PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Johnson, played tuba for 'Jaws' theme, dies at 71 in Los Angeles

Fire Me Boy!
10-26-2006, 09:08 AM
Tommy Johnson, played tuba for 'Jaws' theme, dies at 71 in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES (AP) Remember the scary tuba music when the shark in the movie "Jaws" was about to strike?

The man responsible for that music has died. Tommy Johnson was the tuba player whose notes provided the backdrop to those frightening moments.

Johnson was 71 and died at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles from cancer and kidney failure.

During his 50-year career, Johnson provided musical heft to a lot of films, including "The Godfather," "The Star Trek" movies and "Titanic."

Jaws composer John Williams says when he wrote the theme, he wanted instruments that could plunge "the sonic depths." He says the tuba is an instrument that can do that and says Tommy Johnson played it "with great facility and ease."

Johnson also worked in television and performed with the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Academy Awards Orchestra.

jiveturkey
10-26-2006, 09:19 AM
I've been looking for something to give a shit about today. I guess that this will have to do.

Fire Me Boy!
10-26-2006, 09:24 AM
I've been looking for something to give a shit about today. I guess that this will have to do.
ROFL

Hey! He's the JAWS guy!

The main "shark" theme, a simple alternating pattern of two notes, F and F sharp, became a classic piece of suspense music, synonymous with approaching danger. When the piece was first played for Spielberg, he was said to have laughed at John Williams, thinking that it was a joke. Spielberg later said that without Williams' score, the film would have been only half as successful, and Williams acknowledges that the score jumpstarted his career.

siberian khatru
10-26-2006, 09:26 AM
I have all his albums, although his earlier work was better than his later stuff, which was more commercial.

Rain Man
10-26-2006, 10:32 AM
I have all his albums, although his earlier work was better than his later stuff, which was more commercial.

Did you ever go to one of his concerts? The dude was a wild man on stage.

deadbabyseal
10-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Tuba Solo!!!!!!!!!!!!

siberian khatru
10-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Did you ever go to one of his concerts? The dude was a wild man on stage.

Sadly, all I really remember was the abundant drug usage.

FAX
10-26-2006, 11:33 AM
We were partying to his greatest hits album when our woofers blew.

FAX

Rain Man
10-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Sadly, all I really remember was the abundant drug usage.

I heard that people would use piccolos to snort cocaine, but I never saw it.

SNR
10-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting this guy in college during my time studying with the LA Philharmonic. Just from talking with him, his personality just screamed "Tuba player"

kcfanintitanhell
10-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Dan Patrick just spent the first 10 minutes of his radio show talking about this very thing. Pretty funny...