PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 10/25

C-Mac
10-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 10/25
Oct 25, 2006, 3:08:15 PM

herm1025VIDEO: Herm Edwards - Real

HERM EDWARDS: “For the most part, a pretty good practice. We know what we have to get accomplished this week. You’re dealing with a (Seattle) football team that has been a very good football team the last couple of years. I anticipate that these guys will come in here very focused and when you get players injured what generally happens is teams rally. I anticipate these guys rallying around their quarterback and we have to be ready for that.

“It’s kind of similar to our situation when we walked into Denver. We were a little bit wounded. We knew we were going to play the game a certain style. For the most part, we did that even though we didn’t win the game. But we had a chance. We have to anticipate that they’re going to come in here with a great plan. Mike Holmgren is a great football coach and has won a lot of games. He’s a guy I respect; I respect his team and the way he does things.”

Q: How did Trent (Green) look today?

EDWARDS: “From the little bit I saw he threw the ball well. But he’s been doing that. You could tell because there were cameras at practice. There haven’t been cameras out there in a month. Trent showed up and all the cameras showed up. Good for Trent. I thought it was a rock star concert.”

Q: What about John Welbourn?

EDWARDS: “Welbourn. He didn’t throw the ball, but he blocked some guys. He did OK.”

Q: You’re still not thinking he’s going to be ready for this week’s game?

EDWARDS: “Uhmmmmmmmmm. No. I don’t think so.”

Q: Is he going to need the whole two weeks?

EDWARDS: “I don’t know. We’ll see tomorrow. Today was his first day and he hasn’t practiced since OTA’s or around there.”

Q: When Trent does come back will you insert him for the whole game or will you give him a half like the pre-season to acclimate him?

EDWARDS: “That’s a good question. I haven’t thought about that one yet. But I don’t have to ask that question yet.”

Q: What all did he do today?

EDWARDS: “He just threw the ball around the ball yard. That’s all. I know he threw the ball in some individual drills to the receivers. You guys saw him throw it. What you saw is basically what he did. He wasn’t involved in any team situations today at all. Just throwing the ball what you witnessed.”

Q: What about Svitek and Scanlon? It looked like they were working.

EDWARDS: “Yeah, they practiced. Right now they’re listed as questionable.”

Q: As far as Trent coming back you haven’t circled a date yet have you?

EDWARDS: “No. I don’t know. I go day to day. I know that today’s the first day he’s come out and put a helmet on. We’ll just go from there. Tomorrow’s a different day.”

Q: Have you decided what side you want to put Welbourn on?

EDWARDS: “Right now he’s playing left. We’ve all of a sudden acquired a lot of tackles. We’ve got Welbourn and Chris Terry who’s been with Carolina and Seattle. We’ve got 13 offensive linemen. I thought we were back in training camp we’ve got so many offensive linemen.”

Q: Why left though?

EDWARDS: “Just wanted to put him over there to see how he does. We’ve got about four or five right tackles right now, so we need some backup help at left. We’ll see how he does at left and he’s a versatile guy. He’s played right (tackle) and he’s played guard.”

Q: He never played left there has he?

EDWARDS: “He was actually the backup guy there in Philly. He’s a Cal-Berkeley guy. Those guys can play both sides.”

Q: Is that a testament to how well Kevin Sampson’s been playing at right tackle?

EDWARDS: “There’s a log jam, that’s the problem. We’ve got a log jam of tackles. We’re going to see where he’s going to play. That’s what you do with a guy who has a two week exemption. You just let him play and see where he’s at.”

Q: With Welbourn coming back why the need to add another tackle?

EDWARDS: “He’s a good football player, pretty good and like I always say, you’re a better team if you have good players. We’ll see where he’s at.”

Q: Why was he out of the league?

EDWARDS: “He was suspended but is now back re-instated. That’s where it’s at.”

Q: What kind of shape is he in after he’s been out for a while?

EDWARDS: “The thing about him - and it happened to him last year – he practiced for about a week and he played. But he was in training camp. He missed training camp this year. Now, he’s a workout kind of guy. When he wasn’t here he was working out. He wasn’t working out football-wise, but he was working out. Now it’s just a matter of him practicing. He’s a guy who takes care of himself and is a guy that’s played on short notice. We’ll just see where he’s at, but he’s in pretty good physical shape right now.”

Q: How has the offense evolved since he was last part of it?

EDWARDS: “It’s changed a little bit with the quarterback situation. The terminology is the same. That’s the whole key. He understands the terminology; he’s been here. It’s a great part for him and he understands what we’re calling. They don’t let guys into the University of California at Berkeley unless you’re smart. I know that. I’m still trying to figure out how I got in there. It’s just a matter of him practicing and fundamental techniques. He’ll put pads on tomorrow.”

Q: Trent seemed pretty revved up to be out there today.

EDWARDS: “Absolutely. Yes. He’s been waiting to start practicing and it was good to see him out there with a helmet and jersey finally. He’s been out there throwing on his own.”

Q: Ever play a game like Seattle has without your all-pro quarterback and running back?

EDWARDS: “Yeah. Last year (in New York). Curtis Martin, receivers, offensive line, quarterback. We had 13 guys hurt. When you lose good players what basically happens is your team rallies around whoever is in there. What’s great is these guys will get back. I was in situations where they weren’t coming back. They’ll just have to play without the quarterback this week. They’ll find a way to play.”

Q: Ever see a game one day around here where you play without Trent Green and Larry Johnson?

EDWARDS: “No, but, hey….. (knocks on wooden podium)”

Q: Does it make it hard to prepare for a team that is in such a transitional state like Seattle?

EDWARDS: “Not really, ‘cause they’re going to do certain things offensively because that’s what they do. Whoever the next guys are have to do that. They’ve played games already without the runner. Their system is their system. Seneca Wallace is the quarterback and if he wasn’t Mike Holmgren wouldn’t have him as number two if he wasn’t. He’s developed a lot of good quarterbacks. He knows what he’s doing and we have to be ready for that when they come in here.”

Crashride
10-25-2006, 03:32 PM

EDWARDS: “Welbourn. He didn’t throw the ball, but he blocked some guys. He did OK.”

LOL

DaFace
10-25-2006, 03:39 PM

What kind of question is that?

Crashride
10-25-2006, 03:41 PM
This interview was a battle of wits

Rooster
10-25-2006, 03:42 PM

LOL

I liked that quote too. Herm always has a couple it seems. :)

noa
10-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Herm says that those Cal-Berkeley guys go both ways. LMAO

DaneMcCloud
10-25-2006, 03:47 PM

Maybe a battle of Nitwits? :shrug:

Baby Lee
10-25-2006, 03:51 PM

Err, because he might be the best option at the position?

Discuss Thrower
10-25-2006, 03:52 PM
That Welbourne comment seemed something out of an adaptation of "Who's on first?" to me.

CosmicPal
10-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Q: Ever play a game like Seattle has without your all-pro quarterback and running back?

Q: Ever see a game one day around here where you play without Trent Green and Larry Johnson?

Good lord, who are these dumbass reporters?

Uhhhh, hey coach. Ever get a wedgie when you weren't expecting it?

Duhhhh, have you ever eaten a meal without a fork and spoon. Uhhhh, ya know, like with your hands?

Uhhhh, coach, ever play a game when it was nuthin' but defensive backs. Ya know, like you didn't have any defensive linemen available. And uhhh, oh, like any linebackers either? Ever play a game like dat coach?

Uhhhh hey coach, ever see a football game when the kicker had to win it at the end? I don't like that coach. Makes me nervous. But hey, ever see that happen coach?

FAX
10-25-2006, 04:03 PM

Duhhhh, have you ever eaten a meal without a fork and spoon. Uhhhh, ya know, like with your hands?

Uhhhh, coach, ever play a game when it was nuthin' but defensive backs. Ya know, like you didn't have any defensive linemen available. And uhhh, oh, like any linebackers either? Ever play a game like dat coach?

Uhhhh hey coach, ever see a football game when the kicker had to win it at the end? I don't like that coach. Makes me nervous. But hey, ever see that happen coach?

ROFL

So true.

FAX

StcChief
10-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Again the media exposed as half wits.

milkman
10-25-2006, 05:39 PM
What kind of question is that?

I think the reporter(s) had intended the question to be about Chris Terry.

Q: With Welbourn coming back why the need to add another tackle?

EDWARDS: “He’s a good football player, pretty good and like I always say, you’re a better team if you have good players. We’ll see where he’s at.”

Chan93lx50
10-25-2006, 07:35 PM

Uhhhh hey coach what do you think about the can liners in the new cans of coors light

brent102fire
10-25-2006, 08:03 PM
College Bio
Was an All-America selection and first-team All-Pac 10 selection at left tackle as a senior at the University of California in ‘98, serving as a starter in his final three seasons with the Golden Bears … Allowed just 2.0 sacks in his three seasons as a starter for the Golden Bears … Moved over to left tackle as a junior and earned honorable mention All-Pac 10 accolades after going the whole season without allowing a sack … Cracked the lineup at right guard as a sophomore in ‘96, opening eight games at that spot under the direction of head coach Steve Marriucci … Majored in Rhetoric at California and enrolled in the university’s graduate school of Education following his graduation in May of ‘98.
:hmmm:

bishop_74
10-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Majored in Rhetoric?!?!?

milkman
10-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Majored in Rhetoric?!?!?

Not a bad major, if you aspire to be an attorney.

I believe that Welbourne does.

bishop_74
10-25-2006, 09:21 PM
I thought it was a term, not a major. I didn't realize you could major in it. Sounds like you could get just as many jobs as a marketing major. :) If it can land you a job as an attorney though...

milkman
10-25-2006, 09:31 PM
I thought it was a term, not a major. I didn't realize you could major in it. Sounds like you could get just as many jobs as a marketing major. :) If it can land you a job as an attorney though...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Rhetoric

3. the study of the effective use of language.

TinyEvel
10-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Did you watch the video of the PC on KCCHIEFS.com?
It seemed like Herm was drunk for the first couple of minutes. All shuckin' and jivin' and making snarky comments.
Kind of like me when I get back from T.G.I. Friday's.

runnercyclist
10-26-2006, 08:07 AM

Marketing is a great major. Very versitile and opens the door to a lot of high paying jobs. It has served me well.

shaneo69
10-26-2006, 09:54 AM

Err, because he might be the best option at the position?

Edwards: Because we will be cutting Turley's ass any minute now.