PDA

View Full Version : Could a QB Controversy develop in KC?

easymobee
10-25-2006, 03:46 PM
Lets say Damon Huard keeps playing like he is now.

What if the Chiefs are 5-3 when Trent Green comes back, and he has a hard time shaking off the rust.

The Chiefs lose that first game back or even the 1st 2 games back.

Could there actually be a QB Controversy in the cards for you guys?

Any thoughts?

ChiefsOne
10-25-2006, 03:47 PM
No

ChiefsCountry
10-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Its Green's team. Even if we lose in Miami (which I expect will happen for some strange reason) there wont be a controversy.

Bwana
10-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Could it: YES

Will it: Not Likely

noa
10-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Herm was very clear about this. Unless he was lying to everyone after the game, you can expect Trent to start when he is healthy.

JimNasium
10-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Trent Green is not Elvis Grbac. Elvis never had the heart of this team. Trent always has.

DMAC
10-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Come on, you guys really think if Green stinks it up there won't be a controversy?

Please.

|Zach|
10-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Not at all.

We have had to "Plummer" our offense taking a lot of things out. Trent Green has been the leader of this offense for a very very long time.

Thanks to Huard for all the great work he has done. This is Trent Green's offense.

Simplex3
10-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Should there be? No.

Will there be? There are plenty of idiots out there.

JimNasium
10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Come on, you guys really think if Green stinks it up there won't be a controversy?

Please.
Where? On this board? Of course, but there's drama here by the minute. On the team? No way in hell. Put down the crack pipe.

FAX
10-25-2006, 03:59 PM
I asked this question as well, Mr. easymobee, and I don't think it's unreasonable.

Trent could very well have problems in his first/second game back due to his absense, loss of practice time, the fact that our line isn't much better than it was, and, for all we know, he may start seeing dancing Gillian Andersons on third and long.

I don't think a controversy would erupt unless or until Trent demonstrated poor play. But, if that happened, I'd be interested to see what Herm would do.

FAX

DMAC
10-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Put down the crack pipe.You will have to take it from me.

Hey! Give it back!!

JimNasium
10-25-2006, 04:02 PM
I asked this question as well, Mr. easymobee, and I don't think it's unreasonable.

Trent could very well have problems in his first/second game back due to his absense, loss of practice time, the fact that our line isn't much better than it was, and, for all we know, he may start seeing dancing Gillian Andersons on third and long.

I don't think a controversy would erupt unless or until Trent demonstrated poor play. But, if that happened, I'd be interested to see what Herm would do.

FAXOnce again Mr. Fax, there are two types of controversies. One created by fickle fans and we commonly see them here on a regular basis. The second involves the team. Those are more destructive in nature and occur when the team loses faith in it's leader. This team trusts Green and Herm isn't rushing him back until he is ready. I don't think a controversy is going to develop around a journeyman QB who led his team to a .500 record.

JimNasium
10-25-2006, 04:02 PM
You will have to take it from me.

Hey! Give it back!!
:p

Rooster
10-25-2006, 04:03 PM

FAX

You have been watching X-Files all day long on the link from the other thread haven't you Mr. FAX. :)

cdcox
10-25-2006, 04:05 PM

Not to mention his vision might be blurry from the blood pooling in his eye sockets.

HC_Chief
10-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Nope.

This is Trent's team. Huard has done a good job. For that, he can keep his backup QB job (best job in the league, IMO)

Halfcan
10-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Nope.

This is Trent's team. Huard has done a good job. For that, he can keep his backup QB job (best job in the league, IMO)

Huard will make good trade bait for next year. Maybe we can get a second out of him.

PinkFloyd
10-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Everything will be just fine when King Carl signs Jeff George !!! ROFL

I'm just focking with you all... Trent will be ok... I think he might be alittle "spooked" when some big S.O.B. comes within arms reach of sacking his butt... But; I believe he will be just fine...

FAX
10-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Once again Mr. Fax, there are two types of controversies. One created by fickle fans and we commonly see them here on a regular basis. The second involves the team. Those are more destructive in nature and occur when the team loses faith in it's leader. This team trusts Green and Herm isn't rushing him back until he is ready. I don't think a controversy is going to develop around a journeyman QB who led his team to a .500 record.

I see your point, Mr. JimNasium. No. I don't think that the team would ever turn on Trent. Not ever.

I see fickle fan opinions as sort of a non-issue, frankly. Fan opinions have no impact one way or the other. Especially mine.

But, what I think is interesting to speculate about is what decision Herm would make if (and I emphasise the iffiness part of this whole if question) Trent came out rusty and needed a few games to get back up to speed. Games we can't afford to lose. If I recall correctly, Trent's taken a game or two in the last few seasons to get his rhythm.

FAX

Crashride
10-25-2006, 04:19 PM
How is he gonna play in a wheel chair?

GoodDaySir!
10-25-2006, 04:22 PM
What if Trent comes back and wasn't the Trent of old? Then what?

PastorMikH
10-25-2006, 04:22 PM
No.

Huard can get the ball to the playmakers, Green is a playmaker.

PastorMikH
10-25-2006, 04:23 PM
What if Trent comes back and wasn't the Trent of old? Then what?

He'd still be better than Jake Plumber.

Cochise
10-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Huard will make good trade bait for next year. Maybe we can get a second out of him.

We are going to trade our starting quarterback for next year?

Short Leash Hootie
10-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I've been saying no all along...I really have, but this thought has really crossed my mind.

I'm getting used to this being Huard's team in all honesty.

When Green is ready, I want to see when he brings to the table, but if we studder, I might wonder 'what if?'

Let's make one thing clear: Green has to be feeling a little bit of pressure now, because if he takes over and we're 5-3 and DON'T make the playoffs, there are going to be a lot of angry Chiefs fans...myself included.

Short Leash Hootie
10-25-2006, 04:25 PM
you're ****ing dumb.

Crashride
10-25-2006, 04:25 PM
I dont know. Judging on how Herm handled Turley when he came back I could see him putting Huard in if Trent "isnt the same." He kept Turley out from starting because there were to many changes and he wanted them to gel so id imagine hed want the same for his qb.

Short Leash Hootie
10-25-2006, 04:28 PM
and Fax, Green looked pretty good against Cincy week 1, his throws were on the money...he threw one pick that wasn't his fault...but his biggest problem was he doesn't get rid of the ball like Huard has been doing.

Green is so used to having all day in the pocket I don't know what to expect. He looked shaky at best last year against Buffalo when he had no time to pass...so we'll just have to wait and see. One thing about Huard is, he doesn't take very many sacks.

However, Green was running an offense week 1 that we've totally scrapped. That was Solari trying to be Saunders, now we're establishing a new identity.

I'm excited to see Green run our new offense...I think his play-action passes will be deadly. We'll just wait and see.

Luke
10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
I think it is called a "Nightmare Scenerio" I believe it is very possible. :hmmm:

penguinz
10-25-2006, 04:30 PM
A QB controversy there will not be.

PastorMikH
10-25-2006, 04:33 PM
We are going to trade our starting quarterback for next year?

Actually if Croyle can beef up a bit to help him avoid injury and show some skill coming in to relieve the starter this season AND Green comes back healthy and wants to play next season, I wouldn't have any problem trading Huard for a first or second rounder. First rounder wouldn't be probable with his age, but the way Huard has played, someone that's desparate might - we traded a first for Green, he was 3 years younger but hadn't seen as much game time as Huard. A lower to mid round second rounder is a possibility. I wouldn't go any lower than a second though unless the trade included some decent players.

Cochise
10-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Actually if Croyle can beef up a bit to help him avoid injury and show some skill coming in to relieve the starter this season AND Green comes back healthy and wants to play next season, I wouldn't have any problem trading Huard for a first or second rounder. First rounder wouldn't be probable with his age, but the way Huard has played, someone that's desparate might - we traded a first for Green, he was 3 years younger but hadn't seen as much game time as Huard. A lower to mid round second rounder is a possibility. I wouldn't go any lower than a second though unless the trade included some decent players.

Dude, his brain is bleeding. He's retiring.

JimNasium
10-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Don't forget that someones brothers, sisters, aunts, dentists, trashman goes to church with Trent. He's done.

Short Leash Hootie
10-25-2006, 04:39 PM
no one is going to give us a god damn first, second, third, fourth or even a fifth rounder for Damon Huard. Jesus Christ.

PastorMikH
10-25-2006, 04:42 PM

If he does retire, then we keep Huard. If he is back to form and wants to play a few more years, then why not? This is the first time since Green came that a backup QB saw any real PT. If we can get some protection in the O line again, Green could see some solid protection again.

FWIW, I still have no doubts Green will be back this season. I read speculation on here that he won't but everything I hear from him in interviews and from the media is that he is planning on coming back.

Rooster
10-25-2006, 04:49 PM
no one is going to give us a god damn first, second, third, fourth or even a fifth rounder for Damon Huard. Jesus Christ.

I gotta go with Hootie on this one. I just don't see it. Maybe I will see it differently as the season goes on.

underEJ
10-25-2006, 04:55 PM
He'll get extended benefit of the doubt from me. He proved pretty damn durable coming here with a "what if he's not the same?" and "will he hold up to the hits?" collection of questions, but I'd like him to come back in a home game just to make sure he's got that extra comfort zone.

I just read the ESPN magazine article featured on espn.com's NFL home page and I've got to say, I'm pretty happy with the caution being exercised in this recovery. It's about the medical advisor who seems to want to send concussion victims right back out on the field, and says reinjury isn't more likely with an early return. I'm not a doctor but I've had more than one concussion and what he says in the article just seems ill-advised.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2636795

PastorMikH
10-25-2006, 05:00 PM

Really. What did we give for Trent?

Trent had a a completion percentage of 56.39, a 7.3 yard per pass average, and a QB rating of 88.10 and he was 31 years old when he came to KC.

Huard has a completion percentage of 60.62, a 6.3 yard per pass average and a lifetime QB rating of 82.411 and he's 33 years old.

He's not all that much different that Trent when Trent came to KC. (Don't forget, Trent got to work with the Rams WRs in building a good part of his stats too) Like I said, a little older is about all. I don't think a second rounder is out of the question for a team that needs a QB.

the Talking Can
10-25-2006, 06:10 PM
if there is a QB controversy then KC fans are the dumbest fans in the league....maybe they are...

Cochise
10-25-2006, 06:13 PM
if there is a QB controversy then KC fans are the dumbest fans in the league....maybe they are...

New here? ;)

Thig Lyfe
10-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Only if Trent can't block as well as he used to.

BWillie
10-25-2006, 06:28 PM
I love Trent Green, I really do. I think he's a class act, and is the heart and soul of this team but I really think Damon Huard is a good quarterback. This is not to say I don't want Green to start when he is healthy because I do, but if Trent REALLY struggles in his first few games back EVERYONE is going to think about the possibility whether they like it or not. You can't not admit that to yourselves. Some guys, reguardless of what type of injury, don't come back at full strength, for whatever reason it may be. We've been hearing some stuff here and there about how severe Trents concussion was, and it was a tough blow. He's not getting any younger, and after the shot he took it is easy for him to have happy feet or to be always thinking about that hit. I hope it doesn't happen, but we don't know what the future holds.

I mean for god sakes, can you blame Huard for not starting on a team? When has he got the chance? He's sat behind Trent Green, Tom Brady, and Dan freaking Marino. The guy isn't a slouch.

I for one am really happy for Damon, and I wish him the best. It has got to be frustrating to know that you have this kind of talent and skill and not be given a shot your entire life in the league. Before Trent got hurt, this is a guy that has been in the league for ten years, and has only really played in 5 games, in which he did well.

With that said, I hope Trent comes out blazing to put this to rest, and in the offseason we can get some good trade value for Huard.

Simply Red
10-25-2006, 06:40 PM
My best guess...

Worst case scenario is:

They'll hold him back from starting a few additional games. I'm guessing his rust will or will not show up at practice, scrimage and coaches will have a grip on that and start him accordingly.

chiefsfaninNC
10-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Is this the preseason? WTF is this?

ChiefaRoo
10-25-2006, 07:38 PM
NO, but some dumbshits out there will think there is one.

cdcox
10-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Some Steelers fans are touting Batch over Roethlisberger. Huard over Green would be that kind of stupid.

Count Alex's Losses
10-25-2006, 08:24 PM
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1866/huardav3un4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

milkman
10-25-2006, 08:33 PM
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1866/huardav3un4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Right on cue.

NO, but some dumbshits out there will think there is one.

Mosbonian
10-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Right on cue.

Sorry milkman....that's my fault. I actually coined the term "Saint Huard" in the other thread.

My bad... :banghead:

mmaddog

Bob Dole
10-25-2006, 08:38 PM
No controversy.

Doesn't Mathew Perry have to resume filming his new TV series in a couple of weeks, anyway?

milkman
10-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Sorry milkman....that's my fault. I actually coined the term "Saint Huard" in the other thread.

My bad... :banghead:

mmaddog

GoFeisty doesn't know football, but he does know photoshop.

It's a pretty clever pic, actually.

Direckshun
10-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Trent will not come back until he is 100% ready, crisp and prepared, and completely free of rust.

He will have a great game when he returns against a vulnerable Miami or Oakland defense and put this whole issue to rest.

RedThat
10-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Nah. No QB controversy.

Huard has done a FINE job as a backup. But still, you gotta go with Green. He is your leader back there, and nobody knows this offense better than him. You gotta go with the proven guy, who knows the offense inside out. Those things outweigh Huards play. Not knocking on Huard, but, I think our offense is better with Green there.

And you also have to factor in, opposing defenses will focus more on Green than Huard. That makes a difference, amd our offense more effective. I also believe it will make LJ a better back too.

Direckshun
10-25-2006, 11:38 PM
I also believe it will make LJ a better back too.
Money.

Demonpenz
10-26-2006, 12:28 AM
i am still amazed how bad huard sucked at camp and now he is doing well. If trent comes back and we loose some games and we are missing the playoffs throw in croyle

PastorMikH
10-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Trent will not come back until he is 100% ready, crisp and prepared, and completely free of rust.

He will have a great game when he returns against a vulnerable Miami or Oakland defense and put this whole issue to rest.

I do think that the fact that we are winning with Huard is part of the reason why Green hasn't had to hurry back. If Huard can get us through the next 3-4 games with W's (and some here have speculated we can win the next 6) Trent will be able to come in around Dec and actually be able to go into potential post-season play relatively fresh.

Now, if we had dropped the 4 games Huard started, Trent might have hurried a bit more just to try and save the season. Just a thought.

TinyEvel
10-26-2006, 01:45 AM
Trent will be the guy. He looks better on the Wheaties box

(introducing the worst Photoshop job ever...)

Demonpenz
10-26-2006, 01:46 AM
gannnnon could scrambe huard counld not

TinyEvel
10-26-2006, 01:51 AM
gannnnon could scrambe huard counld not

based on that typing, i don't know who's drunker...you or I.

Wile_E_Coyote
10-26-2006, 05:10 AM
a manger trying to get gochiefs riled up. It will be a little difficult getting a draft pick for a free agent. Unless you think Huard is dumb enough to not try & find out his worth on the open market

thurman merman
10-26-2006, 09:59 PM
trent green is the undisputed leader of this team

Easy 6
10-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Trent will have to come out and play like the second coming of Danny Wuerffel for it to even be a remote possibility.