PDA

View Full Version : Voice Recognition Software

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Anyone tried Dragon 9 or IBM's via voice or similiar programs?

PastorMikH
10-25-2006, 10:06 PM
I remember trying one of the dragon programs about 6 years ago. It took forever to learn to recognize my speech, and even when it did, if I said something too fast, slow, or in anyway differently than it had learned, it would mess up.

The newer ones may be better, but I opted to spend the time on the Planet improving my typing skills. Now I can type almost as fast as I can talk without a ton many mistakes.

Simplex3
10-25-2006, 10:54 PM
All voice reco software requires training for any task more complex than "one of these 10 words" type things. Something free form like you're talking about will reqiure significant "training". The issue with training is that if your voice changes it won't know and will assume various wild things. So, when you have a cold, for instance, it won't work well.

They also have serious issues with proper punctuation. Add to that words like "their they're there", and you can wind up with a significant amount of grammar errors. The English language simply doesn't lend itself to this type of application without being able to teach a PC about your dialect, etc.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2006, 11:23 PM
All voice reco software requires training for any task more complex than "one of these 10 words" type things. Something free form like you're talking about will reqiure significant "training". The issue with training is that if your voice changes it won't know and will assume various wild things. So, when you have a cold, for instance, it won't work well.

They also have serious issues with proper punctuation. Add to that words like "their they're there", and you can wind up with a significant amount of grammar errors. The English language simply doesn't lend itself to this type of application without being able to teach a PC about your dialect, etc.

I believe that you can have Dragon scan all of your existing text documents to, in effect, learn your dialect and diction.