PDA

View Full Version : Denver Cop killer Gomez-Garcia receives max sentence...

DenverChief
10-25-2006, 12:12 PM
DENVER - Convicted cop killer, Raul Gomez-Garcia received a maximum sentence of 80 years in prison on Wednesday. Gomez-Garcia was convicted last month of shooting and killing Detective Donnie Young in May of 2005 after he was kicked out of a party. He was found guilty on the charge of second-degree murder.

Gomez-Garcia was also convicted of attempted second-degree murder for shooting Young's partner Jack Bishop.

A Denver district court judge ordered Gomez-Garcia to serve 48 years for second-degree murder, and 32 years for attempted murder.

The sentences are to run consecutively, for a total of 80 years behind bars.

The 21-year-old Gomez-Garcia asked the judge to be allowed to skip his sentencing hearing, and after initially saying such a move was unconstitutional, the judge granted his request.

Young's relatives and friends had asked for the harshest penalty. However, since the judge granted Gomez-Garcia's request, he was not in court to hear what they had to say.

Young's widow, Kelly, testified at the hearing, as did his sister and former partner.

A letter from the couple's daughter was also read into the record.

Prosecutors agreed not to file a first-degree murder charge in exchange for Gomez Garcia's extradition from Mexico. A first-degree murder charge could have meant a death sentence.

BUT

RIFLE (AP) - The State Patrol is asking for Colorado National Guard assistance to find the man suspected of shooting a state trooper in Garfield County Tuesday night.

Authorities are already looking on the ground, setting up road blocks and checking identification in hopes of locating the shooter.

The trooper was hit in the arm about 11:20 p.m., on a county road just east of Rifle. He was able to call for help and was taken by ambulance to the Grand River Medical Center in the town of Rifle and was later transported to St. Mary's Hospital. Officials say he went into surgery about 1 a.m.

Searchers found the suspect's car, with Arizona plates, a short time later, but were unable to locate him. He's described as a white male, 6-feet 1-inch tall, weighing 160 pounds, with sandy blond hair.

Roadblocks have been set up on westbound I-70 at Rifle, and westbound along Frontage Road.

The State Patrol's Eric Wynn says the injured trooper was stable as he went into surgery.

The trooper was said to be resting comfortably at St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, following surgery.

No names were released as the investigation is ongoing.

The Garfield County sheriff's office has asked for a National Guard chopper equipped with an infrared camera. The governor's office would have to approve that request, and it's not clear how useful that would be after sunrise.

The town of Rifle is located about 150 miles west of Denver.

:cuss:

Cochise
10-25-2006, 12:14 PM
Gee I wonder what his immigration status was.

Rain Man
10-25-2006, 12:22 PM
He has quite possibly the lamest defense ever. I read that during the trial he said something like, "He humiliated me by making me leave the party, so I wanted to humiliate him, too. I was only going to shoot where he was wearing a bulletproof vest, but I accidentally shot him in the head."

I'm not kidding. I actually read that.

DenverChief
10-25-2006, 12:24 PM
He has quite possibly the lamest defense ever. I read that during the trial he said something like, "He humiliated me by making me leave the party, so I wanted to humiliate him, too. I was only going to shoot where he was wearing a bulletproof vest, but I accidentally shot him in the head."

I'm not kidding. I actually read that.

I know pretty lame...BTW did you see that denver will egt the KC SEA game?

Rain Man
10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
I know pretty lame...BTW did you see that denver will egt the KC SEA game?

Yeah, and thanks.

I still don't have cable for the big-screen TV at work. :( However, at some point I'm going to buy a big-screen at home. I'll have you over to watch a game if you're interested.

big nasty kcnut
10-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Why can't we sign a treaty with mexico to let us get crooks who murder back here to put them to death. I'm sick of all these guys not dying cause mexico don't have the death penalty.

vailpass
10-25-2006, 12:39 PM
I wish to Heaven we could have caught this illegal alien POS before he crawled back across the border.

In order to get Mexico to extradite we had to agree not to pursue the death penalty, if I understand correctly.

I hope nothing bad happens to seni~or cop killer while he is enoying his striped sunshine. It would be a damn shame if he choked to death on some bad frijoles or suffered a fatal leafblower accident.

Frazod
10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Here's a great big 4321 to Mexico. Their piece of shit government has raised dumping their problems on us to art form level, yet we have to play nice to get some friggin killer extradited?

Hopefully this turd will slip on a bar of soap in prison and accidently get his head sliced off in the fall. :#

And it's way past time to build that f#cking wall and SHOOT ANYTHING that tries to climb it.

Cochise
10-25-2006, 12:51 PM
How come the article doesn't identify him as an illegal?

I guess we don't want to upset anyone. :rolleyes:

DenverChief
10-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, and thanks.

I still don't have cable for the big-screen TV at work. :( However, at some point I'm going to buy a big-screen at home. I'll have you over to watch a game if you're interested.

I'd love to but I hafta work this weekend fri sat and sun 6a to 6p :(

HerculesRockefell
10-25-2006, 04:25 PM
The judge called Gomez Garcia a gutless coward for refusing to be in the courtroom when Officer Young's relatives and his former partner testified.

NJ Chief Fan
10-25-2006, 05:26 PM
should of gotten a purple heart for killing a pig