment problems relaying the plays.
The fact that they didn't have 2 plays called in that situation goes a long way to telling you about game management.
All that being said, I am sure glad they got their shit together on that last drive to be saved by a 53yd kick.

Chiefnj
10-25-2006, 01:56 PM
He had 2 full days to come up with this rationalization. It's BS!
He was waving his arms like a windmill when they went to huddle. Three or four players are waiting at the LOS and God knows what Solari is telling Huard in his headset. It looked completely FUBAR. He'd have been better off saying there was a lack of communication or they were having equipment problems relaying the plays.
The fact that they didn't have 2 plays called in that situation goes a long way to telling you about game management.
All that being said, I am sure glad they got their shit together on that last drive to be saved by a 53yd kick.

He admitted in his press conference that there was miscommunication between he and Solari and the team. He and Solari were not on the same page.

In any event, I don't have a problem with him running the clock at the half and going for it at the end. I'm very happy Johnson made a great 1st down play or else there might be a lot of unhappy people on this board, including me.

htismaqe
10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I fail to see how it's Huard's fault when the OC is telling him one thing (get lined up and pass it down the field) and the head coach is telling him another (run the ball and run out the clock to keep the tired D off the field).

Because the playcall wasn't the issue.

Waters was jumping up and down SCREAMING trying to get people up to the line, while Huard was trying to get everybody to HUDDLE UP.

Yes, HUDDLE UP.

With 54 seconds left.

Halfcan
10-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Herm gets on my nerves-definately don't want to watch 10 min of his stoopid ranting azz.

Short Leash Hootie
10-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Herm gets on my nerves-definately don't want to watch 10 min of his stoopid ranting azz.
oh god, I guess we should fire Herm right now, we don't want to upset the board dumbass halfcan!

Redcoats58
10-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Herm just admitted to riding the short bus. lol

ct
10-27-2006, 02:59 PM
football threads get a bump

carlos3652
10-27-2006, 03:15 PM
I had no issues with him being conservative at the end of the first half... great examples of that was not only Dallas, but Philly last year... they had all the mo going in at halftime even though they were losing by 11-14 points... they beat us because of that...
(and they had TO and we had the worst secondary)

SD had just missed a FG and they were pissed... I was expecting us to have one Draw play and run off the clock if it didnt work...

Remember that KC scored a FG and they didnt need a min to go 40 yards @ the end of the game... If we punt or get a turnover @ that moment... SD goes in the half with an extra 3 points and all the mo...

As for the confusion... it should have never have happened, but it did... herm said they werent on the same page and it showed... you learna nd you move on...