PDA

View Full Version : Hali & Allen

Hog Farmer
10-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Hali has 3.5 sacks and Allen 4 sacks through 6 games.

Over a 16 game schedule this projects out to 9 1/2 for Hali and 10.5 for Allen. Does this warrant their performance as a great season or just a mediocre season. I know you can't base their performance on sacks alone because if you watch them, they have a hand in damn near every single play. They BOTH are relentless. I say the future of the Chiefs D is so bright you'll need a welding helment to watch. Plus our up coming schedule supposedly gets easier and their sack #'s may pick up. What say you.

crispystl420
10-25-2006, 07:26 AM
Hali has 3.5 sacks and Allen 4 sacks through 6 games.

Over a 16 game schedule this projects out to 9 1/2 for Hali and 10.5 for Allen. Does this warrant their performance as a great season or just a mediocre season. I know you can't base their performance on sacks alone because if you watch them, they have a hand in damn near every single play. They BOTH are relentless. I say the future of the Chiefs D is so bright you'll need a welding helment to watch. Plus our up coming schedule supposedly gets easier and their sack #'s may pick up. What say you.

All I know is Hali is a nice fresh breath of air after watching Hicks blow for so long.

trndobrd
10-25-2006, 07:27 AM
I say Hali's total number of tackles and forced fumbles is more impressive than his sack totals. They both owe something to Reed and Edwards getting a consistent push up the middle.

TinyEvel
10-25-2006, 07:27 AM
All I know is Hali is a nice fresh breath of air after watching Hicks blow for so long.

Amen!

But you've got to take it game by game. How many sacks did allen rack up against Washington's swiss cheese line last year? Four? VERY rare, I know, but those are the kind of games that push a guy up the charts, and I think either of them are capable.

I wonder if we'll draft a DT high up this year. Whoa...getting WAY ahead of myself. BEAT THE SEAHAGS!!!

MVChiefFan
10-25-2006, 07:38 AM
One thing you have to say about Herm, love him or hate him, is that he plays the best players no matter what. I thought about that sunday, how grateful I was NOT to see Hicks, Dalton and much of Sims. I'm convinced if Vermeil was still here we probably wouldn't have drafted Hali and if we did he would be firmly planted on the bench behind Hicks. BOOOOO!!!!!

boogblaster
10-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Two damn good pass rushers..plus countless tackles both are the real-deal regardless of sack numbers....

morphius
10-25-2006, 07:42 AM
So far I couldn't be much more happy with either of them. I think a replacement for Bell and one good tackle could make this D something truly scary.

Hog Farmer
10-25-2006, 07:44 AM
I say Hali's total number of tackles and forced fumbles is more impressive than his sack totals. They both owe something to Reed and Edwards getting a consistent push up the middle.

Tackles:

D. Johnson..37
Wesley..30
Knight.. 29
Hali.. 28
Mitchel..27
Surtain..26
Bell..23
Allen.. 22
Law.. 18
Reed..14

Hali certainly has the most of any lineman. And the forced fumbles, I think he has 4 are worth their weight in Gold.

Kyle401
10-25-2006, 07:46 AM
If they both keep playing as well as they have, I would call it a very good year for our DE's. Not only are they getting pressure on pass plays, both are playing the run pretty well (6th and 7th on the team in total tackles). If the team does well, it could be classified as a great year. We're a little below pace for a 40 sack season, but it's definately a reachable goal.

My only concern for the future is Allen's apparent propensity to drink and drive. He needs mature beyond that or we will be looking at my adopt-a-Chief as a starter again.

Fire Me Boy!
10-25-2006, 07:52 AM
In my Madden franchise, Benny Sapp is a BEAST on the corner blitz.

Chieftain58
10-25-2006, 07:53 AM
We need some studs on the inside as well

HC_Chief
10-25-2006, 07:59 AM
We are rock-solid at DE. Heck, this pair is arguably the best <i>tandemn</i> in the league.

Now we need a legit DT or two and the defense will be complete.

morphius
10-25-2006, 08:07 AM
In my Madden franchise, Benny Sapp is a BEAST on the corner blitz.
Obviously they overestimate his ability to actually do anything other then go over the top or slide off of the QB once he gets there.

Color Red
10-25-2006, 08:08 AM
They do, as I like to say, create issues. Aside from the fact that they may have a big sack game here or there, they consistently create a range of pressure every game that every team must try to account for to be successful. That all lends to other defensive success in the secondary.

One thing I like is they are both young and prime. Hopefully we can sustain the tandem for a number of seasons, like we had with Smith and Thomas for so long.

Yeah I wish Allen knew when to put down the bottle too.

TinyEvel
10-25-2006, 08:16 AM
wow, Whoodathunk we're on here getting all positive about our D.

noa
10-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Hali and Allen are both doing as much as we can expect out of DE's. They are playing very well. The best part is that they come up with sacks when its important. In the Chargers game, they were putting together a potential game-winning drive when Rivers got sacked by Allen on 2nd down and then by Hali on 3rd down to kill the drive.
We need to get some more sacks from our LBs and our CBs. Last year, the Seahawks led the league in sacks with 50, and they didn't have a single player with more than 9 sacks.
Right now, we're in the middle of the pack with 14 sacks.

Fish
10-25-2006, 08:50 AM

Hell.... after the last 3-4 years, I'll take middle of the pack in the sack category... that's improvement....

bloomer88
10-25-2006, 08:50 AM

Amen to that. I remember one play in particular this last game when the announcers said Hicks is in the game, and the very next play, S.D. guts us for a 15 year run. I thought, go figure!!!!!

jspchief
10-25-2006, 08:57 AM
20 sacks from our starting DEs is a great season as far as I'm concerned.

Only NYG and Indy did it last year.

It doesn't make them pro-bowlers necessarily, but it makes the DE position a position of strength...especially since as you say they are in on so many more plays.

Hog Farmer
10-25-2006, 10:10 AM
Looking at stats on espn, Hali and Jason Taylor are tied for the league lead in Forced fumbles with four anf Jared Allen has 2. Those go a long way toward the outcome of any ballgame.

Rain Man
10-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Amen to that. I remember one play in particular this last game when the announcers said Hicks is in the game, and the very next play, S.D. guts us for a 15 year run. I thought, go figure!!!!!

That's a really long run, but I don't doubt it for a second.

bkkcoh
10-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Hali and Allen are both doing as much as we can expect out of DE's. They are playing very well. The best part is that they come up with sacks when its important. In the Chargers game, they were putting together a potential game-winning drive when Rivers got sacked by Allen on 2nd down and then by Hali on 3rd down to kill the drive.
We need to get some more sacks from our LBs and our CBs. Last year, the Seahawks led the league in sacks with 50, and they didn't have a single player with more than 9 sacks.

But what is really nice is the fact that they are getting the sacks with out a lot of blitzing. Last year we couldn't sacks to kill a drive while blitzing.

It is nice to see our DL getting into the backfield to make plays. :toast:

Dick Bull
10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Obviously they overestimate his ability to actually do anything other then go over the top or slide off of the QB once he gets there.

nah, it's a new feature in madden, it actually cuts out to a video of him tying the qbs shoe strings together to make him trip.

man that guys hands are fast

CoMoChief
10-25-2006, 10:23 AM
I wonder why Pollard hasn't seen much playing time? I've seen Page out there a few times. I say we need to get these players on the field more often. We need some headhunters and some speed back there.

FAX
10-25-2006, 10:24 AM
... We need to get some more sacks from our LBs and our CBs. ...

Agreed, Mr. noa949. I think we'll see more pressure brought by the LBs and CBs depending on the play of our safeties.

50 had a clear shot at Rivers during the SD game and missed. I swear though, if Kawika had made contact, Rivers may not have been able to finish the game. 50 was bringing it. Just a little out of control.

FAX

Fire Me Boy!
10-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Agreed, Mr. noa949. I think we'll see more pressure brought by the LBs and CBs depending on the play of our safeties.

50 had a clear shot at Rivers during the SD game and missed. I swear though, if Kawika had made contact, Rivers may not have been able to finish the game. 50 was bringing it. Just a little out of control.

FAX
He did that twice.

Dick Bull
10-25-2006, 10:26 AM
I wonder why Pollard hasn't seen much playing time? I've seen Page out there a few times. I say we need to get these players on the field more often. We need some headhunters and some speed back there.

I think I remember herm saying that he's still new and making too many mental mistakes as compared to page, but I couldn't provide a link to save my ass.

FWIW, I'm watching the starting safeties making mental mistakes 3 or 4 times a game.

bkkcoh
10-25-2006, 10:33 AM
I think I remember herm saying that he's still new and making too many mental mistakes as compared to page, but I couldn't provide a link to save my ass.

FWIW, I'm watching the starting safeties making mental mistakes 3 or 4 times a game.

Wasn't Page supposed to be a more complete player coming out of college? but Pollard was more of an upside?

MVChiefFan
10-25-2006, 10:51 AM
People were worried about Page choosing baseball over football, that's one reason he went so late. Also, Herm said that their SS position is much more mental than the free safety so when Knight comes out then Wesley moves over to SS and Page comes in at FS since Pollard doesn't play FS.

dtebbe
10-25-2006, 11:45 AM
All I know is that Hali is sure looking like a beast. He was all over all the time last week. Ditto on Allen, but we already knew that. If we had a beast in the middle we'd look alot like the Neil Smith - Dan Saleomoua - Derrick Thomas days. Big Dan was just feasting insdie with DT and NS on the corners.

DT

noa
10-25-2006, 11:47 AM
All I know is that Hali is sure looking like a beast. He was all over all the time last week. Ditto on Allen, but we already knew that. If we had a beast in the middle we'd look alot like the Neil Smith - Dan Saleomoua - Derrick Thomas days. Big Dan was just feasting insdie with DT and NS on the corners.

DT

Too bad Siavii didn't pan out to restore Samoan dominance to our DLine.

Fish
10-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Too bad Siavii didn't pan out to restore Samoan dominance to our DLine.

I vote for cloning Dan Saleaumua......

Fire Me Boy!
10-25-2006, 12:07 PM
I vote for cloning Dan Saleaumua......
Say "yes" to Prop 2! Michael J. Fox is cooler than Mike Sweeney.