PDA

View Full Version : ESPN columnist blasts Pittsburg State for running up scores on opponents

KingPriest2
10-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Obscure College Score of the Week No. 1:

Pittsburg of Kansas 63, Southwest Baptist 20. Pittsburg of Kansas is the Matewan High of college football, a team that seeks out weak opponents then relentlessly runs up the score against them.

Two years ago, on its way to having the highest-scoring season in college football history, Pittsburg of Kansas faked a punt while leading 63-7. Then faced with an equal foe, the Gorillas honked the Division II title game.

This Saturday, Pittsburg of Kansas led Southwest Baptist 49-17 at the start of the fourth quarter yet continued to pass, relentlessly trying to run up the score on a completely overmatched opponent. Earlier this season, in an ugly display of bad sportsmanship, the Gorillas ran the score up to 87-0 against helpless little Panhandle State. (Currently Panhandle is 0-7 with four losses by at least 50 points.)

Apparently they don't have character-education courses at Pittsburg of Kansas but they do have plenty of punks in the football office. Presumably when Pittsburg of Kansas meets a real opponent in the playoffs it will collapse as usual

Rain Man
10-26-2006, 10:33 AM
I wonder if their coach's name is Bill Cowherstate.

Phobia
10-26-2006, 10:35 AM
They're Gorillas, what do you expect?

I don't have enough information to reach the same conclusion as the author. Is points scored a post-season tie-breaker in Div II?

Cochise
10-26-2006, 10:39 AM
This isn't anything new.

DMAC
10-26-2006, 10:42 AM
My grandpa loves them.

Pitt Gorilla
10-26-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't know if they were trying to run up the score or not. There are far better ways to knock PSU down than to talk about running up the score. The author should look at the starting tailback and his backup, who were both in trouble with the law for a bar fight. In my book, they should have been off the team. In Broyle's book, you can't lose a starting tailback. I had thought PSU was above crap like that, but evidently, winning is the only thing that matters. It's amusing that Pitt fans used to make fun of CMSU for doing the same thing that they're doing now.

In all honesty, PSU plays some poor teams. The author is correct in stating that they will likely fall on their faces in the playoffs, if they reach them.

Kyle401
10-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Are you trying to say that the Bearcats are not quality competition?

Frazod
10-26-2006, 10:59 AM
But it's okay for schools like Texas to beat a non-conference opponents by 70 points, right? :shake:

Running up the score is chickenshit, but calling out some podunk school nobody outside of Kansas ever heard of while looking the other way while major schools do it all the time is hypocrasy at its finest.

rageeumr
10-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Thank God UMR got out of the MIAA. I used to cringe when we'd play Pitt St. Although we pulled one out on CMSU when they were ranked during our last season in the MIAA.

Kyle401
10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
But it's okay for schools like Texas to beat a non-conference opponents by 70 points, right? :shake:

Running up the score is chickenshit, but calling out some podunk school nobody outside of Kansas ever heard of while looking the other way while major schools do it all the time is hypocrasy at its finest.

Actually, if you have read Easterbrook's articles for the last several years, he blasts collegiate and high school coaches at all levels for running up the score. He has repeatedly blasted "football factory" schools for scheduling only 2-3 difficult opponents per year and playing more games at home than on the road.

On the other hand, he believes that professionals should be prepared for what they get, but the football gods will exact vengence for needlessly humiliating your opponent.

Pitt Gorilla
10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Are you trying to say that the Bearcats are not quality competition?I think you're smarter than that. PSU plays some poor teams. They also play a few very good teams, like Northwest. I assume NW will beat PSU, given Pitt's propensity to choke in big games. My point was PSU runs over some teams because they aren't very good; not all of the teams on PSU's schedule are of Northwest's calibur.

Do you feel better now?

Frazod
10-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Actually, if you have read Easterbrook's articles for the last several years, he blasts collegiate and high school coaches at all levels for running up the score. He has repeatedly blasted "football factory" schools for scheduling only 2-3 difficult opponents per year and playing more games at home than on the road.

On the other hand, he believes that professionals should be prepared for what they get, but the football gods will exact vengence for needlessly humiliating your opponent.

Then I withdraw my criticism.

rageeumr
10-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I got reprimanded for running up the score at our last flag football game. Yes, we were running go patterns and deep posts every play when we were up 24-6 with 2 minutes left, but it's REC LEAGUE FLAG FOOTBALL. We should do all that we can to relive the glory days, right?

Kyle401
10-26-2006, 11:14 AM
I think you're smarter than that. PSU plays some poor teams. They also play a few very good teams, like Northwest. I assume NW will beat PSU, given Pitt's propensity to choke in big games. My point was PSU runs over some teams because they aren't very good; not all of the teams on PSU's schedule are of Northwest's calibur.

Do you feel better now?

You may be giving me too much credit but, yeah sorry. My post was intended to be sarcastic. SBU's football team is terrible. :shake:

Fire Me Boy!
10-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I don't know if they were trying to run up the score or not. There are far better ways to knock PSU down than to talk about running up the score. The author should look at the starting tailback and his backup, who were both in trouble with the law for a bar fight. In my book, they should have been off the team. In Broyle's book, you can't lose a starting tailback. I had thought PSU was above crap like that, but evidently, winning is the only thing that matters. It's amusing that Pitt fans used to make fun of CMSU for doing the same thing that they're doing now.

In all honesty, PSU plays some poor teams. The author is correct in stating that they will likely fall on their faces in the playoffs, if they reach them.
It was particularly funny last year when CMSU beat the tar out of Pitt State.

I'm not sure about Pitt, but CMSU beat some teams 80+ to 7, but it wasn't for lack of trying to slow down... I shot one game last year like that where they couldn't do anything wrong... like the other team couldn't stop FB runs up the gut. One game I saw three 50+ yard runs by the FB, and they weren't flashy plays.. straight up the middle.

Saulbadguy
10-26-2006, 11:41 AM
There is no place to get a quality education in SE Kansas.

Demonpenz
10-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Box Score (Final)
#3 Pittsburg State vs Missouri-Rolla (Sep 25, 2004 at Rolla, Mo.)

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
Pittsburg State..... 7 35 21 28 - 91 Record: (5-0,3-0)
Missouri-Rolla...... 0 0 7 20 - 27 Record: (1-4,0-3)

Scoring Summary:
1st 01:59 PSU - Ward,Mike 21 yd pass from Philpot,Neal (Alleman,Nathan kick), 11-89 4:05, PSU 7 - UMR 0
2nd 13:26 PSU - Race,Germaine 7 yd run (Alleman,Nathan kick), 6-40 2:29, PSU 14 - UMR 0
11:28 PSU - Majors,Andy 14 yd run (Alleman,Nathan kick), 5-64 1:27, PSU 21 - UMR 0
08:32 PSU - Carpenter,J. 70 yd pass from Philpot,Neal (Alleman,Nathan kick), 4-80 1:21, PSU 28 - UMR 0
03:04 PSU - Majors,Andy 5 yd run (Alleman,Nathan kick), 4-59 0:51, PSU 35 - UMR 0
00:55 PSU - Philpot,Neal 21 yd run (Alleman,Nathan kick), 6-52 1:02, PSU 42 - UMR 0
3rd 12:31 PSU - Austin,Tim 51 yd pass from Philpot,Neal (Alleman,Nathan kick), 3-58 1:16, PSU 49 - UMR 0
08:18 PSU - Philpot,Neal 26 yd run (Alleman,Nathan kick), 2-64 0:34, PSU 56 - UMR 0
05:10 PSU - Twito,Brandon 12 yd pass from Majors,Andy (Alleman,Nathan kick), 6-71 2:06, PSU 63 - UMR 0
02:32 UMR - Fischer,Brett 2 yd pass from Landry,Brandon (Lunsford,Trey kick), 9-80 2:38, PSU 63 - UMR 7
4th 14:09 UMR - Gronewald,Ashton 6 yd pass from Landry,Brandon (Lunsford,Trey kick failed), 9-57 2:14, PSU 63 - UMR 13
11:00 PSU - Clawson,Eric 17 yd pass from Majors,Andy (Alleman,Nathan kick), 7-65 3:03, PSU 70 - UMR 13
07:56 UMR - Smith,Antwan 14 yd pass from Landry,Brandon (Lunsford,Trey kick), 11-80 3:04, PSU 70 - UMR 20
06:02 PSU - Bean,Justin 3 yd run (Alleman,Nathan kick), 5-64 1:54, PSU 77 - UMR 20
05:28 PSU - Walters,Dustin 8 yd run (Alleman,Nathan kick), 2-23 0:36, PSU 84 - UMR 20
05:12 PSU - Bean,Justin 18 yd run (Alleman,Nathan kick), 1-18 0:08, PSU 91 - UMR 20
01:03 UMR - Criss,Lagarius 11 yd pass from Becker,Mark (Lunsford,Trey kick), 8-68 3:59, PSU 91 - UMR 27

PSU UMR
FIRST DOWNS................... 35 27
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 46-402 37-152
PASSING YDS (NET)............. 407 231
Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 32-20-0 53-26-2
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 78-809 90-383
Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............ 2-10 0-0
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 1-54 9-190
Interception Returns-Yards.... 2-17 0-0
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 1-19.0 6-39.7
Fumbles-Lost.................. 4-1 3-3
Penalties-Yards............... 8-92 3-18
Possession Time............... 27:56 32:04
Third-Down Conversions........ 7 of 10 4 of 17
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 1 of 2 5 of 6
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 9-10 4-4
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 2-15 0-0

RUSHING: Pittsburg State-Race,Germaine 11-145; Philpot,Neal 10-79;
Majors,Andy 9-79; Bean,Justin 12-76; Collums,Tyler 3-15; Walters,Dustin 1-8.
Missouri-Rolla-Ingram,Delane 14-46; Landry,Brandon 12-45; Byers,Jeff 7-40;
Lester,Dan 4-21.

PASSING: Pittsburg State-Majors,Andy 12-18-0-214; Philpot,Neal
8-14-0-193. Missouri-Rolla-Landry,Brandon 24-51-2-200; Becker,Mark 2-2-0-31.

RECEIVING: Pittsburg State-Austin,Tim 5-132; Carpenter,J. 3-93;
Clawson,Eric 3-69; Ward,Mike 3-66; Bean,Justin 3-24; Brittingham,J. 1-13;
Twito,Brandon 1-12; Race,Germaine 1-minus 2. Missouri-Rolla-Gronewald,Ashton
5-26; Ingram,Delane 4-30; Lester,Dan 3-29; Fischer,Brett 3-27; Mazzi,Chris
3-19; Smith,Antwan 2-37; Shin,Phil 2-22; Drussa,Cole 2-10; Johnson,Jeremy
1-20; Criss,Lagarius 1-11.

INTERCEPTIONS: Pittsburg State-Miller,Chad 1-0; Veasley,Vernard 1-17.91

Demonpenz
10-26-2006, 11:48 AM
We took care of the gorilla's at home this year, but I doubt the gorilla's were ready to play. I took them out to wiley's before the game

DMAC
10-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Have they ever cracked 100?

Pitt Gorilla
10-26-2006, 11:50 AM
You may be giving me too much credit but, yeah sorry. My post was intended to be sarcastic. SBU's football team is terrible. :shake:Sorry. I always felt badly for SBU because the kids always seemed so nice.

Cochise
10-26-2006, 11:56 AM
Thank God UMR got out of the MIAA. I used to cringe when we'd play Pitt St. Although we pulled one out on CMSU when they were ranked during our last season in the MIAA.

I remember when I was at Northwest hearing a football player say how they hated playing Rolla, because they had to drive all the way down there just to kick the hell out of them.

And the aforementioned southwest baptist, I heard a different one that I had a class with say that a player on the o-line at the end of a blowout was telling the defense the play that was coming and they still couldn't stop it.

Kyle401
10-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Sorry. I always felt badly for SBU because the kids always seemed so nice.

If you went to a BB game last year at SBU, you might not feel so bad. I personally didn't have a problem with the students razzing the other team, but some of their opponents seemed to. Basically one kid dressed up like a blind ref and put an eye chart up on the wall every time the refs made a marginal call. They also chanted "Whoopi Goldberg" at kids with long dreads. There was some other "bad behavior" but I forget what it was.

The local paper recieved some letters of complaint from opposing fans.

FTR... I didn't go to SBU or grow up in the area.

ChiefsCountry
10-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Its the pussification of America being continued. Heck me and some my buddies got scolded by some people for arguing calls during an intramural game and saying that winning is just a nice gesture. I say BS on all of it.

jidar
10-26-2006, 12:55 PM
I went to Pittburg highschool and Pittsburg State University, it's my hometown after all, and I'm a Pittstate fan (semi, not rabid, don't go to too many games).
I have to admit though, it's all true.

jidar
10-26-2006, 01:00 PM
In all fairness though, Division 2 playoffs are based on regional rankings which use a formula that is weighted heavily based on strength of schedule and then score. Pitt State HAS to blowout weaker teams or they drop in the rankings. The real thing they do wrong is playing so many weak teams in the first place.

DenverDanChiefsFan
10-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Southwest Baptist was a conference game - if they can't hang go to D3.

DenverDanChiefsFan
10-26-2006, 01:19 PM
He also needs to check the stats on the Panhandle - Pitt State only threw 26 passes - 2nd string QB in the 3rd qtr and had their 3rd string QB in the 3rd qtr. The starting RB came out at 1/2 time. When you are playing your 2nd and 3rd team you want to get them live game reps for depth. Just because this team is the Raiders of D2 - no one should play them?

Their problem is their coaches either quit or were fired. D2football.com had job openings for several coaches for the team.

The Dude Abides
10-26-2006, 01:19 PM
F*ck that douchbag, GO PITTSTATE! But I guess its ok to run up the score and pass in the 4th if you are up by 20 and your name is Peyton. F*ck the Colts and this douchbag. GO PITTSTATE! Normally I'm not this pissed but that just got me going.

DenverDanChiefsFan
10-26-2006, 01:23 PM
F*ck that douchbag, GO PITTSTATE! But I guess its ok to run up the score and pass in the 4th if you are up by 20 and your name is Payton. F*ck the Colts and this douchbag. GO PITTSTATE! Normally I'm not this pissed but that just got me going.

:clap::clap:

The Dude Abides
10-26-2006, 01:24 PM
And by the way, my parents go to church with the Pitt State football coach and say he is nicest guy in the world.

DenverDanChiefsFan
10-26-2006, 01:29 PM
There is no place to get a quality education in SE Kansas.:rolleyes:
right....

Alton deFlat
10-26-2006, 02:05 PM
I was going to keep quiet regarding Easterbrook's column, but f.i.
When he first wrote about Pitt State "running up" the score in 2004, I sent him an e-mail. I didn't really expect a reply, but I actually received one from him. He told me not to take his column too seriously. He went to say that he tells some of my other readers this, "TMQ isn't a hard news column, it's an entertainment column, it's humor and goofy stuff, I'm going to have to be cognizant about that, but I don't see it as a huge obstacle. " He ended his e-mail by saying, "Go Pitt".
Nearly every week Easterbrook mentions some college or high school, that he feels, has been unfair to it's opponent. On September 4, he said this about Central Missouri State, "Central Missouri State University 78, Lincoln on Missouri 0. Ahead 59-0 at the start of the fourth quarter, Central Missouri nonetheless kept passing the ball in a frantic attempt to run up the score. Hey, CMSU coach Willie Fritz -- you should be ashamed of teaching your players such bad sportsmanship. Here you can listen to the Central Missouri marching band play the school fight song, "Go Mules."
He even scolded a high school player from West Virginia a few ago for having 650 yards rushing in one game.
Regarding his comments this week that even though they led 49-17 in the fourth quarter they continued to pass, relentlessly trying to run up the score. Pitt attempted four passes in the fourth quarter, all by the third string QB. Only 13 passes for the entire game. Considering that their starting QB is out for the season, you have can't expect these back-ups to take a knee every down. In the words of Dennis Francione, it's not my job to stop my offense, that's the job of the opposing defense
Regarding Pitt Gorillas comments on the starting and back-up tailback being in a bar fight. Yea, they were, but that's all it was, a fight. The guy that pressed charges got a black eye. Nothing more! When you come out of the bar, and say "don't lean on my car you f****** n*****, you better expect to your ass kicked.
I can't agree with the choking comment either. Two years ago they made it to the championship game, and last year, even though they were the fifth seed, they beat two higher seeded teams on the road, before falling in the quarter finals. They are struggling defensively this year, but did defeat a very good Washburn team a few weeks ago.
OK, I'm off my soapbox. Sorry to have rambled.

The Dude Abides
10-26-2006, 03:28 PM
All I know is, if I'm not allowed to get offended by "hey you f*cking cracker" that other fellow shouldnt be offended either. And nobody should lean on a car that is not theirs, white or black.

Reaper16
10-26-2006, 04:38 PM
That guy is an idiot, and he's been blasting Pitt for years. Yes, score is an influence on regional rankings tiebreakers for DII, but Pitt doesn't go out and score points on lesser foes for the sake of scoring points. Those 60+ point games are products of 3rd stringers taking basic plays in for scores.

SBU was a conference game, so its not as if Pitt's entire schedule is seeking out weak foes. They do "Bill Snyder" it a little bit. They like to play Panhandle State, which is terrible. The always beat them by 60+ points, at least. In contrast, Northwest played UNO, which is 2nd in thier region and top ten nationally. UNO lost 31-0. Ha.)

The biggest problem is Easteregg blasting the Pitt athletic department. He wouldn't DARE say the same about a D1 program; he'd be fired under pressure. He's a punk ass who doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't e-mail him, becuase that is exactly the reaction he wants. I simply don't read his trashy column.

Rooster
10-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Regarding Pitt Gorillas comments on the starting and back-up tailback being in a bar fight. Yea, they were, but that's all it was, a fight. The guy that pressed charges got a black eye. Nothing more! When you come out of the bar, and say "don't lean on my car you f****** n*****, you better expect to your ass kicked.

I know the kid that got clocked by Race. I heard a different story all together. I'm not saying it's right but very different. :hmmm:

Kyle401
11-08-2006, 10:42 AM
Two weeks ago TMQ took another shot at Pittsburg of Kansas, college football's worst offender at running up the score -- in 2004, on the way to the highest-scoring season in college football history, the Gorillas faked a punt when leading 63-7. I noted that Pittsburg of Kansas had relentlessly run up the score on its weakest opponents this season, winning one game 87-0 and another 63-20. I pointed out that not only is running up the score bad sportsmanship, but also such little-bully behavior makes you psychologically weak, and you fold when confronted with an equal opponent. Following its record 2004 regular season, the Gorillas lost the Division II championship to Valdosta State of Georgia. "Presumably when Pittsburg of Kansas meets a real opponent it will collapse as usual," TMQ wrote of this year's iteration. As noted by many readers, including Ian Carlson of Maryville, Mo., Pittsburg of Kansas met Northwest Missouri State on Saturday at Arrowhead Stadium and collapsed as usual, losing 41-14.

Cochise
11-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Those 60+ point games are products of 3rd stringers taking basic plays in for scores.

In 2004, on the way to the highest-scoring season in college football history, the Gorillas faked a punt when leading 63-7

BIG_DADDY
11-08-2006, 11:16 AM
ESPN has become teh gay.

CosmicPal
11-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Pitt State Rules!

Reaper16
11-08-2006, 03:07 PM
In 2004, on the way to the highest-scoring season in college football history, the Gorillas faked a punt when leading 63-7
Easterbrook is never one to check the facts. That "fake punt" wasn't a designed fake; it was a botched snap. A busted play. I can't blame the punter for picking the ball up and running with it.

Fact is, there is a big difference between the starters running up the score and the 3rd stringers getting play experience.

eazyb81
11-08-2006, 03:23 PM
For anyone that saw the game, Northwest roughed up Pitt State pretty good last weekend and look like they will make a run for their 2nd straight D2 championship game appearance.

Go Bearcats!

chiefbowe82
11-08-2006, 03:25 PM
My current math teach used to be the RB at Pitt State. He was there when Kendall Gammon was there.

morphius
11-08-2006, 03:33 PM
That guy is an idiot, and he's been blasting Pitt for years. Yes, score is an influence on regional rankings tiebreakers for DII, but Pitt doesn't go out and score points on lesser foes for the sake of scoring points. Those 60+ point games are products of 3rd stringers taking basic plays in for scores.

SBU was a conference game, so its not as if Pitt's entire schedule is seeking out weak foes. They do "Bill Snyder" it a little bit. They like to play Panhandle State, which is terrible. The always beat them by 60+ points, at least. In contrast, Northwest played UNO, which is 2nd in thier region and top ten nationally. UNO lost 31-0. Ha.)

The biggest problem is Easteregg blasting the Pitt athletic department. He wouldn't DARE say the same about a D1 program; he'd be fired under pressure. He's a punk ass who doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't e-mail him, becuase that is exactly the reaction he wants. I simply don't read his trashy column.
That is what I was wondering, is it their first stringers or backups out there in those games?

They used to bitch about Nebraska doing the same thing. They have their third string players out there in the 4th quarter and the other team still couldn't stop them. The only other real option was to just kneel on every play and play D on their knees.

HemiEd
11-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Pittsburg of Kansas faked a punt while leading 63-7.

ROFL Now that is brutal.

*edit* read the whole thread now, botched snap.

Alton deFlat
11-08-2006, 03:40 PM
That is what I was wondering, is it their first stringers or backups out there in those games?

They used to bitch about Nebraska doing the same thing. They have their third string players out there in the 4th quarter and the other team still couldn't stop them. The only other real option was to just kneel on every play and play D on their knees.

It's their second and third string players... and like reaper said, the fake punt wasn't a design play. It wasn't even the starting punter in there at the time. The back-up QB was in punt formation, and he was to roll out and punt the ball rugby style, but it was botched. The coaching wasn't too happy about it afterwards. But that doesn't show up in the play-by-play stats.
BTW, easzyb is right. Unless NWMS stubs their toe, they prbably will win the NC.

Reaper16
11-08-2006, 04:14 PM
BTW, easzyb is right. Unless NWMS stubs their toe, they prbably will win the NC.
As much as I 'd like to be able to say that from my perch here at Northwest, I'm not going anywhere near that far. Grand Valley State, the 22,000 + enrollment school that should be D1, the school that beat us last year and that has won it all like 4 of the last 3 years or something :), is still pretty damn good. It does look for all the world that Grand Valley and NW are on a collision course, though Grand Valley will have to play the SE region winner in a tough game against UNA, most likely.