PDA

View Full Version : Our D Line

Luzap
10-26-2006, 04:13 PM
I've watched the game, and I've watched it again...

How did our D Line do so well against the Bolts?
Did we sneek in some other teams DTs?
They were getting pressure up the middle on a reasonable amount of plays and clogging up the running lanes. We played a good part of the first half in their backfield.

What happened? I haven't heard much discussion on this and I find it to be the most amazing aspect of the game. For that matter, our O Line was blowing people off the ball too :shrug:

Were the Bolts playing that bad, or did we take a big step forward?

Luz
any thoughts???...

DMAC
10-26-2006, 04:16 PM
any thoughts???

They are improving?

Luzap
10-26-2006, 04:23 PM
They are improving?

That's the question.

Was it an abberation, or signs of things to come? If you think about it, it was pretty major improvement.

Luz
and there was much rejoicing...

Easy 6
10-26-2006, 04:24 PM
I believe it shows just what an ass kicking can do to a teams pride. They either mail it in or come out on fire like someone punched dey momma. Our boys responded like the latter. And i can also imagine them being real FUGGIN tired of hearing how they were outmatched and were gonna get stomped in the media.

chiefbowe82
10-26-2006, 04:25 PM
This team WILL make the playoffs

MOhillbilly
10-26-2006, 04:25 PM
speed at the ends and strong LB play.

DMAC
10-26-2006, 04:27 PM
That's the question.

Was it an abberation, or signs of things to come? If you think about it, it was pretty major improvement.

Luz
and there was much rejoicing...Sorry, that wasn't a question...that was my answer.

DaFace
10-26-2006, 04:28 PM
I think one of the major improvements I saw in this game was the interior line actually seemed to get some pressure. Edwards is doing a pretty good job in there.

chiefbowe82
10-26-2006, 04:30 PM
It was motivation from the fans that they will need to take on the road.

Easy 6
10-26-2006, 04:33 PM
I have often stated my love for all of the funny threads here but it is nice to have some football talk going again. Another thing i forgot to mention was how well i thought Wilkerson played at DT, he could be Most Improved Player by seasons end.

MOhillbilly
It was motivation from the fans that they will need to take on the road.

are you drunk?

Spicy McHaggis
Jared Allen did a couple beer bongs before the game.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2006, 04:34 PM
both side of the line played better than usual

i was surprised by the way the Oline held up too.

the Talking Can
10-26-2006, 04:38 PM
I haven't seen many of the games...wish I could say...very curious to see Reed and Wilkerson and Edwards....does Sims contribute anything?

Herm did say, I think, that they decided to rotate less to have their starters in more snaps...which sounds like an indictment of our backups (Sims) and may be why the D faded some in the 2nd half...

but watching on SOPcast doesn't allow me to see who is doing what really.....(and no, I'm not complaining, it is way better than nothing)

MOhillbilly
10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
imo all the interior DTs have played in fits and starts but nothing consistant enough to say anyone guy is a bright spot.

underEJ
10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
I think one of the major improvements I saw in this game was the interior line actually seemed to get some pressure. Edwards is doing a pretty good job in there.

I think you are right. The Steelers game the front four were completely inadequate, and it didn't seem like an adjustment was made to help them until the third quarter when things were way past grim. A much better defensive plan for san diego and better execution by the front four to not need as much help to get some pressure.

chiefbowe82
10-26-2006, 04:44 PM
are you drunk?

No MOhillbilly it's been proven they play well at home and will need to take it on the road

MOhillbilly
10-26-2006, 04:47 PM
are you drunk?

No MOhillbilly it's been proven they play well at home and will need to take it on the road

are you sure?

why cant they just play hard for things like team pride,self pride,kc pride?

thats why i have a problem w/ who this team is. and when/if they find it will it be to late?

htismaqe
10-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Sims was in on a couple of the big plays in the 1st half. I had to look twice because I thought I was imagining things.

chiefbowe82
10-26-2006, 04:49 PM
well sure they take pride in what they do but they are far more motivated at home and play much better than on the road.
IE-Pittsburg

MOhillbilly
10-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Sims was in on a couple of the big plays in the 1st half. I had to look twice because I thought I was imagining things.

he has played alright the past 3 games.
i was sooooooo wrong about the kind of year he would have.

Mr. Laz
10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
maybe by sitting out 80% of the plays now, he's decided that he can actually give 100%.

Stewie
10-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Hicks was in on a couple of plays too, when SD made big plays. Hmmm... Wilkerson looked good. It may be that opponent's O-line is so worried about our DE's that an average DT will do the job.

htismaqe
10-26-2006, 05:01 PM
maybe by sitting out 80% of the plays now, he's decided that he can actually give 100%.

I think it's more that by sitting out 80% of the time, his out-of-shape ass doesn't get worn down as fast.

penchief
10-26-2006, 05:22 PM
imo all the interior DTs have played in fits and starts but nothing consistant enough to say anyone guy is a bright spot.

That's the way it starts turning around. First, playing consistently poor. Then playing well in spurts. Then, playing consistently well.

I like Herm's influence on the way the team is trending.

htismaqe
10-26-2006, 05:24 PM
I personally like just about everything I see from James Reed.

He's not an all-pro but he's immensely better than what we've had here since the late 90's.

RedThat
10-26-2006, 05:35 PM
I personally like just about everything I see from James Reed.

He's not an all-pro but he's immensely better than what we've had here since the late 90's.

Yeah I agree. James Reed has looked solid.

RedThat
10-26-2006, 05:37 PM
both side of the line played better than usual

i was surprised by the way the Oline held up too.

I agree. Sampson can still use some work pass blocking though.

Halfcan
10-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Jimmy Wilkerson is a stud and should be in their as much as posible. All the guy does is make big plays.

Calcountry
10-26-2006, 06:26 PM
I have often stated my love for all of the funny threads here but it is nice to have some football talk going again. Another thing i forgot to mention was how well i thought Wilkerson played at DT, he could be Most Improved Player by seasons end.Kind of nice seeing Rivers not able to step up in the pocket to avoid our speed rush from the outside eh?

brent102fire
10-26-2006, 06:27 PM
I also saw Ryan Sims make some nice plays. He pushed the O-linemen into the backfield and definately held his ground against one of the "Best O-Lines" in the NFL...Heck, was even double teamed at times :clap:

Calcountry
10-26-2006, 06:27 PM
are you drunk?

No MOhillbilly it's been proven they play well at home and will need to take it on the roadI am sure that our DLine is aided by the noise at home.

Halfcan
10-26-2006, 06:29 PM
I also saw Ryan Sims make some nice plays. He pushed the O-linemen into the backfield and definately held his ground against one of the "Best O-Lines" in the NFL...Heck, was even double teamed at times :clap:

I saw Simms make some nice plays at Krispy Creme too? He pushed his way to the front of a very tough line and held that spot eating doughnuts til cops double teamed him and hauled him out.

Direckshun
10-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't think there's any debate about why the O-line is playing better. Herm Edwards addressed it before the season started:

"You hope to be better on week 4 than you were on week 1. You hope to be better on week 8 than you were on week 4..."

The O-line isn't patchwork anymore. They've finally been healthy and played together for a month -- and while that isn't very long for most lines, our line has proven that, surprise surprise, not only are Black through Sampson pretty talented linemen, they're also incredibly fast adjusters (Black especially). You'll notice Tony G doesn't have to block as much now.

On the defensive side, Gunther's outdone himself. He found a perfect defensive formula for the San Diego game, and only slightly broke down in the second half -- and dammit, it held when it had to.

I'm not taking any credit away from the D-line, who've played very well. But Gunther is putting the right people in the right places (Hali in the falcon FTW) at the right times. Things have pieced together, and finally we have a front seven that is worthy of our top notch secondary.

Easy 6
10-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Kind of nice seeing Rivers not able to step up in the pocket to avoid our speed rush from the outside eh?
It really was, against pitt you could damn near draw a mathematically perfect semi-circle around David Lee Roethlisberger.

dtebbe
10-26-2006, 07:32 PM
I think most of it is that Allen and Hali were raising absolute hell on the edges, and the interior O line was having to help

DT

ct
10-27-2006, 02:59 PM
football threads get a bump

Easy 6
10-27-2006, 03:34 PM
football threads get a bump
I like this football threads blitzkrieg tactic, Europe had no answer for it and neither will the Planet.