PDA

View Full Version : Team Pitbull - US OPEN Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Tournament

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 02:06 PM
I got a few requests for pictures from the tournament. There are no pics of my fights although I got it on DVD. We had 7 fighters in 8 events and took 4 gold medals and 2 silvers which is awesome in a tournament of this size with all the Gracie schools and the like out here. BD got a silver and after looking at the fight I lost I really should have been able to turn it around but didn't. Anyway here it goes.

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Yours truly with the smartass smirk.

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 02:10 PM
Scott was the other silver here in the blue. He had 5 fights so it was a really good job. We both started at the same time.

big nasty kcnut
10-25-2006, 02:11 PM
LOL big daddy just glad you did good.

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 02:16 PM
My instructor and Dieogo. Dieogo is a badass.

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Dieogo and Nate. I work with Nate.

burt
10-25-2006, 02:24 PM
more......

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 02:24 PM
This is Wareman the 268 pound Brazilian. He is the guy with the kid on his shoulders. He took double gold in Blue Belt Unlimited and Open Class. This is the guy I get to work with in the Dojo most of the time. Awesome guy

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Here is his kid with the double golds

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Here he is beating some guys ass. I swear grappling with this guy is like trying to wrestle with a Grizzly Bear you just get mauled.

Fish
10-25-2006, 02:31 PM
So.... this wasn't actual pitbull fights?

Just kiddin BD.... put down the large stick..... :)

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 02:46 PM
So.... this wasn't actual pitbull fights?

Just kiddin BD.... put down the large stick..... :)

It's kind of funny I ended up in a school called pitbull jiu-jitsu. My dog is ending up being our mascot. :)

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 03:04 PM
One more of the big guy. I'll bet he takes the gold in purple next year should be fun to watch. BTW the fight of the tournamnet was in adult open class blue. They had a 260 pound guy who used to play in the NFL who was crushing everyone he fought. In finals he was up against some small skinny ass blond surfer dude who everyone thought was about to die. Surfer dude kicked his ass. The place went crazy. Gotta love it.

HC_Chief
10-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the pics!!!

Think I may start training again... this thread has me motivated! :D

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the pics!!!

Think I may start training again... this thread has me motivated! :D

I am picking up Muay Thai in November although I won't compete in that. My stand up is much better than my ground game. I fought full contact as a green belt in Tang Soo Do as a kid. I should be able to really run with the Muay Thai inside of a year. I would like to compete in blue belt division in the open next year. The problem is most people who compete there will have had their blue belt for a couple years but whatever, it will be fun just to give it a shot. It's like being a kid again when you compete and then watch your video. My whole goal when I went into this was to get my blue and medal in a major tournament. I think that is very doable at this point.

MOhillbilly
10-25-2006, 03:18 PM
ill never say you wrassled women to get your medal again.

HC_Chief
10-25-2006, 03:21 PM
I am picking up Muay Thai in November although I won't compete in that. My stand up is much better than my ground game. I fought full contact as a green belt in Tang Soo Do as a kid. I should be able to really run with the Muay Thai inside of a year. I would like to compete in blue belt division in the open next year. The problem is most people who compete there will have had their blue belt for a couple years but whatever, it will be fun just to give it a shot. It's like being a kid again when you compete and then watch your video. My whole goal when I went into this was to get my blue and medal in a major tournament. I think that is very doable at this point.

Muay Thai is my thing ;) Tournies are a blast.... it has been an awful long time since I donned gloves and threw with bad intentions (at an object that can reciprocate, that is)

I want to pick up grappling again. A buddy of mine was training guys for MMA... he's got solid skills all around (Vale Tudo instructor). The only thing I've been grappling lately = Coronas w/ lime.

Good luck!

morphius
10-25-2006, 03:28 PM
If you were any good you could have taken the pictures of your match while fighting...

Congrats on the Silver! Sounds like a fun time.

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 03:29 PM
ill never say you wrassled women to get your medal again.

That black dude that took the gold from me was shredded to the bone. I wasn't expecting somebody more athletic than me. I think we are both going to go down to 205 though so I will probably get to fight him again. Hopefully I get that chance, paybacks a bitch. :)

HC_Chief
10-25-2006, 03:30 PM
If you were any good you could have taken the pictures of your match while fighting...

You get more PP for that!
/Dead Rising reference

:D

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Muay Thai is my thing ;) Tournies are a blast.... it has been an awful long time since I donned gloves and threw with bad intentions (at an object that can reciprocate, that is)

I want to pick up grappling again. A buddy of mine was training guys for MMA... he's got solid skills all around (Vale Tudo instructor). The only thing I've been grappling lately = Coronas w/ lime.

Good luck!

How old are you?

I can relate to the corona thing. I either train or drink so I am really trying to get into the training thing. LMAO

HC_Chief
10-25-2006, 03:51 PM
How old are you?

I can relate to the corona thing. I either train or drink so I am really trying to get into the training thing. LMAO

Mid 30s.

I am currently in a "bulking phase" ;) My bulking suppliment of choice = liquid barley & hops :thumb:

I could easily drop to 185, be ripped and strong as a bull... but the damned bulking phase has me hovering at 210 :D
It also doesn't help that I recently bought some new 360 titles from Zooted Granny.

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Mid 30s.

I am currently in a "bulking phase" ;) My bulking suppliment of choice = liquid barley & hops :thumb:

I could easily drop to 185, be ripped and strong as a bull... but the damned bulking phase has me hovering at 210 :D
It also doesn't help that I recently bought some new 360 titles from Zooted Granny.

You're fine for a little while to still throw down. Weight comes off fast. I went form 235 down to 218 for this tournament. I want to put on 10 pounds of muscle and go down to 205 for the next one. That takes a ton of discipline though and a very strict diet for a full month before the contest. After watching the light heaveyweights I feel really confident that could have taken Gold in that division they weren't nearly as athletic as this guy.

Bwana
10-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Great shots Troy! That big SOB reminds me of a guy I would always have to fight almost every night in the Dojo. The guys name was ED, everyone called him "psychical Ed." The guy was the regional heavy weight state wrestling champ before he got into Judo. The only way to slow him down was a choke out, or an arm bar. Whether it was Judo or Muay Thai, I always found the biggest toughest dude in the house and trained and fought with him. I did that starting when I was a white belt. through various degrees of black belts. You learn A LOT faster that way and become the best you can be. Smart training Troy.

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Great shots Troy! That big SOB reminds me of a guy I would always have to fight almost every night in the Dojo. The guys name was ED, everyone called him "psychical Ed." The guy was the regional heavy weight state wrestling champ before he got into Judo. The only way to slow him down was a choke out, or an arm bar. Whether it was Judo or Muay Thai, I always found the biggest toughest dude in the house and trained and fought with him. I did that starting when I was a white belt. through various degrees of black belts. You learn A LOT faster that way and become the best you can be. Smart training Troy.

You know it's funny, there are so many people who take martial arts but so few that actually compete. I think things get really skewed when you don't compete. Until you can beat the best at the level you are at you shouldn't be moving up, period. We had this guy come down to our Dojo who was supposedly a Black Belt in jiu-jitsu. No way this guy should be a black belt he would be massacred if he competed against them. They wouldn't let me spar with him because dude would get all intense. He would say lets go easy and then try to kill you. He tried ****ing up Wareman the big guy in these pictures and Wareman just broke his ankle. Dude doesn't train with us anymore. LMAO

Bwana
10-25-2006, 04:56 PM
You know it's funny, there are so many people who take martial arts but so few that actually compete. I think things get really skewed when you don't compete. Until you can beat the best at the level you are at you shouldn't be moving up, period. We had this guy come down to our Dojo who was supposedly a Black Belt in jiu-jitsu. No way this guy should be a black belt he would be massacred if he competed against them. They wouldn't let me spar with him because dude would get all intense. He would say lets go easy and then try to kill you. He tried ****ing up Wareman the big guy in these pictures and Wareman just broke his ankle. Dude doesn't train with us anymore. LMAO

I've see it as well. Some of these clowns must have got their black belt on Ebay. When I was a brown belt, I ended up having to fight the black belts in a tournament because I was the only brown belt there. They were just going to give me the gold for Brown. I told them hell no, it wouldn't mean anything if it was just given to me. I told them I want to fight, put me with the black belts. After a long debate among the upper black belts, they let me do it. I ended up taking 2nd. IMHO, there were only 3 out of about 25 that should have had their black belts and had some serious game.

This was one of my instructors (2nd guy down Master Park) for many years before I got into Muay Thai. This is the one guy that taught me that looks can be VERY deceptive early on. He is about 170 soaking wet but as old school as it gets and one easy going person, but bad ass fighter.
http://www.kyuki-do.com/Default.aspx?Page=Masters

B2chiefsfan
10-25-2006, 04:59 PM
My wife and I have recently taken up Aikido. She really digs it.

I've been involved in the martial arts world since I was a little 12 year old runt. I love the grappling arts and enjoy trading leather in the ring.

Curtis Bush"The Explosive Thin Man" was my trainer/cornerman/sparing partner during the eighties.

B2chiefsfan
10-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Kazushi Sakuraba vs Gracies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CERNSyu2q3c

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 05:10 PM
I've see it as well. Some of these clowns must have got their black belt on Ebay. When I was a brown belt, I ended up having to fight the black belts in a tournament because I was the only brown belt there. They were just going to give me the gold for Brown. I told them hell no, it wouldn't mean anything if it was just given to me. I told them I want to fight, put me with the black belts. After a long debate among the upper black belts, they let me do it. I ended up taking 2nd. IMHO, there were only 3 out of about 25 that should have had their black belts and had some serious game.

This was one of my instructors (2nd guy down Master Park) for many years before I got into Muay Thai. This is the one guy that taught me that looks can be VERY deceptive early on. He is about 170 soaking wet but as old school as it gets and one easy going person, but bad ass fighter.
http://www.kyuki-do.com/Default.aspx?Page=Masters

Cool, at least the guys you're talking about are out there competing. I would say 90% of people taking martial arts never compete but still expect to move up. In our school unless you are medaling in majors you are not going to move up, period. I think we just had a guy quit over that because he has yet to move up in 2 1/2 years and has competed. Problem is the guy never wins. If you win in majors then that will earn you consideration. Nobody in our school gets moved up too quickly. Gracie and Machado schools are like that too. Some times it takes years to move up just one color.

Bwana
10-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Cool, at least the guys you're talking about are out there competing. I would say 90% of people taking martial arts never compete but still expect to move up. In our school unless you are medaling in majors you are not going to move up, period. I think we just had a guy quit over that because he has yet to move up in 2 1/2 years and has competed. Problem is the guy never wins. If you win in majors then that will earn you consideration. Nobody in our school gets moved up too quickly. Gracie and Machado schools are like that too. Some times it takes years to move up just one color.

Exactly and as it should be. That is why I like the old school instructors. A lot of the newer schools have some lackey named Biff that blows in off the street that calls himself a black belt. (You have seen the type) He opens a school with money that Mumsie and Daders left him in his trust fund. Those guys throw belts around with reckless abandon. “Hello little Tony, you have been here 3 months, here's your yellow belt.” A rule with no exception, that guys students are not only going to get owned at a tournament, but if they run into trouble on the street, they are going to get their ass handed to them. Not only is the physical training not there, they lack mental toughness when an incident arises to ward off an attack.

BIG_DADDY
10-25-2006, 05:59 PM
Exactly and as it should be. That is why I like the old school instructors. A lot of the newer schools have some lackey named Biff that blows in off the street that calls himself a black belt. (You have seen the type) He opens a school with money that Mumsie and Daders left him in his trust fund. Those guys throw belts around with reckless abandon. “Hello little Tony, you have been here 3 months, here's your yellow belt.” A rule with no exception, that guys students are not only going to get owned at a tournament, but if they run into trouble on the street, they are going to get their ass handed to them. Not only is the physical training not there, they lack mental toughness when an incident arises to ward off an attack.

Practice a move a 1000 times it's a start.
Practice it 10,000 that's better.
Practice it a lifetime and you just might get it. LMAO

Bwana
10-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Practice a move a 1000 times it's a start.
Practice it 10,000 that's better.
Practice it a lifetime and you just might get it. LMAO

Wow! You just gave me a flashback! Master Park??

Exactly. :)

big nasty kcnut
10-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Yep i been training myself in differant styles to help with my anger problems. I rather self teach myself cause i can be over aggressive sometime and don't want to hurt any training partner. I'm very good in my take down and submission. Also working on getting better striking skills.

TopJet2
10-25-2006, 09:24 PM
I started training in traditional Jujitsu about 2 years ago. I have found myself really getting into not only the physical part of it but also the history that goes along with the samurai culture. As far as belts go, I try not to put too much stock in them. Our dojo does not award them for time served or for competitions, it is based on knowledge level plus experience and all around attitude in and out of the dojo. A test is also required to advance. I have wondered does BJJ teach a lot of the history of Jujitsu past when it was imported into Brazil?

Dark Horse
10-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Yep i been training myself in differant styles to help with my anger problems.

So are you saying that now when you get mad you break someones freaking neck. There now I feel better that really helped. :huh:

BIG_DADDY
10-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Yep i been training myself in differant styles to help with my anger problems. I rather self teach myself cause i can be over aggressive sometime and don't want to hurt any training partner. I'm very good in my take down and submission. Also working on getting better striking skills.

I just want to know how you get really good at take down and submission without a training partner.

BIG_DADDY
10-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I started training in traditional Jujitsu about 2 years ago. I have found myself really getting into not only the physical part of it but also the history that goes along with the samurai culture. As far as belts go, I try not to put too much stock in them. Our dojo does not award them for time served or for competitions, it is based on knowledge level plus experience and all around attitude in and out of the dojo. A test is also required to advance. I have wondered does BJJ teach a lot of the history of Jujitsu past when it was imported into Brazil?

I can't speak for everyone as all of what I have learned is from the Gracie system. Considering the Gracie's made a name for themself by going into other dojo's and calling out the head instructor I am not sure this attitude thing you talk about inside and outside of the dojo is something they embrace. LMAO MOF at the US Open we almost had a brawl between 2 guys one from Cesar Gracie's school and one from Ralph Gracie's school. As far as history goes I think the Gracie legacy is the only thing they have went over other than aknowledging that the roots of the system they developed came from Japan. I didn't really get into it as there is a lot of turmoil amoungst family members within the Gracie clan.

TopJet2
10-27-2006, 07:51 PM
I know that I was severely dissapointed when Royce got smoked when he fought Matt Hughes, I wasnt expecting him to win really but I would have benn happy if he would have been competetive.